Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well, we obviously don't have to use all of our cap space on a renegotiation.

The entire reason that nobody ever thought that Sabonis would sign an extension is that he would be eligible for a contract starting a bit north of $40M as a free agent next year, but we could only give him an extension starting at something like $23.5M (120% of previous salary). That's an obvious no-go.

But with the renegotiate-and-extend gambit, paired with the new CBA's 140% raise in the first year of the extension, there's a lot of room there. It looks like we could give Sabonis a $10M renegotiation-raise to $29.4M for this season, and then extend starting at 140% of that - that's $41M to start. Domas' max salary is 30% of the cap - this year that would be $40.8 but the actual value would be based on next year's salary cap, which we don't know yet. At any rate the 10% cap smoothing introduced in the new CBA means that 30% of the cap can't be any higher than $44.9M - we'd have to give Sabonis about $12.5M in the renegotiation to fully cover that possibility.

The interesting thing is that Domas appears to be eligible for a Designated Veteran extension, which he appears to be eligible for because he was named to the All-NBA third team this year. So...technically we could give him the DV extension (up to 35% of the salary cap in the first season) without having to worry about the 140% rule and therefore without a renegotiation this offseason. It seems odd to blow cap space to avoid using the DV, but I guess there must be reasons. Do we really think we're going to have two guys (Fox + ??) that will be on the DV, and leave Sabonis off it?

Anyway, even with a renegotiation we should be able to retain about $20M of cap space for other purposes.
The DV is the "super max" - we can't do that because it requires ownership of his original contract.

Gotta say that im not super sad about Collins to Utah. I dont think he makes much sense next to Markenen (they are kind of redundant) and with Kessler, one of them will need to play the 3 (probably Markenen). I dont see him chasing 3s around the perimeter as a very good defensive tactic. But at least they made a move. Im worried what if any moves we make, because im not super enamored with available free agents except Grant, who im higher on than most. Id be ok with Middleton, but not for $30. Would not want to spend more than $18-20M on Kuzma...so i dont see any top tier (as far as this year's FA) that we should spend our cap on. Running it back with increased production off the bench may be good (go after Cam Johnson for $20M add combo of 2 othersSeth Curry, Bruce Brown, Grant Williams, PJW, Brook Lopez, Caris Lavert, Rui Hachimora AND run HB and Lyles, id be ok with that as well (less so). But if anything was learned from this years nuggets, production at all levels of your role players and 2 stars can still win.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I believe a team that trades for the rookie contract can use it, but any trade after the rookie deal takes it off the table.
Ah yes, that would be it.

It's funny that the league requires player approval for a trade under certain circumstances that would remove Bird rights, but not a trade that would remove DV rights - which could potentially have cost Domas a lot of money.

Anyway, 30% max it is, which means that about $12.5M of renegotiated raise would be enough.

It’s my favorite part of the offseason:
Kings fans get upset about a hypothetical trade they got excited about for no reason that does or doesn’t happen

I will reserve judgement until a couple of weeks into Free Agency, but Monte better have a better plan than to just "run it back" with essentially the same team. He could have "run it back" without trading away our 1st round pick for nothing.

I will reserve judgement until a couple of weeks into Free Agency, but Monte better have a better plan than to just "run it back" with essentially the same team. He could have "run it back" without trading away our 1st round pick for nothing.
I don't see him clearing cap just to run it back. He could have done that without dumping a 1st round pick in the process. If he runs it back it will be because of a lack of options but if he doesn't think this team can take it to the next level, and so far by the rumors of a Beal offer and moves he's already made he clearly doesn't believe that, then he's better off doing what Vlade did the season he got Barnes. Save your space and flexibility and then strike at the deadline. Don't try and salvage space with options E, F, and G and end up with dead weight on your books. If Monte can't land a star type I think he'll start looking at the Grant Williams types that at least fill a direct need at a lower cost than a star type.

it appears part of the goal is to extend Sabonis and that likely could not have been done without the trade. I assume he has 2 free agents he is after and if those fall through worst case scenerio he has a locked up sabonis, Barnes and Sasha.

it appears part of the goal is to extend Sabonis and that likely could not have been done without the trade. I assume he has 2 free agents he is after and if those fall through worst case scenerio he has a locked up sabonis, Barnes and Sasha.
The only sticking issue on that being the plan is that Shams basically came out and said the Wizards were sitting on an offer for Beal from Sacramento. The Sabonis thing can happen based on a lack of options elsewhere but the aggressive Monte we've seen isn't worried about Domas right now. You still have all the advantages of Domas entering FA if you're the Kings.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
One of the players that McNair must be targeting for a trade is Bobby Portis. He is PERFECT for the Kings. He's got the length (6'11"), the rebounding (9.6/game), and the outside shooting, all of which perfectly complement Sabonis and Fox. Also, unlike Brook Lopez, who is on the downhill slide, Portis is just entering his prime (age 28), so again he fits perfectly with the age of this team. And he's an enforcer. No one fools around with Bug Eyes. If Middleton is going to cost the Bucks a fortune, and they can't see themselves without Lopez, something has got to give and maybe, just maybe they will part ways with Portis for salary cap reasons.

The only sticking issue on that being the plan is that Shams basically came out and said the Wizards were sitting on an offer for Beal from Sacramento. The Sabonis thing can happen based on a lack of options elsewhere but the aggressive Monte we've seen isn't worried about Domas right now. You still have all the advantages of Domas entering FA if you're the Kings.
He traded a future multi time all star for Domas so the sooner he locks him up the better I’d say. I do wonder if he could have traded Holmes to a salary floor team like the spurs for less than a first. Teams have to spend the cap space now and spurs have like 60 mil to burn. I assume we will know this weekend if Monte already had something lined up

He traded a future multi time all star for Domas so the sooner he locks him up the better I’d say. I do wonder if he could have traded Holmes to a salary floor team like the spurs for less than a first. Teams have to spend the cap space now and spurs have like 60 mil to burn. I assume we will know this weekend if Monte already had something lined up
I'm sure Monte knew the going rate and actually, that's where moving the first adds to the plan as some have brought including @Capt. Factorial IIRC since you don't have that cap hold on your books as well. Holmes was the worst value contract in the league. It was all right there the entire time. No team is paying that kind of money per year to a backup C. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and this is a warning about the future of Davion Mitchell in Sac. Right now, you DO NOT overpay backup PG's and C's. Just don't do it. They have a cap on value period.

I’m really curious what all the national guys are hearing that has all of them on the edge of their seats.
These are the same guys who gave up on fox, said Hali was getting DNPs in Sac, and shat the bed on the sabonis trade as well as the murray pick. I doubt they know anything more than us BUT it does look like the Kings are ready to make a huge move.

What I would NOT be ok with is throwing $20M+ at Kuzma. Im not as down on him as some and do think he fits, just not defensively (hopefully mike brown changes that), but i think $20M is his max level. Id be ok with him at 18-20M

I would be happy with Grant signing along with Bringing back Barnes and either lyles or Sasha (ideally Lyles).

Id be ok with Cam Johnson for around Kuzma price (i think he has more growth potential than Kuzma) along with a Bruce Brown/Seth Curry/PJW/Grant Williams addition along with bringing back Barnes.

Id be very ok with trade to absorb OG or Siakam (but i dont know why Toronto would give them to us for Cap relief and 2 distant firsts...

I just am worried we get just Kuz at a stupid price but again, if you keep it reasonable AND bring back barne and lyles/sasha, i think you made progress... Just not as much as we were hoping for.

These are the same guys who gave up on fox, said Hali was getting DNPs in Sac, and shat the bed on the sabonis trade as well as the murray pick. I doubt they know anything more than us BUT it does look like the Kings are ready to make a huge move.

What I would NOT be ok with is throwing $20M+ at Kuzma. Im not as down on him as some and do think he fits, just not defensively (hopefully mike brown changes that), but i think $20M is his max level. Id be ok with him at 18-20M

I would be happy with Grant signing along with Bringing back Barnes and either lyles or Sasha (ideally Lyles).

Id be ok with Cam Johnson for around Kuzma price (i think he has more growth potential than Kuzma) along with a Bruce Brown/Seth Curry/PJW/Grant Williams addition along with bringing back Barnes.

Id be very ok with trade to absorb OG or Siakam (but i dont know why Toronto would give them to us for Cap relief and 2 distant firsts...

I just am worried we get just Kuz at a stupid price but again, if you keep it reasonable AND bring back barne and lyles/sasha, i think you made progress... Just not as much as we were hoping for.
If Monte can get Kuz for 18 million per then you do it and who gives a crap at that point hahaha. I don't think Kuz is going to look for that though and to be honest, he's worth far more than that to the right team, the question is whether this is the right team? And whether or not if the monetary aspect lines up with some other options if he's ahead of any of them. If anything he'd pull a Jerami Grant and just go to a place like the Pistons to fully showcase if teams are going to ignore him as a top FA.

If Monte can get Kuz for 18 million per then you do it and who gives a crap at that point hahaha. I don't think Kuz is going to look for that though and to be honest, he's worth far more than that to the right team, the question is whether this is the right team? And whether or not if the monetary aspect lines up with some other options if he's ahead of any of them. If anything he'd pull a Jerami Grant and just go to a place like the Pistons to fully showcase if teams are going to ignore him as a top FA.
I guess the good news is there is unlikely to be a bidding war with so few teams having cap room. Utah was considered a possible landing spot for him since he went to school there but now they are out. Detroit may try to throw stupid money at cam because of connection with his former coach. I wouldn’t totally rule the Wizards out as they may want to see what Kuz and Poole look like together and then maybe flip him at the deadline for picks if needed. If we don’t sign Barnes he is almost certainly to land in Indiana so not sure they are interested in Kuz.

I guess the good news is there is unlikely to be a bidding war with so few teams having cap room. Utah was considered a possible landing spot for him since he went to school there but now they are out. Detroit may try to throw stupid money at cam because of connection with his former coach. I wouldn’t totally rule the Wizards out as they may want to see what Kuz and Poole look like together and then maybe flip him at the deadline for picks if needed. If we don’t sign Barnes he is almost certainly to land in Indiana so not sure they are interested in Kuz.
I think Kuz fits Indiana more than Barnes, but i think Kuz could be good for us, just not for crazy money. I dont think if Kuz will the featured guy in Detroit anyways. I think Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey will still be options 1 and 2. For Kuz, that doesnt help his brand or monetarily unlike when Grant went there.

dude12

Hall of Famer

I’m really curious what all the national guys are hearing that has all of them on the edge of their seats.
Kings about to acquire Jaysom Tatum for Davion, Huerter, 12 future 1st round picks with varying degrees of protection.
Why does Boston do it…..they moved Smart and get his replacement in Davion, Red Velvet will bring back memories of Scalabrine. Bank on it

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m down with any of the following

Sign Kuzma or Grant for $20ish mill per
Bring back Lyles and sign Sasha
Bring back HB if the other options fail to materialize
Sign Bruce Brown and HB
I’m not as high as others on the Cam Johnson train although the 3 point shooting would be tremendous so maybe Brown and Cam

And while Monte is at it, make sure we have a backup center big body. If Neemias can be that guy great, if not, then Plumlee?

I think Kuz fits Indiana more than Barnes, but i think Kuz could be good for us, just not for crazy money. I dont think if Kuz will the featured guy in Detroit anyways. I think Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey will still be options 1 and 2. For Kuz, that doesnt help his brand or monetarily unlike when Grant went there.
I think the idea with Barnes in Indiana is the coach loves him and he is good friend with Hali

Hopefully but there's always a potential bidding war if the team letting them go wants something in return and a team over the cap can land them. The Wizards could very easily line up a sign and trade deal and it sounds like they may want to recoup some value out of him at the very least.

We have to see what happens in Portland first, but I almost think Kuz just re-signing with the Wiz is the best thing for both sides since the Wizards need to have some type of talent on their roster besides Poole. With Portland? They are in a totally different place than the Wizards. While the Wiz are so far behind on a rebuild the Blazers are that much farther ahead and apparently don't even realize it. Plain stupid too. Kings fans know what it's like to suffer and suffer, miss out and miss out to get the kind of young talent the Blazers would have left standing if they just give in and go with it. They could very well flush their own luck to keep a roster together built around a player in the last few years of his prime as a lottery team. Idiotic.

Jazz could be really good really soon, as could OKC.

Spurs and Blazers landed likely the two best prospects, and Rockets too had an excellent draft. The whole conference will likely be a bloodbath in a couple of years.
Every team could be good. But, at least 7 have to be lottery teams. And it’s more likely than not that the Jazz, Spurs, Blazers and Rockets will be among those 7 just as they were last season.

Last edited:
Many days later… still no word on what the Kings got back. I guess it’s safe to assume that we used a 1st round pick to straight up dump Holmes’ salary.

That’s a very poor management of assets.. how many times have teams used a 1st round pick to dump a contract in recent years?

We don’t even have anyone who’s guaranteed to sign with us. It’s different than the time the Warriors traded Bogut away to the Mavs to sign KD… they knew he was coming. What’s wrong with drafting OMax and then trading him with Holmes later if we do sign someone? I know not all teams may be high on OMax like the Mavs, but the move didn’t feel necessary.

Drafting a player and then trading him in the same offseason isn’t completely unheard of. The Cavs did it with Wiggins to get KLove

That’s not even close to true.

My first and only item of proof needed: John Wall at over 47M per last season (and earlier).

But if you need a current one for 2024 and beyond, look no further than Ben Simmons.
I was talking about at the time of this trade and relative to his value based on position and role. Worst value gets no worse than being healthy, and STILL not playing at a position where you are vastly overpaid compared to your backup counterparts. In Dallas if he starts he'll balance back out probably to being a net zero at least. But even Collins didn't have to have a first rounder stapled to his butt to get sent off. I will say, overall though that yes, as of now, Simmons is probably the worst contract in the league but he'll be a huge expiring after next season and we'll see if he steps back the court. If he does? He likely won't be a backup though. Holmes would have been.

How is Naz Reid able to sign a deal today with the Wolves when the free agency is not official until next week?
I don’t think there’s anything officially signed. Just from guessing, the Wolves are his current team so they’re allowed to have much earlier agreements on deals. It’s like if the Kings decided to resign Trey Lyles today
As @206Fan said, Naz Reid actually hasn't SIGNED anything yet. Both him and the Wolves have just agreed on terms for a new deal. That's it. It's merely a handshake. Nothing more. Nothing less. And, as @206Fan also said, players are allowed to discuss, negotiate, and eventually agree on, a deal with their current team prior to the actually "free agency" period begins.

Also, free agency actually begins at the end of this week, and not next.