Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

We just need to go 8-5 the rest of the way to get to 50 wins. That would be a phenomenal benchmark to hit coming off of 16 seasons where the Kings couldn't even win 40. Holding on to the #2 seed might take a little more but regardless this has already been above and beyond what anyone could expect for year 1 with Mike Brown. The sky is the limit for this team.
Just 8-5!

How times have changed :)

Freaking Spurs.. I hope the ping pong balls do not land on their name...

I am glad though that we're not arguing about who we are going to draft with our lottery pick. Playoff talk is much more fun than talking about lottery picks.
I understand not wanting to reward the Spurs but im also not interested in Detroit, Houston, or Orlando getting the top pick. They have all had more shots at top picks in the last several years and still suck.
I’m just happy to be done with our own lottery saga.

Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (7):
Hawks def. GSW
Bulls def. MIN
Rockets def. NOP
MEM def. LOLSpurs
Celtics def. POR
DAL def. LAL

Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):
DEN (47-23) 18, 12 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
SAC (42-27) --, 13 games remaining
MEM (42-27) 14, 13 games remaining, TB 2-2 (best conference win% gets TB, Kings currently lead)
PHX (38-32) 9, 12 games remaining, TB=Suns
LAC (37-33) 7, 12 games remaining, TB=Kings
GSW (36-35) 6, 11 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Playoffs ---
DAL (36-35) 6, 11 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
MIN (35-36) 5, 11 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
UTA (33-36) 5, 13 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
NOP (33-37) 4, 12 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Play-In Games ---
OKC (34-36) 4, 12 games remaining, TB=Kings
LAL (34-37) 3, 11 games remaining, TB=Kings
POR (31-39) 2, 12 games remaining, TB 1-1, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)

Tomorrow's games (7):
DEN at Knicks, 10 AM (!!!)
Magic at LAC, Noon
MIN at Raptors, 4 PM
SAC at Wizards, 5 PM
GSW at MEM, 5 PM
Celtics at UTA, 6 PM
Dallas and Golden State play in 2 days. So one of them will have to drop to 5. Since they straddle the play-off line it means our magic number is really 5 at this point to get to the play-offs.

Last edited:
I think most of us are checking all the scores multiple times every evening, and seeing the magic number move. Lot more fun than praying for ping pong balls.

From our perspective, Portland should also be officially out pretty soon. It's currently 2 down, 7 to go (for top-6). Will be sweet, as we keep pulling away and get into the zone where teams can't catch us even mathematically.
Yeah I want Portland in tank mode when we play them back to back.

Celtics had the worst record in the league and also had Dallas's pick with the 4th worst record in the league. They wound up with the 3 and 6 picks (Chauncey, promptly traded halfway into the season and Ron Mercer - forgettable).
Yep but i think the Spurs intentionally sat down a lot of their best players for games at a time

And guess when we play the Blazers in that back to back set! In 6 games!

So we're absolutely hoping Portland loses as much as possible so they shut Dame down. I think we want Nuggets wins as well so they don't feel pressure to play any of their starters the final game of the year with the conference wrapped up.

Kings schedule, especially if POR shuts down Dame for those 2 games, really isn't difficult the rest of the way:

BOS
PHX
@Dal
GSW

Everything else the Kings should be heavily favored in to win.

And guess when we play the Blazers in that back to back set! In 6 games!

So we're absolutely hoping Portland loses as much as possible so they shut Dame down. I think we want Nuggets wins as well so they don't feel pressure to play any of their starters the final game of the year with the conference wrapped up.

Kings schedule, especially if POR shuts down Dame for those 2 games, really isn't difficult the rest of the way:

BOS
PHX
@Dal
GSW

Everything else the Kings should be heavily favored in to win.
They will be slightly favored vs GSW and PHX at home, and possibly in Dallas as well if Luka is out.Oh good times

Whatever 6th or 7th seed we take on (assuming we hang on to one of these top spots) is going to be very difficult to play. I have a feeling it’ll be the Warriors or Mavs

That last play showed the difference between Kyrie & Luka IMO. I don't think Luka makes that pass in that situation. He would've taken the shot.
They were damned determined not to let him get the ball. Then they fouled him twice before the eventual pass to Kleba.

In hindsight, I’m glad Kleba got the ball and made the shot, but Kyrie, due to all the contact, totally missed a teammate alone under the basket.

And, yes, I agree with you. #77 probably takes the shot no matter what.

That's possible. They are effectively out of the play-in race. Making up 2.5 games is not easy at this stage. Plus, they need to jump 3 teams, which will need multiple pieces to fall their way.

OTOH, they closest competition for similar record is from multiple teams in the East, who are still vying for the play in spots. Pacers and Wizards, who are just a game ahead of them in the loss column, are just 0.5 game out of the final play in spot. So, they won't actively tank.

Trouble is Blazers don't gain much by tanking. The closest team below them in terms of losses (Magic) have 3 more losses than them. So, unless one or both of Pacers/Wizards go in a fall, Blazers have no incentive to actively lose.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):

UTA (33-36) 5, 13 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
NOP (33-37) 4, 12 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Play-In Games ---
OKC (34-36) 4, 12 games remaining, TB=Kings
LAL (34-37) 3, 11 games remaining, TB=Kings
Wonderful work as always Cap but something seems off with these 4 teams. If nothing else the Thunder and Lakers should be a half game ahead each of UTA and NOP (respectively) and in the play-in if the season finished today, and the 36 loss teams and 37 loss teams should share the same magic numbers?

Last edited:
Wonderful work as always Cap but something seems off with these 4 teams. If nothing else the Thunder and Lakers should be a half game ahead each of UTA and NOP (respectively) and in the play-in if the season finished today, and the 36 loss teams and 37 loss teams should share the same magic numbers?
If the Kings own the tie breaker it knocks them down a notch. That is why the numbers and standings don’t match

If we finish tied with Memphis we will win the tiebreaker. If they end up with a better conference record than us then they will definitely have a better record. But, if we are tied in the overall standings then there is no way they can have a better conference record. Neither team has enough Eastern conference games left for there to be any scenario where we are tied in the overall but Memphis is better on conference.

so for purposes of this analysis, we own the tiebreaker against Memphis.

Last edited:
At this point, we can really stop paying attention to having every West team lose games and start rooting for some wins for everyone sans MEM, who we still want to lose.

4/5 PHX vs GSW and 3/6 MEM vs LAC is like the dream bracket for us.
Timberwolves are one of the scarier lower mid-lower bracket teams that would be especially tough for the Kings I think as a first opponent. Suns won't be lower bracket, and could still catch the kings though its getting harder.

The Kings will almost certainly eliminate POR, LAL, OKC, and NOP. Mostly none those teams are winning all 11 or 12 of their games. They will effectively do the Kings work for them, or put it in a different way, Kings have already eliminated them with the Kings with their current record.

Kings win their next 2 games against Wizards and Jazz, and they would 'only' need to go 6-5 their final 11 games to make 50 wins. The Suns game is the largest single game left on the calendar by a large amount, followed by Mavs, Warriors, and Nuggets maybe in that order.

GSW vs MEM - want Warriors to win at least today.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If we finish tied with Memphis we will win the tiebreaker. If they end up with a better conference record than us then they will definitely have a better record. But, if we are tied in the overall standings then there is no way they can have a better conference record. Neither team has enough Eastern conference games left for there to be any scenario where we are tied in the overall but Memphis is better on conference.

so for purposes of this analysis, we own the tiebreaker against Memphis.
This is correct, since the last time I checked the results have come out such that now the Kings will have a better conference record than the Grizzlies if both teams tie. However, conference record is technically the second tiebreaker, as the first tiebreaker will be taken by a division winner, if not all teams are division winners. Since it is still possible for the Kings and Grizzlies to tie, for the Grizz to win the Southwest, and for the Kings NOT to win the Pacific, Memphis is still alive in the tiebreaker. I will update accordingly.

Edit: I also went through and found that in the unlikely event of a tie with either Portland or Minnesota, the Kings will lose the tiebreaker on conference record, and have updated those. The Jazz tiebreaker could still go either way, for now...

Last edited:
To be fair, beating LA does always seem to give a little extra joy, no? :cool:
Well, I used to hate the Bryant Lakers, but don't really now anymore....they lost all their hateable players for me. Now they're just another team, like the Cowboys in the NFL. Really in the NBA I'm only disliking the Bucks some after last game. Giannis bothers me a bit, but not as much as Shaq did either long ago. Individual players now, don't like Harden or Booker.