[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Hedo is one of my favorite Kings players. Good interview.

He talks about how he didn’t have much money as a King because he was only 2 years into his 9 year 12 mil dollar Euro deal when he came over to the Kings. Had a 1.5 mil dollar buyout he had to pay himself plus take care of his whole family back home. He was living in Matina’s guest house for the first 6 months.

also he talked about his time with the Spurs and if we didn’t already know the “No Middle” defense Brown implores comes from Pop.

Hedo is one of my favorite Kings players. Good interview.

He talks about how he didn’t have much money as a King because he was only 2 years into his 9 year 12 mil dollar Euro deal when he came over to the Kings. Had a 1.5 mil dollar buyout he had to pay himself plus take care of his whole family back home. He was living in Matina’s guest house for the first 6 months.

also he talked about his time with the Spurs and if we didn’t already know the “No Middle” defense Brown implores comes from Pop.
That's Brother Hedo.

Random question but does anyone know of any sites that would have old NBA Playoff games, particularly Kings Playoff games? Youtube has some of our games but not as many as you would think and some are really low quality. Kinda wanna get into the Playoff mode and check out our old Playoff series. I remember youtube had some of our games from the 1996 series but I think they’re gone now.

Random question but does anyone know of any sites that would have old NBA Playoff games, particularly Kings Playoff games? Youtube has some of our games but not as many as you would think and some are really low quality. Kinda wanna get into the Playoff mode and check out our old Playoff series. I remember youtube had some of our games from the 1996 series but I think they’re gone now.
the last time the Kings made the Playoffs 720p and 1080p didn't exist so we were stuck watching in 480p and lower

the last time the Kings made the Playoffs 720p and 1080p didn't exist so we were stuck watching in 480p and lower
Yes, and Ouch! I feel old
The last time the Kings were in the playoffs, I considered myself to be a "young soul"...Years of constantly depressing and heartbreaking basketball has officially turned me into a very "old soul", even at 38 (soon to be 39)...:p:p:p

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The first US broadcasts in 720p appear to be in the late 1990's. CBS was broadcasting in 1080i in 1998. NBC followed in 1999. ABC was broadcasting in 720p in 2001. Fox, however, didn't switch to 720p until 2004. So saying that "720p and 1080p didn't exist" back then is not correct by a long shot. I don't know when Kings games first started getting broadcast in HD, but the format definitely existed and was in widespread use at the time.

Again, Google is your friend.

If we finally make the postseason this year do we put a "longest drought in NBA history" banner in the rafters? Because we've certainly earned it.
:p:p:p

I'm all for hanging banners that constantly remind us of all of the good days and good times we've had as a franchise.

Even if you are (mis)led to believe that we've earned it, this is not one of those banners that will remind us of all of the good days and good times we've had as a franchise.

So, no, we don't put a banner up in the rafters.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The first US broadcasts in 720p appear to be in the late 1990's. CBS was broadcasting in 1080i in 1998. NBC followed in 1999. ABC was broadcasting in 720p in 2001. Fox, however, didn't switch to 720p until 2004. So saying that "720p and 1080p didn't exist" back then is not correct by a long shot. I don't know when Kings games first started getting broadcast in HD, but the format definitely existed and was in widespread use at the time.

Again, Google is your friend.
Basically only the major networks until about 2005/2006 or so, and then it was a few dozen cable channels until the early 2010s.

I bought a fancy 60" rear projection sony LCD (technically native 768p, as were many "720p" panels of this era) when I was working in Hollywood because we got the discount. I remember the 2004 Olympics having more HD content than I had ever seen before. I also remember my old 36" Toshiba tube TV was my main tv for years because watching 4:3 480i content on that tv was unbearable.

The last time the Kings were in the playoffs, I considered myself to be a "young soul"...Years of constantly depressing and heartbreaking basketball has officially turned me into a very "old soul", even at 38 (soon to be 39)...:p:p:p
This might make you feel younger. When the Kings played their first game in Sacramento, I was 15 years old. And I am nowhere near being the oldest person in here. There are some here with 30 years on me.

Warhawk

Staff member
Holy smokes, this season is awesome! We're #2 in the West, and leading our division in March, and now we've got a cool nickname and a City Edition jersey that doesn't seem merely perfunctory too. The only question is how many of the local Golden State adopters will return to the fold and how soon. :)
Just to clarify in case anyone is confused, these aren't "official" Kings jerseys by any means. They are independently designed and made. But I still think I might have to pick one up. :)

:p:p:p

I'm all for hanging banners that constantly remind us of all of the good days and good times we've had as a franchise.

Even if you are (mis)led to believe that we've earned it, this is not one of those banners that will remind us of all of the good days and good times we've had as a franchise.

So, no, we don't put a banner up in the rafters.
Can those of us who stuck through this nearly two decades mess at least get a small plaque or something? Feel like it would be a nice nod to those of us masochistic enough to have not jumped ship years ago

Nope. Don't go on sale until tomorrow. The sale runs about a week I think (to 3/16 if I remember correctly).

Ok, good to know. I went to the site and they have the jerseys there with pricing with a box that says “sold out” under it. They must have defaulted their website to that until they actually open it up for sales.

edit: of course I could have taken the time to read all the fine print above the actual jerseys that explains when they go on sale and for how long. :p

Warhawk

Staff member
Ok, good to know. I went to the site and they have the jerseys there with pricing with a box that says “sold out” under it. They must have defaulted their website to that until they actually open it up for sales.
Yep! I saw another tweet somewhere that that is indeed the case.