2023 TRADE DEADLINE MEGATHREAD

Honestly, this is the most ridiculous post I’ve read in a long time on this board, and that is saying something. We are going to drop from 3 to 13 in 27 games?

The lakers are going from 13 to 5 in 27 games, and making up 6.5 games on us (and everyone) because they swapped Russ for Russell and Vandy? Your prediction would make them need to go like 20-7. You realize they are only 11-14 when both AD and Bron play, so 20-7 is a miraculous clip for them. Even 20-7 only gets them to 45 wins.

The warriors don’t have Steph and are plodding along at .500. They weren’t any better with him. Why are they suddenly zooming by us in the last 27 games too?

OKC is a nice story, but even with as well as they have played have never moved above .500. They are likely pivoting toward the future as well. But even so, making up 5.5 games on us in the last 27 would probably require them to go like 18-9 (getting to 44 wins). Seems crazy for a team two games below .500.

Same for Portland. When have they shown the ability to go 17-10 (needed to reach 44 wins)? That team has shown us they are at or below .500 all year. They just traded a starter.

And Utah, who just traded two rotation players for future assets, and is probably doing more of that today, is going to pass us too? They need to go 17-9 to reach 44 games. Even with Conley and Vandy, they have been 15-23 since they started 12-6. Suddenly, despite trading a starter and rotation player and pivoting to the future, they are going to revert back to early season form?

And (this is more subjective) I truly think Dallas is lucky to go .500 the rest of the way. Their wing situation is worst in the league.

The Suns, Lakers, and Wolves got better, but the lakers are so far back it likely doesn’t impact us. The rest of the conference is the still the same. Not sure why we are suddenly plummeting 10 spots. Yes, the schedule is tougher now, but our path to 44 wins requires us to go 13-15. That is way more doable than the 18, 19, 20 wins teams below us need. We have lost 4 straight once (to open the season), 3 straight once (in November) and haven’t been worse than 5-5 in any 10 game stretch since November. We are 31-19 in our last 50 games, are above .500 on the road, and routinely win close games. We aren’t suddenly going to be an entirely different team and get passed by 10 teams.

These moves put us more squarely in the play-in conversation, but 13th?!?!? To me, you have:

Top 3 (48+ wins) Denver, Memphis, Phoenix
Fighting for 4-6 (44-48 wins) New Orleans, Minnesota, Clippers, Kings, Dallas
Play-in (41-44 wins) - Warriors, Lakers
Out- Portland, OKC, Utah

Current record matters. Even getting to 41 wins is huge for the lakers given that it will require going 16-11. 44 wins requires Dallas to go 14-12 against a tough schedule, with Luka still out, no wings, and needing time to integrate Kyrie and Luka. And top 3 might be bullish on Phoenix. They are one of the three best teams, but they might not get to #3 in the standings. KD is out through the ASG, meaning he misses at least 4 games. Phoenix is MUCH worse without him, bridges and Cam, and will then have just 22 games to figure it out. They are easily the biggest threat in the playoffs, but they might not get up to #3 in the standings.
I think you missed the big part in there where I gave the rankings without the Kings, not that we would be ranked #13 on the list. My entire point of the post was I didn’t know where we would stand because the West is so close.

There aren’t any teams that are too far back from us. Look at the standings, teams have been playing better lately and any of them are 1 win run away from moving up.

I also don’t think you’re giving any of those teams enough credit for improving their teams. Yes the Lakers are 25-30, but they won’t stay that way anymore. Same with the Suns and Mavs. They all improved their teams so why would they stay on their current track? Yes they’re dealing with injuries, but the Mavs still have Irving who dragged the Mavs to a win against a good Clippers team. KD will eventually be back.

You can’t keep their record projection the same when they got substantially better.

Attachments

He’s having the worst defensive year of his career and those thirty point games came against the Pistons and the post-Kyrie Nets with KD still out. Overall his numbers are down and he’s not looked happy.
I'll never understand how there's so many people citing advanced defensive metrics here, who also never make a squeak about rebounding.

When I'm talking about the Suns being a bad matchup for the Kings, a very large part of that is the battle of the boards...

Sabonis averages 12.3 rebounds per game... Vs Ayton he doesnt... We got rolled on the boards vs the Suns with Malik Monk grabbing 8.

If we face PHX in an extended playoff series. Are we to expect Sabonis is gonna go out there and grab 12.3 rebounds per game(without picking up 6 fouls) n leave Ayton scratching his head? Cuz that seems like fan fiction to me.. We're gonna rely on Harrison Barnes crushing KD on the boards? PHX is gonna launch threes, Aytons gonna put his body on Sabonis, n were gonna have issues grabbing defensive boards vs a team with CP3, Devin Booker and KD. This is a nightmare scenario for the Kings, our smallball is not built to deal with this as currently constituted....

I think you missed the big part in there where I gave the rankings without the Kings, not that we would be ranked #13 on the list. My entire point of the post was I didn’t know where we would stand because the West is so close.

There aren’t any teams that are too far back from us. Look at the standings, teams have been playing better lately and any of them are 1 win run away from moving up.

I also don’t think you’re giving any of those teams enough credit for improving their teams. Yes the Lakers are 25-30, but they won’t stay that way anymore. Same with the Suns and Mavs. They all improved their teams so why would they stay on their current track? Yes they’re dealing with injuries, but the Mavs still have Irving who dragged the Mavs to a win against a good Clippers team. KD will eventually be back.

You can’t keep their record projection the same when they got substantially better.
Okay- I didn’t understand you were excluding the kings from the ranking. I thought you had us at 13, which I thought was totally off. That makes more sense. So apologies on that.

But you aren’t understanding my point either. I am conceding that LA and Phoenix and Minnesota will be better with these moves (but not Dallas). But how much better? LA is 11-14 when AD-Lebron both play. Does adding Russell and Vandy make them way better? Better yes, but way better? They have 27 games left. Getting to 45 wins would require them to go 20-7. They didn’t get that much better. They won’t get above play in level.

Phoenix got way scarier. But it probably doesn’t translate for seeding. They have no KD at least the next 4 games, and then only 22 games.

I’d be more worried if we were all starting the season now. But we are 55-60 games in. There aren’t many games left and we have a record advantage over almost everyone.

Last thing/ the tankathon strength of schedule fluctuates wildly with so few games left. We had the 18th hardest schedule before the 2 Houston games. Once we play Dallas (hopefully without Luka) and Phoenix (without KD) we are probably around 10th hardest. The schedule is a bear, but strength of schedule is really deceiving at this time.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'll never understand how there's so many people citing advanced defensive metrics here, who also never make a squeak about rebounding.

When I'm talking about the Suns being a bad matchup for the Kings, a very large part of that is the battle of the boards...

Sabonis averages 12.3 rebounds per game... Vs Ayton he doesnt... We got rolled on the boards vs the Suns with Malik Monk grabbing 8.

If we face PHX in an extended playoff series. Are we to expect Sabonis is gonna go out there and grab 12.3 rebounds per game(without picking up 6 fouls) n leave Ayton scratching his head? Cuz that seems like fan fiction to me.. We're gonna rely on Harrison Barnes crushing KD on the boards? PHX is gonna launch threes, Aytons gonna put his body on Sabonis, n were gonna have issues grabbing defensive boards.
How are they gonna guard us though? Their strength was on the wings. Now it is not.

who is going to defend Fox in crunch time? Are you expecting Ayton to lock down Sabonis? Is TJ Warren going to stay in front of Harrison Barnes all game?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Monte’s tenure as GM has shown me anything it’s that he’s not one to panic and make a bad deal. The man waited two seasons for the right deal to open up and managed to trade for a two time all-star with the other team being the one throwing us a draft asset.

I'm nervous the Kings are gonna overpay for something.. The way I see it we need our draft picks, they represent real opportunities to bridge the talent gap with the elite teams if we get lucky.. I know people are much more instant gratification seekers but building thru player development is clearly our path of least resistance to the championship

To start giving away future picks for some win now scenario that will likely result in just a 2nd rd exit could really hamstring us. Thats what Utah did not too long ago, to try and appease Gordon Hayward and it blew up in their faces, n the damage reverberated thru their Gobert/Mitchell led rosters for years to come.

We've fought hard enough for 3rd, I kinda like the idea of just riding it our with our squad.. Despite the playoff drought, I just dont think there's reason for us to act with desperation here.

All I'm hoping for is to unload Holmes

I'm nervous the Kings are gonna overpay for something.. The way I see it we need our draft picks, they represent real opportunities to bridge the talent gap with the elite players if we get lucky..

To start giving away future picks for some win now scenario this year could really hamstring us. Thats what Utah did not too long ago, to tryh and appease Gordon Hayward and it blew up in their faces, n the damage reverberated thru their roster for many many years to come.

We've fought hard enough for 3rd, I kinda like the idea of just riding it our with our squad.. Despite the playoff drought, I just dont think there's reason for us to act with desperation here.
I don’t think you are going to see a panic move in the first year of Monte’s vision. Ok guessing we see more of Tinker McNair

Why would the Nets trade Bridges? Even for 3 first rounders it doesn’t make any sense. He is one of the best 2 way guys in the league, young and signed for a few years.
They're not in win-now mode, thats why. As good as Mikael Bridges is defensively, the centerpiece of the Nets defense is Nic Claxton.

Claxton is who they build around.. Maybe they'd trade Bridges for 3 1sts. Certainly they wouldnt trade Claxton for 3 1sts.

The idea that the Kings would pay 3 1sts for him is so WILD... I can't believe that a team whos missed the playoffs would risk putting themselves in a position to miss the playoffs for another half a decade if they dont make it really soon. Robbing Peter to pay Paul situation.. The Kings might not be the brightest organization, but surely, they've learned plenty of lessons along the way and arent that dull.

If we face PHX in an extended playoff series. Are we to expect Sabonis is gonna go out there and grab 12.3 rebounds per game(without picking up 6 fouls) n leave Ayton scratching his head? Cuz that seems like fan fiction to me.. We're gonna rely on Harrison Barnes crushing KD on the boards? PHX is gonna launch threes, Aytons gonna put his body on Sabonis, n were gonna have issues grabbing defensive boards vs a team with CP3, Devin Booker and KD. This is a nightmare scenario for the Kings, our smallball is not built to deal with this as currently constituted....
Kings are getting bounced in the first round unless they're somehow able to play the TWolves. I don't even think there's a need to analyze match ups or anything like that. We've watched enough games to know this team's strengths and weaknesses and they're just simply not going to be able to compete in the playoffs with the current defense the Kings have.

They're a legitimate playoff team right now but 3rd place is fools gold. The Kings have had the luxury of being able to win against other playoff teams because their best player(s) have been out when we've matched up with them. Throw in beating up on teams they should beat up on and they have a good record but we can see how they get handled anytime they play a semi healthy playoff team.

I'm good with it. Gotta walk before you can run. The Webber Kings got knocked out in the first round during their first two years and were the 8th seed both years if I remember right. The team isn't done evolving and I'd rather them not risk anything crazy this year and potentially make the team much worse when they have a really really good chance at making the playoffs for the first time in forever.

They're not in win-now mode, thats why. As good as Mikael Bridges is defensively, the centerpiece of the Nets defense is Nic Claxton.

Claxton is who they build around.. Maybe they'd trade Bridges for 3 1sts. Certainly they wouldnt trade Claxton for 3 1sts.

The idea that the Kings would pay 3 1sts for him is so WILD... I can't believe that a team whos missed the playoffs would risk putting themselves in a position to miss the playoffs for another half a decade if they dont make it really soon. Robbing Peter to pay Paul situation.. The Kings might not be the brightest organization, but surely, they've learned plenty of lessons along the way and arent that dull.
the nets roster is pretty stacked still and they have a ton of draft capital. I think they can make the playoffs this year.

Dinwiddie Mills
Thomas Curry
Bridges DFS
Johnson Oneal
Claxton Simmons

they are willing to pay to get out from underneath Simmons. If they do that they could maybe be a player in free agency for a stud PG. or maybe trade DFS, Cam Johnson and 2 firsts for OG and have the best defensive team in the league.

Kings are getting bounced in the first round unless they're somehow able to play the TWolves. I don't even think there's a need to analyze match ups or anything like that. We've watched enough games to know this team's strengths and weaknesses and they're just simply not going to be able to compete in the playoffs with the current defense the Kings have.

They're a legitimate playoff team right now but 3rd place is fools gold. The Kings have had the luxury of being able to win against other playoff teams because their best player(s) have been out when we've matched up with them. Throw in beating up on teams they should beat up on and they have a good record but we can see how they get handled anytime they play a semi healthy playoff team.

I'm good with it. Gotta walk before you can run. The Webber Kings got knocked out in the first round during their first two years and were the 8th seed both years if I remember right. The team isn't done evolving and I'd rather them not risk anything crazy this year and potentially make the team much worse when they have a really really good chance at making the playoffs for the first time in forever.
I generally agree, although the Kings were the 6 seed in 98-99, and that’s where I’m hoping they end up (at least) this year— I don’t really want to go 5 vs 8 against the Lakers or Warriors in the play in.

Do I hope Monte has a move or two to add cheap depth or another piece that fits the timeline? Sure. But no need to go all in yet.

I get being extremely pessimistic after all these years. But you‘re not considering the defensive level and potential of some of these other teams, especially after some of these recent trades.

The LA LeBron’s don’t play much defense. And Dallas and PHX don’t strike fear defensively. GSW has struggled mightily in that department most the season. Portland, Minnesota and NO? They aren’t stellar either.

If a team is going to overcome defensive deficiencies, I like my chances better with the #1 offense in the league — assuming it can hold up well and these kids don’t collapse under the weight of playoff pressure.

But short of that big obstacle that many of these other WC teams don’t have, I think we’re better than you think. And hopefully McNair finds a path to improving them even before before the deadline.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Suns are now the worst matchup for the Kings in the west... Really bad news for us..

name me teams that had 4 better players than; KD, CP3, Devin Booker and Ayton. I'll wait.

The big 4 has been assembled..
Please. CP3 is 37 and hardly a superstar anymore. KD probably has a couple more good years in him but they traded away their best defender and one of their top shooters to get him and he hasn't played in a month. A few weeks ago this Suns team was playing so poorly that they weren't even in the top 10 in the West. People are reacting to this the same way they did to Dwight Howard and Steve Nash joining the Lakers -- like the championship is already there's. Here's what everyone seems to overlook with top-heavy lineups -- unless they're getting more possessions somehow, the total number of shots won't change. All adding KD does is take shots away from other players. Both Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnsons were shooting better from 3pt range than Durant is so far this season which means they may actually get worse in terms of Points Per Possession.