[Game] Kings @ Magic, 11/05/2022 2pm Pacific, 5pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm happy about the win obviously, but the defense we played in the last 45 seconds of OT was basically unacceptable. We were up six and Orlando scored 10 points in the last 45 seconds on 4-4 shooting. Even if we ignore the Suggs FTs - I think that foul call was quite questionable as Suggs just bowled Fox over on purpose - we still gave up four easy shots, every single one at the rim. And we didn't even force them to use up the clock. We're looking at shots that took 5.1 seconds, 3.3 seconds, 5.8 seconds (full court!), 2.4 seconds (before the foul) and 4.1 seconds.

Hopefully the celebration in the locker room has ended and Brown is ripping the defense a new one.
just on the flip, until that bad inbounds, we were finally hitting our free throws. words can't express how I felt when Sabonis took the first inbounds when they started fouling.

Refs are mostly horrible in all of the games, across the board. I watched about 10 or 15 full games live, across all different teams. Not a single match goes by without the refs calling something that's obviously wrong/biased and the whole stadium chanting "Ref you suck!". Every game.

The only thing NBA had said was "The refs will be determined by these reports if they will get the big payday Playoffs matches". So I guess the NBA regular season is so pointless that they are beta-testing horrible refs in the regular season like the video game industry pushing unfinished games out and letting the players beta-test for them.

I didn't watch the game. Checked in during Q1, Orlando had shot 9/10. Then saw the score at half time and was ready to throw the season away. Somehow we came back, then gave it up, then came back. It's the opposite of a moral victory for a competitive loss and friendly 2 minute report.

Depends. Barnes got off to a slow start, KZ hasn't been able to get anything going on offense, and Keegan is either too much of an after thought on offense or needs to be a little more aggressive hunting his shot. I think we have decent depth in the frontcourt and backcourt but we need our wing players to contribute more than they have so far.
When Keegan finds his footing and gets comfy calling his own number, we’re gonna be a problem for certain. I don’t think it’ll take very long

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Orlando is stacked with lotto talent but they're in the same position we were for most of the last 15 years. It's fun to put up stats and get the acclaim that comes with that but at the end of the day, if you can't win you just become part of the problem. We had so many conversations here about who should be the face of the team -- is it IT or Tyreke, is DeMarcus a superstar or a stat stuffer, should we build around Fox or Haliburton, etc. This is the first year in a long time that I actually have hope and that's because of the guy on the sideline not because I expect Fox or Sabonis to carry us like a first team all-NBA stud. It doesn't have to be the same stud player carrying us every night because winning really is more about the team than any one player.
It's amazing how much criticism Brown is taking by people who did not want him here for little things when I've yet to see this team give up on a game yet this season. The players ARE hustling and playing D and getting in people's faces and contesting every shot. His adjustments ARE working. And despite taking early timeouts he had more than Orlando did for most of the second half.

The team is incomplete but it's really only committed to two players plus Murray right now. And we have Monk and Huerter for a while. Plenty to grow on if Monte continues to draft well and make a decent trade here and there that doesn't mortgage the future. Hopefully Vivek the wildcard doesn't screw that up.

PERIOD. This magic team just beat the Warriors and are feeling themselves. Glad we made em choke on it, especially Banchero.
so it may not be popular but I will say it….

it was a poorly played game for much of the game. Playing another lottery team close and hitting a prayer to win against another lottery team is kind of quintessentially Kings game we have seen for the past 10 years.

if our team were all under our 3rd year in the NBA I might feel differently. To me this game isn’t much to celebrate.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
"Despite Banchero's 33 points, Magic falls to the Kings." will be your headline.
More like "Rookie of the Year favorite Banchero sizzles with 33 as Magic fall in OT"
Bol Bol chipped in with 10/11 shooting but the Magic lost on a dramatic half court shot at the buzzer in a game that was always destined to go down to whoever shot the ball last.

Exciting game winner by Fox.

However, and I hate to be that guy, this is not a good team and unless we improve drastically and quick, we are not making the playoffs and we're not going to be close either.
The first order is to keep hammering what they do well (middle pnr, aggressive on ball defense, draw and kick) and then start working in the other stuff. They run more screen plays for Kevin Huerter at this point than Fox/Sabonis in the 2 man game. That's going to get you nowhere at this point.

I went from Kyle Williams muff fury to jubilation in the space of 5 seconds after they got the steal and tie…then Fox hit the three. Kings were fortunate that Orlando can’t shoot or handle the ball. 4-23 from deep and 18 turnovers.

Big game for the bench. Or particularly Lyles and Monk brought it. Metu had a strong not in the box score game since the Kings seem to play well with him on the floor. TD played well. Davion quiet offensively but played good defense on Wagner and Suggs in his minutes. Holmes got the doghouse after 5 minutes in this one.

Excellent games from Fox and Domas. Not much to say. Domas carted the team through the first half when nobody else was doing anything and Fox took over the second half.

Weird game for Huerter. Seemed bothered by the length. It looked like he turning down some good looks in the first half and Hampton in particular was giving him problems. He was key to the comeback though since I think he scored all his points in that third quarter run.

pretty lousy road trip for Keegan. Cold shooting but worse doesn’t seem involved these last two games. He was cold in Charlotte but he was involved.

weak game by Barnes but good to finally see him hit an open three.

Just hope our starting lineup can finally start clicking at once instead of all this uneven production. Kings need more balance and that is where Barnes and Keegan need to be better.

I'm happy about the win obviously, but the defense we played in the last 45 seconds of OT was basically unacceptable. We were up six and Orlando scored 10 points in the last 45 seconds on 4-4 shooting. Even if we ignore the Suggs FTs - I think that foul call was quite questionable as Suggs just bowled Fox over on purpose - we still gave up four easy shots, every single one at the rim. And we didn't even force them to use up the clock. We're looking at shots that took 5.1 seconds, 3.3 seconds, 5.8 seconds (full court!), 2.4 seconds (before the foul) and 4.1 seconds.

Hopefully the celebration in the locker room has ended and Brown is ripping the defense a new one.
Wow thank you

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This puts it in perspective. They've won 3 of their last 4 and the only loss came on a shot that shouldn't have counted. The next 5 games will tell us a lot. GS is reeling with 5 straight losses, the Nets and Lakers are the two most dysfunctional franchises in the league right now, and Cleveland is 7-1 but has yet to face a Western conference opponent. There's a chance to build some momentum here.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The first order is to keep hammering what they do well (middle pnr, aggressive on ball defense, draw and kick) and then start working in the other stuff. They run more screen plays for Kevin Huerter at this point than Fox/Sabonis in the 2 man game. That's going to get you nowhere at this point.
For better or worse, feels like Mike Brown is saving the Fox/Domas two man stuff for emergency cases as he tries to get the team to buy into his system. Whether that pays off or not is yet to be determined but it was nice seeing that he at least has it in his playbook during that third quarter comeback.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I mean, I realize we weren’t doing a great job of defending him but I doubt Bol Bol ever has a shooting night like that again unless he’s actually the greatest player of all time.
Bol shooting like that is a statistical anomaly that can be disregarded, to an extent. Of much greater concern for Kings Fans should be that y'all let Wagner get his go-to shot, virtually unchallenged, on what felt like nine possessions in a row.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Bol shooting like that is a statistical anomaly that can be disregarded, to an extent. Of much greater concern for Kings Fans should be that y'all let Wagner get his go-to shot, virtually unchallenged, on what felt like nine possessions in a row.
EXTREMELY alarming.
Guessing they were scared of fouling and stopping the clock? But jeeez.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Guy was absolutely destroying Keegan for the first three quarters. I’d say that this is the sort of thing Mike Brown brought KZ in for but I’m not sure if he even exists anymore.

Because he’s a troll?
Ahhhhh, the labels. Gotta love them. He has an opposing view, isn't that allowed on an opinion forum?

I don't think Fox makes guys around him better. I think we traded away the wrong guy. So what? Does that opinion directly effect you? Just cause the kings beat a bad orlando team doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed or shamed from addressing the many issues that probably should have lost us the game? If everyone agrees that makes a bad team forum, IMO.........

More like "Rookie of the Year favorite Banchero sizzles with 33 as Magic fall in OT"
Bol Bol chipped in with 10/11 shooting but the Magic lost on a dramatic half court shot at the buzzer in a game that was always destined to go down to whoever shot the ball last.
Perfect! Even scrubbing the word "Kings" out of the headline. That'll be it!

For better or worse, feels like Mike Brown is saving the Fox/Domas two man stuff for emergency cases as he tries to get the team to buy into his system. Whether that pays off or not is yet to be determined but it was nice seeing that he at least has it in his playbook during that third quarter comeback.
That's why somebody needs to get him up to speed on the last few seasons and the results while realizing this molehill has a mountain of pressure behind it. In an even tougher west most likely the margin for error is even slimmer. It's still too early and tanking has yet to begin but with the Blazers improving, the Jazz not going away, and the Lakers still having LeBron. Counting on the late stage failure of others hasn't worked the last few seasons and might really not work this year. Dig a hole this time and there might be an owner looking for shovel.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Perfect! Even scrubbing the word "Kings" out of the headline. That'll be it!
I didn't even mention them in the byline.

Probably the third sentence will be something like "this drops the Magic to 2-8 vs. a Kings team who has won 3 of 4 in spectacular fashion"

Status
Not open for further replies.