Keegan Murray

We have 6 guys competing for 3 spots and most people on this forum are lamenting that we traded excess 2nd round picks, so I do think that evaluating the other players is a key priority if you're considering keeping a vet over a younger guy (which it seems we are).

That said, pretty sure Keegs is sick. Holmes had something, non-covid bugs are still frequently contagious.
Not sure how that point is relevant. Any none championship team can always upgrade talent. By the way the guy we traded (Hardy) is playing very well for Dallas and could be a starter on a team that is projected to be better than us…..

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/10/9/23395472/dallas-mavericks-grades-jaden-hardy-christian-wood

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not sure how that point is relevant. Any none championship team can always upgrade talent. By the way the guy we traded (Hardy) is playing very well for Dallas and could be a starter on a team that is projected to be better than us…..

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/10/9/23395472/dallas-mavericks-grades-jaden-hardy-christian-wood
that wasn't my point - which was a reply to us being jaded for presumably needing to evaluate other talent, which we do. I also clearly stated I believed Keegan was sick and it wasn't a lie. More like a bonus.

also Dallas is projected to be better than us based on the strength of one player. Their roster construction is terrible. I don't think Hardy would be anything but the two way Keon Ellis is on. And it seems like we made a conscious decision to go that route, so we'd maybe have drafted Ellis if we thought he wouldn't be available after the draft.

that wasn't my point - which was a reply to us being jaded for presumably needing to evaluate other talent, which we do. I also clearly stated I believed Keegan was sick and it wasn't a lie. More like a bonus.

also Dallas is projected to be better than us based on the strength of one player. Their roster construction is terrible. I don't think Hardy would be anything but the two way Keon Ellis is on. And it seems like we made a conscious decision to go that route, so we'd maybe have drafted Ellis if we thought he wouldn't be available after the draft.
??? Then wouldn’t we have drafted him. Hardy looks good but it’s early. We shall see how he plays.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
??? Then wouldn’t we have drafted him. Hardy looks good but it’s early. We shall see how he plays.
because there's all kinds of underhanded dealings once the second round begins. Players tell teams not to draft them and then sign with another team like we did with Ellis all the time and that's been standard procedure well over a decade now. I'm sure Hardy is going to be fine but Ellis is bigger with a rep for defense. I'm not upset that is the direction we went.

But we don't have to make a decision on Ellis because he is on a 2-way contract. The 3 spots for 6 guys are all guys that make the team or go home (or go to Stockton but any other club can poach them at a moment's notice). There wasn't room for another guy like that since we still seem pretty committed to giving Queta one more year on the other 2-way.

because there's all kinds of underhanded dealings once the second round begins. Players tell teams not to draft them and then sign with another team like we did with Ellis all the time and that's been standard procedure well over a decade now. I'm sure Hardy is going to be fine but Ellis is bigger with a rep for defense. I'm not upset that is the direction we went.

But we don't have to make a decision on Ellis because he is on a 2-way contract. The 3 spots for 6 guys are all guys that make the team or go home (or go to Stockton but any other club can poach them at a moment's notice). There wasn't room for another guy like that since we still seem pretty committed to giving Queta one more year on the other 2-way.
Hardy on a rookie deal behind your two trades in Richardson and Huerter would have been solid Roster construction. We had room at the draft.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Hardy on a rookie deal behind your two trades in Richardson and Huerter would have been solid Roster construction. We had room at the draft.
Ok but there's still two giant red flags, his defense and the fact that he had a horrible G-League experience and may have told teams he didn't want to go back there, and the Kings certainly would have wanted a player they committed to in his position to go back and forth.

Ok but there's still two giant red flags, his defense and the fact that he had a horrible G-League experience and may have told teams he didn't want to go back there, and the Kings certainly would have wanted a player they committed to in his position to go back and forth.
Kind of like not drafting Luka because he didn’t want to be here. Hey the Mav’s can have a “we didn’t want to be Kings” starting backcourt. ;)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Kind of like not drafting Luka because he didn’t want to be here. Hey the Mav’s can have a “we didn’t want to be Kings” starting backcourt. ;)
are you seriously comparing the two? Luka was a generational talent and whoever is responsible for that decision, Vlade, BW, Vivek, whoever signed off is an idiot.

I am flat out saying we don't want a guy who showed himself to be allergic to defense and shot in the 20s from 3 in the G-League on this team and I have zero problem with that assessment from Monte, Brown, Vivek or anyone else in the org. I also didn't say anything about being in Sac, I said about going back down to the G-League. In case you didn't realize, second rounders have a lot more latitude when it comes to dodging situations they don't want to be in than a lottery pick.

I'm pretty happy with the project player we took in this year's class anyways. Plays defense and can hit the outside shot without acting like Buddy Hield and taking a shot every time he touches the ball.

Looking at Ivey’s numbers tonight and giggled a little. I know it’s beyond early and it means nothing but, i just thought of the many kings fans that would be having meltdowns if they saw Keegan doing this for Detroit
I didn't want to be the one to say anything but you are right. Ivey has gone downhill from game 1. The Keegan haters would be slaughtering him right now if the roles were reversed.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Looking at Ivey’s numbers tonight and giggled a little. I know it’s beyond early and it means nothing but, i just thought of the many kings fans that would be having meltdowns if they saw Keegan doing this for Detroit
I maintained all along that the irony of arguing for Ivey was it was literally much of the same arguments as pro-Bagley arguments. The anti-Murray was "he's already at his ceiling" that we heard with Luka. If his ceiling is 45% from 3 I can live with that.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Is that mutually exclusive?
Haha no, but I don't remember anything about Luka not wanting to play here. In fact, I recall him being quoted as being totally fine with getting drafted by Sac. JJJ (and I'm sure some others, like every year we've had a top 10 pick) was the one who refused to work out for us.

I definitely recall Vlade being an idiot though!

Unfortunately if we would of drafted Luka he most likely of come off the bench and traded off the second year for a border line starter and a couple of future second rounders.
Now with the way Monte has been drafting he would of been a star here also.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
he's not athletic enough, Ivey is a freak just give him two years to develop.

and then they would literally follow up with "we can't draft for fit again"
lol

I'm sure Ivey will be a nice player for Detroit and maybe both he and Bagley will be good in 2-3 years and they can win some games.

anyone know the current protocol in the NBA? A quick google search from Dec 21 said players isolation was cut to 6 days. I don’t know if that is from a positive test or first display of symptoms. I believe he started feeling sick on either Monday or Tuesday so he may be still able to play Wednesday if he tests negative this coming week.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
anyone know the current protocol in the NBA? A quick google search from Dec 21 said players isolation was cut to 6 days. I don’t know if that is from a positive test or first display of symptoms. I believe he started feeling sick on either Monday or Tuesday so he may be still able to play Wednesday if he tests negative this coming week.
He played Friday so rest of team exposed? Are they not doing the contact tracing thing anymore?