Tyrese Haliburton wants Kings to regret trade, sees Pacers as 'blessing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NBC Sports BayArea

Tyrese Haliburton has a renewed perspective on the trade that shocked the NBA, but that doesnt mean he wont try to show the Kings they made a mistake in the process.

Continue reading...

If we regret the trade I'd say it's much more because we failed in the two year window we have with Sabonis to reach the playoffs and re-sign him than anything Haliburton does over the next few seasons.
And no one, not even a franchise that hasn't found success in over a decade, should look at someone else's presumed "success" and regret it. Ty is still hurt from it and it's understandable from a vocal rookie, just like a teenager's first breakup and wanting their ex to regret it.

I think my knee jerk reaction is to agree that Tyrese needs to get over this and move on, but honestly I think that's why we all loved him so much from the start - he was committed to Sacramento.

The fact that he's still hurt just shows how much he wanted to win here. I'm going to continue to root for him every game that he's not playing the Kings.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the guy is 22 years old. He is a loyal customer but that's not how it always works in the NBA. I have reason to believe that he will eventually mature enough to accept it for what it is

"In 26 games with the Pacers to end the 2021-22 season, Haliburton averaged 6.2 points and 9.6 assists while shooting just over 50 percent from the field. In comparison, Sabonis averaged 7.5 points and 5.8 assists while making 55 percent of his shots in 15 games with the Kings at center."

Ouch. Got that PPG all sorts of wrong..

On another note, he alluded to the Kings not believing on him. If that's the case, why did the Kings draft him? Also he said he can now play his original position. He needs to look at it as the Kings gave him a new lease on life, sent him to a place that was perfect for him while trying to improve their own roster. I'm sure the Kimgs would have loved for him to bring success here and be a part of it, but at the end of the day it is a business and success is measured in wins over losses. The Kongs didn't have success with him here and decided to make a move to try to change their fortunes.

Hopefully it works out for both parties. Wish the young man well and he will always have a spot in the hearts of Kings fans. But he needs to let it go and understand that his chosen profession can be cutthroat and sometimes hurt, but at the end of the day he is being paid very well to do what he does. We all love him and that isn't going to change, it just didn't work out for him and us.

It’s a win win trade for both sides. He just needs to look at it that way. Where are the vets over there to tell him to move on, the NBA is a business. Perhaps Buddy Hield can spread some wisdom…..said no one ever.
Buddy is probably part of the problem talking all sorts of smack about Sac even tho he was treated very well here. Almost want to rip up my Buddy Hiled autographed game ticket from when he broke the Kings record for most 3s made in franchise history, the turd.

I think my knee jerk reaction is to agree that Tyrese needs to get over this and move on, but honestly I think that's why we all loved him so much from the start - he was committed to Sacramento.

The fact that he's still hurt just shows how much he wanted to win here. I'm going to continue to root for him every game that he's not playing the Kings.
Yup. He loved it here, wanted to be a big part of a huge turnaround, and he never saw the trade coming. I think Tyrese is the sort of guy who would have loved to play his entire career w/the team that drafted him - and now he'll never be able to. I don't blame him a bit for what he *feels* (upset, even bitter), though if I had his ear I might caution him about what he *says* publicly. Your never know when the goodwill earned through graciousness will come in handy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There’s finally a guy who loved this team and fanbase and city enough to be so heartbroken about being traded away out of the blue and we’re like “STFU GET OVER IT DUDE”

Love ya, Hali and like with DMC before you I hope you smoke us when we play again.

At least I like the dude we got for you this time though! Haha

I think it's better to read the original article instead of an aggregator article with cherry picked quotes. It has a pretty balanced view with good quotes from Tyrese and Pacers GM.

[Article Link]

Tyrese shows great self awareness for a young guy. For him, being traded from the Kings was like being dumped by your first love. Even though it is better in the long run, it hurts and takes time to recover. He'll be alright, and so will the Kings.

I will always love Tyrese despite his weak digs at the Kings after the trade.

Much ado about nothing.

Of course he wishes the Kings regret the trade. That just means that he and the Pacers have the level of success he was hoping to have in Sacramento. I suppose the Kings could also see success and neither side regrets the trade, but ultimately just a competitor using being traded as motivation to get better. Nothing to see here.

I think it's better to read the original article instead of an aggregator article with cherry picked quotes. It has a pretty balanced view with good quotes from Tyrese and Pacers GM.

[Article Link]

Tyrese shows great self awareness for a young guy. For him, being traded from the Kings was like being dumped by your first love. Even though it is better in the long run, it hurts and takes time to recover. He'll be alright, and so will the Kings.

Thank you @coolhandluke

Perfect example of why we need to read full articles and not simply scroll through headlines.

Haliburton is very honest, reflective, and mature in this entire interview. He very eloquently describes his shifting emotions through the whole process, including acknowledging his initial festering resentment for anyone in the Kings franchise even if they had nothing to do with the trade. He says explicitly he realized that was immature and not serving him, and he needed to let that go.

And yes, he does answer an obnoxiously leading question about “using the trade as fuel” or some such jock talk, and answers it in the only rational way possible: Of course he’ll use the hurt as fuel to get better. Of course he wants the Kings to regret letting him go. What is the alternative answer for a professional competitive athlete? People still talk glowingly about Michael Jordan taking it personally that he was put on JV as a sophomore in high school instead of Varsity.

That question is meant to dig out a salacious headline in an interview that to that point had been expressly healthy, mature, and in the hot take culture, boring.

[Article Link]

Came here to post the link and glad someone did. The whole article is a lot more nuanced and shows he’s being introspective about stuff, and obviously that trade was and is gonna be a huge part of how he sees the world - especially the NBA - for a long time

Low hanging fruit for sports journalists is to make fun of the Kings and talk about their dysfunction.

Tyrese has made his point. He can stop doing work for lazy journalists now. Time to pass on those questions.

Not a fan when Mike Malone used to do it either, but Mike Malone had a way bigger reason to have beef.

Tyrese just got traded for an all star. I mean.....that should be a compliment.

Ehh, it’s a slow NBA news cycle and editors know drama gets clicks. Faced with the question for the umpteenth time Tyrese tries to put a positive spin on it but no one wants to read that part. He’s a competitor… tell me Michael, Bron, or even Barnes wouldn’t have the same burning drive when they face their old team again. We love Tyrese, and deep down he still loves us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.