Bajaden's final 2022 mock draft: Part one

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd like to preface this by saying that I expect there will be trades on draft day, but I'm doing the mock with the assumption that no trades will happen and everyone will draft in the expected order. I'm also drafting who I think is the best player for that team which may not be the overall consensus. But might be!

1. Magic - Jabari Smith Jr.: PF, 6'10", 220 Lb's, 7'1" wingspan, Freshman, Auburn.
28.8 mpg - 16.9 ppg - 42.9% fgp - 42.0% 3pp - 79.9% ftp - 7.4 rpg - 2.0 apg - 1.1 stl's - 1.9 to's - 1.0 blk's - ORtg 116.5 - DRtg 90.7.

Personally, if I had the 1st pick in the draft I would select Chet Holmgren, but it would be a close decision. Smith is one of the players that I think would be a perfect fit on the Kings, he along with Holmgren and Murray. I really like Smith, but, and there's always a but, he has some areas of his game he needs to improve. Now some of the things that bothered me may have to do with the system he was playing in, and his surrounding teammates. Other than Kessler, the center, there wasn't another player on that Auburn team that was worth mentioning, other than mentioning how bad they were.

As a scout said, Smith was playing with two guards that thought they were Curry and Thompson, and took as many shots as that duo. There were many games when each of the guards individually had more shot attempts than Smith and Kessler combined. Enough said! Smith played out on the perimeter far more than I would have liked, and I think that, along with Kessler being a rebounding machine, it distorted how good a rebounder Smith can be. In that same vein, I don't think we saw how good a shotblocker Smith can be with Kessler roaming the paint and blocking an incredible 4.6 shots a game. Smith basically played like a wing, and he was extremely effective doing so, hitting 42% of his threes, many with a hand in his face. He was one of the best shooters in college basketball last season.

He gets great lift on him jump shot, and has a very high release making it almost impossible to block. Defensively there's a lot to like! I think he did a great job defending the three through five positions. He struggled a bit with some of the two's, and really struggled when guarding the quick PG's. I think some of that is correctable. He has a very wide defensive stance, which I think hurts him when trying to move laterally. But all in all, he has the look of a plus defender. He has to improve his ball handling and shot creation off the dribble, and the two of them go together. When you look at Smith's numbers, those numbers become more surprising when you watch him play, and see that he was doubled and at times triple teamed by the other team. He's certainly worthy of the first pick in the draft.

2. Thunder - Chet Holmgren: C/PF, 7'0", 195 Lb's, 7'5" wingspan, Freshman, Gonzaga.
26.9 mpg - 14.1 ppg - 60.7% fgp - 39.0% 3pp - 71.6% ftp - 9.9 rpg - 1.9 apg - 1.9 to's - 0.8 stl's - 3.7 blk's - ORtg 127.0 - DRtg 78.7.

There's only one thing that scares me about Holmgren, and it's no surprise to anyone. His overall weight and strength. I'm sure he'll be able to add to that and get stronger, but I do think he's a little more limited, due to his narrow frame, than the average thin man that enters the NBA. However, Durant couldn't do one bench press at the required weight at the combine, and he's still out there kicking and he's not too bad either. Giannis Antetokounmpo was as skinny as a rail when he entered the NBA. So was Tyson Chandler. So there's hope in that area. Personally, I think Chet has the best chance in this draft of becoming a superstar. He does so many things well for a 7 footer, that he's deserving of the moniker, Unicorn!

Meaning basically, one of a kind! And he is that. He's a natural shot blocker and simply because you can bully him to the basket, it doesn't mean he won't still block your shot. He has great instincts around the basket both defensively and offensively. Despite his slender frame, he's a very good rebounder. Holmgren plays with an edge and he doesn't back down from anyone, which to some extent is scary. Chet is a good three point shooter hitting 39% of his shots from beyond the arc. I wish he had taken more of them, but he spent almost half the season without being a part of the offense. He just sort of roamed around and took advantage of whatever presented itself. Similar to Keegan Murray.

You always had the feeling when watching him play that he was capable of far more than they were asking him to do. He played on the perimeter a lot because of Drew Timme being shackled in the post. He's a very good ballhandler for his size, many times grabbing a rebound and going end to end for a dunk. He's a potential three level scorer at the next level. When you add that to his defensive potential, you just might have a star on your hands. We got an occasional glimpse of his passing ability from time to time, and he appears to be someone you could possibly run the offense through. All in all, he's a very unique player, especially at his size. I saw someone comp him with Poko, which is laughable. He'd be a great fit on the Kings, but unless the Kings trade up, there's no chance.

3. Rockets - Paolo Banchero: PF, 6'10", 250 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, Duke.
33.0 mpg - 17.2 ppg - 47.8% fgp - 33.8% 3pp - 72.9% ftp - 7.8 rpg - 3.2 apg - 2.4 to's - 1.1 stl's - 0.9 blk's - ORtg 113.8 - DRtg 98.1.

I struggled with this one and almost had a different player here, but I decided that I'd go with the likely consensus. I'm not as sold on Banchero as everyone else. Don't mistake me, I think Banchero is going to be a very good basketball player. I just don't think he's the third best player in this draft. However, there's a lot to like, especially offensively. He's very polished especially in the post, where he displays excellent footwork and touch around the basket. He likes to play a little bully ball at times and he uses his size and strength to punish smaller, weaker players down low. I'm not sure he'll be as effective in the NBA, but I'm sure some of it will translate. He's a smart player and has a good feel for the game.

Some have considered him a three level scorer at the next level. Maybe in the future, but I'm not convinced he has a consistent 3 pt shot. He shot it well in the tournament but I have to see it over a period of time. He has an excellent midrange game with a variety of moves to get his shot. I think his handles are fine for a 6'10" PF especially the way he uses his body to create space. What probably sets him apart from the others is his passing ability. He's a player you can run the offense through. He see's the floor well and has a great feel for the game. Ironically, the player he sort of reminded me of was Sabonis. Yeah, I know, Sabonis is a better rebounder, and definitely a better defender. At least right now.

Which brings us to defense. This is where I tend to struggle with Banchero. He's similar to Sabonis in that he's not a bad defender at the basket. He holds position well and moves his feet well. But he's not a shot blocker and probably needs to play along side a rim running shot blocker, like he did at Duke with Williams. Mark Williams was the perfect running mate for Banchero. Williams was one of the best rim protectors in college last season. He had Banchero's back, and also benefited from Banchero's passes. While I love Banchero's passing, he does need to reduce his turnovers. He basically had a 3 to 2 ratio which isn't that good. My final note is on rebounding. I think rebounding is one of the skills that translates to the NBA, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed in Banchero's rebounding. One would think that a 6'10" 250 Lb player would grab more boards. Smith who played fewer minutes, and played away from the basket grabbed almost the exact same amount of boards, and Murray out rebounded him.

Out of the gate, I expect Banchero to be very effective and maybe be in the running for ROY. But three years from now, I can think of several players that might have passed him by. Doesn't mean your not getting a good player that will help your team. But I think the best case scenario is for Banchero to go to a team with a good defensive center to help cover for his defensive weaknesses.

4. Kings - Keegan Murray: PF/SF, 6'8", 225 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Sophomore, Iowa.
31.9 mpg - 23.5 ppg - 55.5% fgp - 39.8% 3pp - 74.7% ftp - 8.7 rpg - 1.5 apg - 1.1 to's - 1.9 blk's - 1.3 stl's - ORtg 134.6 - DRtg 96.8.

On paper last season, Murray was the best player in college basketball. Of course when you watch a player play, the whole exercise becomes more subjective. You see the results, and then ask yourself, how much better can he become. That seems to be the stumbling point for Murray, and I'm not sure why. As I pointed out in another thread, Murray isn't flashy. He isn't demonstrative on the court. No flexing of his muscles or primal screams after a vicious dunk. He just heads back down the floor to play defense. On the other hand, a player like Ivey is very flashy and as a result, fun to watch. But being fun to watch doesn't always equal wins. Murray is one of those players that quietly goes about his business. He does all the dirty work and fills the holes that need filling.

He had one of the highest usage rates in college, yet never looked like a black hole or a ball stopper. James Ham pointed out his usage rate and the lack of assists for a player with that high a rate. But he failed to point out that he barely turned the ball over (1.1 times a game) for a player with such a high rate. I wonder if it ever occurred to Ham that maybe Murray didn't have anyone to pass the ball to who could score, other than maybe his twin brother, who wasn't on the floor at the same time that often. Iowa hardly ever ran plays for Murray and let him be opportunistic. Once in a while they would run a pin down or set a screen for him, but more often than not he got his points by flying in for an offensive rebound and dunk, or in transition, where he was excellent at running the floor.

Murray is a smart player who takes advantage of his defender when he tries to ball watch. He's always sliding to the open spot on the floor where he shot over 40% on catch and shoots. Off the dribble, he's not nearly as good, and that's an aspect of his game he needs to work on. But overall he shot just a tick below 40% from three at 39.8%. Another area of his game that needs to improve is in the midrange. He actually has a nice step back jumper, but he simply didn't use it that much. His handles are fine, but to move to the next level he needs to be better at creating his own shot off the dribble, and improving his handles will help in that regard.

Defensively, he's very good. He was better his Freshman year where I believe he made 2nd all team defense in the Big Ten Conference. But all Iowa asked Murray to do his Freshman year was rebound and defend. This past season, probably because he was carrying almost all the offensive load, they cut back a bit on his defensive responsibilities. But he was still a good defender. He's excellent at keeping his man in front of him, and his off the ball defense is equally good. Murray blocked 1.9 shots mostly as a help defender. Anyone that followed him this season knows he a master at deflections and saving balls from going out of bounds. Lastly, Murray has terrific hands. He catches everything he can get his hands on. Some of his catches this past season were amazing. Some right at the basket at full sprint where he caught and made the basket from a seemingly impossible position.

Which brings me to one more thing. Murray is an excellent post up player, which is a dying art to some extent. He was in the 99 percentile at finishing at the basket in all of college basketball. If you like stats, Murray was 2nd in player efficiency rating for the last 13 years with only Zion Williamson ahead of him. He was 3rd in win shares behind only Williamson and Brandon Clark. There's more that I could bore you with, but I'll leave it at that. Murray is the perfect fit for the Kings. he checks all the boxes. He also fits the type of culture the Kings are trying to build. He's a high character player, and is known to be a Gym rat and a hard worker. Everyone wants a star! How many stars did Memphis have this year? They won because of a system and a team culture. Even when Morant missed games, they kept winning.

5. Pistons - Jaden Ivey: SG/PG, 6'4", 200 Lb's, 6'9" wingspan, Sophomore, Purdue.
31.4 mpg - 17.3 ppg - 46.0% fgp - 35.8% 3pp - 74.4% ftp - 4.9 rpg - 3.1 apg - 2.6 to's - 0.9 stl's - 0.6 blk's - ORtg 114.7 - DRtg 102.5.

Ivey is probably the fastest player in the draft. He's been compared to Westbrook, Wall, Ja Morant, probably because of his hair style, and also Fox. I would say that he's a better 3 pt shooter than Wall, Westbrook, and Fox at the same point in their careers. But none of those four scare you to death from the perimeter. Actually, Ivey shot the ball better in the first half of the season and then sort of tapered off in the 2nd half. Sort of the opposite of Murray whose shot got better as the season went on, and the volume when up. However, Ivey made a huge jump from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year, which if your a scout, is what your looking for. In the open court with a full head of steam, Ivey is almost unstoppable. He seems to be able to blow through cracks to get to the basket, and he likes to Eurostep while going a thousand miles an hour.

While his shot tapered off in the second half, I thought he looked like he was running out of gas at times, and that his legs were gone. Many of his shots came up short, usually a sign of tired legs, and when you consider that Ivey's main skill, is his speed, which he uses considerably, it's not hard to believe his tank was leaning toward empty near the end of the year. I felt the same way about Johnny Davis and to some extent Keegan Murray. All three of those players had a very high usage rate and carried most of the offense for their team. Ivey was the main offense for Purdue. He got a little help from his giant center Zach Idey, who will never set foot in an NBA game, and his backup center Trevion Williams, a terrific passer and a decent post player. Wouldn't mind him with a 2nd rd pick. Point is, Ivey was the offense, and when he had a bad game, they usually lost.

I still believe in Ivey's 3 pt shot. His form is good, so it's not broken. Ivey is a very good finisher, and all his points were scored either at the basket, or from behind the 3 pt line. He has no midrange game. No floater or pull up fade away from 15 feet. Nada! Nothing! Obviously something he'll need to work on in the NBA. Very difficult in today's NBA at the guard position to be successful without a keep you honest midrange shot. Right now if Ivey puts the ball on the floor inside the 3 pt line you pretty much know where he's going. Makes him a lot easier to defend.

So, speaking of defense. I have to admit that I was disappointed in Ivey's defense. Everyone says he has all the tools to be a good defender, and I agree! But talk is cheap. There were periods of games where Ivey made little to no effort on defense. Many times he defended in an almost upright position with his hands down by his side. There were times when he was beat off the dribble and he didn't pursue, or did so halfheartedly. He loves to play the passing lanes for steals, and he's pretty good at it, but you have to do more than that. At times his off ball defense was atrocious. He'd ball watch and had no idea where his man was. Luckily for him, he got away with at times, but that won't happen in the NBA. I would call his defense off the ball a tick better than Buddy Hields.

Having said all that, he has all the physical tools to be a good defender, and one would hope that once in the NBA, with good coaches and all the time in the world, he'll improve in that area. There's no doubt that Ivey has oodles of upside, and has a chance to be a star in the league. But I would warn him that the NBA landscape is littered with the decaying bodies of athletic players that never reached that magical thing called potential. Personally, I'd put my money on Ivey, but make no mistake, there is some risk there. One last note! I had a lot of similar criticisms of Anthony Edwards coming out of college, and he's become a hell of a player. Just saying!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Part two:

6. Pacers - Dyson Daniels: SF/SG/PG, 6'7.5", 199 Lb's, 6'10.5" wingspan, G-League Ignite.
31.1 mpg - 11.3 ppg - 44.9% fgp - 25.5% 3pp - 73.7% ftp - 6.2 rpg - 4.4 apg - 2.4 to's - 1.9 stl's - 0.7 blk's - ORtg 104.9 - DRtg 106.9

I'll start by saying that if the Kings wanted to take a swing for the fences, this is the player I would do it with. My gut tells me that Daniels is going to be a star in the league. It might take a while, but I really believe in this kid. Daniels is a good fit on the Pacers. He's a very good ball handler and can take some of the ball handling responsibilities off of Haliburton. He's also one of the best defensive players in the draft and can help cover for Haliburton's weaknesses in that area. He's a terrific passer with a great feel for the game. He's not Haliburton, but he's right at the next level and who knows how much better he'll get. I thought at times he was the best player on the Ignite team.

The looming question about Daniels was his outside shot, which improved dramatically as the season went on. I know his overall 3 pt percentage doesn't look that good, but his last 7 or so games his shot started falling and then in his pro day, he put on the greatest exhibition of 3pt shooting of any other player at pro day. It's obvious that he's putting the work in. If he can get to 36% from three, that, along with all the other tools in his bag of tricks, he'll be a very good, if not a star player in the league.

Speaking of his bag of tricks, he's one of, if not the best defensive player in this draft. His instincts are off the charts. He's not quite as quick laterally as Davion Mitchell, but he's not much behind. He's very aggressive like Mitchell, getting right up in the opposing players grill. He definitely has the potential to be a lock down defender. He can play three positions offensively, and probably defend four, particularly when he gets stronger. He grew an inch and a half in the last eight months to 6'7.5" in shoes, and who knows if he's done growing. I'd say draft him and water him every day!

Daniels is a decent to good finisher at the basket, and I think that area will improve as he gets stronger. He has an outstanding midrange game and he's the master of the floater, which he uses as far as 18 feet away at times. So if his 3 pt shot improves to the point of respectable to good, then I'd say he's a three level scorer, with terrific passing ability who is also very good off the ball, and, who can also frustrate the heck out of the best offensive player on the other team. There's a reason he's climbing up the boards. I don't know what they're putting in the water in Australia, but maybe we should bottle it and ship it here!

7. TrailBlazers - Shaedon Sharpe: SG/SF, 6'5.25", 200 Lb's, 6'11.5" wingspan, Freshman, Kentucky.
28.3 mpg - 22.6 ppg - 55.6% fgp - 36.1% 3pp - 63.5% ftp - 5.8 rpg - 2.7 apg - 1.5 to's - 0.8 stl's - 0.4 blk's.

OK, I'm going to tell you up front, getting info on Sharpe is like getting info on the invisible man. You almost think he doesn't exist, at least on paper. The stat's listed are his EYBL (The Nike Elite Youth Basketball League for players under 17 years of age) stats for a total of 12 games. Sharpe is truly the mystery man, and yet, he's very intriguing and has to be considered. NBA scouts are split on their opinions. Most of what we know is rumor, someone's opinion, or someone who told someone who told someone. Bottom line is, we don't have a lot to go on, other than what would have been his hype coming out of highschool. There's no doubt that he was a five star recruit and was considered by most to be a top five pick in the draft.

Lest you think that that Sharpe is doing something never done before, here is short list of players that never played college BB. Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, Rashard Lewis, Amar'e Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard, and there are more. Of course there are some that never lived up to their expectations. Players like, Kwame Brown, Darius Miles, and Eddy Curry. So it is at times a bit of a crap shoot.

There is some EYBL film to watch and some highschool film to watch. I prefer the EYBL because the competition is better. He did help his Canadian National team to a silver medal in the under 16 championships. The fact that he didn't play college ball does complicate his appraisal, but remember, as I pointed out, Kobe Bryant never played college ball. And that's what makes Sharpe intriguing, and why I have him going here to Portland. The Blazers are at a critical point going forward. They have a star, a player that seems dedicated to leading the Blazers to a championship. But he needs help! Can Sharpe help right away? I don't know! I don't think anyone knows. Even Kobe didn't come flying out of the gate. It took him a couple of years, but, the wait was worth it.

So choosing Sharpe is a bit risky for the Blazers, but, they might have their Lilliard of the future to build around if Lilliard decides he's needs to move on. The film I watched of Sharpe, is limited, but it's obvious he's a very good athlete with great hops. He supposedly has a 49 inch vertical, but it's not official, like everything else about Sharpe. He has very quick first step off the dribble, and shot the ball well off the dribble even though he was being closely guarded by a cone. To be honest, his form looks good and he has a quick release. His handles appear to be above average, and 49 inches or not, the kid can really elevate at the basket. He rebounded well on the EYBL circuit averaging almost 6 a game of which 25.7% were offensive boards.

Sharpe could be fools gold, or he could be a future HOF'er. I think at worse you'll be getting yourself a solid starter at SG. At best, maybe a superstar. I really can't comment on his defense because the competition was mostly poor, but he obviously has the tools to be a good defender. How many times have I said that? One rumor that bothered me is that one NBA scout said that Sharpe didn't always show up for practice at Kentucky. However another scout pointed out that Sharpe seemed to be controlled by his family and his agent, and they were making all the decisions. In an interview Sharpe stated that his decision to stay in the draft was influenced by the feedback he got at the combine. So maybe he got a promise by a team. We will see!

8. Pelicans - Johnny Davis: SG/PG, 6'5.75", 196 Lb's, 6'8.5" wingspan, Sophomore, Wisconsin.
34.2 mpg - 19.7 ppg - 42.7% fgp - 30.6% 3pp - 79.1% ftp - 8.2 rpg - 2.1 apg - 2.3 to's - 0.7 blk's - 1.2 stl's - ORtg 114.8 - DRtg 98.4.

Johnny Davis had one of the highest usage rates in college basketball last season, 32.5 percent. He also played 34 out of 40 minutes of every game. Davis was the only real offensive threat on his team and he literally carried them into the tournament where they beat Colgate in the first round. They might have gone farther if Davis hadn't reinjured his ankle in that game. The Pel's need a two way player, either at the wing, or the SG spot. Davis is capable of playing both positions, although he's better at the SG spot. Davis is a tough hardnosed player with a non stop motor. Every team needs a Johnny Davis on it.

Don't be fooled by his 30% from three, he's a better shooter than that. I do think that's a part of his game he needs to work on, but early in the season he shot the ball much better. By seasons end, I think he was running out of gas, and of course his ankle injury didn't help. While I think his 3 pt shot needs to become more consistent, he's the king of the mid-range game. He has his spots, and if you let him get to one of those spots, he's almost automatic. Keeping him from getting where he wants on the court is easier said than done. He has very good handles and enough shake and bake to get anywhere he wants. Most teams would jam the middle and then double team him, and despite that, at least early in the season, he was still able to score.

Most of the year, while playing the role of a SG, and at times SF, mostly on the defensive side of the ball, he was also the PG of the team. Davis is a good passer, even though he didn't really have anyone to pass the ball to who could score. He did turn the ball over 2.3 times a game, but when you look at his usage rate, that's an amazing number. Davis is also a very good defensive player, and that's what sets him apart from many of the guards in this draft. He plays both ends of the floor. My comp for Davis is Jimmy Butler! Not because of his skillset, but because of his toughness, and will to win. I think he's going to be a very good NBA player. He may never be a star, although I wouldn't bet against him, but he'll be a player that impacts his team in a lot of positive ways.

9. Spurs - Mark Williams: Center, 7'2", 242 Lb's, 7'6.50" wingspan, Sophomore, Duke.
23.6 mpg - 11.2 ppg - 72.1% fgp - 00.0% 3pp - 72.7% ftp - 7.4 rpg - 0.9 apg - 0.9 to's - 0.5 stl's - 2.8 blk's - ORtg 142.0 - DRtg 93.3.

I almost had Mathurin going here, and he also would have been a good fit. But with the Spurs, you just never know what they're going to do. They may pick a player that I've never heard of. They do go to the beat of their own drummer. Williams may be a bit of a reach at 9, but as I said, the Spurs don't seem to care about such things. With Poeltl on an expiring contract, and with rumors that the Spur's might be desiring to move on from him, drafting a more mobile, longer, and cheaper version of him might be the way to go. Williams did a terrific job of protecting the basket this past season at Duke, and God knows how many shots, or minds he changed. He's also a player that can run the floor in transition, which is where he got a lot of his points.

Williams is a Spurs kind of player. He's very coachable, he doesn't need the ball to do what he does, and he appears to be a player that's willing to play a role. In other words, a perfect Spurs player. He's very good offensively around the basket shooting 72.1% . I don't think he had one 3 pt attempt all season. He's excellent in the P&R, and he also defends the P&R well. I think he rebounded the ball well for 23 minutes a game. If my math is correct, that would be around 12 rebounds per 36 minutes. By the same token, his 2.8 blk's would be around 4.2 blk's per 36 minutes. Williams is also capable of defending on the perimeter. Idealy you don't want him out there defending the Fox's or Morants of the world, but he moves his feet well, and his overall length and wingspan make it difficult for even the quicker players to get past him'

If he ever develops an offensive game away from the basket, then he'll take his game to a different level. The Spurs are good at developing players, so never say never. At worse your getting a player that can defend the basket, rebound, and run the floor. I think he can be a nice fit on the Spurs.

10. Wizards - Bennedict Mathurin: 6'6", 204 Lb's, 6'9" wingspan, Sophomore, Arizona.
32.5 mpg - 17.7 ppg - 45.0% fgp - 36.9% 3pp - 76.4% ftp - 5.6 rpg - 2.5 apg - 1.8 to's - 1.0 stl's - 0.3 blk's - ORtg 119.7 - DRtg 96.8.

The Wizards need defense, a wing, and someone that can score. I think Mathurin fills the bill, and is capable of playing both SG and SF. I think the Wizards are getting a very good player this late in the lottery. I like Mathurin a lot, and I don't think he's come close to reaching his potential. There are always players taken in this area of the draft that end up being better than the players taken above them. I believe that Paul George was the 10 pick in the draft. So it wouldn't be a surprise if Mathurin surpassed expectations. Not saying he's the next Paul George.

Mathurin was the best player on a very good Arizona team, sorry Dalen. He's a very good athlete who is stronger than he looks. He has a quick first step off the dribble and is a good finisher at the basket. While I think his handles are more than fine, They could still use some tightening up. Mathurin is a three level scorer who like Murray and Ivey took a big jump from his Freshman to Sophomore years. He's known to be a hard worker. More importantly, he knows how to play the game. One would like to see him improve his assist to turnover rate, but with his high usage rate (25.1%), that's not a lot of turnovers (1.8). He shot the ball well from beyond the arc (36.9%) and his form looks good and repeatable. Actually, I think with better shot selection and the better spacing in the NBA, he'll be a consistent three pt threat.

I think Mathurin can develop into a plus defender. He has the tools, and he showed good effort on that end of the court. I caught him ball watching while off the ball, and that's something they make you pay dearly for in the NBA. But most of his deficiences are correctable, and I think he has a lot of room to grow. On the ball he moves his feet laterally well and does a decent job of staying in front of his man, but I think he can improve in this area. I also think he'll be able to guard one through three. One of the things I love about Mathurin is that he plays with an edge and intensity. He's a no nonsense player.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Part three:

11. Knicks - A.J. Griffin: SF/SG, 6'6", 222 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, Freshman, Duke.
24.0 mpg - 10.4 ppg - 49.3% fgp - 44.7% 3pp - 79.2% ftp - 3.9 rpg - 1.0 apg - 0.6 to'ers - 0.5 stl's - 0.6 blk's - ORtg 128.9 - DRtg 102.3

This was a tough one for me. The Knicks need shooting, defense and they need help at the center position. So I thought about Duren here, but decided they needed scoring more than what Duren brought. But he would have been a good choice as well. Griffin may have been the best shooter in college last season. When left open on a catch and shoot he hardly missed. If there are questions about Griffin, it's about his health. I watched a lot of his high school film, and then compared his movements from high school to college, and he looks quite a bit different. It appeared to me that he was playing careful at Duke.

Now whether that was because of physical limitations, or by design, I don't know. But it could have been by design, with Duke taking as many precautions as possible. If that's the case, and I have no idea if it is or not, then you may see an entirely different player in the NBA than you saw at Duke. His high school video showed a more athletic version of what we saw at Duke. Offensively Griffin did a good job hitting his open shots. His handles were good and he has a knack for getting his defender to lean in the wrong direction as he blew by him. He seemed to have good touch around the basket. He had a usage rate of 18.8% which is not exceptional. So it was apparent that he had a limited role offensively.

Defensively, in general, he was average to below average. He was better off the ball than on. On the ball he struggled against quick players with good handles, and I'm actually being a little kind here. Once again, he may have been playing it safe against reinjuring himself. He only averaged 1 assist a game to about one half a turnover per game. But he didn't have the ball in his hands that much, and usually when he did, it was for a catch and shoot. If Griffin reacquires his athleticism the Knicks could have a very good player on their hands.

12. Thunder - Jeremy Sochan: SF/PF, 6'9", 230 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Baylor.
25.1 mpg - 9.2 ppg - 47.4% fgp - 29.6% 3pp - 58.9% ftp - 6.4 rpg - 1.8 apg - 1.6 to's - 1.3 stl's - 0.7 blk's - ORtg 111.7 - DRtg 89.8

After drafting Holmgren who should help their defense, I decided to double down on defense and grab Sochan, who is one of my favorite players in the draft. I think he's a very underrated player. He has terrific BBIQ and he's a sneaky quick athlete. One second he's in the right corner and then he suddenly at the basket grabbing a rebound. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time. That's no accident! He has great length and is stronger than he looks. He's a player that doesn't need the ball in his hands to have an impact on the game. While Kendall Brown started the season with the fanfare, It's Sochan that ended the season with it.

The main criticism of Sochan is his three pt shot, which despite his poor finishing average, it actually improved as the season went on. He took less than three a game. I think once in the NBA and able to work full time on his shot, he'll become a respectable outside shooter. He actually has a nice midrange shot which bodes well for the future. Sochan played a role at Baylor and it wasn't until the last third or fourth of the season that Baylor started giving him more offensive responsibility. Up until then, all he was asked to do was rebound and defend. Any points were gravy.

Sochan is a player where his statistic's bely his importance on the floor. Whenever a key rebound was grabbed at a crucial part of the game, you can bet it was Sochan who grabbed it. It was Sochan who saved the ball from going out of bounds for a 2nd chance. While he didn't block a lot of shots, it seemed it was Sochan that blocked the shot at the end of the game. He's a player you had to watch to appreciate. I might add, that he's also one of the younger players in this draft, so there's that. Did I mention that he's an excellent defender as well and he can guard one through four, and probably some small ball five's. I think he'll enjoy playing next to Holmgren.......

13. Hornets - Jalen Duren, Center, 6'11", 250 Lb's, 7'5" wingspan, Freshman, Memphis
25.3 mpg - 12.0 ppg - 59.7% fgp - 00.0% 3pp - 62.5% ftp - 8.1 rpg - 1.3 apg - 2.2 to's - 0.8 stl's - 2.1 blk's - ORtg 112.6 - DRtg 91.9

Well, the Hornets needed a center and they got lucky when one of the best prospects at that position fell to them. I don't think this affects their desire for a veteran center as well. While Duren is a talent, he's also very raw and the Hornets are trying to win now. So I still think a center like Holmes is a viable option for them. Duren is a freak athlete who runs the floor like a deer and jumps like he has springs for legs. He's blessed with a terrific body and a huge wingspan. Right now most of his game is at the rim. He scores on alley oops, putbacks and in the pick and roll. The Hornets are desperate for a rim protector, and Duren fits that description.

The question is, what more can he be in the future. When I watch him play, I see a raw version of Adebayo, and if I might add, he's not as raw as Adebayo was when he came into the NBA. What's promising is that Duren has shown the ability to hit the 15 to 17 foot jumper that you hope he can eventually extend out to 3 pt range. Defensively he's everything you could want in a center. He's a terrific shot blocker with good instincts. He's good at staying down and not biting of pump fakes. He's also shown the ability to defend on the perimeter, and with some work I think he can be a very good pick and roll defender. He has a lot of things to tighten up, but he has all the potential in the world and he's still very young.

Lastly, he's a very good rebounder. He pulled down 8.1 rebounds a game, and he did that in 25 minutes a game. That comes out to about 11.6 boards per 36, which isn't bad. If Duren works hard on his game he has the ability to be a star in the league. Of course I could say that about a lot of players.

14. Cav's - Jalen Williams: SG/SF, 6'5.75", 7'2.25" wingspan, Junior, Santa Clara
34.8 mpg - 18.0 ppg - 51.3% fgp - 39.6% 3pp - 80.9% ftp - 4.4 rpg - 4.2 apg - 2.1 to's - 1.2 stl's - 0.5 blk's - ORtg 118.2 - DRtg 102.6

This is probably a little higher than most mocks have Jalen, not to be confused with Jaylin Williams from Arkansas, a 6'10" C/PF. Jalen has been rising up draft boards mostly because he looked like a man among boys in the five on five scrimages at the combine, and the measurements he put up there. He's actually been outstanding all year, but because of being older, and playing in what's considered a weaker conference, his accomplishments were somewhat diminished nationally. I should point out that Gonzaga and St. Mary's are in the conference, and I thought USF had a good team this season.

Williams has great length with a huge wingspan, and a almost 8'10" standing reach, which puts his reach into the SF/PF territory. He's a good athlete, but not elite. He has very good handles and a wicked crossover which allows him to get anywhere he wants on the floor. He was the difacto PG at times for Santa Clara and is a very good passer with good court vision. He's a smart player who doesn't force things and seldom takes bad shots. If he were a Freshman, and playing for Duke, he'd likely be a top 5 pick.

Defensively, he doesn't have great lateral quickness, but he compensates for it with his wingspan, and with good defensive instincts. That said, he may struggle at times against the Fox's and Morant's of the NBA, but then who doesn't? Williams shot the ball well from deep (39.6%) on 3.2 attempts a game. He was efficient scoring 18 pt's a game on just over 12 shots a game. He's one of those players that makes everyone else better. He also got to the line over 4 times a game. The Cav's need someone who can shoot the ball and create for himself, and for his teammates. Williams fits that description.

15. Hornets - Tari Eason: PF, 6'8", 217 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Sophomore, LSU
24.4 mpg - 16.9 ppg - 52.1% fgp - 35.9% 3pp - 80.3% ftp - 6.6 rpg - 1.0 apg - 2.2 to's -1.9 stl's - 1.1 blks - ORtg 119.2 - DRtg 83.2

I almost went with a couple of other players here, but I think with the Hornets needing rim protection, and with the possibility of moving Washington, Eason made sense here. Eason is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's a defensive player first and foremost. He's an excellent athlete with an outstanding motor. There are times when you think there's two of him on the court. He has the potential to guard one through five. Some scouts have compared him to a young Kawhi Leonard with his huge hands. He's a player that can contribute right now defensively.

Offensively it's a different story. While he shot a respectable 35.9% from three, he only took a little over 2 attempts a game, but it's good start. At present he scores most of his points at the basket on put backs, alley oops and in transition. He has little to no midrange game or seldom displays it. Once inside the three point line, you can bet he's going to the basket. So his offense is still a work in progress. He does have good touch around the basket and he's a good free throw shooter, so that bodes well for the future. In transition, he's almost always the first one down the floor. If running the floor were an art, Eason would be the artist.

He's a good rebounder, and a very physical player. Defensively, he's one of the best defensive players in the draft. He has excellent footwork and good lateral quickness. He has a big wingspan that he uses well on the defensive side. You think you've beat him off the dribble, and then the ball is going the other way He's probably a couple of years away from looking like a finished product, but he does have legit upside and he's reportedly a tireless worker. Eason is a fun player to watch, and if he can become a consistent 3 pt shooter, along with a polished midrange game, the sky's the limit for him. Even without becoming a good shooter, he'll find a way to impact the game.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Part four:

16. Hawks -Malaki Branham: SG, 6'5.50", 194 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, Freshman, Ohio St.
29.6 mpg - 13.7 ppg - 49.8% fgp - 41.6% 3pp - 83.3% ftp - 3.6 rpg - 2.0 apg - 1.7 to's - 0.7 stl's - 0.3 blk's - ORtg 117.3 - DRtg 107.1

Branham has too much talent for the Hawks to pass on him here. If you watched Ohio St. play to see E.J. Liddell, you couldn't help but notice Branham, especially in the 2nd half the season when he took on a more prominent role in the offense. Branham has very good handles along with little hesitation moves that allows him to snake his way through traffic. He's a deadly midrange shooter, who is always a threat to pull up from 15 feet, or go to the basket. More importantly, he's a very good 3 pt shooter hitting 41.6% of his shots from three. He's a player that could help spread the floor and take some of the pressure off Young. With his ballhandling he could also allow Young to play off the ball a little more.

Defensively I have some questions. I think he's a little suspect laterally and that he needs more focus off the ball. He's not terrible, but I think he'll struggle against some of the quicker guards in the NBA. He wasn't horrible in the agility drills at the combine so there's some defensive potential there. A lot of what I saw was correctable. He appeared to lack focus at times. His running mate Liddell was a far better defender. But then he had two more years of experience being a Junior. To sum it up, I don't think Branham will be a defensive liability, but I doubt he'll ever be a plus defender either. I hope he proves me wrong.

17. Rockets - Ty Ty Washington: PG, 6'3.75", 196 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, Freshman, Kentucky
29.2 mpg - 12.5 ppg - 45.1% fgp - 35.0% 3pp - 75.0% ftp - 3.5 rpg - 3.9 apg - 1.6 to's - 1.3 stl's - 0.2 blk's - ORtg 114.8 - DRtg 98.4

The Rockets don't have a true PG on their roster. While Porter did a decent job for them last year, he's not a PG. At this stage of the draft, Washington is best PG available, plus Kentucky guards always seem to out perform their draft position. Herro, Booker, Maxey, Quickley, and Murray etc. I'm sure Washington's year didn't go the way he expected. Like Quickley he was recruited to play PG, but instead was asked to play off the ball at SG because in Ty Ty's case, Calipari liked Wheeler's ability as a distributor. Throw in an injury which caused him to miss some games, and the result was an up and down season. However, he was given an opportunity when Wheeler missed a couple of games, and he excelled at the point. Against Georgia, he had 17 points and 17 assists.

Washington isn't a bad 3 pt shooter at 35% and his form looks good. He's capable of creating his own shot and he's a deadly scorer from midrange. He has good handles and a very quick first step. I'd say he's more sneaky quick than athletic quick. I like Washington and it wouldn't surprise me if, like his predecessor's, he exceeded expectations. Washington is a good and willing defender. He seems to enjoy playing defense. I like Washington and feel he's being underrated by many of the mocks.

18. Bulls - Ochai Agbaji: SG, 6'5.75", 216 Lb's, 6'10.25" wingspan, Senior, Kansas
35.1 mpg - 18.8 ppg - 47.5% fgp - 40.7% 3pp - 74.3% ftp - 5.1 rpg - 1.6 apg - 2.1 to's - 0.9 stl's - 0.6 blk's - ORtg 116.3 - DRtg 99.9

There's no doubt that if Agbaji wasn't a Senior he would go much higher. Agbaji was the best player on the Kansas team and at times carried the team. Agbaji is a very good shooter, shooting over 40% from three, and he did it on 6.5 attempts a game. So he can definitely help spread the floor. . His handles are OK but they could improve since he's more of a straight line driver to the basket. He's a very good athlete, but not a twitchy explosive athlete. He runs the floor extremely well, and can throw down some sport center highlight dunks.

He's not a player that can create for himself off the dribble, or for others. I think his handle limits him in that area. He's not as aggressive offensively as I would have liked and I don't know if that's him playing within his limits, or by design in the offensive scheme at Kansas. There's a long list of guards and small forwards that came out of the Kansas system that all seemed to suffer with the same aflication. Then again, I can't say the same thing about his teammate Christian Braun. Agbaji is a good and smart defender, who can defend multiple positions due to his length. With Lavine being an unrestricted free agent, Agbaji would be insurance at the SG spot.

19. TimberWolves - E. J. Liddell: PF/SF, 6'7", 243 Lb's, 6'11.75" wingspan, Junior, Ohio St.
33.2 mpg - 19.4 ppg - 49.0% fgp - 37.4% 3pp - 76.5% ftp - 7.9 rpg - 2.5 apg - 2.4 to's - 0.6 stl's - 2.6 blk's - ORtg 120.6 - DRtg 103.0

I think the T Wolves are getting a good player here who checks a lot of boxes for them. While only 6'7", Liddell is almost unmovable when down on the block defensively, and he'll move you down there. He's a very strong athlete who also is a quick leaper. He posted a 38" max vert at the combine. He's surprisingly quick on his feet, and is a monster in the post. He was the best player on the Ohio St. team with Malaki Branham coming in a close second. He's blessed with a huge wingspan which along with his quick hops makes him a very good rebounder, and on the defensive end, a good shot blocker averaging 2.6 blocks a game.

Liddell has a nice midrange game as well which reminded me a bit of Paul Milsap. The icing on the cake is that he can spread the floor with his 3pt shot, where he shot over 37% from three. I think eventually he's capable of averaging close to 40% in the NBA. with the better spacing and where I doubt he'll be double teamed every time he touches the ball. He's a tough hardnosed player who defends well on the perimeter as well as in the post. He's a terrific help defender, and another player that has high BBIQ. He can play either the small forward position of the power forward position, and defend both. I have no doubt he can defend a small ball center as well with his strength.

20. Spurs - Gabriele Procida: SG/SF, 6'7.75", 192 Lb's, 6'8" wingspan, 19 years old, International
18.1 mpg - 7.0 ppg - 52.2% fgp - 38.3% 3pp - 78.4% ftp - 3.0 rpg - 0.7 apg - 0.7 to's - 0.8 stl's - 0.3 blk's

I'm sure some think this is a reach, but Procida just feels like a Spurs pick. Like a lot of young European players he didn't get a lot of minutes, but he was impressive in the minutes he did play. He's a very good athlete who lays down some spectacular dunks in transition. He shot the three at over 40% for most of the year and then tappered off at the end. He has good form on his shot and has good handles. He plays with a cocky edge to him which is fun to watch. Lets say that he has a flair for the dramatic. He loves to play downhill, and leave him just an inch of daylight defensively, and he'll blow right past you to the basket. He has great hops and at times it feels like he's flying through the air.

He has the tools to be a good defender and is great at playing the passing lanes. While he doesn't have a huge wingspan, he has quick hands and will pick your pocket if you get careless with the ball. He's young, and loaded with potential and he has that air about him that makes him stand out. Don't know if he'll ever be a star, but I suspect that if there's a star in there, the Spurs are the team to find it. I really like Procida. He's fun to watch.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Part five:

21. Nuggets - Wendell Moore: SG, 6'5.50", 217 Lb's, 7'0.50" wingspan, Junior, Duke
33.9 mpg - 13.4 ppg - 50.0% fgp - 41.3% 3pp - 80.5% ftp - 5.3 rpg - 4.4 apg - 1.9 to's - 1.4 stl's - 0.2 blk's - ORtg 123.4 - DRtg 101.2

The Nuggets are in the win now mode, and getting back both Murray and Porter Jr. will certainly help next season, if both can stay healthy. But with both of them down this past season the lack of depth showed, especially in the area of 3 pt shooting. So in the draft they can go a couple of ways. One, draft a young promising player to develop for the future, or two, draft a player that's more ready to contribute right now. Or of course then can also trade the pick away for a veteran player. My guess is that they'll go for immediate help and Moore fits the description. He's a plug and play player who can shoot the three and help space the floor. He has good size for the SG position, and he has the length to play the SF position with the right matchup.

He's also a good athlete who posted a 38.5" max vertical at the combine. I think he got a bit overlooked this past season at Duke with the likes of Griffin, Banchero, and Williams on the team, but he had a very solid season shooting 41.3% from beyond the arc on 3.8 attempts a game. Moore is a good passer who can also create for others as verified by his 4.4 assists a game with only 1.9 turnovers. He's a good defender, at least at the college level, being blessed with a huge wingspan. I think he would be a great fit in Denver.

22. Grizzlies -Christian Braun: SF/SG, 6'7", 209 Lb's, 6'6.50" wingspan, Junior, Kansas
34.1 mpg - 14.1 ppg - 49.5% fgp - 38.6% 3pp - 73.3% ftp - 6.5 rpg - 2.8 apg - 2.0 to's - 1.0 stl's - 0.9 blk's - ORtg 116.5 - DRtg 96.9

Braun is a Grizzly type of player. He plays with an edge and a non stop motor. He might have been the biggest trash talker in college basketball last season, dropping F bombs non stop around the court. His play matches his mouth. He's a tough hard nosed player who will get into you defensively with his body while trying to get into your head as well. He's good athlete who posted a 40" max vertical at the combine, and put up similar numbers in the agility drills as his teammate Ochai Agbaji, who is considered a very good athlete. They made an interesting pair on the floor together with Agbaju looking like the relaxed laid back player and Braun looking like a player running on a high octane fuel.

Braun probably needs to add some strength and tighten up a couple of things, but he's one of my favorite players in the draft. He loves to play a physical game, and he'll have to adjust a bit in the NBA unless he wants to foul out of every game. But I love his intensity and energy. He's a perfect fit on the Grizzly team.

23. 76'ers - Jake Laravia: SF/SG, 6'8", 227 Lb's - 6'9.50" wingspan, Junior, Wake Forest
34.2 mpg - 14.6 ppg - 55.9% fgp - 38.4% 3pp - 77.7% ftp - 6.6 rpg - 3.7 apg - 2.7 to's - 1.7 stl's - 1.0 blk's - ORtg 121.7 - DRtg 95.9

The 76'ers could use some help at the wing position and Laravia can play both SG and SF, and probably spend some time at PF as well, since he likes to play a little bully ball down low at times. Laravia is a decent to good defender who reads the floor well and anticipates well in the passing lanes. He's a good help defender as well, and he should take some of the defensive pressure off Embid. He shot a very respectable 38.4% from three this past season on 2.2 attempts a game. Apparently he was one of he best shooters in the shooting drills at the combine. Laravia loves to post up and is very good around the basket with good touch. He's a smart player offensively who loves to punish defensive players on a close out.

While he needs to cut down on his turnovers, he is a very good passer who can create for others, and played more like a point forward at Wake Forest. He is a Junior but is still only 20 years old and won't turn 21 until Nov 3rd. He's a player on the rise who could, and I think will, easily out perform his draft position..

24. Bucks - Nikola Jovic: PF/SF, 6'11", 222 Lb's, 7'0.25" wingspan, Turns 19 on June 9th 2022, K.K. Mega
28.4 mpg - 12.0 ppg - 41.4% fgp - 31.5% 3pp - 71.8% ftp - 4.8 rpg - 3.6 apg - 3.1 to's - 0.7 stl's - 0.4 blk's - Offensive and Defensive ratings NA

Jovic is just too talented to pass up at this point, so the rich get richer. I will admit that I haven't seen nearly as many games of Jovic as I have most of the other players, but he was very impressive at times in the games I did watch. He has very good handles for a player his size, and is capable of leading the break. And for a player who doesn't have a quick first step off the dribble, he seems to get to the basket when ever he wants. I think he's going to be a better shooter than the percentages he put up. He has a nice quick release that looks effortless. I'm sure those percentages will improve once in the NBA. Jovic is a very good passer with excellent court vision. Speaking of vision, I almost went blind watching those pink uniforms.

Jovic is a more physical player than I expected. He's not afraid of contact. And while he doesn't have great hops, he's capable of playing above the basket. Defensively he's better than I thought he would be. He moves laterally well and does a good job of keeping his man in front of him. I don't think I want him guarding PG's in the NBA, but I don't think he'll be a liability on defense, which was my initial worry. In short, Jovic is a very talented big man whose skill level more than makes up for any athletic deficiencies

25. Spur's - Ousmane Dieng: SF, 6'9", 190 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, 19 years old, N.Z. Breakers
20.8 mpg - 8.9 ppg - 39.8% fgp - 27.1% 3pp - 66.7% ftp - 3.1 rpg - 1.0 apg - 1.4 to's - 0.6 stl's - 0.3 blk's - Offensive and Defensive ratings NA

With Dieng, your betting on upside. His numbers certainly won't get you excited. Matter of fact, they make you wonder why in the world he would be a first round pick. Well, if you could see the numbers he put up in the first half the season then these numbers would look terrific. I believe his 3 pt percentage was as low as 12% at one point and his overall percentage was down around 21%. Don't quote me, but I think I'm pretty close. Obviously it was the tale of two halves for Ousmane. I think his shot still needs some work. It looks like he shoots the ball on the way up.

He's a very smooth fluid athlete with great lateral quickness on defense and looks the part of a future lock down defender . Offensively he has a very quick first step and can blow right past you. He's an excellent passer and ball handler, and he has a little twitch in his game. To me, he's the biggest boom or bust player in the first round, but that's just my opinion. Then again, were talking about the Spurs, who are good at making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Plus, it's the bottom of the first round, so why not. I wouldn't be shocked if some team took him higher, but for me, this is where he should probably go.

26. Rockets - Kendall Brown: SF, 6'7.50", 201 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Baylor
27.0 mpg - 9.7 ppg - 58.4% fgp - 34.1% 3pp - 68.9% ftp - 4.9 rpg - 1.9 apg - 1.7 to's - 1.0 stl's - 0.4 blk's - ORtg 118.5 - DRtg 95.2

Earlier in the year I had Brown in my top ten, but he worked hard and eventually ended up here at 26. Make no mistake, he's still a talented player, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He can guard one through four. He's blessed with teriffic athleticism and great hops. He posted a 41inch max vertical at the combine. He runs the floor like a deer, and is constantly moving on offense. I didn't look it up, but my bet is, that a majority of his points are assisted. However leave him a crease in the defense, and he'll fly through it to the basket, where he seldom missed.

My problem with him is his lack of aggression on offense. He passes up open shots. His three pt percentage isn't horrible, and earlier in the year he was over 40%. He averaged just slightly over one three point attempt a game, and I know he passed up far more than that. That said, he is active on offense, constantly moving without the ball, running back door cuts to the basket or sliding to the open spot on the floor where he can pass up an open shot. He got most of his points at the basket on cuts, putbacks and in transition. You watch him and you can't help but think he could be more than what he is, and maybe he'll finally realize that. Other than that, he should be able to help you defensively right away.

27. Heat - Blake Wesley: SG, 6'4.25", 187 Lb's 6'9.25" wingspan, Freshman, Notre Dame
29.3 mpg - 14.4 ppg - 40.4% fgp - 30.3% 3pp - 65.7% ftp - 3.7 rpg - 2.4 apg - 2.2 to's - 1.3 stls - 0.1 blk's - ORtg 97.2 - DRtg 101.1

Wesley is a terrific athlete with quick first step off the dribble. He excels at getting to the basket, and has a pretty good midrange game with pull ups and floaters to go with it. He's hard to stop going downhill in transition. He has good handles and has no problem getting where ever he wants on the court. If he can ever develop a consistent 3 pt shot somewhere near 36 to 38 percent, He could be a star in the league. He has all the other tools. He's an exciting player to watch who I'm sure will occasionally be on the ESPN dunks of the night reel. He's willing and decent passer. Most of his creating for others comes from penetrating into the lane and kicking out to the open man. And because of his ability to get to the basket, he draws a lot of attention.

Defensively, he has a chance to be a plus defender. He has a plus 5 inch wingspan and good lateral quickness. His court awareness and ability to read the floor, allows him to create chaos in the passing lanes. Get a little careless with the ball and he'll pick your pocket. He probably gambles a bit more than he should and he occasionally loses focus off the ball. But you can see the potential there. He's also a good and smart help defender, who seems to enjoy playing defense. The Heat are good at taking players off the trash heap and turning them into solid players. So with a player like Wesley it should be an easy transition to the NBA.

28. Warriors: Dalen Terry: PG/SG/SF, 6'7.25", 195 Lb's, 7'0.75" wingspan, Sophomore, Arizona
27.8 mpg - 8.0 ppg - 50.2% fgp - 36.4% 3pp - 73.6% ftp - 4.8 rpg - 3.9 apg - 1.4 to's - 1.2 stl's - 0.3 blk's - ORtg 122.8 - DRtg 94.6

I love Terry's game, and would have loved to have figured out a way to slide him down to us (Kings) for the 37th pick, but couldn't in good concious do that. So once again, the rich get richer. Every time Terry stepped on the floor, he changed the feel of the game. He can play three positions and defend all three positions. He's a very good passer with great court vision who can create for himself or others. He's able to see passes that others can't see. Some of his bounce passes through traffic are amazing. Terry is also a three level scorer. He shot a very respectable 36.4% from three and 50% overall. He's a very good finisher at the basket and has a nice midrange game. The form on his jump shot looks good and and his shot looks effortless. If I were to nit pick I would say his release is a bit slow.

Terry is a good athlete, but not an elite athlete. However he has good anticipation, plus good lateral quickness and does a good job of keeping his man in front of him. If you lose focus for a moment, he'll pick your pocket. More than one player this past season has gottened frustrated trying to get past Terry, lost focus for a second, and then lost the ball. Terry's huge wingspan helps! He's very good at reading plays and playing the passing lane for steals. He's a smart player who has a terrific feel for the game.

29. Grizzlies - Walker Kessler: Center, 7'1", 256 Lb's, 7'4.25" wingspan, Sophomore, Auburn
25.6 mpg - 11.4 ppg - 60.8% fgp - 20.0% 3pp - 59.6% ftp - 8.1 rpg - 0.9 apg - 1.1 to's - 1.1 stl's - 4.6 blk's - ORtg 126.0 - DRtg 83.0

Aside from Adams the Grizz don't really have a legit center other than Jaren Jackson, who they prefer to play at PF. So Kessler would give them their center of the future, and a nice backup center who certainly could physically fill the same space as Adams. They also pick up one of the best shot blockers in college last season averaging 4.6 blocks in 25 minutes per game. That comes out an incredible 6.5 blocks per 36 minutes. Kessler is surprisingly agile for a man his size and he has decent handles as well. He has some nice spin moves around the basket as well as some drop steps. He has nice touch at the basket as his 60% overall percentage verifies. He has the makings of a midrange game, and the beginnings of a 3 pt shot. His form isn't that bad if not a bit slow. But the slowness didn't matter because no one guarded him on the perimeter.

Defensively he's a monster around the basket. God knows how many shots he changed, or how many minds he changed. He has good footwork and reacts quickly. Away from the basket he's better than one would think. Don't get me wrong, Ja Morant would salavate at the sight of a one on one with Kessler. But Kessler is surprisingly quick to recover and many times block the shot from behind. If he can become consistent with his 3 pt shot he could become a two headed monster.

30. Thunder - Hyunjung Lee: SF/SG, 6'7", 210 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Junior, Davidson
32.1 mpg - 15.8 ppg - 47.4 fgp - 38.1% 3pp - 77.7% ftp - 6.0 rpg - 1.9 apg - 1.5 to's - 0.7 stl's - 0.3 blk's - ORtg 118.2 - DRtg 100.4

I'm sure many people would have someone else here, but it's my mock so I'll pick who I want, and I like Lee. Lee has a chance to be a sniper in the NBA, He's a very good shooter who can score from anywhere on the floor. He's also a good rebounder for his position. Yeah, I know, he plays for Davidson against weaker competition. Well, so did Steph Curry when he played for Davidson. Lee is a good athlete who on offense, is mostly a score first type of player. He can pass the ball and averaged almost two assists a game. He has decent to good handles, and is a good finisher at the basket.

Lee is a decent to good defender with good enough lateral quickness that I don't think he'll be a liability on defense. He might even surprise me and be better than I think. Sometimes when you watch a player, for some reason he stands out to you. So you end up liking him, even if you can't explain why. There's just something about him that you can't put your finger on. Your just going on your gut. Lee is one of those players. I see his future as a possible 6th man on a good team. Or, perhaps a solid career in Europe.

Love it Baja. Williams at 9 and Kessler at 29 is a real interesting spread, I think a lot of people see them as pretty comparable players. Would love to try to move up to 15 if Eason were still there. Def think Liddell is a top 20 talent too. I think he joins a playoff teams rotation right away next season and is very very good.

That Pelicans 8th pick, especially if the top 7 go pretty chalky is one of the more interesting in the draft. Could legit see like 6 names go in that slot. My lean would be AJ Griffin as he's basically in that same talent range as all those guys, but fits beautifully with his spacing next to all their super ball-dominant paint collapsers.

Great job as always, @Baja!

What do you think Murray's draft potential is if he isn't picked at #4? Do you think he'll fall past the top 10?

Great mock draft. Like you, I'm not as high as Wesley as others have been. I think it's counter-productive to draft a SG who can't shoot in the modern NBA. However, his athleticism flys off the page. On a good team like the Heat, I can see him developing his game into a solid player. However, put him on a bad team, he could be out of the league in a couple years.

I'm really interested to see where Procida ends up. I agree with your entire assessment of him, he's a 1st rounder for me. However, Jonathan Givony still has him at #51 in his "best remaining players." I don't understand this at all, because he's a clear 1st round talent. We'll see what happens on draft night.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great job as always, @Baja!

What do you think Murray's draft potential is if he isn't picked at #4? Do you think he'll fall past the top 10?
No, I doubt he would get past five. And the Pacers have already hinted that Murray is player their interested. Lastly, Murray would look good next to Lillard.
If Ivey jumped up in draft leaving Kings with a choice of Murray or Banchero who would you take? Sounds like you would still take Murray
I've watched so much film on these players and God knows how many games. Banchero is a terrific talent, but so is Murray. In a way, Murray is being penalized for being too good. For being too safe. Murray plays both sides of he court. Not saying Banchero doesn't try, but I have my worries about him guarding on the perimeter. At Duke Banchero had a rim protector behind him in Williams. He wouldn't have that with the Kings. I don't have that concern with Murray. I just happen to like Murray more than Banchero, but I understand those on the Banchero band wagon.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great mock draft. Like you, I'm not as high as Wesley as others have been. I think it's counter-productive to draft a SG who can't shoot in the modern NBA. However, his athleticism flys off the page. On a good team like the Heat, I can see him developing his game into a solid player. However, put him on a bad team, he could be out of the league in a couple years.

I'm really interested to see where Procida ends up. I agree with your entire assessment of him, he's a 1st rounder for me. However, Jonathan Givony still has him at #51 in his "best remaining players." I don't understand this at all, because he's a clear 1st round talent. We'll see what happens on draft night.
Givony wasn't a big Tyreke Evans fan either and I think he had him either in bottom half of the 1st rd, or in the top of the 2nd round. I had Evans in the lottery and picked him for the Kings. I happened to be right, and let Givony know that when I saw him at summer league.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Love it Baja. Williams at 9 and Kessler at 29 is a real interesting spread, I think a lot of people see them as pretty comparable players. Would love to try to move up to 15 if Eason were still there. Def think Liddell is a top 20 talent too. I think he joins a playoff teams rotation right away next season and is very very good.

That Pelicans 8th pick, especially if the top 7 go pretty chalky is one of the more interesting in the draft. Could legit see like 6 names go in that slot. My lean would be AJ Griffin as he's basically in that same talent range as all those guys, but fits beautifully with his spacing next to all their super ball-dominant paint collapsers.
Both Williams and Kessler were terrific at protecting the rim. And I like them both, but I think Williams is a better athlete and he has better recovery skills at the basket. I think Williams is better at defending on the perimeter than Kessler, although I would prefer that neither be out there. Kessler is basically a drop coverage player when defending the P&R. Williams is able to show, and still get back to his man. When you consider that the P&R is the bread and butter play in the NBA, I'll go with the player who I think is the better defender.

Givony wasn't a big Tyreke Evans fan either and I think he had him either in bottom half of the 1st rd, or in the top of the 2nd round. I had Evans in the lottery and picked him for the Kings. I happened to be right, and let Givony know that when I saw him at summer league.
And for the past decade I‘ve let one of my best friends know I was right about Steph Curry >>> Tyreke Evans.

We argued over the KINGS decision to take Evans for weeks and weeks after that 2009 draft and he had bragging rights for about 2 years. Then it went 180 degrees and has grown exponentially worse and worse since.

I still contend that Curry was a prototypical Geoff Petrie type of draft selection and that the Magoofs pressured him into taking Evans who they thought was the next Derrick Rose.

IMO the Magoofs transitioned from “hands off” owners in terms of basketball decisions circa 2006 when they led the charge to trade for Ron Artest then pressured Petrie into firing Rick Adelman.

We all know how things have transpired for this franchise ever since….

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And for the past decade I‘ve let one of my best friends know I was right about Steph Curry >>> Tyreke Evans.

We argued over the KINGS decision to take Evans for weeks and weeks after that 2009 draft and he had bragging rights for about 2 years. Then it went 180 degrees and has grown exponentially worse and worse since.

I still contend that Curry was a prototypical Geoff Petrie type of draft selection and that the Magoofs pressured him into taking Evans who they thought was the next Derrick Rose.

IMO the Magoofs transitioned from “hands off” owners in terms of basketball decisions circa 2006 when they led the charge to trade for Ron Artest then pressured Petrie into firing Rick Adelman.

We all know how things have transpired for this franchise ever since….
They actually had tried to pressure Petrie into firing Adelman a few years before that and Petrie told them that if Adelman went, then he would go to, and they backed off. One of the reasons they didn't like Adelman was that he didn't like the spotlight. He was a very private person who did his job, but beyond that, liked his privacy. The Maloof's wanted someone more outgoing. Stupid reason for getting rid of a head coach.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I doubt he would get past five. And the Pacers have already hinted that Murray is player their interested. Lastly, Murray would look good next to Lillard.

I've watched so much film on these players and God knows how many games. Banchero is a terrific talent, but so is Murray. In a way, Murray is being penalized for being too good. For being too safe. Murray plays both sides of he court. Not saying Banchero doesn't try, but I have my worries about him guarding on the perimeter. At Duke Banchero had a rim protector behind him in Williams. He wouldn't have that with the Kings. I don't have that concern with Murray. I just happen to like Murray more than Banchero, but I understand those on the Banchero band wagon.
Right now I think Murray is clearly the better player. Banchero is bigger and younger, but to me the biggest argument in his favor is his playmaking ability. Is the case that it's a hole in Murray's game or just that he wasn't called on to do it and/or didn't really have anyone to playmake for on that Iowa team?

In today's NBA that's almost a vital skill to have and we'll find out soon if Murray can also make people around him better.

Right now I think Murray is clearly the better player. Banchero is bigger and younger, but to me the biggest argument in his favor is his playmaking ability. Is the case that it's a hole in Murray's game or just that he wasn't called on to do it and/or didn't really have anyone to playmake for on that Iowa team?

In today's NBA that's almost a vital skill to have and we'll find out soon if Murray can also make people around him better.
I'd bet on it. Davis too. Both are just such smart, High IQ, well-rounded offensive players that it would really surprise me if they weren't at least passable playmakers in the NBA

You can't facilitate if you can't beat your man or attract double teams. Keegan might be able to get assists through posting up if he's good enough at it to command a double team but he's not looking like he's going to be able to drive and kick since he doesn't have the handles, nor the first step to do it. I wouldn't pin my draft hopes on him being a 3+ assist per game guy. He may wind up being a high level 3&D player that needs other players to make him better, rather than vice versa.

He showed improvement in his playmaking during the season. His coach pointed out how he would watch film and see where he had missed teammates, and made adjustments as the season went on.

You can't facilitate if you can't beat your man or attract double teams. Keegan might be able to get assists through posting up if he's good enough at it to command a double team but he's not looking like he's going to be able to drive and kick since he doesn't have the handles, nor the first step to do it. I wouldn't pin my draft hopes on him being a 3+ assist per game guy. He may wind up being a high level 3&D player that needs other players to make him better, rather than vice versa.
You do realize that Keegan was double teamed most of the time?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I watched him enough to know that he has a slow first step.
I don't think that even matters for a player whose going to get the lion's share of his points on catch and shoot threes, post ups, put backs, fast breaks, and finishing lobs. He fits an archetype that the Kings have aggressively avoided for the last 16 years of futility (the off ball scorer) in favor of players who all want to pound the ball and win by themselves. Go through any Spurs roster over that time period and tell me how many of them have a great first step. That's who we want to be... a team rather than a roster full of dudes who all want to be the man.

I don't think that even matters for a player whose going to get the lion's share of his points on catch and shoot threes, post ups, put backs, fast breaks, and finishing lobs. He fits an archetype that the Kings have aggressively avoided for the last 16 years of futility (the off ball scorer) in favor of players who all want to pound the ball and win by themselves. Go through any Spurs roster over that time period and tell me how many of them have a great first step. That's who we want to be... a team rather than a roster full of dudes who all want to be the man.
I'm a Murray fan and I get it, but I'm just saying don't expect him to develop point forward type skills or have above average playmaking. He hasn't shown the ability to do any of that stuff. The things you've described are the things he's proven that he's good at.

A guy like Ivey might have below average play making skills right now but he has the ability to beat his man off the dribble with ease so he has a much higher chance of being able to make plays off of that than a guy like Murray who has a slow first step with a fairly low first gear.

One thing I like about Murray is even though his usage rate is by far the highest on the team, he never came across like a ball hog to me. Usually got his points within the offense in some manner or the other without dribbling the air out of the ball. If he didn't have a play, he would pass the ball back out immediately without wasting time. Even though he's not looking like he'll be a high assist guy, he's not a ball stopper and should be able to fit right in with nearly any offense.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm a Murray fan and I get it, but I'm just saying don't expect him to develop point forward type skills or have above average playmaking. He hasn't shown the ability to do any of that stuff. The things you've described are the things he's proven that he's good at.

A guy like Ivey might have below average play making skills right now but he has the ability to beat his man off the dribble with ease so he has a much higher chance of being able to make plays off of that than a guy like Murray who has a slow first step with a fairly low first gear.

One thing I like about Murray is even though his usage rate is by far the highest on the team, he never came across like a ball hog to me. Usually got his points within the offense in some manner or the other without dribbling the air out of the ball. If he didn't have a play, he would pass the ball back out immediately without wasting time. Even though he's not looking like he'll be a high assist guy, he's not a ball stopper and should be able to fit right in with nearly any offense.
I guess I'm just not seeing how lack of playmaking is a problem for a guy who does everything else. Part of the reason that I think Banchero is such a poor fit for us is that playmaking is basically his only skill that projects as special in the NBA and that's a problem on a team that already has two primary playmakers. Fox is a top 10 PG in apg when he's allowed to initiate the offense. Sabonis is probably runner-up to Jokic as a passing big man. If Banchero could also catch and shoot and defend there would be no downside to the playmaking but if that's what he needs to do to be a star don't we have another Fox vs. Haliburton situation on our hands? In the context of this team I feel like Murray has more star potential than Banchero does because he doesn't need the ball to be a 20ppg scorer and because he's shown signs of being dominant on both sides of the floor.

I guess I'm just not seeing how lack of playmaking is a problem for a guy who does everything else. Part of the reason that I think Banchero is such a poor fit for us is that playmaking is basically his only skill that projects as special in the NBA and that's a problem on a team that already has two primary playmakers. Fox is a top 10 PG in apg when he's allowed to initiate the offense. Sabonis is probably runner-up to Jokic as a passing big man. If Banchero could also catch and shoot and defend there would be no downside to the playmaking but if that's what he needs to do to be a star don't we have another Fox vs. Haliburton situation on our hands? In the context of this team I feel like Murray has more star potential than Banchero does because he doesn't need the ball to be a 20ppg scorer and because he's shown signs of being dominant on both sides of the floor.
Passing up on Banchero for Murray would be a huge mistake. Murray might not need the ball at Iowa to put up 20ppg but the NBA is going to be a different story and we'll see if his post play translates. I would say it doesn't translate very well. Now you've got a guy whose skill that earned him a bulk of his stats in college unable to do it consistently at the next level and what looks like a 20+ppg player in college is really equivalent to a 14ppg player. Most guys that can do damage in the post in college that are duds in the NBA.

Murray has skills outside of that but don't be surprised if he just winds up being a Jae Crowder type 12ppg player that has a defined 3&D role while Banchero is the next Siakam.

Passing up on Banchero for Murray would be a huge mistake. Murray might not need the ball at Iowa to put up 20ppg but the NBA is going to be a different story and we'll see if his post play translates. I would say it doesn't translate very well. Now you've got a guy whose skill that earned him a bulk of his stats in college unable to do it consistently at the next level and what looks like a 20+ppg player in college is really equivalent to a 14ppg player. Most guys that can do damage in the post in college that are duds in the NBA.

Murray has skills outside of that but don't be surprised if he just winds up being a Jae Crowder type 12ppg player that has a defined 3&D role while Banchero is the next Siakam.
I find it interesting that you would compare Banchero to Siakam. Siakam came into the league after his Junior season (6 months older than Murray) with almost no skills to speak of. He was athletic, could run the floor, rebound and hopefully defend. He was a poor ball handler, couldn't shoot and had shown zero vision as a passer.

You could say the same thing about Jabari too. He's going to be a beyond elite shooter and has all the physical tools+some good defensive tape to be an impactful defender. And yes, he's very young, but he's got a long ways to go in terms of being a "go to" #1 option. I think i'd rate all of Chet/Paolo/Ivey/Murray ahead of him in terms of that skill.

Yeah, it's generally pretty rare for a Big/Forward to be able to come in with a playmaking skill-set. Most of the time, it's guys with real on-ball scoring/handles that eventually develop into a playmaker at the NBA level.