KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is for what, and for who? If they move back Randle and 11 is probably going to be the deal. Indy? Not far enough down probably plus what do they have to give the Kings or would give the Kings? Pistons and Grant is probably not likely either since they are just one spot behind. If they want Ivey they'll just call Monte's bluff. Portland has jack and crap to offer plus they are still trying to build around Dame it would seem. The Pels aren't moving any core pieces and outside of the core pieces they have nothing to bridge the gap. San Antonio has some pieces maybe but I don't think Monte would move all the way down to 9 unless Griffin/Mathurin were guaranteed to be there since those are two they've looked at. The other option is Kuz and 10? NO THANK YOU, lol. The Thunder are supposedly trying to get a pick in the top 5 now, gee, see what happens when teams are desperate for the Kings to blow this easy decision? haha. But how would getting future picks that might not even be all the valuable since they haven't been till now help the Kings move up now? The Kings are almost in a position where they move back a tad or just stick where they are.
I don't think it's as much about calling the Kings bluff as it is the potential interest in teams wanting to move up to 4. Yeah, it's only one spot for the Pistons, but what if the Spurs hang #9+#20+Vassell? What if the Pacers offer 6+Brog for 4+expirings? What if Portland offers Little-Hart+7? What if the Knicks offer 11+future FRP+Quickley/RJ?

Fair to say that Ivey will have interest. Up to Monte to leverage that to pin teams against each other if they want to move up. And even still, Monte has shown he doesn't give a flying F about team construction in the draft and takes who he thinks is BPA. So even if teams "think" he drafts Murray, there's still plenty of smoke that Monte won't let Ivey go if he's his BPA, but he "wants" Murray

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The thing is for what, and for who? If they move back Randle and 11 is probably going to be the deal. Indy? Not far enough down probably plus what do they have to give the Kings or would give the Kings? Pistons and Grant is probably not likely either since they are just one spot behind. If they want Ivey they'll just call Monte's bluff. Portland has jack and crap to offer plus they are still trying to build around Dame it would seem. The Pels aren't moving any core pieces and outside of the core pieces they have nothing to bridge the gap. San Antonio has some pieces maybe but I don't think Monte would move all the way down to 9 unless Griffin/Mathurin were guaranteed to be there since those are two they've looked at. The other option is Kuz and 10? NO THANK YOU, lol. The Thunder are supposedly trying to get a pick in the top 5 now, gee, see what happens when teams are desperate for the Kings to blow this easy decision? haha. But how would getting future picks that might not even be all the valuable since they haven't been till now help the Kings move up now? The Kings are almost in a position where they move back a tad or just stick where they are.
Wonder if 7 + the Mil 25 or whatever they wound up getting for CJ + Josh Hart is worthwhile? Basically they wind up trading CJ & 7 for #4 at that point which is a pretty disappointing haul but they might be able to pursue Grant with their own future picks? I bet if they hadn't shored up their FO with the two new hires they'd do something like that out of desperation.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think it's as much about calling the Kings bluff as it is the potential interest in teams wanting to move up to 4. Yeah, it's only one spot for the Pistons, but what if the Spurs hang #9+#20+Vassell? What if the Pacers offer 6+Brog for 4+expirings? What if Portland offers Little-Hart+7? What if the Knicks offer 11+future FRP+Quickley/RJ?

Fair to say that Ivey will have interest. Up to Monte to leverage that to pin teams against each other if they want to move up.
If you love a player it doesn't matter how many spots it is. Luka for Trae was just a 3 - 5. Folks who were alive at the start of the golden age may remember Vince Carter for Antawn Jamison which was a 4 for 5 deal, though only cash was exchanged if I understand correctly. Toronto was able to get GS to pay them buy letting rumors swirl that they were going to draft Jamison and trade down. So we could float Ivey to Indy or Ivey to Portland rumors to see if anyone bites.

I would expect to see some of this heat up once Brown arrives in Sacramento.

Good post. Needless to say, every GM would like to move back and gain added assets if the guy he wants is projected to go lower than the draft position. Need to get appropriate value and fit. Sometimes, you can't make a deal since none available make sense.

Something that sticks in my mind from last season was the Kings record when Harkless started. Wasn’t it a better winning percentage than other lineups? And the point of me bringing this up is that if we added a better version or Harkless, actually added 2 of the 3 and D wings, I feel as though we significantly improve especially if Mike Brown has defensive pieces to work with.

Isn’t Murray a guy that fits the profile?
But, but it’s not like he’s a gotta have elite guy. I don’t believe Ivey is either. Seem like they will be good players but there also is a chance that we can add a couple of pieces in this draft with a trade down and get a starting quality player (Randle, RJ Barrett, OG?, Brogdon although I’m not a fan, etc) AND get a good 3 and D wing

The other option is just taking Murray and then having a deal in place involving Holmes and others bringing another wing back.

And then if one of the top 3 falls, take that guy

I don’t think Ivey is the pick at all but Monte will leverage what he can with smokescreens.

Exactly dude12. Imagine trading down and say landing Randle or Barrett but also getting Mathurin. WOW! Talk about a win for both Kings and Knicks as they are said to covet Ivey. But of course if we somehow get one of the Big 3 then it's really go giddy time in Sactown.

Although every time see something like this my head spins.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ers-and-fallers-in-updated-prospect-rankings/

Last edited:

Fair to say that Ivey will have interest. Up to Monte to leverage that to pin teams against each other if they want to move up. And even still, Monte has shown he doesn't give a flying F about team construction in the draft and takes who he thinks is BPA. So even if teams "think" he drafts Murray, there's still plenty of smoke that Monte won't let Ivey go if he's his BPA, but he "wants" Murray
I personally don't like the idea of Brogdon at all, beyond his reliability, that would involve other pieces obviously, probably take that max summer potential away, and if anyone thinks Fox/Ivey is a conflict, well, at like 70 million left on his deal? Too risky if they do have to rebuild and Brogdon as a PG takes the ball out of Fox's hand. That Spurs deal is interesting and for Griffin it might work, IF Griffin were there, and the Spurs were interested of course since they have Murray there already. It's easy to say trade down, but this might be a tough draft with few options if the Kings are tight on who they like draft wise.

Last edited:
Wonder if 7 + the Mil 25 or whatever they wound up getting for CJ + Josh Hart is worthwhile? Basically they wind up trading CJ & 7 for #4 at that point which is a pretty disappointing haul but they might be able to pursue Grant with their own future picks? I bet if they hadn't shored up their FO with the two new hires they'd do something like that out of desperation.
Who knows what the Blazers are even doing at this point, I mean, looking at their cap sheet they're obviously shooting for cap in the same summer as Sac. I don't know why they'd want to move up TBH if they are just looking to add talent and wait. Maybe though. If the Kings are set on Griffin/Murray/Mathurin two of them at least should be there. Maybe Sharpe could be there as well who knows.

Something that sticks in my mind from last season was the Kings record when Harkless started. Wasn’t it a better winning percentage than other lineups? And the point of me bringing this up is that if we added a better version or Harkless, actually added 2 of the 3 and D wings, I feel as though we significantly improve especially if Mike Brown has defensive pieces to work with.

Isn’t Murray a guy that fits the profile?
But, but it’s not like he’s a gotta have elite guy. I don’t believe Ivey is either. Seem like they will be good players but there also is a chance that we can add a couple of pieces in this draft with a trade down and get a starting quality player (Randle, RJ Barrett, OG?, Brogdon although I’m not a fan, etc) AND get a good 3 and D wing

The other option is just taking Murray and then having a deal in place involving Holmes and others bringing another wing back.

And then if one of the top 3 falls, take that guy

I don’t think Ivey is the pick at all but Monte will leverage what he can with smokescreens.
The 5 man net ratings have been pretty consistent for a few years now, the difference has been playing Barnes at PF and yes, Harkless was usually in those lineups next to him. The key was that Barnes played PF. If players like RJ/OG were offered you obviously do it but I don't think those are options. Randle/Brogdon are high cost gambles and lower in value right now. Brogdon was overrated at his best moments, can't stay healthy, and is far more PG than SG as the Pacers have figured out. I saw some mention on that Kings trade down piece of a TJ Warren sign and trade being involved, haha. When things get to that point you know making a deal could be tough. It's hard for two teams that just literally used eachother to balance their roster (Kings) or start a rebuild (Pacers) to again attempt to make a deal so soon after. You exhausted the sensible pieces in the last deal so then it becomes some complicated multi team deal to work in the money pieces.

Who knows what the Blazers are even doing at this point, I mean, looking at their cap sheet they're obviously shooting for cap in the same summer as Sac. I don't know why they'd want to move up TBH if they are just looking to add talent and wait. Maybe though. If the Kings are set on Griffin/Murray/Mathurin two of them at least should be there. Maybe Sharpe could be there as well who knows.
Blazers gotta sell the team too so Allen’s wife might be looking to save money and leaving with a bigger fortune. This is pretty high level chess and Monte can earn his paycheck if he can a big move.

Blazers gotta sell the team too so Allen’s wife might be looking to save money and leaving with a bigger fortune. This is pretty high level chess and Monte can earn his paycheck if he can a big move.
Oh, you're right, I forgot about that. So they probably want to be able to hand off a team with a nice young talent, Dame, and a bunch of space to go shopping with as a selling point. If the Kings could combine Hart/Griffin then that could be interesting. Not sure if I'm down with passing on the upside of an Ivey though. The Kings need to find a way to get some serious talent because if the Pels get Zion back then that window gets a lot tighter. 8th pick/Zion/Ingram/CJ. I'm not sure having a talent core of Fox/Domas is quite enough and fit be darned, if you can't match that talent the rest of the west is in trouble potentially. You are going to need serious fire power. Those top 4 look like the best bet to me.

Paul Allen never married and had no children. He was something of a recluse and his sister Jody named trustee of the Paul G. Allen Trust. But now and for some time this has been the writing on the wall concerning two major sports franchises owned - Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle Seahawks. https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2...nchises-both-likely-to-be-sold-within-a-year/

Blazers are said to be interested in Grant. I’m really curious how they plan to build around Dame at this stage of his career. Doesn’t seem like Grant/Lillard and change would be enough to make the playoffs. Certainly not enough to compete for something greater

Blazers are said to be interested in Grant. I’m really curious how they plan to build around Dame at this stage of his career. Doesn’t seem like Grant/Lillard and change would be enough to make the playoffs. Certainly not enough to compete for something greater
I think Dame is too loyal to request a trade so I think the Blazers should do him a service and ship him to a winner while he still has some productive years left in him

Saw this on B/R. I’d do it. I think OG is an ascending player
NBA Trades: 3 OG Anunoby trades for the Toronto Raptors – Sacramento Kings

Raptors receive: #4 Pick 2022 NBA Draft, Donte DiVincenzo

Kings receive: OG Anunoby, Svi Mykhailiuk, #33 Pick 2022 NBA Draft

Saw this on B/R. I’d do it. I think OG is an ascending player
NBA Trades: 3 OG Anunoby trades for the Toronto Raptors – Sacramento Kings

Raptors receive: #4 Pick 2022 NBA Draft, Donte DiVincenzo

Kings receive: OG Anunoby, Svi Mykhailiuk, #33 Pick 2022 NBA Draft
Look up OG’s stats from last year on NBA.com

I personally don't like the idea of Brogdon at all, beyond his reliability, that would involve other pieces obviously, probably take that max summer potential away, and if anyone thinks Fox/Ivey is a conflict, well, at like 70 million left on his deal? Too risky if they do have to rebuild and Brogdon as a PG takes the ball out of Fox's hand. That Spurs deal is interesting and for Griffin it might work, IF Griffin were there, and the Spurs were interested of course since they have Murray there already. It's easy to say trade down, but this might be a tough draft with few options if the Kings are tight on who they like draft wise.
Brog was incredible in MIL in an off-ball role, so it's not like there's no history of him filling that SG role. Yeah, he didn't click with Hali, but a mid-season trade amidst a season in which the Pacers were trying to actively suck as hard as they can and they "rested" him the entire last month of the season. His health is a potentially great argument, but what makes Brog very good is that if you have the buy-in, he can fit with just about any back-court mate. The defense, the shooting, the secondary playmaking.

I suppose the easy answer would be to ask what Sabonis thinks about him. If he's on board, has a good relationship with Brog, then that kills a few birds with one stone

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think they have the luxury of another off year if they want to keep Dame around. But they could also be looking to move him and have no big contracts on the books for the sale. That said, Phil gave a monster offer for a smaller market team, seems like it is just bad blood, pride or something in the way there.

The Donovan Mitchell trade rumors are in the wind, and with some justification because of a possible Utah blow up and their coach leaving. If they blow it up in Utah, I would imagine they'd like the #4 pick. Regardless, Donovan is the sort of player I'd like to see the Kings wangle in a trade - still on the young side and of a very high caliber.

The Donovan Mitchell trade rumors are in the wind, and with some justification because of a possible Utah blow up and their coach leaving. If they blow it up in Utah, I would imagine they'd like the #4 pick. Regardless, Donovan is the sort of player I'd like to see the Kings wangle in a trade - still on the young side and of a very high caliber.
UT just came out and said he is not being traded and they are building around him. Will see if that holds true

Agreed. Not a #1 and part of the reason Utah always sucks in the playoffs.
His playoff stats are very good and he has been the #1 for a while on the Jazz. And he’s still young. I get the defensive concerns - but Donovan is clearly better than any King. And apparently off the table, so I won’t bring him up again.

Brog was incredible in MIL in an off-ball role, so it's not like there's no history of him filling that SG role. Yeah, he didn't click with Hali, but a mid-season trade amidst a season in which the Pacers were trying to actively suck as hard as they can and they "rested" him the entire last month of the season. His health is a potentially great argument, but what makes Brog very good is that if you have the buy-in, he can fit with just about any back-court mate. The defense, the shooting, the secondary playmaking.

I suppose the easy answer would be to ask what Sabonis thinks about him. If he's on board, has a good relationship with Brog, then that kills a few birds with one stone
Brogdon was a off and on sixth man there though and got paid largely based on what he could do with an increased role and the ball. When you combine all the risks I still say taking upside at 4 and having max money next summer is a much better plan. If the Kings have to rebuild having to unload Fox/Brogdon could be tough. The Kings could have a perfect escape plan if they just play this straight. I would imagine if the Kings had any interest in Brogdon it would have been discussed at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.