The MMA thread

Cody Garbrant is literally the Arlvoski of the smaller weights, insane hand speed and power but that chin is glass. Also like Arlvoski looked insane until he won the title and now has lost or been KOed like 5 out of 6 fights. Hopefully for his health/sake he either retires or has a decent career resurgence like AA did, I'm not sure I have ever seen a fall like this in the UFC from a relatively youngish guy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Cody Garbrant is literally the Arlvoski of the smaller weights, insane hand speed and power but that chin is glass. Also like Arlvoski looked insane until he won the title and now has lost or been KOed like 5 out of 6 fights. Hopefully for his health/sake he either retires or has a decent career resurgence like AA did, I'm not sure I have ever seen a fall like this in the UFC from a relatively youngish guy.
Man, I thought he was next big thing level when he beat Cruz. Then Dillashaw broke him.

The President of imo a top 3 MMA organization ACA (Russian Org) came into the ring at the start of the 5th round to disqualify both fighters for being passive. The fight was no doubt insanely boring and props to him there is to many fights in MMA that go like this and need to be stopped.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I was seriously about to turn that one off a minute into the 5th round. Thought the writing was on the wall for Edwards.
So did commentary!

“He’s a broken fighter, you can tell because he’s not giving his corner any eye contact between rounds.”

“He looks content to take a moral victory by going to the deci- OHHHHHH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD!”

I have never seen a bigger backfire than on Din Thomas trying to act smart on commentary, lol he's not looking into his trainers eyes so that means it's over lol. He must not have recovered since Mayorga slapped him in the weigh-in for their cancelled MMA vs boxing bout.

You must be disregarding the prelims to make a statement like that but, even so... Chimaev at -550 over Holland isn't a mismatch?
What do you mean? When I say mismatch I mean in terms of size Tony and Nate are both 155ers who moved up (170) and Khamzat and Holland are both 185ers who cut down to 170 and DRod and the Leech are both roughly similar 170's (granted D-Rod came in 10 pounds heavier).

In terms of styles make fights yeah Holland and Chimaev is a mismatch but Holland has way better striking and can catch him. I would say right now Holland is a better fighter than Nate overall and is much bigger/more athletic as well. The match up's turned out how they should have been from the start.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I mean that, on the prelim card, there are three other fights where one fighter is a -400 or larger betting favorite against their opponent, which happens to qualify as a mismatch to me. I didn't realize that you were narrowing your use of "mismatch" to physical size. I didn't even consider the possibility that, in a sport that has weight classes, someone would even find such a definition to be useful.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, that was the opposite of the result I wanted, but it's probably the result that the PFL had to have. I don't know where they could have gone from their only draw beating her only competition for a third straight time.

Apropos of nothing, why does it suddenly seem like Twitter is full of people who've had Kayla Harrison hot takes sitting in Drafts for three years, just waiting to click on "Send"?

Jones showed the level of the HW divison it's insanely poor other than maybe a lucky punch from Sergei Pavlovich he mauls everyone in that division with similar ease. I don't even get the Stipe fight, Stipe is done and even in his prime would have nothing for Jones. Jones is the GOAT by a wide margin.

I think Shavkat Rakmanov will easily smash Leon Edwards (assuming he's still champ), Neal imo stylewise is his toughest matchup due to excellent boxing/heavy hands but Shavkat showed a elite chin he's been way more impressive in who/how he's won than Khamazat he imo lost to Gilbert Burns.

Gane was exposed badly on the ground. A UFC fighter should not be able to get choked out in that position.
I think he cracked in the moment rather than not knowing what to do, huge pressure facing the GOAT and he wilted. Reminded me a lot of when McGregor came back to fight Donald Cerrone (to be fair Donald was way past his prime unline Gane) and Donald literally just let Conor beat him up in the opening minutes.

Man I swear the refs are so beyond awful.. They let fighters who are already defeated stand there n take all sorts of unecessary punishment or else the fans dont feel they get their moneys worth...

I'll never complain about the refs in basketball cuz of the stuff that goes on in MMA and boxing(dont even get me started on how crooked the scoring is, especially on the undercards when its some random vs someone the promoters got under his thumb)..

Some guy will be knocked out on his feet and the refs wait for the other guy to come in and throw 5 more punches to finish him off n let the body hit the floor for the fans.. Its still the same after all these years..

UFC would be so much better if they stopped the fights when the competitive portion of the contest was decided, not like 30 seconds aftrer that fact, I see some of this stuff n think "well at least the fans got what they wanted, blood"

Man I swear the refs are so beyond awful.. They let fighters who are already defeated stand there n take all sorts of unecessary punishment or else the fans dont feel they get their moneys worth...

I'll never complain about the refs in basketball cuz of the stuff that goes on in MMA and boxing(dont even get me started on how crooked the scoring is, especially on the undercards when its some random vs someone the promoters got under his thumb)..

Some guy will be knocked out on his feet and the refs wait for the other guy to come in and throw 5 more punches to finish him off n let the body hit the floor for the fans.. Its still the same after all these years..

UFC would be so much better if they stopped the fights when the competitive portion of the contest was decided, not like 30 seconds aftrer that fact, I see some of this stuff n think "well at least the fans got what they wanted, blood"
The thing is when the refs do stop the fight )e.g Pavlovich vs Lewis or Volkov vs Rozenstruik_early while the fighter is badly hurt the MMA community go ballistic (let him go out like a warrior and crap like that), because of that most refs now back off and let a fighter get the crap kicked out of them. UFC 290 was a amazing card DDP smashing Rob Whitaker was not something I predicted.