Marvin Bagley will ball out next season!

Divorce is a good word. Sometimes a relationship or partnership just doesn't work out. It doesn't necessarily mean that one party in particular is responsible. If Marvin is traded or released and goes on to be an all star I will be happy for him because its obvious it isn't working in Sac. I still would love to see him go to Houston for one of their late first round picks. That is a risk worth taking for the Rockets and it gives us another crack at say Neemias Queta or Herb Jones.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Divorce is a good word. Sometimes a relationship or partnership just doesn't work out. It doesn't necessarily mean that one party in particular is responsible. If Marvin is traded or released and goes on to be an all star I will be happy for him because its obvious it isn't working in Sac. I still would love to see him go to Houston for one of their late first round picks. That is a risk worth taking for the Rockets and it gives us another crack at say Neemias Queta or Herb Jones.
If he gets a redemption arc without at least trying to be kind to Sacramento I hope he at least has to endure a half season like IT did in Phoenix before he gets there.

There's another guy who learned the grass isn't greener. He got completely burned by Boston and I feel bad for him, but he also thought Sacramento was too tough on him.

Just look at Giles. He is no where near as good as fox or haliburton. His stats don’t compare to bagley. But he showed his love for the city and the team and in return gets love. We look past his flaws and put him on a pedestal because we feel he did the same to the city.
As fans we gotta be less nice it’s as simple as that

If he gets a redemption arc without at least trying to be kind to Sacramento I hope he at least has to endure a half season like IT did in Phoenix before he gets there.

There's another guy who learned the grass isn't greener. He got completely burned by Boston and I feel bad for him, but he also thought Sacramento was too tough on him.
I just remind myself he is a really young human being. He hasn’t lived up to expectations and I bet he has a lot of pressure at home. Sometimes we don’t have the maturity to handle adversity especially at a younger age.

Last edited:
Seeing Giannis dominate the NBA as a big man, makes we want to hang on to Bagley and see what we have, instead of trying to move him this off season.

We have nothing to lose, if we keep Bagley, since his value is really low right now. I hope Monte sticks it out with Bagley this year and see if he can fulfill some of that immense promise he had coming out of college as a Sacramento King.

Last edited:
Seeing Giannis dominate the NBA as a big man, makes we want to hang on to Bagley and see what we have, instead of trying to move him this off season.

We have nothing to lose, if we keep Bagley, since his value is really low right now. I hope Monte sticks it out with Bagley this year and see if can fulfill some of that immense promise he had coming out of college as a King.
I wish bagley would become our giannis too, but giannis seems like a very likable guy that loves the city that drafted him and played like a superstar after hyperextending his knee and looking like he’d miss the rest of the playoffs. Bagley on the other hand…

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Bagley pity the fool who play through injury!

Really though, if we can't get a fair return on him I would like to just see what he can do next year and hopefully retain him on a cheaper deal at which point we can trade him when he finally plays like he wants out of Sac. Although if everything else fails I would love to see him in a tough market.

We have nothing to lose, if we keep Bagley, since his value is really low right now. I hope Monte sticks it out with Bagley this year and see if he can fulfill some of that immense promise he had coming out of college as a Sacramento King.
Oh wow. Bagley and Giannis don’t belong in the same sentence.

What we have to lose is that we continue to kick the decision can down the road. If he's just injured again, you lose out on any small return you could have gotten. What do you do if he plays really well, but then gets injured midseason? Do you make a QO? What do you do if he plays really well and doesn't get injured? Do you match any big contract knowing the guy hasn't always wanted to be here? If you move him now, you lose the potential upside, but you also cut your losses and remove one inconsistent variable out of the equation. Overall, I'd say it doesnt make sense to just give him away for nothing now, but let's not pretend that we have nothing to lose by keeping him.

all this talk of Bagley’ what could be. I was fine when we drafted him but at this stage im hoping OKC thinks he’s worth one of their mid round first and we trade him and draft Garuba. I won’t look back and wish him and his moron dad well in steer country.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Oh wow. Bagley and Giannis don’t belong in the same sentence.
Here are career per-36 numbers for two players at the same age when they each had three years of NBA experience. One of these players went on to become a 2x NBA MVP and NBA Finals MVP. The other player is currently on the Kings. Which is which?

Player A:

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.41.45 PM.png

Player B:

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.41.59 PM.png

Here are career per-36 numbers for two players at the same age when they each had three years of NBA experience. One of these players went on to become a 2x NBA MVP and NBA Finals MVP. The other player is currently on the Kings. Which is which?

Player A:

View attachment 10600

Player B:

View attachment 10599
Thats kind of fun, regardless i’m tired of the dialogue and ready to move on from Bagley.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
What we have to lose is that we continue to kick the decision can down the road. If he's just injured again, you lose out on any small return you could have gotten. What do you do if he plays really well, but then gets injured midseason? Do you make a QO? What do you do if he plays really well and doesn't get injured? Do you match any big contract knowing the guy hasn't always wanted to be here? If you move him now, you lose the potential upside, but you also cut your losses and remove one inconsistent variable out of the equation. Overall, I'd say it doesnt make sense to just give him away for nothing now, but let's not pretend that we have nothing to lose by keeping him.
People are saying we'd be lucky to get a second for him now (I'm not sure how true that is), if that were the case we have nothing to lose keeping him around.

If he can be part of a Simmons deal, I'll fly down and pack his bags. And I think at this stage, I'd probably let him go for OKC's 16 and 18 OR a top 10 pick. But anything less than that, I think we should keep him here.

Player A:

View attachment 10600

Player B:

View attachment 10599

Yeah I mean we can do that for lots of players that don’t pan out. Giannis was staying healthy and playing games, not constantly injured. Giannis also showed flashes and was considered a point forward in his early career. So without checking I will say the player with 3.5 assists is Giannis. Because when Marvin gets the ball, he is a black hole.

Thats kind of fun, regardless i’m tired of the dialogue and ready to move on from Bagley.
Absolutely agree. Everyone can see the differences between him and others in the league. It is time to move on and to accept that we have some sunk costs here - if we get something in return for him which may can be valuable okay. If not also okay (as there is nothing we could do).

Player A:

View attachment 10600

Player B:

View attachment 10599
I could tell you if you included the Games Played column :p Season averages are to Bagley like per 36s are to this season's Udonis Haslem (had to look this one up for a good example)

Yeah I mean we can do that for lots of players that don’t pan out. Giannis was staying healthy and playing games, not constantly injured. Giannis also showed flashes and was considered a point forward in his early career. So without checking I will say the player with 3.5 assists is Giannis. Because when Marvin gets the ball, he is a black hole.
But Giannis doesn't have Bagleys second jump speed!

giannis became extremely strong and has excellent work ethic. Bagley isn’t even close to his work ethic nor does he have his motor.

Here are 3 first seasons stats for two players at the same age. One of these players went on to become a 2x NBA MVP and NBA Finals MVP. The other player is currently on the Kings. Which is which?

Player A :
Capture1.JPG

Player B :
Capture2.JPG

Here are 3 first seasons stats for two players at the same age. One of these players went on to become a 2x NBA MVP and NBA Finals MVP. The other player is currently on the Kings. Which is which?

Player A :
View attachment 10604

Player B :
View attachment 10605
This one is easy. The second player came from poverty and made huge leaps every year, stayed healthy, and showed rare passing skills for his size.

The first player was groomed for the NBA since childhood, from a top college program. Some improvements in outside shooting, but canceled out by a regression in FT rate and percentage.

No comparison, and nowhere close to the same type of player.

Stats without context can be a magical thing. There are probably hundreds of players that had stats that look like Giannis the first few years of their career. None of them turned out to be a two time MVPs, NBA Champion. If the point is to not give up on a player too early, OK, but still by year 3 Giannis was already the "Greek Freak" and had obvious out of this world potential.