Robert Woodard(G- league)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was +5 while on the floor.
Ramsey has also always been streaky. He doesn't have a great first step or handle and has struggled to finish inside. Basically, his shots have to be falling to unlock his offensive game. But he's also a kid who can get hot and score in bunches.

I think having a good scoring game in the G League would be a big boost to his confidence.

and each of these guys has their own unique attributes that make them incredibly intriguing long term prospects with DQJ capable of defending guards in addition to stretch 4s and wings and Woodard having the physical measurables of a freak..
I love that we have two guys like this. In today's NBA, that's not one too many. But I don't see Jeffries and Woodard as being all that unique in comparison with each other. Woodard may be 2" taller, but both are really strong, athletic, huge wingspans, big potential as 3 position defenders, and capable scorers. But we all know that Luke is going to give the minutes to Barnes first and Robinson second. As Luke himself has said, they'll get their chances. Hopefully they'll both make the most of it and the Kings will be better for it next year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love that we have two guys like this. In today's NBA, that's not one too many. But I don't see Jeffries and Woodard as being all that unique in comparison with each other. Woodard may be 2" taller, but both are really strong, athletic, huge wingspans, big potential as 3 position defenders, and capable scorers. But we all know that Luke is going to give the minutes to Barnes first and Robinson second. As Luke himself has said, they'll get their chances. Hopefully they'll both make the most of it and the Kings will be better for it next year.
I think we'll see DQJ guarding 2s & 3s and Woodard spend most of his time guarding 4's.

He has a lot of different looks on offense these first 2 games. In the 1st game he had a lot of dunks, 1 three & a couple of nice scores in the post. In the 2nd game, he showed his ability to drive to the basket (making a couple acrobatic plays) while also showing off a solid mid-range jump shot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Woodard had 13pts (6/14 fg), 10rbs, 3blks & a stl in 31 mins.
All the scoring adjacent stuff is looking good for a guy who projects to be a supporting player within a guard dominant system. Hasn't really shown to much as a catch and shoot guy but that's also not really his role on this Austin, where he's really playing almost exclusively as a Power Forward.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
okay so if Woodard’s handles are consistently this good and he keeps working on his perimeter shot, the kings are cooking with fire. 6’8/6’9” dudes with ridiculously long arms who lead their team in all the weight lifting records who can move with the ball like that aren’t just rare, they’re stars.

And as impressive as that stuff has been, his general defense has been even more impressive.

It’s revolting that Walton could find absolutely no way to get him minutes on this Kings team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Woodard is like a taller version of Jeffries. You can't have too many of them. They win games for you. Despite everything, the future is looking a bit brighter.
Predraft DQJ measured out at 6'4" tall barefoot, with a 6'11.25" wingspan and weighed 215 lbs with the lowest body fat of any player at the combine (3.9%)

RW2 measured out at 6'5.5" barefoot with a 7'2" wingspan and was 230lbs.

Both have the makings of very solid 3&D guys and Woodard also looks like his rebounding will carry over which is a great thing for this Kings team.

Man, the sheer modern NBA spacing/defensive potential of a Bagley/Woodard/DQJ/Haliburton/Fox unit is insane. We'll never see it with Luke as coach but that is a 7 seconds or less run and gun offensive fit if I've ever seen one with the length and size to compete HARD defensively.
I'd love, LOVE to see that lineup, even for short stretches but I agree that it's unlikely this season with Walton as coach unless the Kings fall completely out of contention and/or McNair trades away some of the vets at the deadline.

But this season has shown me that Buddy's best fit with the Kings is either as a sixth man or on another team. The core pieces look to be Fox, Haliburton, and *maybe* Bagley.

Which means the Kings ideally pick up one more stud in the draft (Cunningham, Kuminga, Williams, maybe Barnes or Jalen Johnson) and surround them with 3&D guys. That makes Jeffries and Woodard perfect fits.

The G-League will be done in less than a month, so they might as well let Woodard play it out. Hopefully, he can get an opportunity to crack the rotation after that.
Depends on how long Barnes is out. Woodard is likely to get opportunities when Barnes is out, and little or no opportunities when Barnes is eating up the minutes.
If Barnes get healthy quick, then I agree. Let him get the full G league experience.
Look how easy it was to let Jeffries play when Barnes went out, and especially when GRIII went out. It didn’t take long to earn the coach’s trust. Same happened to JJ last year (until he developed a nagging knee problem). I’m so done with wins and losses and the hopes of becoming 1st round fodder for another team that’s going to the semi finals. I want to see all our young guys get lots of opportunities to develop into something of real value.
F tanking and F playing vets to squeeze out 3 more wins.

All the scoring adjacent stuff is looking good for a guy who projects to be a supporting player within a guard dominant system. Hasn't really shown to much as a catch and shoot guy but that's also not really his role on this Austin, where he's really playing almost exclusively as a Power Forward.
He always looked like stretch 4 was his calling.