TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Ok, got up early as usual before teaching zoom and watched WandaVision. Had reservations going in based on the previews and “what the hell is going on” vibe it gave me.

After seeing the 2 episodes, they seemingly have nailed it. Still not sure what is going on exactly other than something is going on but it is exactly....don’t know other than some very cryptic clues.

And they nailed the early childhood tv sitcoms that I had watched down to the look and dialogue. Excited to see where this goes.
I'm *almost* here. We watched the 2 episodes and the humor is just a bit...lacking. I like the little inside jokes, but my wife (not a huge Marvel fan overall) is giving up on it. If they want to capture the non-current Marvel fans, they aren't quite hitting that mark to make it entertaining enough to suck those folks in.

I have a friend (huge Marvel fan, like me) who texted that he gave up watching after the first 10 minutes.

I'm interested to see where it goes, but they need to do just a bit better, especially for the non-"die hard" fans if they want to expand the audience.

I have to admit I’m fairly captivated by WandaVision and thankful that they’re leveraging the MCU’s goodwill to push the boundaries a bit. Curious to hear anyone’s theories on what might be going on.

I’m assuming two things to be true, but maybe unfairly:
1. This takes place after Endgame, so Vision is dead dead.
2. They’re staying somewhat true to the more common version of Wanda/Scarlet Witch from the comics, namely: daughter of Magneto, not entirely stable emotionally, and extremely powerful (time/space/mind/probability/reality manipulation...which has barely been scratched in the films)...a volatile combo.

So...Wanda is so grief-stricken over Vision’s death that she’s had a bit of a psychotic break and has constructed a world in her mind relying on the idyllic Americana TV tropes that comforted her during a rough childhood in order to cope. Due to the strength of her powers however, this mental state is manifesting in the real world, consuming physical space and trapping actual people.

The people on the outside are not nefarious, they’re trying to safely contain, maintain, and pull Wanda out of it by sending in messages/messengers, causing rifts in the charade that Wanda was initially confused by but is growing increasingly hostile towards.

What the show might mean from a MCU content strategy perspective:
1. A way to bring Vision back from the dead.
2. A way to fast-track the Young Avengers into films or another show, which would probably be huge for Disney given their younger demographic. I was pretty shocked when Wanda actually gave birth to twins in the last episode (on a literal accelerated timeline no less), who eventually grow up to be Speed and Wiccan.
3. A way to bring Magneto into the world. This is probably a huge stretch, but the one I’m most excited about. I could see them wanting to make a big splash with their first series (ala a Baby Yoda type reveal), and narratively it fits in well with my theory as he could be introduced as a savior when Wanda becomes too unstable and containment is failing. The biggest flaw here is that she doesn‘t yet know Magneto is her father in the MCU, so using paternal influence to effectively talk Wanda down at this stage would be a tough sell, even for Marvel writers.

Anyway. That’s where I’m at.

I have to admit I’m fairly captivated by WandaVision and thankful that they’re leveraging the MCU’s goodwill to push the boundaries a bit. Curious to hear anyone’s theories on what might be going on.

2. They’re staying somewhat true to the more common version of Wanda/Scarlet Witch from the comics, namely: daughter of Magneto, not entirely stable emotionally, and extremely powerful (time/space/mind/probability/reality manipulation...which has barely been scratched in the films)...a volatile combo.

So...Wanda is so grief-stricken over Vision’s death that she’s had a bit of a psychotic break and has constructed a world in her mind relying on the idyllic Americana TV tropes that comforted her during a rough childhood in order to cope. Due to the strength of her powers however, this mental state is manifesting in the real world, consuming physical space and trapping actual people.

The people on the outside are not nefarious, they’re trying to safely contain, maintain, and pull Wanda out of it by sending in messages/messengers, causing rifts in the charade that Wanda was initially confused by but is growing increasingly hostile towards.

2. A way to fast-track the Young Avengers into films or another show, which would probably be huge for Disney given their younger demographic. I was pretty shocked when Wanda actually gave birth to twins in the last episode (on a literal accelerated timeline no less), who eventually grow up to be Speed and Wiccan.
3. A way to bring Magneto into the world. This is probably a huge stretch, but the one I’m most excited about. I could see them wanting to make a big splash with their first series (ala a Baby Yoda type reveal), and narratively it fits in well with my theory as he could be introduced as a savior when Wanda becomes too unstable and containment is failing. The biggest flaw here is that she doesn‘t yet know Magneto is her father in the MCU, so using paternal influence to effectively talk Wanda down at this stage would be a tough sell, even for Marvel writers.

Yes on 1
Number 2 is very in depth but I like the whole explanation. I’m not up to date on the comics so it’s all new to me and I’ve had to research a little
I like the show quite a bit actually. The momentum is building.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

WRT your #3, I don't expect that to happen, BUT:

This series is supposed to be a direct tie-in with the next Doctor Strange movie, which is expected to heavily involve the multiverse... That provides them with an easy way to introduce the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and any and all other properties that Marvel has recently re-acquired the cinematic rights to. My personal preference is that they don't make any more X-Men movies... like, at all, simply because I think that the X-Men, as a property, work best in a serialized storytelling format. But, anything that Feige has his hand in has earned benefit of the doubt, from me, so we'll see how it plays out.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Mr. Mayor is your typically hilarious Tina Fey Robert Carlock joke factory but the Sacramento they go to in one of the episodes is the least Sacramento-ey Sacramento ever committed to film.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I decided to go ahead and declare the last rankings I posted in 2020 to be my final official rankings for 2019-20. Here are my first official rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2020-21 season*, as of January 31, 2021:

1. WWE Friday Night Smackdown
  2. MacGyver
  3. Cari and Jemele Won't Stick to Sports
  4. S.W.A.T.
  5. Batwoman
  6. WWE NXT
  7. Star Trek: Discovery (CBS OTA Season 1 replay)
  8. This is Us
  9. NCIS: Los Angeles
  10. AEW Dynamite

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Slim pickings, in these trying times. Hopefully, with the CW superhero shows coming back in February, things will start to pick up. List would look a lot different if I included streaming-exclusive shows, but that would establish a precedent for this list, that I don't actually want to be established.

Finally saw Watchmen.

To preface, I enjoyed it. Overall, good expansion of the universe, natural continuation of the overarching narrative, and solid story in its own right. I've placed it on my shelf of honor nestled neatly between my Ultimate Cut copy of the film, and the theatrical version I actually prefer.

However, had I not already been exceedingly well-versed with the comic (and of lesser importance, the movie), I doubt I would have made it past the first two episodes. The world of Watchmen is challenging enough (especially to explain to newcomers), without catapulting viewers into the middle of the very real Tulsa Race Massacre, then teleporting 100 years into a seemingly non-sequitur alternate future where cops wear outlandish masks, Robert Redford is a 7th term president, Vietnam is the 51st state, and squid occasionally rain from the sky.

For my part, I understood why all of those and many more oddities could be things within the Watchmen universe, but was struggling to decipher the connections and context to the story at hand. I'm aware it's the Lost "What's in the Hatch" treatment, and basking in the mystery is supposed to be the experience. But I felt more as though I'd been para-dropped into a friend of a friend's birthday party, and was scrambling to figure out how exactly everyone knew each other.

And for my wife's part, she was still asking me what a "rorschachs" was. It was about that time the scenes abruptly shifted to a seemingly random old man in the English countryside picking tomatoes from a tree and cutting a cake with a horseshoe.

Fortunately, at the start of episode three, Silk Spectre II swoops in with a literal power point presentation to get us up to speed, and then we were golden.

I admire the mini-series for its ambition. Looking Glass and Lady Trieu are especially welcomed additions. And the, I guess "soft" retconned origin of Hooded Justice (because his is really the most left open for interpretation) is a bold and exciting move, even if it might buckle from a purist perspective. Plus all the returning characters are awesome.

Although, I feel somehow the theatrics and inherent ridiculousness of the superhero genre outpaces the serious weight of the narrative its trying to weave in a way that the comic didn't suffer. And I wish other minor characters like Red Scare, Pirate Jenny, Glass's Ex, and even Crawford, Keene, and the entire Seventh Kavalry had more development beyond foils and ascended extras, the way the comic made you care about the whole universe, no matter how limited the facetime. But in all, I liked it.

Now let's wait patiently for the second season.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Last edited:
Finished the latest season of The Expanse. Terrific. Very Empire Strikes Back-y.

And about that WandaVision...o_O

Sooooo yeah. It’s clear now, given the events of the series and learning that the next Dr. Strange involves the multiverse with Wanda playing a big part, that they’re fully embracing some version of the House of M comics. It would seem very difficult to do that storyline without introducing the X-Men/Brotherhood of Mutants, but I had started convincing myself they would figure out a way to do it, them BAM. Not only a member of the X-Men, but one from the actual Fox movies. Those movies with the new class definitely had quickly diminishing returns after the excellent First Class, but I will absolutely lose my mind if I get Fassbender Magneto in the MCU. Far and away my favorite part of those films.

Also, this means we’re getting the version of Scarlet Witch that is one of, if not the most, powerful character in the MCU...which is exciting. Loved her scene threatening SWORD. It could also mean things might get real REAL dark...but I struggle imagining Feige and team having the stomach for it.

Finished the latest season of The Expanse. Terrific. Very Empire Strikes Back-y.

Sooooo yeah. It’s clear now, given the events of the series and learning that the next Dr. Strange involves the multiverse with Wanda playing a big part, that they’re fully embracing some version of the House of M comics. It would seem very difficult to do that storyline without introducing the X-Men/Brotherhood of Mutants, but I had started convincing myself they would figure out a way to do it, them BAM. Not only a member of the X-Men, but one from the actual Fox movies. Those movies with the new class definitely had quickly diminishing returns after the excellent First Class, but I will absolutely lose my mind if I get Fassbender Magneto in the MCU. Far and away my favorite part of those films.

Also, this means we’re getting the version of Scarlet Witch that is one of, if not the most, powerful character in the MCU...which is exciting. Loved her scene threatening SWORD. It could also mean things might get real REAL dark...but I struggle imagining Feige and team having the stomach for it.
I had to rewind What happened to Alex in The Expanse......then googled what happened in real life. It was odd but I guess no other choice

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

Just got caught up with both of these tonight. I was a little "meh" on WandaVision after the first couple episodes, but now that it is rounding into form I'm super digging it. And agreed on The Expanse. That's a very good show.

Twitter’s speculating that the aerospace engineer Monica is going to see is going to be someone significant, with most thinking Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic. That seems almost too significant to me. Other possibilities being Hank McCoy/Beast or Adam Brashear/Blue Marvel. My money would be on Blue Marvel, since they could use what’s happening to Monica as his origin story as well. Also, that would give us 4 of 5 Ultimates in the MCU, and America Chavez would make for some solid representation.

But honestly, it’ll probably be some nobody.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There's no chance that it'll be Richards, and McCoy isn't an engineer, anyway. My money is also on Brashear. Not only that but, IIRC, they've already cast America Chavez, for future MCU projects, so Brashear is the smart play.

Also, when's the last time that Marvel Studios foreshadowed an appearance, that turned out to be "nobody"?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There's no chance that it'll be Richards, and McCoy isn't an engineer, anyway. My money is also on Brashear. Not only that but, IIRC, they've already cast America Chavez, for future MCU projects, so Brashear is the smart play.

Also, when's the last time that Marvel Studios foreshadowed an appearance, that turned out to be "nobody"?
I mean if this series is Marvel consolidating its various different franchise worlds into one regardless of where things were in recent media,
it could be FitzSimmons from Agents of SHIELD

Can someone point me to how to use spoilers? I got questions or comments on WandaVision but can’t figure out the spoilers useage......unless it doesn’t work so well using my ipad

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can someone point me to how to use spoilers? I got questions or comments on WandaVision but can’t figure out the spoilers useage......unless it doesn’t work so well using my ipad
There's a dropdown in the toolbar at thetop of the post with "...", the spoiler tag is in there.

Or you can type it out: {SPOILER="Spoiler Label"} Text here {/SPOILER} but use square brackets instead of braces.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Step 1: Type out the text that you want spoiled, and highlight it:

Step 1.png

Step 2: Locate the "Insert" button, and click on it, to enable the drop down menu:

Step 2.png

Step 3: Locate and select the option that says, "Spoiler":

Step 3.png

Step 4: Enter the subject that is being spoiled (optional), or leave the field blank, and then click "Continue":

Step 4.png

EDIT - Okay, so I see that I got ninja'd by @Capt. Factorial, because I'm extra. Oh well... Y'all know that I'm not really about that "succinct" life.