Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 3 wins in a row, this thread goes deathly quiet.
Yes. The team continuing to win would change the equation. We expect progress from the players but what if the coach learns and grows?

I have admitted I have a bias against him, that bias doesn't make me necessarily right. If he succeeds and the team succeeds, screw that bias and I would just have to suck it up.

Yeah, Monte missed his window for a smooth turnover. Now if it goes south again it gets a little dirtier. But again, Walton did change some things up recently. Was it his idea or suggestion? I'd like to believe this is the new leaf turning over but we've seen Walton do this before multiple times already only to go stumbling back to the starting point again.

Prior to the season I expected the Kings to finish in the bottom third of the league and I was ok with that if it meant we could acquire a franchise level player in the draft.

6-7 games in I adjusted my position. The kings were playing good defense, Barnes was the player he was drafted to be, Fox had taken a step and we had our super rookie. I said I could root for this team to win because I was entertained! That’s the point as a fan, no?

At this point, we are too talented to be bottom 5 and more than likely not talented enough to make the playoffs. Tough position to be in but I guess we will have to see how it plays out. Monte will have major decisions to make at the deadline.

As far as Walton, we really don’t know what his relationship with Monte is like. At this rate, we won’t find out until after the season.

Yes. The team continuing to win would change the equation. We expect progress from the players but what if the coach learns and grows?

I have admitted I have a bias against him, that bias doesn't make me necessarily right. If he succeeds and the team succeeds, screw that bias and I would just have to suck it up.
I don't give a crap if Luke Walton or Ronald McDonald coaches the team as long as the players are used effectively. It was up to Luke to adjust and in the last game at least we saw some of that. But again, we've seen it before only to be left disappointed when it all randomly goes right back out the window. The reality that coaches caught on both sides of transition simply do not last long term hangs overhead.

Prior to the season I expected the Kings to finish in the bottom third of the league and I was ok with that if it meant we could acquire a franchise level player in the draft.

6-7 games in I adjusted my position. The kings were playing good defense, Barnes was the player he was drafted to be, Fox had taken a step and we had our super rookie. I said I could root for this team to win because I was entertained! That’s the point as a fan, no?

At this point, we are too talented to be bottom 5 and more than likely not talented enough to make the playoffs. Tough position to be in but I guess we will have to see how it plays out. Monte will have major decisions to make at the deadline.

As far as Walton, we really don’t know what his relationship with Monte is like. At this rate, we won’t find out until after the season.
Exactly, however I do think they can make the playoffs and be a serious threat in terms of pure talent. This team has acquired talent over the last few seasons that they probably shouldn't have been able to the way they went about things. People can say Luka all they want but the Kings still landed a number 2 pick when they shouldn't have. A ready out of the box Haliburton dropped to 12 when he shouldn't have. Those things make a difference. To me, the misuse of Buddy under Walton is egregious enough. When used properly you can clearly see he's difference maker. The reality always was that this team is too talented to bank on a top pick and I've brought up the fact that we've seen Waltons MO. He'll do everything in his power to clean up a mess on the back end. He did it in the bubble when it literally didn't mean anything.

Exactly, however I do think they can make the playoffs and be a serious threat in terms of pure talent. This team has acquired talent over the last few seasons that they probably shouldn't have been able to the way they went about things. People can say Luka all they want but the Kings still landed a number 2 pick when they shouldn't have. A ready out of the box Haliburton dropped to 12 when he shouldn't have. Those things make a difference. To me, the misuse of Buddy under Walton is egregious enough. When used properly you can clearly see he's difference maker. The reality always was that this team is too talented to bank on a top pick and I've brought up the fact that we've seen Waltons MO. He'll do everything in his power to clean up a mess on the back end. He did it in the bubble when it literally didn't mean anything.
If we end up out of the top 7-8 position draft wise, I will be rooting for the team to make the playoffs. We will need to make big moves in the offseason if that’s the case however. One of our resident draft gurus Bajaden believes there is star talent at the back end of the first round. We better hope Monte can find it.

credit where it’s due the kings looked great last night, good communication on defense and some great creative play calling that the raptors had no answer to. But a 3 game feel-good win streak doesn’t undo the years of evidence that Luke is a bad coach. During which Luke has shown the ability to get the team gelling and playing well (like the start of the season and now) but it always falls apart which is indicative of an inability to make adjustments fast enough to keep up with other nba coaches and difficulty maintaining buy-in and effort over more extended periods of time

credit where it’s due the kings looked great last night, good communication on defense and some great creative play calling that the raptors had no answer to. But a 3 game feel-good win streak doesn’t undo the years of evidence that Luke is a bad coach. During which Luke has shown the ability to get the team gelling and playing well (like the start of the season and now) but it always falls apart which is indicative of an inability to make adjustments fast enough to keep up with other nba coaches and difficulty maintaining buy-in and effort over more extended periods of time
Blah blah blah 9-11. One point from being .500.

DA certainly LOOKS like he is either travelling or carrying (thanks for the link)

but i guess not

however, that "1 point" may be important (miami game)

richaun holmes (and his mom) is trying to defy the odds - to become a starter and important cog despite second round (draft) status and two teams who did not see his potential.

and yet, when his moment comes, the moment we all fantasized about in the back yard, with the clock ticking down and your shot determines either a win or a loss, he either has his shot blocked (or so the announcers say) or he alligator-armed the shot - i can't tell (but it is good defense).

https://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0022000301&eventNum=2130

going back to the raptors' game, additionally, although i don't have a stopwatch, using the "one one thousand" technique, i don't see that the ball is inbounded before 5 seconds counts off here (but 2 minute report does not address that).

https://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0022000292&eventNum=2204

there has been a lot of griping about the referees, but honestly, i can't tell for sure what is what on either of these plays using "pause" and viewing it many times -how do the refs get it right (or wrong) with no help and in real time?

(however, back to miami game, they did make the wrong call on robinson's corner shot - 2 minute ref review says fox fouled him, so, it probably should not have even come down to holmes' final shot - robinson should have gotten three shots, so, despite much complaining about fouls in that game, the kings got the - wrong - call when it mattered most.).

https://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/?gameNo=0022000301&eventNum=2128

who's father might this be?

1612295785797.png

1612295699381.png

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The magic game was exactly the reason why I think he needs to be fired. There was no game plan against Vuc; players kept going over on MCW, etc. It was like Walton had no idea who the Kings played against.
The defense on MCW was infuriating. At least Vuc is an All-Star level player, so he can get his (doesn’t excuse the awful scheme though.)

... but Micheal Carter-Williams?! You have to be kidding me.

The magic game was exactly the reason why I think he needs to be fired. There was no game plan against Vuc; players kept going over on MCW, etc. It was like Walton had no idea who the Kings played against.
We'd honestly be just fine without Walton. We've seen now that this team is driven by Fox. Another coach coming in even mid season would be just fine. I'd even take a chance on a current assistant.

Walton isn't really the catalyst for anything nor does he need to be, but if Fox is there and he keeps simply letting him be the coach on the floor while also finally sticking his favorite underachieving role guys in Cojo and GR3 on the bench then he's got a shot. Now that DaQuan is back he better be a consistent part of this team continuing to play smaller and be more aggressive defensively. If not, then Walton clearly has NO idea what he's doing and he's playing favorites to the detriment of the team.

Seriously, what has Luke Walton done except being the coach of a team where De’Aaron Fox went supernova for a few weeks? Is there actually anything there at all besides the players liking him?
Maybe turning buddy into the so called all around player with a 37 FG% is one of them.

btw, i would take take Joerger’s version of buddy than Walton’s version in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.