Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
If taking the job required taking Walton for the year, that’s a bitter pill to swallow. With how quickly it was announced that Walton was staying, it would not shock me in the least.
Then this organization is doomed because the power is indeed coming from a different source. Until that's cleaned up, then this purgatory continues regardless of whatever underneath moves they make.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Getting so good that you can win in spite of terrible coaching is only viable when you're literally the winningest team in NBA history or have Lebron on your roster.*

*Luke proved that one wrong.
not to show too much sympathy for Luke, but the Lakers second best player behind Bron in Luke's last year was probably a Rondo that was already in the league for 12 seasons

Luke is the perfect coach to net us a high draft pick. He’s playing the right guys minutes for our long term goals (even CoJo for a deadline trade). This version of the Kings is just soft.

Then this organization is doomed because the power is indeed coming from a different source. Until that's cleaned up, then this purgatory continues regardless of whatever underneath moves they make.
Yes and no, no and yes. If that was the condition for employment with the condition for this year then that was a condition of employment. If it was to give him a chance and removal is being prevented by an advisor's interference then this team and it’s fans are screwed. That would mean Vivek has learned nothing. But I am guessing and know nothing.

Here's a video from a guy who covers the league, thinks Walton needs to go, thinks we need to trade the vets. I enjoyed it.
What he is saying is logical but might be easier said than done. Sam Amick said on the Deuce and Mo podcast that while Barnes and Buddy are good players they might not move the needle enough for a team to trade for them considering their contracts. Boston is a decent suggestion but I bet they are holding out for a bigger fish. The one team that comes to mind for Barnes would be the Magic. They don't have a small forward and may be interested? Vuc, Gordon, Barnes and Fournier would be enough for them to make the playoffs. Then next year, after they trade Gordon they would have a core of Vuc, Isaac, Barnes and Fultz. Not exactly a championship contender but good enough to be in the playoff hunt for a couple years. I would look to re-sign Holmes as long as the contract is reasonable. He only takes shots he can make (highest FG % in the league) high energy, knows his role, great teammate. Im not in a hurry to unload a player like that for scraps.

gunks

Hall of Famer
If it wasn’t for the team morale issues, I’d be down to keep Walton and stand pat. This is a good draft, and so far McNair already seems to be a better judge of talent than Vlade “I’m gonna **** this draft pick up” Divac. Luke is gonna get us that high pick.

I’m as sick of the 15 year rebuild as everyone else, but if we get another star prospect to pair with Fox and Hali (and maaaybe Bagley), our young core is looking good.

Sign some more tough guys like Holmes, grab a coach like D’Antoni and maybe we’re right back in it next season. I’d even be cool with keeping Barnes, who’s been great this season, and Buddy, who’s just horribly misused.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Should have been Ingram, but I guess it was just a magic coincidence that he improved drastically after Luke wasn't his coach anymore.
Ingram played nearly 34 minutes, averaged 18 PPG, 5 RPG and 3 APG, shot nearly 50% from the floor and 33% from 3 so it wasn't as if Luke didn't play him and let him make mistakes along the way. Ingram was simply sharing touches with Bron and Kuzma

Here's a video from a guy who covers the league, thinks Walton needs to go, thinks we need to trade the vets. I enjoyed it.

Team definately needs a shake up.

He mentions R. Holmes for Shamet. That's a yes from me.

Cavs are prob looking to move Drummond, Jarret Allen is the center moving forward. Not sure what it'd take but for a one year rental. They acquired Drummond with a 2nd rnd pick and filler. Buddy for Drummond would be ideal, but it is a 3 yr committment after this year.

Out Holmes/Hield/2nd rnd pick
In Shamet/Drummond
Waive JJ sign Shump (or other avail perimeter defender)

Lets see what we have in Ramsey and Woodard.

Ingram played nearly 34 minutes, averaged 18 PPG, 5 RPG and 3 APG, shot nearly 50% from the floor and 33% from 3 so it wasn't as if Luke didn't play him and let him make mistakes along the way. Ingram was simply sharing touches with Bron and Kuzma
So Rondo was the 2nd best player and not Ingram? I don't get your point here. He didn't even make 1 3 per game that year, so at 33% I can only guess Luke didn't want him taking them. He shot under 70% from the FT line, yet magically starting making more 3s per game and improved his FT% by leaps after Luke. Seems like Luke punishes players for doing things he doesn't like even if they are good at it, see the example of Tyrese above.

Also with the Lakers, he brought Randle off the bench in favor or Nance Jr in part leading to the Lakers not even offering a second contract to Randle., helped Brook Lopez to his worst season in his career and brought him off the bench that led to him taking a vet minimum deal with MIL and proceeded to start blocking over 2 per game, never developed Russell into anything valuable who was then traded to the Nets for 50 cents on the dollar and his game elevated the very next season.

Makes me wonder what Bagley will do once he is under a new coach or on a different team.

Luke sucks, man.

Last edited:
Luke should take some responsibility. He is a young coach that has not achieved anything on his own. He does not have the resume to just say 'I wash my hands of this'. If he had led a couple of different teams deep into the playoffs, then cool, it might be just on the players.
Unfortunately, the fact that his last name is Walton, and his last 2 stints at coaching both ended in fashions where he can claim culpable deniability of failure, created the perfect situation where he can still keep his ego intact and can say he is just not being put in the "right position to success".

Team definately needs a shake up.

He mentions R. Holmes for Shamet. That's a yes from me.

Cavs are prob looking to move Drummond, Jarret Allen is the center moving forward. Not sure what it'd take but for a one year rental. They acquired Drummond with a 2nd rnd pick and filler. Buddy for Drummond would be ideal, but it is a 3 yr committment after this year.

Out Holmes/Hield/2nd rnd pick
In Shamet/Drummond
Waive JJ sign Shump (or other avail perimeter defender)

Lets see what we have in Ramsey and Woodard.
If the Nets fail to get center depth we could send them Whiteside or Holmes for ATL 21 second and Golden State 25 second probably, I would be tempted to go for Shamet if we could move Buddy for certain.

If we want to see Woodard and Ramsey get some time down the road, Walton has to go, he's trying everything he can do to keep his job.

You know what, maybe that's something we need to think about.

How has Walton done developing our players?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Off topic but the Pelicans have 2 all star level players, a bruising center, a former #2 pick and a good perimeter defender. Their record? 5-9. One game better than the Kings. Goes to show you how tough it is to win in the NBA.
I mean, if we want to talk about coaches horribly misusing their personnel, Stan Van Gundy (and that entire front office for that matter) have benefitted from Luke Walton's constant appearances atop the WTF coaching moments leader board.

Zion being both too small to really play as a big and being too chunky to play as a true wing has thus far proven to be hard for the Pels to build around, especially with Brandon Ingram essentially stuck in the exact same boat as a 6'11" dude with the weight of your average point guard. Surround those two with a roster of dudes who are generally not known for their ability to space the floor and a 7'1" traditional bone crunching big and you get the confusing jumble of parts you have now.

For Luke's general cluelessness schematically, SVG at least has had his guys playing solid defense even if his offense largely makes no sense.

It also shows you what a good coach does to a team when you look at Pels/kings vs Knicks/Thunder.
coaching matters for sure but SVG is 528-392 in his career.

obviously it’s too early to draw a definitive conclusion on these teams. 20 games from now all 4 of these teams could be 6-7 games under

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
coaching matters for sure but SVG is 528-392 in his career.

obviously it’s too early to draw a definitive conclusion on these teams. 20 games from now all 4 of these teams could be 6-7 games under
Most of those wins came with prime D-Wade/Shaq or Dwight Howard though.
I don’t think he’s a bad coach by any means but I’m not quite sure his style works in the modern NBA.

Most of those wins came with prime D-Wade/Shaq or Dwight Howard though.
I don’t think he’s a bad coach by any means but I’m not quite sure his style works in the modern NBA.
it’s certainly possible.

This isn’t a defense of Walton, it’s just a reminder that this league is stacked and there are a ton of factors that go into a winning squad. A coaching change unless it’s for a savant is probably only going to make a marginal difference.

Another thing we need to ask ourselves, what incentive does Gentry have to bench Cojo and play Kyle Guy and Woodard? He will be in the same lame duck situation Walton is in. And it seems that players and coaches have a very different take on CoJo than the fans. That goes for Holmes/Bags.

The bigger change has to come from the FO. As much as I like Buddy and Barnes. One or both probably has to be moved.

I can’t wait for the deadline so we know what this team will look like for the rest of the season. So much uncertainty here.

Last edited:
Looks like Monte will have to force the hand for Guy by moving Cojo. While I would love to see Woodward/Ramsey, I can understand working 2nd round picks without a training camp slowly. Hopefully they can ease into 15 minute roles by the seasons end.

Status
Not open for further replies.