[Game] Kings vs. Blazers, 1/9/21 7pm PST, 10pm EST

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so back to back blowout losses at home with Indiana next could possibly be 3 or the Kings can turn full Jekyll on us all and take the W

I feel like there's a good team here with a coach who puts the right players on the floor together and lets them run. Fox and Haliburton are very good defensively when the bigs don't get in their way. Barnes is solid. Whiteside is dominant. There's no excuse for getting blown out with these guys on the bench. Yeah Haliburton is a rookie and Fox is coming off an injury and Whiteside got absolutely raked by Melo without a call so maybe they can't all play the full 48 but nobody else out there was defending anybody.

CoJo and Bhelica just are who they are at this point. They both should have been traded in the off-season but there wasn't much of one this year so here we are. McNair needs to trade them now or just waive them so Luke can't trot them out there every game against all logic. But the real issue tonight was the starting lineup, specifically Buddy and Bagley who showed no effort on either end of the court. Portland went after them hard in the first quarter and they folded. Both of them need to get their heads in the game or they need to sit on the bench.
Agree with all of this except Whiteside being able to run with Fox and Halliburton. I think Whiteside should play more. That’s undeniable, but don’t think he can be starting next to them. Can’t run n the team would need to play zone with in.

As for Buddy and Bagkey, it’s beating a dead horse. Two inefficient offensive players who think they can out gun every opponent, so why spend any energy playing defense.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Who would you start next to him?
Next to Whiteside? Well it would have to be either Holmes, Bagley, or Metu since I like Barnes at the 3 defensively. If Bagley is going to continue to play as soft as he did tonight I don't want him out there but he looked good in the Chicago game so it might be a game by game decision depending on the match up.

I think if he is smart he'll go work for Sean Miller for a season or two at Arizona and he'll eventually be a head coach again, if that's what he wants to do.
College is prob his best bet. Two straight NBA coaching failures and it might be a decade before he gets another shot. Maybe never again. The list of never again NBA head coaches is long.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Agree with all of this except Whiteside being able to run with Fox and Halliburton. I think Whiteside should play more. That’s undeniable, but don’t think he can be starting next to them. Can’t run n the team would need to play zone with in.

As for Buddy and Bagkey, it’s beating a dead horse. Two inefficient offensive players who think they can out gun every opponent, so why spend any energy playing defense.
It's not like we're running now. Fox, Hield, and Bagley look like a potent offensive combo on paper for a team that pushes the tempo every game but as long as we have Luke Walton on the sideline that's not going to happen so maybe we should just give him his two ballhandlers and surround them with a lineup that's going to make the other team sweat for their points.

It's not like we're running now. Fox, Hield, and Bagley look like a potent offensive combo on paper for a team that pushes the tempo every game but as long as we have Luke Walton on the sideline that's not going to happen so maybe we should just give him his two ballhandlers and surround them with a lineup that's going to make the other team sweat for their points.
I think we’re seeing that now. The Kings have been a top ten offense in the 1h and a bottom ten offense in the 2h. Teams let the Kings run then beat them up in the 2h. Basically betting on the Kings not being able to maintain their pace for a full game.

I just feel bad for Bagley at this point. I've never been on the Bagley bandwagon since day one but even I didn't think he would ever be this bad.

Couple that with Buddy being almost as bad as Bagley game to game and it's no wonder that the Kings can barely stay within 20 of their opponents.

Just disappointing all around. The only light I can see going forward this year is to play Bagley big minutes and tank, tank, tank. Our tradable pieces have negative trade value other than Holmes but I think the Kings would be better off resigning him than trading him.

How Portland media saw it

Blazers Mow Over Kings in 125-99 Laugher

The Portland Trail Blazers finally made a game look easy tonight, blowing past the Sacramento Kings in a 125-99 victory.

Sacramento found themselves having to crowd the paint to prevent layups, leaving the perimeter wide open. This was like ringing the dinner bell for McCollum, who hit four threes in the period. It didn’t take long before the Blazers led by 30 and the game was salted away. Hassan Whiteside bulled inside against Portland’s still-can’t-defend-straight-up interior patrol, but it hardly mattered. The Blazers led 93-69 at the end of the third.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/1/...-damian-lillard-carmelo-anthony-stats?src=rss

College is prob his best bet. Two straight NBA coaching failures and it might be a decade before he gets another shot. Maybe never again. The list of never again NBA head coaches is long.
He was really good with Golden State and he actually improved horrific Lakers teams before LeBron arrived. I am not defending a single thing he has done in Sacramento but I think LeBron broke him. College would be very good for him. I think he could get back but he needs the right opportunity, not one where he is expected to overachieve from day one which is what happened both his final season in LA and when arrived in Sacramento.

The Portland Trail Blazers finally made a game look easy tonight, blowing past the Sacramento Kings in a 125-99 victory.

Sacramento found themselves having to crowd the paint to prevent layups, leaving the perimeter wide open. This was like ringing the dinner bell for McCollum, who hit four threes in the period. It didn’t take long before the Blazers led by 30 and the game was salted away. Hassan Whiteside bulled inside against Portland’s still-can’t-defend-straight-up interior patrol, but it hardly mattered. The Blazers led 93-69 at the end of the third.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/1/...-damian-lillard-carmelo-anthony-stats?src=rss
A Blazer fan from article

Man, I'm not a fan of Marvin Bagley

Like, what did he even do tonight? On offense he hit one nice corner three, but he mostly just laid bricks. On defense, P.U.! That kid stinks!
I’d rather have Giles than Bagley at this point. Kangz!

houston still not able to pull the trigger on a harden trade, but previously, i thought buddy and baggy was a fair package - now i think we would have to throw in some future number one picks also, and it might be trading a headache (or two) for an upset stomach, but my head hurts NOW.

bonus might be bringing in d'antoni (originally drafted by the kings) and playing a small lineup and a fast pace (which is what vivek supposedly wanted).

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Like, what did he even do tonight? On offense he hit one nice corner three, but he mostly just laid bricks. On defense, P.U.! That kid stinks!
Agree with you there and I always have, comment man.

well they have Giles so lucky them.

I'd rather have KD than Oden.

well the giles ship has sailed but i like what i saw from metu in his limited minutes over bagley at the 5 tonight

Chavano lowered both his FG and 3pt percentages tonight. He's at 33.7% from downtown for the season. His early shooting foul and turnover that led to a fastbreak basically set the tone for the game. He is a walking bad decision on the court. I appreciate when he messes up, how the camera person zooms in on the coach immediately afterward.

Bjelly is at 23.8% from 3 on the season why is he getting 12 mins tonight?

J.J. isn't even an NBA caliber player. He hasn't hit a three all year and missed 5 of his last 6 FREE throws. Why did he get 13 mins of playing time tonight?

If we want to lose, then fine but not like this.

Last edited:

Basically, you can’t win with a defensive turnstile at the two spot and a defensive turnstile at the 4 spot. 5 on 3 hoops is a losing scheme.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Chavano lowered both his FG and 3pt percentages tonight. He's at 33.7% from downtown for the season. His early shooting foul and turnover that led to a fastbreak basically set the tone for the game. He is a walking bad decision on the court. I appreciate when he messes up, how the camera person zooms in on the coach immediately afterward.

Bjelly is at 23.8% from 3 on the season why is he getting 12 mins tonight?

J.J. isn't even and NBA caliber player. He hasn't hit a three all year and missed 5 of his last 6 FREE throws. Why did he get 13 mins of playing time tonight?

If we want to lose, then fine but not like this.
New JJ is a joke and just another stinky reminder of how inept Vlade was. Lmao

New JJ is a joke and just another stinky reminder of how inept Vlade was. Lmao
Cannot believe he made the team.
Luke acts like he owes it to players or something.

Christie said after tendinitous in his knee last year he hasn't been the same.

Joke is the word I would use too.

Hield is the kind of player that bring you joy but also the same amount of pain. Why do I said that? Because he doesn't play defense and have no impact on defense. Basically he's being reduced to a 1-dimensional player whenever he's on the court and the ONLY reason he's on the floor is because Kings need somebody to score which is sad if you think about it. You need him to help score for the team but you hate the way he don't even play defense or have no impact on the team defensively. Not just that, what else can Buddy do? Certainly not someone that can post up; not someone that you can rely on for assist and court vision. In fact, he's responsible for making so many bone-headed plays that ended up in turnovers or ill advice shots....him jumping up in the air and pass and doesn't know where to pass to....or taking shots by driving into the teeth of the defense. His decision making is questionable at best.

Buddy has really been trash this season, and this is coming from one of his biggest supporters on this board. His shot is completely off at this point and must be getting into his head, and looking at older footage I think putting on muscle has been detrimental for him because he looks a lot slower. The funny thing is his shooting is really his main problem this season, as much as some here continue to regurgitate the ol' defense line.

Also, Fox needs to fix his free throws. It's just not worth the energy spent and bruising he's getting running full speed into traffic if he does all that for 1 point while the other team comes down and buries 3s on us.

Why is Walton still around?

Buddy has really been trash this season, and this is coming from one of his biggest supporters on this board. His shot is completely off at this point and must be getting into his head, and looking at older footage I think putting on muscle has been detrimental for him because he looks a lot slower. The funny thing is his shooting is really his main problem this season, as much as some here continue to regurgitate the ol' defense line.

Also, Fox needs to fix his free throws. It's just not worth the energy spent and bruising he's getting running full speed into traffic if he does all that for 1 point while the other team comes down and buries 3s on us.

Why is Walton still around?
The catch and shoot for him is all but dead. They have him handle the ball up top to draw doubles then swing it most of the time. The problem is the player he's often swinging it to is Fox and teams aren't falling for the trap. The team needs a new voice and soon.