Things you would change about the NBA

What are some things you don’t like about the NBA and if possible, how would you change them?

here are 3 of mine

1) the continuation foul. I hate when players launch prayers up after being fouled. I don’t think you can remove it entirely but it uglies up the game. I would propose continuation fouls become one and one or one and twos. It doesn’t eliminate the problem but it doesn’t reward the player as much by getting free throws for a shot they aren’t trying to make.

2) stank face after every foul or non call. It’s like having a Debbie downer at the office. Super draining and annoying. I propose a Karen Stat. Stank faces or complaints would be tracked just like any other play. I don’t know what the consequence would be for those with the most karens but at least they would know how loathed they are by fans.

3)over reliance on the 3 ball. I love 3 point shots and shooters but I can’t handle 40-50 a game. I also don’t like the half court shot as a normal part of someone’s offensive arsenal (it seems we might be heading that way). I know there has been some talk of changing the 3 line but not sure how that would work.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Eliminate the jump ball (alternate possession to start quarters, coin flip for tie-ups)
Enforce lane violations on free throws
Disallow team high-fives after non-terminal free throws
Enforce dislodging rules in the post
Allow defensive retreat - if a defender is facing the ballhandler and moving backwards away from him, any contact initiated by the ballhandler is a no-call or an offensive foul (Jerry Reynolds' principle that the defender has a right to be somewhere on the floor)
Change offensive/defensive 3-second violations to 7-second violations, and actually enforce it strictly
Define and enforce carrying violations
Award teams a bonus replay challenge if their challenge is successful

And of course, my perennial request:
Do not base draft position on team record/lottery process, but rather use results of a league-wide front office vote (will greatly reduce incentive to tank, front offices will naturally award highest picks to teams that are least-well positioned to succeed in the future)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Eliminate the jump ball (alternate possession to start quarters, coin flip for tie-ups)
Change offensive/defensive 3-second violations to 7-second violations, and actually enforce it strictly
So, you basically want the pros to be more like college?

Do not base draft position on team record/lottery process, but rather use results of a league-wide front office vote (will greatly reduce incentive to tank, front offices will naturally award highest picks to teams that are least-well positioned to succeed in the future)
Oh, I thought we were keeping this to on-the-court. If we're talking about other stuff, too, let me add a couple more:

• Abolish the draft.
  • Abolish max salaries
  • Adopt and enforce a hard cap.

Small market fans will get the parity they think they want, inside of fifteen years.

Revise the lottery rules to sort teams by one of the following: 3-5 year overall record, rank by longest playoff drought, date (or number of games played) when mathematical elimination from playoffs occured.

Technical foul for any embellishment found in a reviewed call that results in an overturned call.

Eliminate the jump ball (alternate possession to start quarters

Allow defensive retreat - if a defender is facing the ballhandler and moving backwards away from him, any contact initiated by the ballhandler is a no-call or an offensive foul (Jerry Reynolds' principle that the defender has a right to be somewhere on the floor)

These are particularly reasonable

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So, you basically want the pros to be more like college?

That wasn't my intention, but I suppose that in some ways the college rules are better. I don't love the possession arrow, especially how it mixes up the first possession of the second half with tie-ups, which I think should be distinct. But sure, to the extent that rules are more strictly and uniformly enforced in college, yes, that's a good ideal.

Oh, I thought we were keeping this to on-the-court. If we're talking about other stuff, too, let me add a couple more:

• Abolish the draft.
  • Abolish max salaries
  • Adopt and enforce a hard cap.

Small market fans will get the parity they think they want, inside of fifteen years.
I would go for the second and third of those - if you want to pay LeBron 85% of the salary cap, hey, go right ahead. But I think the draft would still be important for giving less-desirable locations, such as Sacramento, a shot at acquiring good young players.

I would go for the second and third of those - if you want to pay LeBron 85% of the salary cap, hey, go right ahead. But I think the draft would still be important for giving less-desirable locations, such as Sacramento, a shot at acquiring good young players.
With a truly hard cap with 0 exceptions, those young players would have to go somewhere or play for pennies. Its an interesting concept. I think the outside endorsement money from the glamour cities might corrupt this though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If you adopt and enforce the second two, the first will allow that to happen, anyway. Contrary to the inferiority complex of small market fans, a kid who thinks he's #1 Overall Pick good isn't going to settle for coming off the bench behind an All-Star/Max Salary player, and/or a minimum salary, just so that they can play in a desirable market. There are still going to be a maximum number of roster spots, per team.

If you adopt and enforce the second two, the first will allow that to happen, anyway. Contrary to the inferiority complex of small market fans, a kid who thinks he's #1 Overall Pick good isn't going to settle for coming off the bench behind an All-Star/Max Salary player, and/or a minimum salary, just so that they can play in a desirable market. There are still going to be a maximum number of roster spots, per team.
The only danger is that it winds up like the European Soccer club market where everyone ultimately makes/forces their way to the top clubs, but they aren't hard capped and I think you are right that ultimately many of these guys want to get paid. Right now all the cap workarounds allow them to have their cake and eat it too, it would be very interesting. I think the PU would fight a hard cap tooth and nail though, so good luck.

They are more like low fives than high fives. but if they did start high fiving, yes I would ban it.

I don’t know why this isn’t a given. The if challenge was correct, why should you be penalized the same as someone challenging it incorrectly. I’d much rather a team be able to challenge multiple bad calls at the end of the game instead of reading how the refs blew it the multiple times in the L2M report the next day.

It’s also curious why NBA players insist on playing in one of 3-4 markets. Tom Brady signed in Tampa Bay forgiveness sake.
TB had cap room to give him a huge contract, get Gronk, and give him a fancy WR corps he hasn't had in years in NE. Have to assume he wouldn't have gone to an AFC Florida team, especially division rival Miami so if he wanted warm weather for his final years, tax advantaged state, etc. it actually makes tons of sense.

NFL is definitely the most parity league and they do have a hard cap (and in general the PU is far less strong than most other US leagues).

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
They are more like low fives than high fives. but if they did start high fiving, yes I would ban it.
Sure, whatever. The point is that they waste time between each free throw for (now-obligatory) ceremonial reasons, and we should just get rid of it.

TB had cap room to give him a huge contract, get Gronk, and give him a fancy WR corps he hasn't had in years in NE. Have to assume he wouldn't have gone to an AFC Florida team, especially division rival Miami so if he wanted warm weather for his final years, tax advantaged state, etc. it actually makes tons of sense.

NFL is definitely the most parity league and they do have a hard cap (and in general the PU is far less strong than most other US leagues).
Yeh I can definitely see why he signed there i just wish we weren’t a four or five team league. The only way a team outside of the those markets gets a championship in the NBA is with a generational talent ie the Spurs. Part of the reason for that is a football team roster is 3 times that of the NBA so there are a lot more gigs open.

This has much to do with the nature of the games than anything else — a single superstar, much less two, can elevate a basketball team more than any single player in football, given the number of players on the field at a time and the specialized roles they play.

Same goes for baseball, which traditionally has a much stronger union and weaker salary restrictions— Mike Trout can’t will his way to the playoffs if the Angels don’t have any decent pitchers, even if he is the best in the game.