Bjelica + 43 + 52 for corpse and Utah's 23

Was talking with a Jazz fan about this trade, we both found it fair.

Utah out Davis and 23d pick

Kings out Bjelica, 43, 52

We waive Davis if we can't make use of the salary by the deadline.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
If it meant McDaniels or Stewart coming in, heck yes. But there is a lot of muck in that part of the draft. With Vlade I would say no, but who knows with McNair.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I like McDaniels too, don't think he is there at 35, have asked around as well. I'd wager Boston drafts him at 30 or he goes earlier.
I'm hoping they both drop. McDaniels is a boom bust type but I think in a draft like with where the Kings are at this is when you might as well gamble.

Then we have more cap and we also dont have the next malachi richardson. It's a hilariously lateral move. Plus let's not forget bjelica is actually a productive player on a fair contract.

Then we have more cap and we also dont have the next malachi richardson. It's a hilariously lateral move. Plus let's not forget bjelica is actually a productive player on a fair contract.
There is a lot wrong with this post.
  • You can’t guarantee #23 turns into Malachi Richardson.
  • #23 would make $2 mil. So the majority of the cap savings would still be there.
  • Bjelica is 32 and an UFA after this next season. He doesn’t fit this teams timeline which is led by a 22 year old PG.
It would be poor asset management to let a 32 year old player who is not on the same timeline as the core potentially walk for nothing other than cap space. Especially when trading him for a 1st round pick would still result in the Kings getting a large majority of that cap space.

There is a lot wrong with this post.
  • You can’t guarantee #23 turns into Malachi Richardson.
  • #23 would make $2 mil. So the majority of the cap savings would still be there.
  • Bjelica is 32 and an UFA after this next season. He doesn’t fit this teams timeline which is led by a 22 year old PG.
It would be poor asset management to let a 32 year old player who is not on the same timeline as the core potentially walk for nothing other than cap space. Especially when trading him for a 1st round pick would still result in the Kings getting a large majority of that cap space.
If we're all on board with throwing next season away, you're right. I may be a little high on bjelica, I'll admit that. I just think you have a sure thing productive player on a good expiring deal which will turn into cap space after the season and i don't think he should be high on the "must trade" list. Especially for a 23rd pick in a weak draft.

If we're all on board with throwing next season away, you're right. I may be a little high on bjelica, I'll admit that. I just think you have a sure thing productive player on a good expiring deal which will turn into cap space after the season and i don't think he should be high on the "must trade" list. Especially for a 23rd pick in a weak draft.
There isn’t any blue chip, top end prospects so you hear people calling this draft “weak” but what it really means is that it’s weak at the top. That doesn’t automatically mean it’s weak throughout the entire draft. The prospects in the 23rd range are comparable to other drafts so I don’t agree with that premise.

As for throwing next season away, we’re not some perennial playoff team who just needs to get over the jump to make a deep playoff push. We’re likely one of the worst teams in the West.

Lakers
Clippers
Nuggets
Rockets
Thunder
Jazz
Mavericks
Blazers
Grizzlies
Suns
Spurs
Pelicans
Wolves
Warriors

Which 7 teams are we better than with Bjelica on the team? And that’s just to get to the 8th seed.

What happens if Bjelica decides to walk for nothing the next season? You say we get cap space but again, trading him for a 1st still allows you to claim the majority of that cap space while having a young asset to show for moving the 32 year old. Wouldn’t you agree that’s way better than thinking we have a shot at beating out 7 of those teams listed above just to get swept by the Lakers in the 1st round?

There isn’t any blue chip, top end prospects so you hear people calling this draft “weak” but what it really means is that it’s weak at the top. That doesn’t automatically mean it’s weak throughout the entire draft. The prospects in the 23rd range are comparable to other drafts so I don’t agree with that premise.

As for throwing next season away, we’re not some perennial playoff team who just needs to get over the jump to make a deep playoff push. We’re likely one of the worst teams in the West.

Lakers
Clippers
Nuggets
Rockets
Thunder
Jazz
Mavericks
Blazers
Grizzlies
Suns
Spurs
Pelicans
Wolves
Warriors

Which 7 teams are we better than with Bjelica on the team? And that’s just to get to the 8th seed.

What happens if Bjelica decides to walk for nothing the next season? You say we get cap space but again, trading him for a 1st still allows you to claim the majority of that cap space while having a young asset to show for moving the 32 year old. Wouldn’t you agree that’s way better than thinking we have a shot at beating out 7 of those teams listed above just to get swept by the Lakers in the 1st round?
Every one of those teams except maybe the Spurs is better than us now or have a better future than us. I'd be over the moon if we could start over and get a bunch of late first rounders in this year's draft or next.

Is Bjelica signed long-term? Is Bjelica someone we can see as a core rotation player next to Fox 3-4 years down the line? Is Bjelica young enough to be apart of a rebuild where we aren't good for a few years?

The answer is no, so getting value for Bjelica while we can is the smart play to start building a winner here. Doesn't matter if this is a weak draft or not; you're getting a young, cost-controlled asset for potentially 7 years for a player who won't be here after next season.

Is Bjelica signed long-term? Is Bjelica someone we can see as a core rotation player next to Fox 3-4 years down the line? Is Bjelica young enough to be apart of a rebuild where we aren't good for a few years?

The answer is no, so getting value for Bjelica while we can is the smart play to start building a winner here. Doesn't matter if this is a weak draft or not; you're getting a young, cost-controlled asset for potentially 7 years for a player who won't be here after next season.
I believe this wouldn't be a smart move. If Bjelica just walks after next season, we are deciding whether he's worth 7mil for 1 more season. If not trading him for a better player, I think he is good enough to help the kings reach the play offs. Big body, skilled, good 3pt shooter, smart. In my eyes, 2 second round picks are worth more than 23rd. There is a lot of talent out there, and if you scout good, there is a bigger chance you get that one solid player out of 2 picks than 1

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think you consider this trade unless you have a particular player targeted, and he's sitting there at 23. Other than that, I'd wait till the trade deadline when his value would go up for a team looking for that final piece to get them over the hump.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not sure where else to put this but it has Bjelic’s name in the title.....

Brian Windhorst was commenting that the Kings want to get a bit younger and that Bjelica is a guy that may be a target for teams. Maybe he’s heard something but I think it’s a given Bjelica will most likely be moved either by himself or in a package

How does a player move themself?

His 2020 is non-guaranteed if waived, so (as I understand) the Kings can waive him or not.

Package would be nice. We do have 83.4 PFs.

Utah has already traded #23 to the Knicks for #27 and #38
yeah, this thread was old but was bumped earlier today to serve as a placeholder for Bjelica discussion, it looks like.

Saw on realgm some Utah fans suggesting 27 and Ed Davis for Bjelica and a second, similar to the OP’s premise here, although worse now for the Kings.

yeah, this thread was old but was bumped earlier today to serve as a placeholder for Bjelica discussion, it looks like.

Saw on realgm some Utah fans suggesting 27 and Ed Davis for Bjelica and a second, similar to the OP’s premise here, although worse now for the Kings.
Was a good move by the Knicks if they have a prospect in mind. Blocks Utah from making a trade before them.

Even though the 27 is a worse pick, still think it may be a good idea to talk to them.

Anything after the Boston 30, we are probably better off holding on to him for FA deals or up to the deadline.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If it meant McDaniels or Stewart coming in, heck yes. But there is a lot of muck in that part of the draft. With Vlade I would say no, but who knows with McNair.
Did your watch McDaniels play any games? I was extremely high on this kid at the start of the season, and he was ranked up in the top ten. There's a reason he's not ranked there anymore. His play was inconsistent and at times he appeared to be mentally elsewhere. I got so frustrated watching him play, I almost threw things at my TV. If someone can do a heart transplant on him, then I might be interested. Whoever drafts him will need to light a huge fire under him. He has Donte Greene written all over him. This is not the kind of player the Kings need on the team. Oh, and by the way, the kid is very very talented. Dam shame!

Did your watch McDaniels play any games? I was extremely high on this kid at the start of the season, and he was ranked up in the top ten. There's a reason he's not ranked there anymore. His play was inconsistent and at times he appeared to be mentally elsewhere. I got so frustrated watching him play, I almost threw things at my TV. If someone can do a heart transplant on him, then I might be interested. Whoever drafts him will need to light a huge fire under him. He has Donte Greene written all over him. This is not the kind of player the Kings need on the team. Oh, and by the way, the kid is very very talented. Dam shame!
Yeah, I followed Stewart mostly. Again, in a draft that doesn't have any guarantees I'm OK with potential if they fit the team and league trends. McDaniels is skeletor come to life. The thing is I see the edge in him. He's willing to mix it up a bit and shows flashes of a meanstreak which is the only thing that will allow him to cover up his shortcomings and give you a chance to see his skills. Donte Greene. Eh maybe. Donte never showed the legit wing skills McDaniels does though. And Donte came from a system that has upended more than a few teams in the draft when they thought that Syracuse tweener wing was the next big thing. A deep first rounder isn't going to make or break the franchise so at a pick like 23 gamble away.

Was a good move by the Knicks if they have a prospect in mind. Blocks Utah from making a trade before them.

Even though the 27 is a worse pick, still think it may be a good idea to talk to them.

Anything after the Boston 30, we are probably better off holding on to him for FA deals or up to the deadline.
As volatile as this draft is I don't know that the Knicks have a specific player in mind at that slot.

My best guess is that they were just moving up to have a higher pick to package with #8 for another deal. Possibly to move into the top 5?