[Shams] The Sacramento Kings are hiring Houston Rockets assistant GM Monte McNair as new head of basketball operations, sources tell me and @sam_amick

The Amick tweet says he has been hired as Gm and this says head of basketball operations. I take it he reports to Vivek directly as opposed to a head of basketball operations and then the Gm directly below like in Denver?

The Ammick tweet says he has been hired as Gm and this says head of basketball operations. I take it he reports to Vivek directly as opposed to a head of basketball operations and then the Gm directly below like in Denver?
Both tweets said the same sources spoke to both of them (at least how that’s I read it), so it’s maybe it’s just one position? Could be just miscommunication but I’d honestly be happier if GM + head of basketball ops was one position. No need for room for more drama

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Both tweets said the same sources spoke to both of them (at least how that’s I read it), so it’s maybe it’s just one position? Could be just miscommunication but I’d honestly be happier if GM + head of basketball ops was one position. No need for room for more drama
Yup. The last thing we need is another Vlade/Williams situation.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Trying to read some background on the new guy in regards to identifying talent. Back in 2016, he said they would rely on the scouts but then with data and analytics would bump guys/prospects up or down.

Until I see any proof or examples of him involved in identifying draftable and undrafted rookie free agents, I’m concerned. I don’t doubt the analytics part but......I don’t know

Trying to read some background on the new guy in regards to identifying talent. Back in 2016, he said they would rely on the scouts but then with data and analytics would bump guys/prospects up or down.

Until I see any proof or examples of him involved in identifying draftable and undrafted rookie free agents, I’m concerned. I don’t doubt the analytics part but......I don’t know
0C0DA61A-8086-4371-882A-C8546F11BD0D.gif

he came up thru Houston as part of their analytics department. That’s it I think

I would’ve much preferred Gupta because McNair’s background is harder to assess. Gupta left with Hinkie to Philly then left Philly when Hinkie did. Both squads regressed or tread water when Hinkie left, so Gupta gets some of that shine. The Rockets Westbrook trade might turn out to be a disaster in terms of what they gave up

again nothing to pin on mcnair, just a stray thought

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

if this man got hired for his analytical prowess then I'm afraid the Kings are going to be in a similar situation as they were with Pete, maybe not as bad because McNair has more experience in the front office but still....the groundwork is not looking like something I can get excited about for the time being. Analytics should play a role in constructing a team but the main factor here is talent evaluation and having a plan and being consistent in striving towards it instead of being all over the place, which is what the Kings' identity has been for a long time.

Scouts + analytics is the way it should be. The Kings went from pure stats (Pete D) to pure gut feel (Vlade). If McNair is able to merge both, I’m all for it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
After reading the link, and see all the moves he was responsible or partly responsible for, honestly it looks like a bunch of shuffling deck chairs in a majority of deals and then there are the huge deals going after the superstars for the Houston roster.....and we will never ever be able to pull off one of those deals.

And then with analytics being his deal, maybe someone can point out where it actually helped them in bringing in young talent.

These deals and signings look just like everything Vlade did which is bringing in vets to try and make the 8th spot instead of staying the course and keep acquiring younger talent.

Im a bit worried.

After reading the link, and see all the moves he was responsible or partly responsible for, honestly it looks like a bunch of shuffling deck chairs in a majority of deals and then there are the huge deals going after the superstars for the Houston roster.....and we will never ever be able to pull off one of those deals.

And then with analytics being his deal, maybe someone can point out where it actually helped them in bringing in young talent.

These deals and signings look just like everything Vlade did which is bringing in vets to try and make the 8th spot instead of staying the course and keep acquiring younger talent.

Im a bit worried.
1. That's what almost all trades are.

2. The Rockets strategy, especially since they got Harden was get as many stars as possible and let role players do their jobs.

3. Listening to scouts then adjusting up and down with analytics is literally what every team should and most likely is doing. We...for whatever reason...did not.

Excellent news! Kings, for the first time in what feels like a long time, actually had a real process in vetting and hire someone in their power structure, which lead to them getting one of the more qualified candidates in the entire league for the job. The Houston umbrella is a real thing where six current heads of basketball ops are currently employed:

We're at least giving ourselves a shot to a build a winning team here. Step one is in the books.

Im a bit worried.
Mirrors my major concern w/ the Houston guys—they don’t draft that well. Their models are great at identifying talent that’s already in the league, but seemingly nearly worthless at identifying prospects. Could be myriad reasons for that, but it’s quite the concern for this position.

Im a bit worried.
Who really knows. Seems like a smart guy, that has worked his way up from the bottom, a lot of experience in a front office. Like them or hate them, the rockets have been a successful team for a long time. Nit picking the individual moves misses the point.

if this man got hired for his analytical prowess then I'm afraid the Kings are going to be in a similar situation as they were with Pete, maybe not as bad because McNair has more experience in the front office but still....the groundwork is not looking like something I can get excited about for the time being. Analytics should play a role in constructing a team but the main factor here is talent evaluation and having a plan and being consistent in striving towards it instead of being all over the place, which is what the Kings' identity has been for a long time.
Pete's real downfall was he fired the best coach this Kings have had in a long time in one of the worst ways possible because he wasn't "his guy". I think if he was the guy behind the scenes, pulling the strings, he probably could have built a decent team here. But he was one of the absolute worst "PR" Gm's the league has seen in a long time and didn't have the people skills to be able to build relationships with the players (leaked stories, etc) or anyone else around him. He obviously has value to a FO since he's basically been employed since he left the Kings.

Mirrors my major concern w/ the Houston guys—they don’t draft that well. Their models are great at identifying talent that’s already in the league, but seemingly nearly worthless at identifying prospects. Could be myriad reasons for that, but it’s quite the concern for this position.
I could be wrong here, but seems like they have generally had success identifying undrafted players over the years that have hit pretty good.

Yup. The last thing we need is another Vlade/Williams situation.
My understanding is that the problem with Vlade and Williams was not structural, it was personality. Any head of the FO is going to need assistants. The structural concerns that have haunted the Kings are the “advisors” with ambiguous responsibilities that end up undermining the existing power structure, as we’ve seen with Mullin, Vlade, and Dumars. Amick’s latest for the Athletic suggests that Dumars is staying on as an advisor. I find that more concerning than any assistant GM hire.

Last edited:
Or, they don't draft at all. Their use of their first round picks around Harden has been to put current NBA talent around him while they have a title window open with Harden in his prime. That 2018 team easily could have been a title team had they not run into a historically great Warriors team.

And while the Westbrook trade reeks of ownership interference, their general plan has been the correct one. When you have a top 5 player on your team in his prime, the goal should be to up your championship odds and not wait for a rookie to develop. Unfortunately the Westbrook trade backfired pretty heavily and they're going to be hurting to try and improve their team going forward.

Or, they don't draft at all. Their use of their first round picks around Harden has been to put current NBA talent around him while they have a title window open with Harden in his prime. That 2018 team easily could have been a title team had they not run into a historically great Warriors team.

And while the Westbrook trade reeks of ownership interference, their general plan has been the correct one. When you have a top 5 player on your team in his prime, the goal should be to up your championship odds and not wait for a rookie to develop. Unfortunately the Westbrook trade backfired pretty heavily and they're going to be hurting to try and improve their team going forward.
problem is that we are not getting those type of players here. So he’s most likely going to have to draft well and hit on non blockbuster deals