VLADE GONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Harry Giles front... His defensive awareness is notoriously bad. He can scrap a bit but isn’t great in one-on-one settings either. Is he a guy who’s weakness could be covered by a complimentary player? Like a JaVale McGee type? Someone bouncy and athletic. Instead he always seemed next to someone slow, groundbound and also unable to protect the rim, which magnified his weakness on that end. Funny enough we might have that guy, a hopefully healthy fast double jumping madman like Bagley maybe?

I do think he has potential to get better on that end but there’s obviously a long way to go, and helping cover his weaknesses with complimentary players would be a step in the right direction.
Yeah I'm not really sure how to evaluate Giles on the defensive end. He seemed ok in the Feb-March stint where he was starting and getting consistent run, but the numbers didn't back that up. And really in the rest of his career, his playing time has been jostled around so much it's hard to get a good read on him. Offensively though, there's been more than enough flashes that shows he can be a starting caliber player.

I do think that's a big issue with Bagley as well. He hasn't been good at all defensively, but we have yet to get like a good 2 month stretch where he's on the court for 30+ minutes to evaluate. It's always been him coming back from injury or coming off the bench.

Regardless though, I clearing the decks for Giles to get playing time would be the way to keep him around. I imagine wherever he goes, he's looking at a spot to get real playing time to cash out in 2021 with a bigger pay-day. If he loves Sacramento the way he says he does and Holmes, Bjelica etc are gone, I'd believe he'd be back.

Vivek Ranadive Wanted To Give Joe Dumars Final Say In Partnership With Vlade Divac

Vlade Divac had no intention of stepping down as general manager of the Sacramento Kings as he flew out of Orlando at the end of their season.

Sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic that Divac had a phone conversation with Vivek Ranadive on Friday morning about the future of the front office. Ranadive suggested Joe Dumars assume a larger role and be given final say on the roster with him working side by side with Divac.

Divac will be paid the remainder of his contract though 22-23.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1985094

Sounds like fired to me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Vivek Ranadive Wanted To Give Joe Dumars Final Say In Partnership With Vlade Divac

Vlade Divac had no intention of stepping down as general manager of the Sacramento Kings as he flew out of Orlando at the end of their season.

Sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic that Divac had a phone conversation with Vivek Ranadive on Friday morning about the future of the front office. Ranadive suggested Joe Dumars assume a larger role and be given final say on the roster with him working side by side with Divac.

Divac will be paid the remainder of his contract though 22-23.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=415&t=1985094

Sounds like fired to me.
So much for stepping down. I take back my “at least he did the right thing” praise. Smh kick all the rocks Vlade.

Yeah I'm not really sure how to evaluate Giles on the defensive end. He seemed ok in the Feb-March stint where he was starting and getting consistent run, but the numbers didn't back that up. And really in the rest of his career, his playing time has been jostled around so much it's hard to get a good read on him. Offensively though, there's been more than enough flashes that shows he can be a starting caliber player.

I do think that's a big issue with Bagley as well. He hasn't been good at all defensively, but we have yet to get like a good 2 month stretch where he's on the court for 30+ minutes to evaluate. It's always been him coming back from injury or coming off the bench.

Regardless though, I clearing the decks for Giles to get playing time would be the way to keep him around. I imagine wherever he goes, he's looking at a spot to get real playing time to cash out in 2021 with a bigger pay-day. If he loves Sacramento the way he says he does and Holmes, Bjelica etc are gone, I'd believe he'd be back.
yeah, I imagine it’s difficult for anyone to say how Harry will develop with the small sample we've been given. One thing though is he’s a potential feel good story for a team and fan base that desperately needs one. Hope it works out.

Hinkie's asset collection was phenomenal, true. Other GMs had done similar things, but Hinkie basically took that philosophy to the extreme. Asset collection is great - but you have to draft well, too. And I think that's where Hinkie did not shine. But hey - if he learned from his poor draft choices and gets some great scouts...sure give him another shot.
No Hinkie is perfect and he’s why the nba doesn’t want him back. He knows you either a top 5 team or a top 5 bottom team Anything else and you’re just playing yourself. He knows you need superstar players to win so you take the highest ceiling player regardless of need or position until you hit on them.

Hinkie's process lead to finding 2 of the best young players in the league, one of the top role players in the NBA in Covington and the best accumulation of draft capital in NBA history. Not his fault his amazing work got botched by the GM's after him. Even still, the Sixers have been a 50+ win team the last 2-3 years.
And that dumbass GM decided to surround his best two players with non shooters that play the same position. You couldn’t do a worse job if you tried.

This. Unless Kenny Atkinson gets a burning desire to move to the Central Valley for some reason, there is literally no reason to rush the coaching decision before discussing things with the new GM.
Honestyl who cares, Giles won’t be a needle mover at best he’s the first big off the bench in a winning team. We’re worrying about him to much he’ll never be a starting level player unless he’s commanding a tank

So much for stepping down. I take back my “at least he did the right thing” praise. Smh kick all the rocks Vlade.
We agree on nearly 100% of things but this won’t be one of them. Your cool with your idiotic boss brining in someone and telling you he has final say? You wouldn’t expect it either and we’re ****ed if it’s true cause we’re not winning with that dumbass Vivek

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I gotta say, if you told me I could have a beer with either Vlade Divac or George Karl, I'd pick Vlade Divac 10 times out of 10 - but on the 10th time I'd fake out George Karl and tell him I was having the beer with him instead just so I could kick him in the groin on my way to having that beer with Vlade.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We agree on nearly 100% of things but this won’t be one of them. Your cool with your idiotic boss brining in someone and telling you he has final say? You wouldn’t expect it either and we’re ****ed if it’s true cause we’re not winning with that dumbass Vivek
When you’ve proven complete and utter incompetence every step along the way, yeah you take your demotion and be grateful.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised how little I care at this point. We already jumped the shark two years ago. Letting Vlade fire Dave Joerger and hire "his guy" without an interview only to force Vlade out a year later and stick us with yet another lameduck head coach only registers as more of the same. If Vivek really wants to turn the corner and move in the direction of front office competance he needs to get a difference maker in the coaching spot and a GM who can tailor the roster to fit the system.

The Knicks already hired Tom Thibodeau and the Pacers just extended Nate McMillan. There's no one else out there I'm particular excited about as a Luke Walton replacement. We have some interesting pieces for a GM to work with but none of that really matters as long as we still have Walton. We're just wasting another year of these player's careers. Wake me up in 2021 and we'll see.

EDIT: For those of you who want Sam Hinkie, I hope you realize that the NBA changed the draft rules because of what he did so it won't work again. His talent evaluation was subpar. If he does want to go for round 2 I think he would do better in MLB where you can basically get away with whatever you want.

Also, Brick where you at?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd love to see the Kings interview some candidates from the likes of the Heat, Thunder and Jazz front offices as well as the ones mentioned. Especially the Heat, they constantly find a way to draft well regardless of position and if they rebuild, it's not for very long before they are back in the postseason.

When you’ve proven complete and utter incompetence every step along the way, yeah you take your demotion and be grateful.
nobody wants to be told how to do their job, but come on Vlade. Such a display of poor decisions yet sounds like Vivek even gave Vlade an option to stay on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So is the hate gonna stop? It's really gotten beyond old, SLAB. You got your wish. He's gone. The horse is truly dead. I think you can put down the whip now.

There's gonna be a new GM and most likely a lot of other changes ... again. I truly hope it works out better but I'm not holding my breath. For me, luckily, my eternal optimism and never-ending love of the team will carry me through as it has for years. What are you gonna do without your hatred of Vlade?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So is the hate gonna stop? It's really gotten beyond old, SLAB. You got your wish. He's gone. The horse is truly dead. I think you can put dow the whip now.
When it’s not a Vlade thread, yes it will. But we’re in a Vlade thread, and his shortcomings as a GM will continue to come up. Sorry.

That said, I’ll (mostly) bow from the thread. I’ve said my piece.

Last edited:
I gotta say, if you told me I could have a beer with either Vlade Divac or George Karl, I'd pick Vlade Divac 10 times out of 10 - but on the 10th time I'd fake out George Karl and tell him I was having the beer with him instead just so I could kick him in the groin on my way to having that beer with Vlade.
We're not having beers though, we're trying to win basketball games. If it's beers you want I know a guy who comes along with some pretty slick PowerPoint slides too

Hinkie's process lead to finding 2 of the best young players in the league, one of the top role players in the NBA in Covington and the best accumulation of draft capital in NBA history. Not his fault his amazing work got botched by the GM's after him. Even still, the Sixers have been a 50+ win team the last 2-3 years.
yes but Hinke’s drafting was not great and the new lottery model makes it less likely to be successful. We need someone from teams that have done a good job evaluating talent. Indiana, Toronto, San Antonio and Utah come to mind. Dumar’s damm well better not get the job.

Hinkie's asset collection was phenomenal, true. Other GMs had done similar things, but Hinkie basically took that philosophy to the extreme. Asset collection is great - but you have to draft well, too. And I think that's where Hinkie did not shine. But hey - if he learned from his poor draft choices and gets some great scouts...sure give him another shot.
Hinkie’s asset collection was partly the result of Vlade. Vlade isn’t part of the league anymore.

Let's be honest. There are few guys out there today who understand the defensive game as well as Doug Christie. Don't dismiss the idea just because he was part of THE TEAM.
To be honest, Doug isn’t even the best color analyst in the organization. Kayte is significantly better in giving insight and should replace Doug.

Finally this dumb ass is gone. Called it at the 76er's trade. ****ed us up for almost 20 years starting from the ball to Horry. Still another dumb ass Vivek is in charge, let's hope we could end the playoff drought before the 20 year mark.

Nobody here would actually stomach what Hinkie did and I am dead certain they would torpedo all his misses for every make. Maybe 3 years of tanking but not 5-7. Incidentally we'd crucify him for having Embiid who was injured alarmingly often during his first few seasons.

I can live with selling off some assets and building with Fox and hopefully Bagley gets his injuries under control and shows what he has shown when healthy. It's clear that everything we closed 2019 on is completely out the window and frankly we may as well throw next year away since there's a good chance 2/3rds the season will be played in empty arenas.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We're not having beers though, we're trying to win basketball games. If it's beers you want I know a guy who comes along with some pretty slick PowerPoint slides too
I mean, my point is that neither of those dudes is going to be involved in helping us win games anymore. But it isn't like Karl did us any good in his tenure, either. So if Karl's going to, post facto, try to light up Vlade pretty much pot-kettle-black style, I feel perfectly fine pointing out that I believe Vlade is a far, far, better person than Karl.

Status
Not open for further replies.