Kings Rumors: Bogdan Bogdanovic Offer Sheets Will Be Matched in Free Agency

You can only keep one. Which one do you choose?

• Total voters
B

Bleacher Report

The Sacramento Kings reportedly don't intend to let Bogdan Bogdanovic leave as a restricted free agent this offseason. Per The Athletic's Jason Jones, re-signing Bogdanovic is a "top priority," and the Kings intend to match any offer sheet he might receive from another organization. This comes despite rumblings that he might've been on the trade block before the Feb. 6 deadline.

Continue reading...

Isn’t this why it was rumored that buddy would want out. Either way bogi wound be offered a ridiculous amount so I’d match regardless

Bogi is a keeper and the only knock I and most of us have is his time spent playing in the off season. At 27 he is reaching a point in his career he needs to get a decent contract . And if we give him the money I would hope he will reduce his play in Europe with the Olympic Games being the accepted exception.

I have always liked his style of play as long as he doesn’t try to hog the ball and play against his strengths. What’s not to like with his game, can post up smaller players, has great sneaky moves in the lane, can handle the ball and distribute to a ok degree and you can’t leave him open from the outside.

Yes buddy is a scorer but he is better coming off the bench at this time. If all that’s bothering him is that fact he not only is not a team player but over estimates what he brings with the questionable decisions he makes too many times for the good of the team.

With our growing strength at many positions having someone like Buddy come off the bench I actually believe it helps his game by going against the opponents bench for a good portion of the game. It’s not a lot of teams that can do that.

Bogi has matured as a player, which I had seen the need for, and expected would happen. It's a great thing so see a player grow like that. Who has skills, drive, guts, and then applies all that skillfully. That's really when a player can excel. He has "retiring in Sacramento" written all over him. He has the heart of a champion, and that is an element we need as we avenge 2001. God bless Bogdan Bogdonavic.

What’s really great about this break is that our players will be healthy. They were all dealing with so many different injuries, it was getting to be scary

Obviously there’s nothing good about people dying and falling ill, so i don’t want anyone to misconstrue this post. I hate the reasons we’re on this break, of course.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
What’s really great about this break is that our players will be healthy. They were all dealing with so many different injuries, it was getting to be scary

Obviously there’s nothing good about people dying and falling ill, so i don’t want anyone to misconstrue this post. I hate the reasons we’re on this break, of course.
I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. I would guess the same thing goes for players in many sports - gives the body some R&R time.

yeah Covid might be the only thing that forces Bogdan to take a break and let his body rest and recover. Bogi taking a summer off is a silver lining in an otherwise awful spring.

I think the Kings have to say they’re going to match any offer. Well that’s has to be the plan until he gets priced out of our market. Who really knows what the future holds in regards to what’s happening around the world and salary’s.

But let’s say things stay the same and do the Kings really want to max out 2 guys that play basically the same position for most of their minutes on the floor. I know max out has two different ceilings for those players but I will find it hard to think when Fox comes up to get paid that we will have 4 contracts taking up a majority of the salary.

Did or do we get ourselves into another potential salary cap hell? I have no problem with that if we are a decent playoff bound team.
What I do see us doing is trying to get Bogi signed up like we did for Barnes and hopefully for something reasonable.

What I actually would like and this is just my opinion is trade off Buddy and use that money for hopefully a few more players like we have in Holmes and Len. With some left over to sign Fox to what ever he will be getting after next season which is like almost a year away.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings have to say they’re going to match any offer. Well that’s has to be the plan until he gets priced out of our market. Who really knows what the future holds in regards to what’s happening around the world and salary’s.

But let’s say things stay the same and do the Kings really want to max out 2 guys that play basically the same position for most of their minutes on the floor. I know max out has two different ceilings for those players but I will find it hard to think when Fox comes up to get paid that we will have 4 contracts taking up a majority of the salary.

Did or do we get ourselves into another potential salary cap hell? I have no problem with that if we are a decent playoff bound team.
What I do see us doing is trying to get Bogi signed up like we did for Barnes and hopefully for something reasonable.

What I actually would like and this is just my opinion is trade off Buddy and use that money for hopefully a few more players like we have in Holmes and Len. With some left over to sign Fox to what ever he will be getting after next season which is like almost a year away.
I think you've sort of answered your own question. If the Kings plan to trade Buddy, then they have to match any offer for Bogi. Bogi is far more skilled than Buddy, who is a one trick pony. He's really really good at that one trick though. Overall, Bogi is the consummate team player. Buddy is more about Buddy. Pains me to say that.

I think you've sort of answered your own question. If the Kings plan to trade Buddy, then they have to match any offer for Bogi. Bogi is far more skilled than Buddy, who is a one trick pony. He's really really good at that one trick though. Overall, Bogi is the consummate team player. Buddy is more about Buddy. Pains me to say that.
I agree Buddy is more about Buddy. I really don’t want to see this turn into a bash Buddy thread but unfortunately I see it’s hard for him not to be part of the conversation. My only comment about Buddy is I find it disappointing how he handled the pay me or trade me. and then soon after starting complaining about getting moved to the bench and I will stop there.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I'm pretty sure they're saying exactly what they mean. While some fans may get frustrated with Bogs, I don't think the same holds true for management. If push comes to shove, I see Buddy being moved...as my dear friend bajaden points out, Buddy is more of a one trick pony while Bogs can and does bring a more rounded skillset to the table.

I'm pretty sure they're saying exactly what they mean. While some fans may get frustrated with Bogs, I don't think the same holds true for management. If push comes to shove, I see Buddy being moved...as my dear friend bajaden points out, Buddy is more of a one trick pony while Bogs can and does bring a more rounded skillset to the table.
It's a hell of a trick though

Which begs the question...What does Vlade have in mind? A team with one-trick ponies or a team with players whose rounded skillsets mesh together with the total being better than merely the sum of the parts? My guess is it's the latter.
It's not Vlade's call Vivek only has eyes for Buddy.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm hot and cold on Bogi, but that's what happens when you have a player who shoots lights out one game and puts up 1/9 from the field the next two. He was rolling as a starter though.

I think he takes a lot of really dumb shots. Like, maddeningly dumb shots.

OTOH, he tends to do a waaaaay better job of taking care of the ball than our other SG. I don't know his ast/TO ratio off tops (and I'm too lazy to look it up), they don't stand out with Bogs, who does a lot of ball handling, I feel like he usually just has 1 or 2 a game.

And, as others have said, he's way more versatile than Buckets.

Ah shoot, I just sold myself on him.

I mean....

https://www.basketball-reference.co...ield&y2=2020&player_id2=hieldbu01&idx=players

Once again, people are out of touch with reality with Buddy. He and Buddy virtually had the same exact season:. Buddy was the better rebounder, they both protected the ball well, Bogi was the slightly better playmaker (not close to the gap some of you want to make). Both bad on defense, but Bogi is "better" if you want to call it that.

Both are valuable players, but I'm taking Buddy if i'm forced to choose one. He and Bogi are very similar players, but you get top 5 floor spacing from Buddy, which is an absolute necessity with this team building around Bagley and Fox.

I mean....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Bogdan+Bogdanović&player_id1_select=Bogdan+Bogdanović&y1=2020&player_id1=bogdabo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Buddy+Hield&player_id2_select=Buddy+Hield&y2=2020&player_id2=hieldbu01&idx=players

Once again, people are out of touch with reality with Buddy. He and Buddy virtually had the same exact season:. Buddy was the better rebounder, they both protected the ball well, Bogi was the slightly better playmaker (not close to the gap some of you want to make). Both bad on defense, but Bogi is "better" if you want to call it that.

Both are valuable players, but I'm taking Buddy if i'm forced to choose one. He and Bogi are very similar players, but you get top 5 floor spacing from Buddy, which is an absolute necessity with this team building around Bagley and Fox.
FACTS!

Which begs the question...What does Vlade have in mind? A team with one-trick ponies or a team with players whose rounded skillsets mesh together with the total being better than merely the sum of the parts? My guess is it's the latter.
Hold the phone, a couple drafts ago Vlade prioritized and picked the one trick pony over the two players that had the more rounded skillsets, but i digress. Picking a one trick pony for your core isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hell, that's the makeup of a few playoff teams outside of their stars. And if you do have a good team with a lot of dynamic players then they're usually elite or very, very good in one or two areas and solid in most of the rest. Our guys outside of Fox and Buddy with his one elite skill are basically average at best when it comes to everything.

Throw your B-list star with your Bogdans and Barneses who are average at everything starters and your prospect who right now doesn't help you win and watch the ho-hum, treadmill seasons roll on by.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I mean....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Bogdan+Bogdanović&player_id1_select=Bogdan+Bogdanović&y1=2020&player_id1=bogdabo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Buddy+Hield&player_id2_select=Buddy+Hield&y2=2020&player_id2=hieldbu01&idx=players

People aren't out of touch with reality. They simply have diametrically opposed opinions of Buddy and his value to the Kings. There are few players in Kings history (Peja comes to mind) where there was so much dissension in the ranks over their value to the TEAM. Buddy IMHO is not anywhere near as good at court vision. Bogs is (also IMHO) much better at accepting whatever role Walton decides to place him in. Buddy Buckets is fun to watch; regular Buddy not so much.

They both protected the ball well? Whoa...well, I guess my old eyes/memory deceive me because I certainly don't agree with that. In addition, (and again with the IMHO disclaimer) I don't recall Bogs making anywhere near as dumb mistakes at critical times as Buddy does.

Bottom line, though, is we don't need both players and I think we'd get more for our money by moving Buddy with less impact on the post-Hield Kings.

Buddy is pretty good at what he does and his game is much better as a shooter. I do also believe our star players need to be on the floor in crunch time and if Fox is available he should have the ball in his hands.

There are certain players who I dread being in the game at the end when we are protecting a lead and that certainly puts Buddy at the top of my list. It must put the coach in bad position when he can’t trust a player when he gets pressured and doesn’t have the ability to make the right decisions part of the time.

Sure we can pick games where he does good things and many where he doesn’t. For example Buddy should of been on the floor when we needed a 3 point shot so for whatever reason that was on Walton. Then another time I actually cringed when we needed to put team away and he passed up a layup to burn the clock which was a great move on his part.

We need him on the court to open up spacing and his ability to shoot free throws is tops but for him to be dependable he needs to learn not to cost us games with his wild passes and letting himself get trapped.

People aren't out of touch with reality. They simply have diametrically opposed opinions of Buddy and his value to the Kings. There are few players in Kings history (Peja comes to mind) where there was so much dissension in the ranks over their value to the TEAM. Buddy IMHO is not anywhere near as good at court vision. Bogs is (also IMHO) much better at accepting whatever role Walton decides to place him in. Buddy Buckets is fun to watch; regular Buddy not so much.

They both protected the ball well? Whoa...well, I guess my old eyes/memory deceive me because I certainly don't agree with that. In addition, (and again with the IMHO disclaimer) I don't recall Bogs making anywhere near as dumb mistakes at critical times as Buddy does.

Bottom line, though, is we don't need both players and I think we'd get more for our money by moving Buddy with less impact on the post-Hield Kings.
I mean yeah. You're disregarding what they actually did on the court (that scary word called "stats"). If that's not out of touch with reality, I don't know what is.

Fact is, similar TOV rate, similar assist rate, similar rebound rate, similar efficiency this past season. Bogi is better on defense, sure, but I wouldn't call him good either. Buddy is the superior floor spacer.

You've made it well-known you don't value any numbers in the slightest. Which is cool, root for the team the way you want. But you can't make claims like Bogi is more valuable than Buddy without bringing something factual to the argument.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I mean yeah. You're disregarding what they actually did on the court (that scary word called "stats"). If that's not out of touch with reality, I don't know what is.

Fact is, similar TOV rate, similar assist rate, similar rebound rate, similar efficiency this past season. Bogi is better on defense, sure, but I wouldn't call him good either. Buddy is the superior floor spacer.

You've made it well-known you don't value any numbers in the slightest. Which is cool, root for the team the way you want. But you can't make claims like Bogi is more valuable than Buddy without bringing something factual to the argument.
So it's your way or the highway? Cool... I tried to make a point and be diplomatic at the same time. You choose another direction - apparently so anxious to disagree with me that you didn't even bother to read or try and understand the point I was making. Stats AREN'T everything. Lots of fans judge with their eyes without things like TOV rate, assist rate, etc. and they seem to be able to grasp the game and judge for themselves which player is more valuable.

So it's your way or the highway? Cool... I tried to make a point and be diplomatic at the same time. You choose another direction - apparently so anxious to disagree with me that you didn't even bother to read or try and understand the point I was making. Stats AREN'T everything. Lots of fans judge with their eyes without things like TOV rate, assist rate, etc. and they seem to be able to grasp the game and judge for themselves which player is more valuable.
LOL. Rich.

Stats are something though. And when I post their respective seasons, they're pretty much identical. And you're here telling me that Bogi is way better at this and that because your eyes say so. Why would I believe your eyes when they directly contradict what's statistically happening on the court? How does that make any sense at all?

You're doing the exact same thing in reverse. I posted their basic stat lines from this season and formed an opinion based on that and you disregarded it because it contradicts your own biased conceived notions about a player because of your own eye balls. Not going to apologize for believing stats and math over your eyes.

btw, I've stated this multiple times throughout the years that stats and eye test need to go hand in hand. If something looks wonky in the stat line and it's not showing up on the court, something's off. Same if I'm seeing something on the court, I want to go look at the numbers to back up that assumption. You stating that Bogi protected the ball better than Buddy just isn't reality. And that's the major fault with relying solely on eye test; it's impossible to process and remember all the information that happens in an NBA game, much less thousands of NBA minutes.

Again, I don't care how you judge things or watch the games or who you root for; be whatever kind of fan you want. But on a discussion board about the Kings, I'm going to call out assumptions and takes that aren't true and don't have legs to stand on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
LOL. Rich.

Stats are something though. And when I post their respective seasons, they're pretty much identical. And you're here telling me that Bogi is way better at this and that because your eyes say so. Why would I believe your eyes when they directly contradict what's statistically happening on the court? How does that make any sense at all?

You're doing the exact same thing in reverse. I posted their basic stat lines from this season and formed an opinion based on that and you disregarded it because it contradicts your own biased conceived notions about a player because of your own eye balls. Not going to apologize for believing stats and math over your eyes.

btw, I've stated this multiple times throughout the years that stats and eye test need to go hand in hand. If something looks wonky in the stat line and it's not showing up on the court, something's off. Same if I'm seeing something on the court, I want to go look at the numbers to back up that assumption. You stating that Bogi protected the ball better than Buddy just isn't reality. And that's the major fault with relying solely on eye test; it's impossible to process and remember all the information that happens in an NBA game, much less thousands of NBA minutes.

Again, I don't care how you judge things or watch the games or who you root for; be whatever kind of fan you want. But on a discussion board about the Kings, I'm going to call out assumptions and takes that aren't true and don't have legs to stand on.
LOL. Rude.

Have a nice night. But for the record? You calling out assumptions and takes "that aren't true" doesn't make them false. But, as you say, this is a discussion board. You have every right to your opinion and I have right to mine. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

okay but if you are going to cite stats.

Assist to turnover ratio
Bogdan. 1.9
Buddy. 1.31

Defensive Field Goal percent
Bogdan. 43.5%. -1.2. ( lower than average)
Buddy. 50.2%. +5.5. (Higher than average)

Effective Field Goal Percentage
Bogdan. 54.1
Buddy. 54.4

yes Buddy is the better rebounder and I want to have both on his team....
Buddy. 7.4%
Bogi. 5.6%

I voted Bogi this time. For most of their tenure here I resisted making a choice - thinking either that they could play together and why choose or acknowledging that as my feelings for each tended to fluctuate whatever choice I made was unlikely to be definitive. What has changed for me? The arrival of Bazemore makes keeping both a lot more difficult/ possibly untenable. Also, although Buddy was great off the bench, his limitations seemed more obvious in Luke's system than they did in Dave's system, and I don't believe that after essentially having a starting role, offensive green light, and relatively little defensive accountability under Dave that Buddy seemed all that keen to take 10 steps back in importance under Luke without a playoff appearance to soften the blow.

I would be more wary if actually making a decision. I think that while the contribution from players like Bazemore and Holmes suggest that what the Kings have been missing is more defensive than offensive, perhaps Buddy is one part of the reason we haven't missed anything offensively. Buddy has one of the best 3 point shots in the NBA right now, he moves well, plays hard, rebounds, and always seems in shape. Bogi does sometimes appear inconsistent, misses games, and plays for two teams throughout the year. At the trade deadline, several NBA reporters provided glowing reviews of Bogi, having convinced themselves that their favourite team (Boston?) was going to acquire him by giving up not much. It is possible that these positive reviews entered my subconscious.

I do think that Buddy could fetch a decent return on the market. At the time of the DC trade he was potential with a question mark. Now he is a proven offensive commodity and 3 point champion. That might not translate into a pre-injury DC level player, but a team that wanted to add Buddy would need to provide something of substantial value in return.