NFL SuperBowl LIV - 2/2/2020

Who wins Super Bowl LIV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This one hurts. Big time.

the offense and coach shannahan are taking a beating on many Bay Area post game shows. The stats are brutal. After that 2nd interception the 49er offense completely stalled. They gacked away a super bowl and it’s gonna sting for a long time. Steve young hammered their offensive play calling int the 4th. All the niners needed was an extended series after that 2nd int. Point would have put the game away. They didn’t target KITTLE. They went away from the run. The niners offensive and coaching staff choked away a super bowl.

I thought the offensive PI at the end of the first half was one of the softest things I've ever seen.
I don’t see it that way. It was the right call. I believe you see it as ‘soft’ because they, unfortunately, don’t consistently call those the way they should. So from that angle, I understand the frustration.

But he pushed off for a reason. Because it helped him gain separation. Like a sling shot. Gave him a boost while slowing the defender. Without it, the defender may have disrupted the throw. When both players are running full speed like that, the slightest bump makes a huge difference.

Imagine two sprinters running a race and one did what Kittle did to the other. Or if one suddenly hit a 10 mph head win while the other didn’t. You don’t think it would create the difference? And that wasn’t a bump, it was an extended push. IMO it needed to be called for the integrity of the game.

I was peeved watching the College National Title game last month because LSU’s first TD came on essentially the same play. Ja’Marr Chase got away with a subtle push off that suddenly gave him 2 yards of separation. Wasn’t called. But should have been.

I just wish they called it more often. But you know the NFL, they love their scoring.

refs were bad... how does jimmy miss that throw to Sanders though
Refs are always bad. No news there. I always say that sports games are most often decided by what the officials call and don’t call and when.

A great snapshot example from this game was the 4th and 10 play where the play clock expired. Ref looked like he was gonna call it but didn’t.

If he does, the Niners would have had another chance. Who knows what they do with it? Then imagine if they had converted and scored to win the game? It shouldn’t have counted. But would have helped decide the outcome.

And there are a myriad of plays just like it. Fans tend to look at what they do call rather than what they don’t call. But those have more impact.

In the LSU-Clemson game, Clemson was called for targeting on a questionable play that resulted in ejection of a key defensive player. A little later on, LSU got away with a huge hit to the back of a defenseless player in mid air.

Later on, Clemson had a TD pass called back for a push off that wasn’t as severe as the one LSU got away with on their first score.

Those decisions decide games. And they happen in every sport and in every game. Which is one of many reasons the better team doesn’t always win.

Regarding the Jimmy G throw, I agree. The play was there to be made and he missed it. It’s among the reasons I’ve been telling my Niner fan friends he’s not an elite QB. He’s merely an average to good one IMO.

IMO, he’s not a guy that’s going to put the team on his back and make plays when the opposition knows he needs to sling it time after time. He needs the threat of the run game and play action. If he’s just dropping back play after play, he’s not that good.

Mahomes would have connected on that throw. But he’s arguably the best in the league right now.

Last edited:
I thought the offensive PI at the end of the first half was one of the softest things I've ever seen but aside from that I don't see much for anyone to hang their hats on.

One of the people where I was watching called the game turning on the 2nd and 5 play where they passed (5 mins remaining). My opinion at the time was there was too much time on the clock to even worry about keeping the ball from Mahomes and a TD was needed on that drive so who cares, but the fact that they then realistically had to pass on 3rd as well and failed to convert did in fact seal their fate.

The final 7 points was meaningless and frankly, they had to let them score just to get the ball back, so "21 points in 6 mins" is a meaningless stat. It was the first 14 that mattered. And they failed to get stops when it mattered most. Oh well.

No shame and I expect this Niners team to be here again soon.
i guarantee they don’t call that on kelce with the golden boy throwing to him absolutely absurd. Add the offsides that everyone saw to go along with the late hit on Jimmy on the same play

i guarantee they don’t call that on kelce with the golden boy throwing to him absolutely absurd. Add the offsides that everyone saw to go along with the late hit on Jimmy on the same play
You might be right. Probably are. I refer to my post above.

Honestly, I feel like a lot of these marquee pro sports are orchestrated as much as possible to get certain matchups and for “good story” teams to win.

I felt the Astros got more than a fair share of beneficial calls and noncalls because they were a “good story” in the wake of the Hurricane and the fact that SI had predicted them to win years earlier.

I thought LSU was the “feel good” story playing in their own backyard with a one-year wonder, 5th year senior QB and loveable loser teddy bear head coach. They got a lot of questionable calls their last 3-4 games.

KC today was a great story in that they won their only SB exactly 50 years ago and were playing in the 100th anniversary game. They had a perennially postseason loser HC and the new age marquee QB.

Don‘t be surprised if the LA LeBron’s get every break this NBA postseason in what will assuredly be the ultimate “feel good” story given the tragedy that happened last Sunday.

I wasn’t rooting for SF today but was rooting for ATL against the Patriots. I fully agree with that tweet.

Shanahan doesn’t know how to call a game with a lead. His situational play calling in Super Bowls has proven to be awful.

Calling pass plays that have higher possibility for negative plays. And in both cases, his teams had capable rush attacks. In the Niners case, they had a near dominant rush attack.

I get wanting to play aggressively, but there are times when it’s not called for. Or even if you do, it’s possible to be aggressive while still running plays that don’t have a high possibility of losing yardage or resulting in a turnover.

For example, if you’re gonna throw it in order to catch the defense expecting the run off guard, it doesn’t have to be a deep drop. How about shorter, higher completion percentage type throws? How about a bootleg with a run pass option? Or how about seeing if an average defense can stop your near dominant rush attack???

I thought Shanahan had it figured out finally after watching the NFC Championship game. IIRC the Niners had around 8 pass attempts the entire 2nd half and choked the Packers out with Mostert.

I guess not.

Holy crap George Kittle was blocking on that 4th and 10 not running a route. The **** is Kyle thinking

You might be right. Probably are. I refer to my post above.

Honestly, I feel like a lot of these marquee pro sports are orchestrated as much as possible to get certain matchups and for “good story” teams to win.

I felt the Astros got more than a fair share of beneficial calls and noncalls because they were a “good story” in the wake of the Hurricane and the fact that SI had predicted them to win years earlier.

I thought LSU was the “feel good” story playing in their own backyard with a one-year wonder, 5th year senior QB and loveable loser teddy bear head coach. They got a lot of questionable calls their last 3-4 games.

KC today was a great story in that they won their only SB exactly 50 years ago and were playing in the 100th anniversary game. They had a perennially postseason loser HC and the new age marquee QB.

Don‘t be surprised if the LA LeBron’s get every break this NBA postseason in what will assuredly be the ultimate “feel good” story given the tragedy that happened last Sunday.
I hate KC like no other with this media worship of Mahomes. The refs tried there hardest last year to give the the afc on the title game, this year they took no chance and made sure they gave them the regular season taking TDS away from us

Holy crap George Kittle was blocking on that 4th and 10 not running a route. The **** is Kyle thinking

I hate KC like no other with this media worship of Mahomes. The refs tried there hardest last year to give the the afc on the title game, this year they took no chance and made sure they gave them the regular season taking TDS away from us
You mean when Dee Ford jumped offside on 4th down to give the Patriots another chance??

Perhaps there’s a Dee Ford curse......

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Shanahan went full Super Bowl Shanahan and Jimmy G proved all the doubters right. I’d love to think “oh they’ll be fine” but there’s a far more likely chance they are the Rams of 2020 and JimmyG doesn’t take another step because he’s going into his age 29 season and they faceplant with expectations. Also the Shanahan chokes thing is really real now.

Last edited:
Shanahan went full Super Bowl Shanahan and Jimmy G proved all the doubters right. I’d love to think “oh they’ll be fine” but there’s a far more likely chance they are the Rams of 2020 and JimmyG doesn’t take another step because he’s going into his age 29 season and they faceplant with expectations. Also the Shanahan chokes thing is really real now.
And then to hear shannahan after the game, explaining away going into his shell before the half and saying jimmy g had a good game, he def has a stubborn streak.
7:19 to go in the game and the niners are up by 10, the odds that they win were slightly over 96%. The only other super bowl loss with higher odds was the falcons vs the patriots at 99%. Painful.

For three and a half quarters the 49ers did everything right. The Chiefs passing attack was neutralized, the defense was forcing turnovers, Jimmy was as efficienct and accurate as he's ever been. I'm not going to let 7 minutes of bad football spoil the entirety of the season for me. You can second guess everything when you know the end result. Why bother? It was a great game and it came down to one last drive. Jimmy G puts that ball in Sanders' hands and we're the ones celebrating today. Tough to swallow but that's just how it is. I'm still proud as hell of everything the team accomplished this season.

I mean he did actually jump off sides come to think of it I’m suprised they called it
I know Chiefs fans cried a river about that but isn't offside one of the penalties along with 12 men on the field that is subject to review? It's not a judgement call. Like the PI or holding that sustained their dying drive before... I do think Mahomes has been given favorable treatment at times in his young career but really yesterday was a case of the team losing it in the end. Definitely a few questionable play calls but they're only questioned because they didn't pan out. The guy saying "run on 2nd down dammit" my initial reaction was "but that's obvious they'll stuff it". Everyone is right in hindsight.

But don't worry, because they will be back.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Niners are more likely to be the Rams of 2020 than be back. To faceplant with expectations and a target on their back. Especially if someone else signs Armstead.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I certainly understand the disappointment but I just can't see them doing the Rams.
It’ll be a happy medium. They won’t be as average as the Rams were (probably) but they won’t be the team they were this year. No surprises anymore and a target on their back. Good but not good enough.

It’ll be a happy medium. They won’t be as average as the Rams were (probably) but they won’t be the team they were this year. No surprises anymore and a target on their back. Good but not good enough.
I'll give you that maybe teams will circle the date on the calendar but I do not think they surprised or caught anyone off guard this year either. And to some extent the fact that Shanny is being made into the goat for 2 superbowl losses may benefit them vs. everyone acting like Sean McVay just reinvented football. I think they have at least a 3-4 year window left to win 2 or more of these things.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It took Reid 2 decades and multiple teams to learn from his mistakes and win the big one. If Shanahan does it in only a few seasons he’s amazing.

And I don’t know if he’s amazing.

I know Chiefs fans cried a river about that but isn't offside one of the penalties along with 12 men on the field that is subject to review? It's not a judgement call. Like the PI or holding that sustained their dying drive before... I do think Mahomes has been given favorable treatment at times in his young career but really yesterday was a case of the team losing it in the end. Definitely a few questionable play calls but they're only questioned because they didn't pan out. The guy saying "run on 2nd down dammit" my initial reaction was "but that's obvious they'll stuff it". Everyone is right in hindsight.

But don't worry, because they will be back.
I think only PI is reviewable but if offsides it offsides is he was clearly offsides so it wouldn’t have helped. Love that Brady threw a pick too makes it that much sweeter

I think only PI is reviewable but if offsides it offsides is he was clearly offsides so it wouldn’t have helped. Love that Brady threw a pick too makes it that much sweeter
I certainly remember Belichick throwing a challenge flag on a team that had 12 men on the field and winning it but I can't find anything on offside so maybe not.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’d also like to point out; JimmyG went out there during the biggest game of his life and proved BOOGER MACFARLANE right. So that’s nice.

It took Reid 2 decades and multiple teams to learn from his mistakes and win the big one. If Shanahan does it in only a few seasons he’s amazing.

And I don’t know if he’s amazing.
He's at least amazing adjacent though. This team went from the dregs of the league to a Super Bowl runner-up in just three seasons under his leadership.

The Niners are more likely to be the Rams of 2020 than be back. To faceplant with expectations and a target on their back. Especially if someone else signs Armstead.
I think you mean the Rams of 2019... but that would be a surprise. We have some big contracts to hand out in free agency (Kittle and Buckner extensions on the table, Armstead and Ward are free agents, also Brieda, Sanders, and Moseley I believe? ) but if everyone important is back, that defense is not going to allow the team to collapse. Greenlaw, Bosa, and Samuel are rookies too and should still be getting better. If you want to go on being salty about that game all off-season, certainly you're welcome to. It was right there for the taking and they blew it and that's what history is going to remember in the end. I wouldn't write them off for 2020 just yet though. I think it's more likely they take all the experience they acquired this season and come back even better.