Bagley.

You just called him a bust already.....lol
I don't even know why I put in the time to explain the reasoning because all you're going to do is see the word bust and immediately ignore all the stats and go "bust? lol".

I could laugh at you guys for what I think is a simple minded approach in assuming that young players all get better if you just wait for them to develop. To me, that's as asinine as thinking that 20 and 10 is all it takes to become a winning player. But I don't laugh, I try to explain myself with reasoning and stats.

Why don't you post some stats on centers that have been as bad as he has defensively their first 2 years and show me that similar players can in fact turn into solid defenders and contribute to winning? Or show me teams that are good with bad defensive centers that can only score and rebound?

His numbers have bust written all over them or at the very least they have Julius Randle/Jabari Parker written all over them.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't even know why I put in the time to explain the reasoning because all you're going to do is see the word bust and immediately ignore all the stats and go "bust? lol".

I could laugh at you guys for what I think is a simple minded approach in assuming that young players all get better if you just wait for them to develop. To me, that's as asinine as thinking that 20 and 10 is all it takes to become a winning player. But I don't laugh, I try to explain myself with reasoning and stats.

Why don't you post some stats on centers that have been as bad as he has defensively their first 2 years and show me that similar players can in fact turn into solid defenders and contribute to winning? Or show me teams that are good with bad defensive centers that can only score and rebound?

His numbers have bust written all over them or at the very least they have Julius Randle/Jabari Parker written all over them.
You are correct in your first sentence......I usually like reading your posts but will just skim over this stuff.

We have seen so little of Bagley this season how can you even mention how good/bad he plays?

I would like to see him on the court for 10 games in a row to see how it goes.

I think the only thing I disagree with is Bagley's health has really given us a limited look at any potential progress he has or hasn't made. He just hasn't had a time in his career yet where we've seen a consistent 28+ MPG over a 2-3 month sample of games. That of course is an issue in itself, but I'm not going to hold fragmented numbers completely against him when he's working himself back from injuries all the time.

We'll see of course. Hopefully he can get healthy here for the final 2 months of the year so we can have some good film and sample size of games to really evaluate him on.

The fact that he has missed so many games is very disconcerting and an issue in and of itself. He hasn't been able to get into any normal rythm, so it's tough to negatively judge his stats or improvement when he can't string together even a half season.

I think the only thing I disagree with is Bagley's health has really given us a limited look at any potential progress he has or hasn't made. He just hasn't had a time in his career yet where we've seen a consistent 28+ MPG over a 2-3 month sample of games. That of course is an issue in itself, but I'm not going to hold fragmented numbers completely against him when he's working himself back from injuries all the time.

We'll see of course. Hopefully he can get healthy here for the final 2 months of the year so we can have some good film and sample size of games to really evaluate him on.
There you go. You worded this better than me.

You’re spitting facts but People will say well look at Siakam/Ingram/Giannis when there different players with different skill sets

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
are we surprised @ this point?
lf you are, you haven't been paying attention. He's in a walking boot. Maybe he shouldn't have come back so soon? Maybe just maybe they should have stuck to the rumored minutes restriction?

The Bagley snark is just depressing. He wanted to be here; I'm pretty sure he'd much rather be out there playing than sitting on the bench. IMHO he does not deserve some of the vitriol aimed in his direction.

I get the frustration, and it sucks, but we have to understand that an injured player shouldn't play. And if Bagley's in a boot, he's injured. I'm a teacher and we tell all the kids that if they're sick they need to stay home to get better and not get others sick. Is it frustrating (for both me and them) because they're missing school and falling behind? Sure, but the solution isn't to come to school anyway.

I'm sure Bagley's just as frustrated as we are that he isn't playing, but it's hard to be mad at him for not playing because he's injured. Just has to focus on recovering and getting back on the court at 100%.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: Knock it off. This is not gonna turn into another rehash of what has become more than tiresome. If some of you cannot find a way to avoid the same old same old, you will be locked out of the thread. We mods are done.

I feel very frustrated by the number of injuries Bagley has suffered and the amount of time that he has missed - both of which have likely hindered his development. This certainly isn’t Marvin’s fault, but his penchant for getting hurt as a young player just starting out in this League is worrisome to many. That having been said, MB3 is getting unfairly branded by some as a “bust” and is unjustly taking the brunt of criticism for the totality of things Kings fans are aggravated with but that he is not responsible for. Namely, being selected instead of Luka along with the general ineptitude (past and present) of this Sacramento franchise that very frequently misses on its draft picks and can’t seem to produce a winning product. Marvin deserves a reasonable window of opportunity to prove himself, so let’s support him and stop wrongly criticizing him for happenings not under his control.

Last edited:
This is the bottom line with Bagley... if Luka had been selected first overall and the Kings never had a chance to draft him, there wouldn't be anywhere near, and I mean -anywhere near- as much vitriol and criticism toward him. The current situation is a Molotov cocktail - it's a combination of Luka being a generational talent, the Kings being bad and Marvin missing a lot of time/playing a little underwhelming basketball.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I still think he has the potential to be very, very good. People want to call him a bust when the young man has barely had a chance to show what he's worth. Where he was drafted doesn't matter, he never had a say in that. Yes, Vlade missed horribly on Luka but that's not Bagley's fault. I've seen people calling him "tank commander" and all that which is so absurd it's hard to comprehend.

That said, I've been one of the most vocal members on the board in regards to injury concerns. I've said that I'm tired of his injuries, and I worry about future injuries and I stand by that. I get worried he's going to get injured every time he steps onto the court. Until he can prove otherwise that he can stay healthy, I'm not going to be able to shake this feeling.

But like I said, IF he can stay healthy he's got a shot at being a great player. Yes there's defensive and offensive concerns but his NBA career has hardly started. There's still plenty of time left to develop and build strength.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bagley wasn't this injury prone pre-NBA right?

He was already a stupid, stupid, awful pick at #2, but if he had a glassman history on top of it? Man, fire Vlade today... I'm tryna see the Kings in the playoffs before I die of old age.

Super frustrating. He flashes enough to get me excited in the 1 game out of 10 he plays.

Bagley wasn't this injury prone pre-NBA right?

He was already a stupid, stupid, awful pick at #2, but if he had a glassman history on top of it? Man, fire Vlade today... I'm tryna see the Kings in the playoffs before I die of old age.

Super frustrating. He flashes enough to get me excited in the 1 game out of 10 he plays.
He's played 10 games?

#FireMurray (and whomever demoted Mr. Youngman). We went from a team that was fully confident in our staff’s, I mean Mr. Youngman’s, ability to rehab Giles into a long term NBA career (spending a #20 pick) to a staff that cannot keep our #2 pick healthy anytime over the past two years.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kings need to just sit Bagley out the remainder of the season, honestly. Do him and the team a favor and give him much needed time to rehab, strengthen up and come back full strength in the fall of 2020