• Yes

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The most important part of pulling off a great scam is giving your victim just enough to make them believe in you.
I don't think he's fooling anyone, but it was nice to see him show up late in a game and figured I would give credit where it was due.

Dame just willed the B's to the win though. I'm not going to pretend I ever thought he'd be this good but passing him up for T-Rob will always irk me more than most of our other draft blunders (not listening to Petrie on his way out would be the biggest though).

Willie has some of the best defensive metrics in the entire league this year. Getting him for a 2nd round pick is a good haul.
Some might say getting a second rounder for wcs is a good haul. A warriors fan friend of mine was excited the beginning of the year at wcs potential and ability to defend and catch lobs for basically the vet minimum. Then a bit into the season I got the “he has no heart” “why isn’t he better?” Last night I got the “thank God wcs is gone...and we got a 2nd rounder for him”. Lol warriors went through all our emotions in half a season and 1/10 of the price. :D:p:mad:o_O:(:rolleyes:

Some might say getting a second rounder for wcs is a good haul. A warriors fan friend of mine was excited the beginning of the year at wcs potential and ability to defend and catch lobs for basically the vet minimum. Then a bit into the season I got the “he has no heart” “why isn’t he better?” Last night I got the “thank God wcs is gone...and we got a 2nd rounder for him”. Lol warriors went through all our emotions in half a season and 1/10 of the price. :D:p:mad:o_O:(:rolleyes:

Comments say it all.

Dallas fans are :)

Kings and Warriors fans are :rolleyes:

I think its Willie's demeanor, half open mouth, forward roll in the shoulders, and inexplicable contortions when trying to lay it up around the basket that turn people off. other players with similar productiion are not treated like that by the fans.

I think its Willie's demeanor, half open mouth, forward roll in the shoulders, and inexplicable contortions when trying to lay it up around the basket that turn people off. other players with similar productiion are not treated like that by the fans.
Or maybe its constantly disappearing for a few weeks at a time just to throw down one monster game? Give me an average player who you know what you're going to get on any given night over a crap shoot.

Or maybe its constantly disappearing for a few weeks at a time just to throw down one monster game? Give me an average player who you know what you're going to get on any given night over a crap shoot.
what I'm saying is that I don't think this perception is correct. here is his gamelog from last season: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/caulewi01/gamelog/2019/
what are the constant few week periods he dissapeared in separated by monster games in this game log? I just don't see it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have no idea what you're talking about. I get that you admire WCS and don't think the criticism of him is justified but it's not his "contortions when trying to lay it up" that soured fans on him. He talked the talk when he got here out of Kentucky but he just didn't walk the walk. That was/is my primary criticism.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I get that you admire WCS and don't think the criticism of him is justified but it's not his "contortions when trying to lay it up" that soured fans on him. He talked the talk when he got here out of Kentucky but he just didn't walk the walk. That was/is my primary criticism.
what I'm saying is that I think people perceive him as not trying. I think it has to do with his demeanor. For example, pdxKingsFan says that he "constantly dissapears for a few weeks separated by monster games". And this is not just pdxKingsFan, this is the majority impression of WCS. So to better understand that perception, I would like to see what are these multiple few week periods in that game log.

what I'm saying is that I don't think this perception is correct. here is his gamelog from last season: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/caulewi01/gamelog/2019/
what are the constant few week periods he dissapeared in separated by monster games in this game log? I just don't see it.
Some things just don't show up in box scores. He was here for 4 years and it was a pattern. Nobody was busting down his door trying to sign a guy who has all the physical gifts in the world to be a star. Hey I'm willing to admit my biases as a fan and the influence of other fans, but it's strange that NBA GMs were universally in agreement too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
what I'm saying is that I think people perceive him as not trying. I think it has to do with his demeanor. For example, pdxKingsFan says that he "constantly dissapears for a few weeks separated by monster games". And this is not just pdxKingsFan, this is the majority impression of WCS. So to better understand that perception, I would like to see what are these multiple few week periods in that game log.
There are things that happen on/off the court during a game that don't get caught by the cameras or in the game log. I watched him in person probably half-a-dozen times, and the one constant was that he wasn't always focused on the game. He didn't always hustle up the court, he didn't always reach for that board, etc. I know you can say that applies to a lot of players at various times, but it happened A LOT with WCS. He's the one who laid out his career plans when he got to the Kings. He said all the right things and the Kings universe embraced him with open arms. Unfortunately, as I said above, he didn't walk the walk. He stepped into DMC's shoes and fully expected to be as much as impact player as DeMarcus had been, without the skills.

You yourself say a majority of fans have the same impression of WCS. I think you need to consider that just maybe they're all correct and it's you who might be viewing him from a more kind and gentle perspective.

Nah, it's more the averaging of 8 pts and 6 rbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things just don't show up in box scores. He was here for 4 years and it was a pattern. Nobody was busting down his door trying to sign a guy who has all the physical gifts in the world to be a star. Hey I'm willing to admit my biases as a fan and the influence of other fans, but it's strange that NBA GMs were universally in agreement too.
There are things that happen on/off the court during a game that don't get caught by the cameras or in the game log. I watched him in person probably half-a-dozen times, and the one constant was that he wasn't always focused on the game. He didn't always hustle up the court, he didn't always reach for that board, etc. I know you can say that applies to a lot of players at various times, but it happened A LOT with WCS. He's the one who laid out his career plans when he got to the Kings. He said all the right things and the Kings universe embraced him with open arms. Unfortunately, as I said above, he didn't walk the walk. He stepped into DMC's shoes and fully expected to be as much as impact player as DeMarcus had been, without the skills.

You yourself say a majority of fans have the same impression of WCS. I think you need to consider that just maybe they're all correct and it's you who might be viewing him from a more kind and gentle perspective.
Sure, I concede that I could be the one that is wrong, but it seems to me that I did get confirmation that it is not his actual production, but the combination of perception of his effort and heightened expectations (both his and that of the fans) that are main determinants in the failing grade he gets..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sure, I concede that I could be the one that is wrong, but it seems to me that I did get confirmation that it is not his actual production, but the combination of perception of his effort and heightened expectations (both his and that of the fans) that are main determinants in the failing grade he gets..
At this point, I will agree to disagree and leave it at that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
here is another claim that its just the raw numbers. but his numbers last year with the Kings were 11.9 pts, 8.4 rb, 2.4 ast, 1.2 stl, 0.6 blck in 27 mins. Compare that to Holmes' numbers this year.
Straw man argument, dear sir. It's not about Richaud Holmes. Trying to build WCS up by denigrating Holmes (or any other player) is irrelevant.

Ok I went and looked at the summary from the game log last year and my takeaway is this.

In 81 games he had 8 games of 20+ points and 27 games where he had 10+ rebounds. Now this is a guy that has all the tools to be a 20-10 guy if he put the effort in, maybe 15 and 8 is more realistic? But he was an 8 and 6 guy. He had 54 games with single digit rebounds including 8 with under 4. For a guy that size and athletic that is unacceptable.

He also had 50 games without a block which is something he was expected to do.

He also stayed out of foul trouble which is to be lauded I guess but a bit surprising that a guy who could be a rebounding and block beast had 67 games with 4 or fewer fouls.

But mainly you see a pattern of a guy who had 1 big game every 8-10 games. And you will see nights where he was invisible in the statline despite getting 12-18 mins. And how the big nights prop up the bad nights statistically.