[Game] Kings at Lakers, Friday Nov 15, 7:30 PM PT/10:30 PM ET

Hield needs to sit at the end of games until he learns how to stop being a total dumb***. Barnes wasn't far behind on the stupidity scale tonight with some horrible decisions near the end. We wouldn't have had a chance to win this game if it weren't for Bogi and Holmes coming up huge down the stretch. Yogi also had a nice game.

The no-call at the end wasn't as bad as people are making out. The "trip" would have been a soft call and the AD block wasn't a clear foul, posting still images doesn't change that. The straight up and down isn't a hard and fast rule. Technically you don't have to go straight up if there's no contact. The whole point of that phrase is that you can't blame the refs for calling it if your arms aren't straight up as they'll often assume there's contact and it's poor technique. That doesn't mean it's automatically a foul, which people seem to be confused about.

We did this to ourselves. Lakers got fortunate but we shot ourselves in the foot with silly TOs and bad decision-making. Overall it was a good team effort and a winnable game.
I have to agree with this. As much as I wanted to yell and scream at the last series, it seemed much worse in real time than on replay. I guess maybe he got tripped but it’s possible he just stumbled splitting the defenders. And yes AD may not have been vertical, but I’m not convinced at the end of the day there was much contact....just a fantastic block.
Anyway, at this point I’m becoming more impressed with the kings play. They are playing their ass off. We’ve gone 4-2 over the past 6, losing on the road to the defending champs and a hot lakers team with 2 HOFers. In both games to the end.

There were so many things that could have gone the Kings way which would have resulted in a win last night. One being CoJo not being able to buy a bucket in the last 2 games. He went 1 for 9 last night and 1 for 6 the game before. I love his defense but his offense needs to get better or teams will just play him like rondo and let him shoot us out of the game.

Lebron with some nifty fouls on offense and defense that were not called turned the tide for the Lakers. HB was fouled 4 times on that drive to the hoop. LBJ hit his arm, then tripped him. AD hit him with body contact down low and hit HB's arm that did not have the ball.

I guess lamenting no calls vs the Lakers in LA is accepted by some. But IMO THE REFS SUCK!!!!!!!

I'm concerned about Buddy. The turnovers, yes, but more just the overall number of mistakes he makes every single game - especially at crucial times when the pressure is on.
Bogi makes mistakes, but his assists always outnumber his turnovers. With Buddy it's just the opposite.
I won't be surprised if Walton ends up making Buddy a catch and shoot player to minimize his propensity for mistakes and turnovers.

Barnes lose the game last night. He fouled Lebron when game is tied and allowed him to shoot free throws. How can you not know that the team have no foul to give being a vet? And then he try to redeem himself by driving at the teeth of the Lakers defense instead of passing and let someone shoot from the arc to win the game.

This is why Buddy should not get the money he demanded. The guy can shoot the lights out but then he did stupid things on the court that were unwarranted like rushing shots and forgot to play defense. And also dribble up the court out of control and ended up losing the ball.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well Bogi turned the ball over too quite soon after Buddy's dumb inbounds pass, let's not forget that.

What I find strange is how we have Buddy bringing the ball up so often, whether it's with CoJo, Bogi or Yogi in the game. I mean, that wouldn't happen if the coaches weren't ok with it right?
I found it strange too. I'm very curious to know the answer behind it all. My speculation: Buddy obviously thinks he can handle the ball, so Walton is going to give him the ball. It will be totally transparent to everybody concerned, even Buddy, whether he can actually do the job or not. If he can, (to the surprise of most) then fantastic, onward and upward with the new and improved Buddy Hield. If not, then even Buddy will have to acknowledge that his role needs to be changed on this team. Either that, or he'll be traded. As a fan, I pray that this "experiment" is concluded before the Kings play the Clippers. Can you imagine the dribble-loving Buddy Hield on the same floor with Beverly, Leonard and George?o_O

I'm concerned about Buddy. The turnovers, yes, but more just the overall number of mistakes he makes every single game - especially at crucial times when the pressure is on.
Bogi makes mistakes, but his assists always outnumber his turnovers. With Buddy it's just the opposite.
I won't be surprised if Walton ends up making Buddy a catch and shoot player to minimize his propensity for mistakes and turnovers.
I agree with this. I was annoyed with Buddy last night, but truth be told, the Kings probably shouldn't have him do as much as they're asking. It's easy to get caught looking at a guy with an elite skill and thinking if only he could become elite at dribbling, and passing and defense ...... I mean you can't manufacture a Steph Curry, or Lebron. The best thing any coach can do for a player is to put them in a position to succeed and utilize the skills they do have.

After the game, Luke looked
I found it strange too. I'm very curious to know the answer behind it all. My speculation: Buddy obviously thinks he can handle the ball, so Walton is going to give him the ball. It will be totally transparent to everybody concerned, even Buddy, whether he can actually do the job or not. If he can, (to the surprise of most) then fantastic, onward and upward with the new and improved Buddy Hield. If not, then even Buddy will have to acknowledge that his role needs to be changed on this team. Either that, or he'll be traded. As a fan, I pray that this "experiment" is concluded before the Kings play the Clippers. Can you imagine the dribble-loving Buddy Hield on the same floor with Beverly, Leonard and George?o_O
Buddy would naturally be Walton's primary project right now, with Fox and Bagley out, but Walton has seemed to focus on Buddy's BBIQ since camp. I wonder if it is a remit from the front office. We know Buddy works extremely hard on his skills and on fitness/strength. However, I'm not sure he's playing much unstructured 5-on-5 to develop his game awareness. He just has no feel for time/score/tempo of the game--understanding the moment to risk an early 3-pointer vs when to run offense for a shot or free throws, for instance.

Gabriel is not a NBA player now and we don't need another 4/5 (he's not a 3 nor will ever be) he should be cut and we should sign Alfonzo Mckinnie or a similar type explosive SF. Right now he's a smaller more agile PF Dedmon.
The Dude played pretty good defense on Lebron. He 3 point shot was awful and has to improve for him to be a legit 3 and D wing. But to say he would never be a 3 is taking it too far.

I'm usually the negative nancy but I'm pretty happy with the way the Kings have played lately. They made a ton of mistakes last night and were right in it with the best team in the league for the entire game. Even though there were glaring mistakes, they played pretty smart defense on a ton of possessions. It didn't just seem random like it used to. There was a clear game plan.

Hopefully these guys continue to put in the effort despite losing these close games to some of the best teams in the league. If they can continue this and just clear up some of the troubles they're having, they might be able to compete for the 8th seed.

Oh yeah, he may have had a horrible game on offense but props to Corey freakin' Joseph for the defense he played on LeBron early on. Wasn't expecting that matchup.

Lebron with some nifty fouls on offense and defense that were not called turned the tide for the Lakers. HB was fouled 4 times on that drive to the hoop. LBJ hit his arm, then tripped him. AD hit him with body contact down low and hit HB's arm that did not have the ball.

I guess lamenting no calls vs the Lakers in LA is accepted by some. But IMO THE REFS SUCK!!!!!!!
Playing 5 on 8 is always tough.

Immediately after the game, Luke appeared to be absorbing what it means to be going against the Lakers when they have "star power", and realizing all the complaints and rumors are true.
I agree. I think Luke will seriously have to adjust to NOT getting calls. His entire coaching experience he has had players/teams that were more often than not the beneficiaries of the "benefit of the doubt."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, I got home just in time for the start of the game and decided just to watch. I haven't read the game thread, for the simple reason I think I might be in direct opposition to some comments. Bottom line for me is it was better than I could have hoped for. The Kings were competitive, they did their best. Mistakes? Yep. Of course. All things considered, however, it was a good night to be a Kings fan - win or loss be damned. The team from LA not named the Clippers, widely touted as being the hottest team in the league right now, had to do everything they could to beat the Kings. Had one or two calls gone the other way, we'd be celebrating a win. If a couple of guys had mad little better decisions, we'd be celebrating a win. I can live with that.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

You know, I got home just in time for the start of the game and decided just to watch. I haven't read the game thread, for the simple reason I think I might be in direct opposition to some comments. Bottom line for me is it was better than I could have hoped for. The Kings were competitive, they did their best. Mistakes? Yep. Of course. All things considered, however, it was a good night to be a Kings fan - win or loss be damned. The team from LA not named the Clippers, widely touted as being the hottest team in the league right now, had to do everything they could to beat the Kings. Had one or two calls gone the other way, we'd be celebrating a win. If a couple of guys had mad little better decisions, we'd be celebrating a win. I can live with that.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!
Pretty much the sentiment of the board.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!
I watched till half time and then turned it off. I just knew it would turn out about like that. The team is playing very good defense and is going to get better as the players start to see how that really helps them.

Being in Ohio halftime was creeping towards midnight and had to get up at 5am.

I am getting excited to see how our season goes if we can just catch a break with injuries and the refs.

We shocked the NBA last year with our running and at this point would not be surprised if our defense ends up as one of the best we have had.

AC5B8133-0BBD-41ED-8145-BB3578A9E527.png They said the 2 non calls on lebron and Davis were correct non calls but we should have had the ball tied up since the incorrectly didn’t call his offensive foul with an elbow to the face. Apparently those aren’t called on laker players when they play the kings.

Barnes lose the game last night. He fouled Lebron when game is tied and allowed him to shoot free throws. How can you not know that the team have no foul to give being a vet? And then he try to redeem himself by driving at the teeth of the Lakers defense instead of passing and let someone shoot from the arc to win the game.
1574040497882.jpg I

HB did not foul LBJ. Even the NBA has admitted that play was called incorrectly

HB did not selfishly try to redeem himself. It was a play drawn up and called by the head coach. And they ran it well. Another missed call on the trip by LBJ.

They said the 2 non calls on lebron and Davis were correct non calls but we should have had the ball tied up since the incorrectly didn’t call his offensive foul with an elbow to the face. Apparently those aren’t called on laker players when they play the kings.
They’re high.

I still contend all three plays were fouls. And the last 2 would have been called if roles were reversed.

Having said that, I have less issue with AD’s block than the no call on LBJ’s clear trip. If the trip hadn‘t occurred to slow up HB and cause him to hunch over in order to retain balance, AD never would have got that block.