Kings sign Richaun Holmes 2/10

It's all out there. I'm not saying he thought HE was the priority. He thought the priorities of the franchise were different upon signing.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article212221039.html
There's nothing in there but fluff. He lost PT and eventually his starting job to de'aaron something that was obviously going to happen and he mailed it in after that. I dont want to derail this thread any further but he took advantage of Vlade and thats the last i want to talk about G. Hill.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Great signing! But yeah, Holmes is...overqualified to be a 5th big. And he had options.
Sure, but if you look at who is ahead of him in the depth chart there are a lot of potential min including starts. Deadmon has a hard time staying healthy (style of play does not help) and with Harry's knees you want both insurance and someone to help keep him for playing too many min espciall on back to backs etc.

PG De’Aaron Fox (21)
SG Buddy Hield (26)
SF Harrison Barnes (27)
PF Marvin Bagley (20)
C Dewayne Dedmond (29)

SG/PG Bogdan Bogdanovic (27)
PF/C Nemenja Bjlecia (31)
SF Trevor Ariza (34)
PF/C Harry Giles (21)
PG Corey Joseph (27)
C Richaun Holmes (26)

This is it. Not a single scrub on our roster which is saying something. Good Age mix. Make no mistake, we are no longer ''growing'' the age group here is about right for a playoff push. There are only 3 players on the team under 22. Time to do this. The tools are here.

Hell.Freaking.Yea.
This. Makes me think with Ded being able to spread the floor for us, Bjelica may become expendable and a moveable piece for us toward the trade deadline
Yeah I think Bjelica is pretty much gone. His big asset is floor spacing at the 4, something we can easily get by flexing Barnes or Ariza down now.

Holmes wouldn't have signed a "prove it" deal with us if he thought he was going to be the 5th big. Must have gotten some confirmation from the FO that he'd be apart of the rotation. He's way too good to just sit on the bench.

Hell.Freaking.Yea.

Yeah I think Bjelica is pretty much gone. His big asset is floor spacing at the 4, something we can easily get by flexing Barnes or Ariza down now.

Holmes wouldn't have signed a "prove it" deal with us if he thought he was going to be the 5th big. Must have gotten some confirmation from the FO that he'd be apart of the rotation. He's way too good to just sit on the bench.
Aside from the total hot-cold shooting from Bjelica, he actually was a pretty good help-defender givng excellent weak-side help and secondary ball pressure, however as a 1-on-1 defender he was beaten too easily and was substandard. His streaky shooting or lack of shooting was fairly influential on winning and losing during the season. Later in the season, the coaching had enough of it, and his minutes were cut. In certain situations Bjelica may get some minutes, although they could be cut if 1 or 2 of the new FAs play a more balanced game.

Looks good in limited time, but meh.. Like the Cory Joseph signing.. Not exciting, but at the same time glad we're trying to get players that can fit in.

Part of me does not understand what Holmes for his self interest is doing (I love he's on the Kings), he keeps being put in places where he's really deep in the rotation when he's easily at worst a rotational big who should be playing 20+mins a game and even starting in some situations. Being a 4th/5th big is a complete waste of his talent maybe this was the most money he could get but I doubt it very head scratching move unless he was promised sufficient playing time.

The rule changed a few years back. You can suit up 13 players.
So, correct me if Im wrong, but we can suit up 13, have 15 guys on our NBA roster and 2 2-way contracts?

Which leaves us at:

Fox || CoJo || Yogi
Buddy || Bogdan
Barnes || Ariza
Bagley || Holmes || Bjelica
Dedmon || Giles

Then Caleb and Frank make 14 and JJ and Guy make 16. and Troy Williams has one of our 2-way spots already. So seems like Frank is most likely a casualty of our new depth and possibly Swanigan too we obviously don't need the depth. Would think they'd want to use spot 14 and 15 on Guy and JJ to keep them protected in Stockton, so it comes down to what to do with spot 13.

Last edited:
Part of me does not understand what Holmes for his self interest is doing (I love he's on the Kings), he keeps being put in places where he's really deep in the rotation when he's easily at worst a rotational big who should be playing 20+mins a game and even starting in some situations. Being a 4th/5th big is a complete waste of his talent maybe this was the most money he could get but I doubt it very head scratching move unless he was promised sufficient playing time.
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure I understand why he would choose a team where he’s not even guaranteed to be the first or second big off the bench. The contract seems relatively normal, so doesn’t seem like we blew him away with money.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So, correct me if Im wrong, but we can suit up 13, have 15 guys on our NBA roster and 2 2-way contracts?

Which leaves us at:

Fox || CoJo || Yogi
Buddy || Bogdan
Barnes || Ariza
Bagley || Holmes || Bjelica
Dedmon || Giles

Then Caleb and Frank make 14 and JJ and Guy make 16. and Troy Williams has one of our 2-way spots already. So seems like Frank is most likely a casualty of our new depth and possibly Swanigan too we obviously don't need the depth. Would think they'd want to use spot 14 and 15 on Guy and JJ to keep them protected in Stockton, so it comes down to what to do with spot 13.
You are correct on roster limits of suiting 13, 15 on NBA contracts and 2 on 2-way contracts.

Troy Williams is no longer on a 2-way with the Kings, we released him last week or so. But Wenyen Gabriel appears to be on a 2-way with us again this year.

JJ and Guy will almost certainly get either a min contract or a 2-way, I'd be surprised right now if either goes unsigned.

Both Yogi and Mason are unguaranteed so one will likely be cut. Yogi obviously has shown more, but he makes twice as much as Mason and may be less happy as a third guard, so I would not be shocked if we kept Mason instead. However, we don't actually HAVE to cut either because we have space to give JJ/Guy/Gabriel the 15th roster slot and have the other two on 2-ways.

I include Gabriel in that list because he looked quite good last night and his 2-way can be converted to a full (probably minimum salary) NBA deal at any time. Since we hold all the cards there - if he declined he is stuck with us on the 2-way anyway and nobody can sign him away for the year - there's no reason for him to say no if we offer a full NBA deal. Since he was with us for a year already, it wouldn't surprise me to see Gabriel get bumped to an NBA deal and both JJ and Guy to be on 2-ways, but who knows what the front office is thinking.

All that said, seeing Swanigan last night gave me the impression that he would not be a big loss if we were to cut him. Unless he starts to show more I would not be at all surprised to see us let his fourth-year option die (that deadline is late October) and he is eminently cuttable/tradebait if needed.

Last edited:
Fox Joseph Yogi
Buddy Bogi Guy (2 way)
Barnes Ariza James
Bagley Belly Gabriel (2 way)
Dedmon Giles Holmes

Keep at least one NBA spot open. Barnes and Ariza can slide to the 4 if necrssary, same with Fox/Joseph to the 2.

You are correct on roster limits of suiting 13, 15 on NBA contracts and 2 on 2-way contracts.

Troy Williams is no longer on a 2-way with the Kings, we released him last week or so. But Wenyen Gabriel appears to be on a 2-way with us again this year.

JJ and Guy will almost certainly get either a min contract or a 2-way, I'd be surprised right now if either goes unsigned.

Both Yogi and Mason are unguaranteed so one will likely be cut. Yogi obviously has shown more, but he makes twice as much as Mason and may be less happy as a third guard, so I would not be shocked if we kept Mason instead. However, we don't actually HAVE to cut either because we have space to give JJ/Guy/Gabriel the 15th roster slot and have the other two on 2-ways.

I include Gabriel in that list because he looked quite good last night and his 2-way can be converted to a full (probably minimum salary) NBA deal at any time. Since we hold all the cards there - if he declined he is stuck with us on the 2-way anyway and nobody can sign him away for the year - there's no reason for him to say no if we offer a full NBA deal. Since he was with us for a year already, it wouldn't surprise me to see Gabriel get bumped to an NBA deal and both JJ and Guy to be on 2-ways, but who knows what the front office is thinking.

All that said, seeing Swanigan last night gave me the impression that he would not be a big loss if we were to cut him. Unless he starts to show more I would not be at all surprised to see us let his fourth-year option die (that deadline is late October) and he is eminently cuttable/tradebait if needed.
I believe Troy Williams signed with the Lakers.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't think Holmes sees himself as the 4th or 5th big. I can see him look at Giles and think that he can get minutes over him. Same for Bjelica, though they are very different players. Also, there are always injuries during the season, giving more minutes to some. And last but not least, the Kings are going to run like hell, so there is reason to believe that Walton is going to be subbing more than the "typical" team. We should try to remember this thread. It will be very interesting to look back at the end of the season to see the minutes' distribution.

I don't think Holmes sees himself as the 4th or 5th big. I can see him look at Giles and think that he can get minutes over him. Same for Bjelica, though they are very different players. Also, there are always injuries during the season, giving more minutes to some. And last but not least, the Kings are going to run like hell, so there is reason to believe that Walton is going to be subbing more than the "typical" team. We should try to remember this thread. It will be very interesting to look back at the end of the season to see the minutes' distribution.
I'm ok with that. The more competition the better. It's just you have to get Giles minutes out there even if he's not quite as good because he has to develop somehow.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm ok with that. The more competition the better. It's just you have to get Giles minutes out there even if he's not quite as good because he has to develop somehow.
The nice thing is that many of the Kings' bigs are 4/5 players and it therefore makes it easier on coach to make substitutions and for players to get minutes because of their versatile games. If Giles and Holmes can consistently hit open 18 footers, there's no reason they can't play the 4 as well as the 5, and we already know that Dedmond, Bagley and Bjelica can hit that shot. I'm extremely curious to see the progress in Giles' shooting, and whether the Kings' coaching staff can coach Holmes up to hit those outside shots. Lastly, I'm not going to be surprised if by the trade deadline Bjelica might be dealt. If I had to bet, he's the odd man out, especially if Giles and Holmes can provide some outside threat.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The nice thing is that many of the Kings' bigs are 4/5 players and it therefore makes it easier on coach to make substitutions and for players to get minutes because of their versatile games. If Giles and Holmes can consistently hit open 18 footers, there's no reason they can't play the 4 as well as the 5, and we already know that Dedmond, Bagley and Bjelica can hit that shot. I'm extremely curious to see the progress in Giles' shooting, and whether the Kings' coaching staff can coach Holmes up to hit those outside shots. Lastly, I'm not going to be surprised if by the trade deadline Bjelica might be dealt. If I had to bet, he's the odd man out, especially if Giles and Holmes can provide some outside threat.
I posted in another thread, look at Holmes’ stats in Philly. He hit the 3 ball. Must have been told not to shoot the 3 in PHX. His 2nd year he hit 27-77 attempts for 35%. Now the other 2 years he didn’t make them worth a damn. Potential is there.