Kings sign Richaun Holmes 2/10

Could we be any deeper? LOL this is on par with our bench in 03, when we had jimmy Jackson, Bobby Jackson, Keon and the gang

My lord

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Perfect! Now you've got your deep bench back up for Deadmon and Harry! As I pointed out in the Deadmon thread I was a little concerned about the need for a serviceable third center.

He's a slightly impoverished Montrezl Harrell. Really good pick up for cheap.

Wonder if he has the ability to stretch the floor? He took 77 3's three years ago and hit them at a 35% clip. A couple of the other years he took way less 3's and hit them at a terrible mark and then last year he shot the long ball zero times. Might be something the Kings should start him back working on again.

Fox,Joseph,Yogi
Buddy,Bogi,Guy
Barnes,Ariza,James
Bagley,Bjelica,Swanigan
Dedmon,Giles,Holmes

that is 15 Deep Baby!!
Not sure id consider james guy or swan "depth" in the way its usually referred to here. Id say we arec12 deep...past that its depth as in off the cliff grand canyon depth

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I love this guy! Fantastic signing. The Kings just added some major grit and competitiveness. He's like the anti-WCS. There's only one guy that I saw block Bagley's shot last year - Holmes. (He and Bagley are going to have some interesting practices facing off against each other). This is the uber-energetic grit guy that will add to the defense of the team that has already been improved with Barnes, Joseph and Ariza. This is the perfect cherry-on-top as far as I am concerned.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I like him. That said, there has to be a question of how this is going to work out in terms of a realistic rotation. You can't have 5 bigs rotating around in your lineup unless you platoon. Nobody is platooning their way to success. I hope Vlade has made it clear with some of these signings what the intentions are because we saw what happened a few years ago with George Hill.

I like him. That said, there has to be a question of how this is going to work out in terms of a realistic rotation. You can't have 5 bigs rotating around in your lineup unless you platoon. Nobody is platooning their way to success. I hope Vlade has made it clear with some of these signings what the intentions are because we saw what happened a few years ago with George Hill.
Hill went rouge after he signed the contract. He played with no heart and energy in his stint here.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

Wonder if he has the ability to stretch the floor? He took 77 3's three years ago and hit them at a 35% clip. A couple of the other years he took way less 3's and hit them at a terrible mark and then last year he shot the long ball zero times. Might be something the Kings should start him back working on again.
He's got a decent stroke. I'm not sure why he's turned into such an inside player. I thought he could be the next David West at one point.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Hill went rouge after he signed the contract. He played with no heart and energy in his stint here.
Yeah, but remember, he apparently had a different perception of what the idea moving forward was. There was clearly a misunderstanding somewhere from the start.

There is obviously a plan here that does fit into a 2 year reassessment strategy. I think the Kings are trying to get into the next tier then see what they can do in FA in 2021. Not getting into the playoffs last year might have indeed hurt their standing with players when it came to free agency options. I think the idea is to show the league that the Kings are playing for something and if they need that 1 piece to get over the top in a few years the ball will be in their court.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I hope so. His free throw percentage was 73%, not bad for a 4th year guy. If he can just shoot an 18-footer on a consistent basis, he helps his effectiveness considerably. (I think of Giles along the same lines). Apparently, Holmes has developed a pretty good push shot: https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...olmes-floater-becoming-money-shot/2566215002/

Not sure id consider james guy or swan "depth" in the way its usually referred to here. Id say we arec12 deep...past that its depth as in off the cliff grand canyon depth
So Yogi or Holmes can play big minutes if they were needed, so Yes they would be player 11 and 12, which covers PG, PF,C positions
Swanigan is 6th Big and 15th on the roster , just because he is already signed for next year

Guy and James would be our 13th and 14th man and would play in G league, working on their game
and could be called back if we had a wing injury, but yes 3rd string is still depth, usually only used in Practice and due to injury

Yeah, but remember, he apparently had a different perception of what the idea moving forward was. There was clearly a misunderstanding somewhere from the start.

There is obviously a plan here that does fit into a 2 year reassessment strategy. I think the Kings are trying to get into the next tier then see what they can do in FA in 2021. Not getting into the playoffs last year might have indeed hurt their standing with players when it came to free agency options. I think the idea is to show the league that the Kings are playing for something and if they need that 1 piece to get over the top in a few years the ball will be in their court.
If a team drafts a pg 5th and then you sign there why would there be a suprise that your not the priority?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
If a team drafts a pg 5th and then you sign there why would there be a suprise that your not the priority?
Because he clearly thought the priorities were different. Hopefully clarity since that moment has been more of a priority. One difference is these deals are much shorter so worst case if you have some unhappy campers time won't stand still.

So Yogi or Holmes can play big minutes if they were needed, so Yes they would be player 11 and 12, which covers PG, PF,C positions
Swanigan is 6th Big and 15th on the roster , just because he is already signed for next year

Guy and James would be our 12th and 14th men and would play in G league, working on their game
and could be called back if we had a wing injury, but yes 3rd string is still depth, usually only used in Practice and due to injury
Because he clearly thought the priorities were different. Hopefully clarity since that moment has been more of a priority. One difference is these deals are much shorter so worst case if you have some unhappy campers time won't stand still.
No he didnt think the priorities were different. What he did was take advantage of Vlade's good will after giving him a big deal to help de'aaron navigate his first couple of seasons. Like i mentioned if a team drafts a Kentucky PG 5th you cant pretend your the priority.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No he didnt think the priorities were different. What he did was take advantage of Vlade's good will after giving him a big deal to help de'aaron navigate his first couple of seasons. Like i mentioned if a team drafts a Kentucky PG 5th you cant pretend your the priority.

It's all out there. I'm not saying he thought HE was the priority. He thought the priorities of the franchise were different upon signing.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article212221039.html

I liked this signing - better than the others actually. $5M per year for 2 years for defensive depth. Likely the best value. He's going to be 9 or 10 off the bench. Nice looking blocks - and a lob target.