SF Trades

Burks is 6'6" and more of a shooting guard. I'm tired of throwing undersized players at the SF position (Bogs/Shump). I don't necessarily think Burks is a bad player but I want someone with more size to guard the position. Burks is a scorer which is needed but I don't think he's ever been known as much of a defender.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Giles was a pick around 20.
He moves the needle.

There is always talent at the later end of the first round.
That was one of the most stacked drafts in recent memory and he was also a huge risk and had to skip his first season. Majority of guys picked in the 20s are not going to be ready to step in and contribute. This team is ready to make leaps. We should be looking to acquire talent at or above that already on our team. We'll have our first in 2020 for depth.

Paul mulsap 47th
Tony snell 20th pick
Fournier 20th pick

We watched shamet last night he was 26th.
Ppl rave about him. There's talent; don't act like a late first is worthless because its not.

Harkless doesn't move the needle and a first rounder around pick ~20 doesn't either.
Huh? These guys don't matter? After pick 19:

2015 Draft
Bobby Portis
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Tyus Jones
Larry Nance
Kevon Looney
Montrez Harrell
Cedi Osman
Josh Richardson

2016 Draft
Malik Beasley
Caris Levert
Pascal Siakim
Dejounte Murray
Malcolm Brogdon
Jake Layman

2017 NBA Draft:
John Collins
Harry Giles
Jarrett Allen
OG Anunoby
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Derrick White
Jordan Bell
Thomas Bryant
Monte Morris

Yeah, maybe no superstars, but certainly a couple guys who can make all-star teams and a bunch of really, really quality players who are going to be in the league for 10+ years. There's always value in having young cost-controlled talent and collecting picks when given the opportunity.

Yeah who wants to be able to pick extremely affordble young talent (of your choice) that you control their contracts for FOUR YEARS?

Nobody wants that!

Huh? These guys don't matter? After pick 19:

2015 Draft
Bobby Portis
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Tyus Jones
Larry Nance
Kevon Looney
Montrez Harrell
Cedi Osman
Josh Richardson

2016 Draft
Malik Beasley
Caris Levert
Pascal Siakim
Dejounte Murray
Malcolm Brogdon
Jake Layman

2017 NBA Draft:
John Collins
Harry Giles
Jarrett Allen
OG Anunoby
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Derrick White
Jordan Bell
Thomas Bryant
Monte Morris

Yeah, maybe no superstars, but certainly a couple guys who can make all-star teams and a bunch of really, really quality players who are going to be in the league for 10+ years. There's always value in having young cost-controlled talent and collecting picks when given the opportunity.
I wanted OG.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There's a reason Portland is trying desperately to move him.

I'm not saying there's no use for a 20 pick, but it's just not what we should be looking for right now. We've got a ton of young talent, we're pushing a playoff spot and above .500. It doesn't move our needle. I'm sorry, it doesn't.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Could have easily had Rodney Hood. Would have made a good difference too. This is what I mean when I say we need to be active
Oh come on. There's a reason he went for peanuts, just like there's a reason a lot of these border-line players are being moved for virtually nothing. I am incredibly happy Vlade hasn't done anything to destroy what he's worked so hard to build. You might not like his vision, but it's pretty clear he is not going to make a trade just to make some fans happy.

I'm not saying there's no use for a 20 pick, but it's just not what we should be looking for right now. We've got a ton of young talent, we're pushing a playoff spot and above .500. It doesn't move our needle. I'm sorry, it doesn't.
Harkless may not be a major difference maker but he’s still an upgrade even if he only takes Ben’s spot in the rotation—and we needed to play Ben some recently due to injures, depth still will help for the push for the playoff spot.

A 20 pick has value aside from a cost controlled young player. It’s another asset that could be flipped and packaged with another piece to get a greater difference maker.

The $11 million in current cap space is an asset that disappears after the deadline. Using it is not necessarily “making a deal just to make a deal.”

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We're going to have to address WCS next offseason, so I don't see adding extra salary as remotely helpful unless we're talking a player that gets us in the playoffs. When you're in the playoffs you can draft long term guys and develop them for your future, but we're not there yet. We need a starting SF and if we can't trade for one we need to go all out in FA.

Oh come on. There's a reason he went for peanuts, just like there's a reason a lot of these border-line players are being moved for virtually nothing. I am incredibly happy Vlade hasn't done anything to destroy what he's worked so hard to build. You might not like his vision, but it's pretty clear he is not going to make a trade just to make some fans happy.
We were linked to Hood less then 12 months ago, a link which most fans were happy with provided we didn't give up the kitchen sink to get him.

12 months later, we could have had him for next to nothing.

I'm sorry but forgive me for wishing Vlade had more stature in the trade window.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We were linked to Hood by rumormongers, given that Cavs signed him to the QO shows there wasn't that much interest. Everyone was talking about what a dumb**** (fill in your favorite) Vlade was 12 months ago.

At this point, if we play a .333 clip to close the season we finish with a 10 win improvement on last year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We were linked to Hood less then 12 months ago, a link which most fans were happy with provided we didn't give up the kitchen sink to get him.

12 months later, we could have had him for next to nothing.

I'm sorry but forgive me for wishing Vlade had more stature in the trade window.
No need to apologize, especially since I do not find your assumption compelling. The team's wants/needs 12 months ago bear little to no relevance to our wants/needs today. You appear to be assuming Vlade doesn't have a plan and that everything that has happened has been dumb luck. I do not subscribe to that particular belief.

No need to apologize, especially since I do not find your assumption compelling. The team's wants/needs 12 months ago bear little to no relevance to our wants/needs today. You appear to be assuming Vlade doesn't have a plan and that everything that has happened has been dumb luck. I do not subscribe to that particular belief.
VF, surely you're not going to sit here and argue our need of a starting Calibre SF is a new age issue and not something which was as relevant 12 months ago as it is now ?

I'm sure Vlade has a plan but his near misses in FA have worked in our favour so the plan is not the be all and end all. You adapt based on what the market is offering.

Hood could have been had for next to nothing. I believe it would have been a strong addition, you not so much so. I know Vlade will address this need eventually, for both of us, I hope it's soon.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF, surely you're not going to sit here and argue our need of a starting Calibre SF is a new age issue and not something which was as relevant 12 months ago as it is now ?

I'm sure Vlade has a plan but his near misses in FA have worked in our favour so the plan is not the be all and end all. You adapt based on what the market is offering.

Hood could have been had for next to nothing. I believe it would have been a strong addition, you not so much so. I know Vlade will address this need eventually, for both of us, I hope it's soon.
Do we need a starting caliber SF? Yep. Is Rodney Hood the answer? Not to my way of thinking. I don't care about how little he would have cost.

I think Vlade is staying the course until he gets the kind of SF he wants. Based on what his acquisitions have done so far, I guess I'm just a little more patient in waiting to see what he eventually does.

As I mentioned before, I'm cool with Harkless. But this kings team plays team basketball. Rodney Hood does not play team basketball. He plays Rodney Hood basketball. I was over not "getting" Rodney Hood before it started. He's a 6'7" SG/SF which theoretically fits our needs. But he, as a player, does not fit our needs. So just say "no good" to Rodney Hood.

Now, if someone like OG Anunoby miraculously became available I would be interested...very interested. I've watched him some on NBAtv and his man to man D is something fierce. Also his arms aren't even arms, they're actually more like legs. He swallows people whole with his 7'6" wingspan.

Still very young (21). Raw on offense, but he's working on his 3 ball and we're looking long term here.

But Toronto is a playoff team, and could be a legit contender, hence the "miraculously available" term. I'm not sure they even need to add any pieces. Maybe a C? I dunno. Not happening regardless.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

The thing is, it would seem the reason that Portland would want to move Harkless is because they're in luxury tax hell for the next two years, and getting about $11M off their cap those two years would be a great financial move. Before his 3P% tanked this year, I'd have said that he was a great target, now, maybe he's only a good target. But he's got some advantages - he's got the second best DRTG on his team (behind Nurkic) and is tops in steals/100 and third in blocks/100, which suggests he's a very good defensive wing who is just a year removed from shooting .415 from three.

Harkless isn't my #1 target, but if a Harkless+Portland's 2019 pick for our cap space and peanuts deal is on the table, and we can't manage to get anything better, I think it's a deal we should pull the trigger on.