KD or another NAME SF to the Kings? (split)

yeah after the game, listened to that Bill Simmons podcast.

KD raved about coach Joerger, how good he is also, KD likes him since Joerger Memphis years, when they played against them in play-offs.

Happy to know that top players in the league are taking notice.
Is the Cupcake ready to jump trams and be a King? I like snakie cupcakes on my team.

Was just telling a buddy last night how I would have to swallow hard, burn some sage, throw up a little... and then embrace KD if it went that way. I mean he's a good basketball. But I hate him so much omg it would hurt to get my head around him being my guy.

Was just telling a buddy last night how I would have to swallow hard, burn some sage, throw up a little... and then embrace KD if it went that way. I mean he's a good basketball. But I hate him so much omg it would hurt to get my head around him being my guy.
Son went to Olympics and spent some time hanging with the basketball team. According to him KD is absolutely the nicest guy of the group.

Obviously you don't say no to a talent like that if he wanted to come here but I'd really like to see how this vision of the Kings plays out. We're a few pieces away from replicating the glory years in a modern team and I really think it's achievable with the right trades/signings because I think the star level talent is in place.
but what if this core is intriguing enough for a superstar FA to take an interest? Kawhi or KD empty the vault I wonder if it could be done.

Honestly if we signed him and keep our current team, we automatically will be easily top 3 in the west
I cannot imagine Kevin Durant signing with Sacramento. It defies literally everything I've come to understand about NBA free agency. But you do have to ask the question, "What does Kevin Durant want from the remainder of his career?" He's won championships in Golden State. He could win another with them this season. He could re-up with them and keep competing for championships. But he's also damaged his legacy in the process. He says he doesn't care about the way NBA fans have castigated his decision to join the powerhouse Warriors, but the trash talking he does with opposing fans on the road seems to suggest otherwise.

Lebron went to Miami, won two rings, then returned home to Cleveland because he felt he had unfinished business there. I wonder what unfinished business Kevin Durant has? I don't think he's going back to Oklahoma City, even if they could afford him. That's Russ and PG's team now. I also don't think he wants to join Lebron in Los Angeles. So what does he want? Sign with the Knicks and become "the man" in New York? Many have tried in the last couple of decades. All of them have failed. That team has long had an ownership problem, and I think Durant would prefer to stay away from such franchises. So perhaps signing with a young up-and-coming team in an NBA backwater makes sense for Durant. Do something unexpected. Astound the NBA world. Elevate a long-time loser into a championship contender in a city that would embrace you whole-heartedly, and where you wouldn't be hounded by accusations of ring-chasing. I'd say stranger things have happened, but that would undoubtedly be one of the most bizarre NBA storylines in recent memory.

That said... it's not gonna happen. Nor do I necessarily think it should. The Kings have an interesting opportunity here, to build something from nothing, and if they stay the course, they'll be in the playoffs for years to come.

but what if this core is intriguing enough for a superstar FA to take an interest? Kawhi or KD empty the vault I wonder if it could be done.
I think I would be more interested in Kawhi. Definitely not saying no. Just I think KD is going to want everyone to play his game and prove he is top dog. Kind of an answer to @Padrino as to why KD would come here (I agree he won't) - but it would be to rehab his image as a guy who joined a super team. I suspect the Kings will fall short of the playoffs this year, but we're definitely on the up. He could come in and be the guy who puts us over the hump and gets all the credit (much like your take on what's happening in Dallas where one guy is getting credit for a team effort).

I think I would be more interested in Kawhi. Definitely not saying no. Just I think KD is going to want everyone to play his game and prove he is top dog. Kind of an answer to @Padrino as to why KD would come here (I agree he won't) - but it would be to rehab his image as a guy who joined a super team. I suspect the Kings will fall short of the playoffs this year, but we're definitely on the up. He could come in and be the guy who puts us over the hump and gets all the credit (much like your take on what's happening in Dallas where one guy is getting credit for a team effort).
My take on Dallas? Amari Cooper? I don't know what you mean...

Come on people. KD would never sign with the Kings.

He's already gone the small market route and he left OKC. He's not coming to Sacramento.

To be honest, I think the Kings are fine with what they have now and they should build around their own stars!

Come on people. KD would never sign with the Kings.

He's already gone the small market route and he left OKC. He's not coming to Sacramento.

To be honest, I think the Kings are fine with what they have now and they should build around their own stars!
I don't think anyone is really talking seriously about that topic... calm down.

I agree, but he has a complicated legacy right now, and he does tend to get a bit defensive about it. I'm not sure he jumps to a bigger market and he won't go to a team with any established stars is my guess (although maybe a team like Portland). NY is always out there but they are consistently a mismanaged mess and it's walking into a big pile of doodoo to sign with the Knicks. At one point it was suggested he would want to play for the Wizards, they'd need to move Porter to make that happen....

KD will get more money if there are lots of teams clamoring for him. So pretend to show interest in lots of teams, to get their fans all worked up about the possibilities. I have no reason to believe he wasn't sincere in his comments about our team, but I can't imagine him actually coming here.

Made me start thinking of all the players (and Van Gundys) over the years who have used the Kings to get a big contract elsewhere.

Even though we're just talkin trash on the KD stuff, it brings up a good larger discussion. If major names become interested in the Kings, it's because of what our team is accomplishing...and they are no where near their peak. We have an up and coming team of some very talented guys that have formed a tight brotherhood, play for each other, and share the ball. I would much rather retain our Fantastic Five than have a "star" roll in to demand the ball, draw all the attention, and suck up the money we will need to keep them. In short, I'll take Kings Basketball over the chance to inch a few steps closer to a championship trophy. Ideally, we'll invest in what we have and enjoy both!

Even though we're just talkin trash on the KD stuff, it brings up a good larger discussion. If major names become interested in the Kings, it's because of what our team is accomplishing...and they are no where near their peak. We have an up and coming team of some very talented guys that have formed a tight brotherhood, play for each other, and share the ball. I would much rather retain our Fantastic Five than have a "star" roll in to demand the ball, draw all the attention, and suck up the money we will need to keep them. In short, I'll take Kings Basketball over the chance to inch a few steps closer to a championship trophy. Ideally, we'll invest in what we have and enjoy both!
I am on the other end. If we can find the right player to come in here with the money we do have, said player would keep his value and t by e team would be much better for it. Ofcourse we are talking about a SF only.

The thing about KD is he does pass the all, Of all the “stars” he is among the most unselfish. That’s one reason he went to Golden State because they pass the ball also.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

MOD NOTE: This post is why I split the KD discussion off into its own thread. I think it brings up a valid topic of discussion.

KD will get more money if there are lots of teams clamoring for him. So pretend to show interest in lots of teams, to get their fans all worked up about the possibilities. I have no reason to believe he wasn't sincere in his comments about our team, but I can't imagine him actually coming here.

Made me start thinking of all the players (and Van Gundys) over the years who have used the Kings to get a big contract elsewhere.
U can't be serious... Money? KD is a priceless asset for any basketball team..

U can't be serious... Money? KD is a priceless asset for any basketball team..
That's the big question, isn't it? There's no question that the team would be better IF KD came here. I want to hear a lot more than a couple of compliments in the press before I consider it to be a serious possibility. If it is, I'll be pleasantly surprised. More likely, it won't lead to anything.

That's the big question, isn't it? There's no question that the team would be better IF KD came here. I want to hear a lot more than a couple of compliments in the press before I consider it to be a serious possibility. If it is, I'll be pleasantly surprised. More likely, it won't lead to anything.
Yeah but u sorta phrased it like a supply and demand thing. I'm pretty sure in a real KD-to-the-Kings scenario KD would name his terms and $$$ and Vlade would say where do i sign up!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah but u sorta phrased it like a supply and demand thing. I'm pretty sure in a real KD-to-the-Kings scenario KD would name his terms and $$$ and Vlade would say where do i sign up!
This. KD level guys are going to outperform their contracts even if those contracts are max level goliaths. If a KD/Lebron says "I want to come here," you do it no questions asked.