TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It appears as though Halston Sage will be starring in a new Netflix series, The Last Summer. While the producers of The Orville have yet to address her status on their show, it seems improbable that she will have much of a presence in Season 2, if she appears at all.
Considering The Orville only had 12 episodes last season, if they do the same this year she might easily be able to do both. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
After watching this latest episode, it finally dawned on me what the title referred to.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Huh. It's always intriguing to me to talk to someone who comes across these properties via movies/TV first, with no prior exposure to the source material. I wonder if this is how it feels to fans of novels when people get big into those properties, because of movie series?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Huh. It's always intriguing to me to talk to someone who comes across these properties via movies/TV first, with no prior exposure to the source material. I wonder if this is how it feels to fans of novels when people get big into those properties, because of movie series?
I've lived in the middle of a forest for the past 20 years. In addition, while the original Marvel and DC characters were pretty well known to me as my brother was an avid collector, that was a very long time ago. Comics have undergone some incredible changes since those days. The Walking Dead is my favorite show, but I have never seen it in its original form. I imagine there are many more TV shows (like Preacher) that have their roots in graphic novels of which I have no prior knowledge.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I have decided that I am not going to do a summer season/mid-season show rankings. Instead, I have made the "executive decision" that I will somewhat arbitrarily declare June 30, 2018 as the "official" conclusion of the 2017-18 television season, and any shows which debut on or after July 1, 2018 are part of the 2018-19 television season, according to My Personal Record Book (shout out to Stugotz).

So, with that said, here are the updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2017-18 season*, as of July 1, 2018, now with change from the previous rankings in parenthesis:

1. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (-)
  2. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (-)
  3. Black Lightning (-)
  4. S.W.A.T. (-)
  5. This is Us (-)
  6. Into the Badlands (NR)
  7. The Good Place (-1)
  8. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (+6)
  9. Brockmire (NR)
  10. The Americans (NR)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Falling out of the Top Ten: The Orville (-3), grown-ish (-3), MacGyver (-3), Scorpion (-7).

The reason why these are not the Final Standings is because there are still two shows that I'm watching, which premiered before July 1st, and are still running new episodes. Shout out to Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which debuted at #9 in the early rankings, and then dropped out of the Top Fifteen, before bouncing back with a strong finish on the back stretch. Shame to Scorpion which had debuted at #1, and ended out of the Top Ten (and will likely finish out of the Top Fifteen). That show had the opposite of a strong finishing stretch.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, 7 episodes in (if the previews can be believed, they're finally going to start utilizing their powers together? The rest of the season better merit the extended build up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So Hollywood has officially lost their collective minds. Saw two teasers on CBS last night:

Murphy Brown is returning with the original cast (at least those who are still breathing)
Magnum P.I. is being rebooted, with the same characters but an all new cast - and Higgins is now a woman. This is wrong on so many levels. Apparently CBS has no new ideas.

So Hollywood has officially lost their collective minds. Saw two teasers on CBS last night:

Murphy Brown is returning with the original cast (at least those who are still breathing)
Magnum P.I. is being rebooted, with the same characters but an all new cast - and Higgins is now a woman. This is wrong on so many levels. Apparently CBS has no new ideas.
That's pretty much been CBS's MO for the last couple of decades, though, right? They don't innovate. They don't really take chances. They just churn out variations of the same sitcoms and medical dramas and police procedurals. Dipping into the nostalgia bucket for populist reboots seems like a natural course of action for them...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

Counterpoint: as with the new S.W.A.T., I am far more likely to watch the remake of Magnum P.I. than I ever was the original series, which I didn't watch a minute of.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Counterpoint: as with the new S.W.A.T., I am far more likely to watch the remake of Magnum P.I. than I ever was the original series, which I didn't watch a minute of.
Whereas my stepmother went into labor with my sister but refused to leave for the hospital until Magnum P.I. was over. Thank goodness for the DVR!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Whereas my stepmother went into labor with my sister but refused to leave for the hospital until Magnum P.I. was over. Thank goodness for the DVR!
Glen A Larson and Donald Bellasario outdid themselves with Magnum P.I. It had everything you could have in a weekly series. Incredible scenery, handsome star, beautiful car, fantastic writing, great chemistry between the characters and just enough humor to lighten the mood. (And there wasn't too much romance.) I seriously doubt if any reboot will come anywhere. It was a perfect storm of a series.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, a time loop is certainly an interesting way to bypass a training montage. Loved the episode! Also:

The Cloak! We're going to see Ty in THE Cloak next week!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Re: Cloak and Dagger

I also loved the episode. I have no idea whatsoever your second spoiler refers to (although I can hazard a guess) so I'm looking forward to being surprised and perhaps even impressed. :)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Anybody else catch the first episode of The Outpost? I thought it showed potential but based on early ratings it might not last long enough to gain an audience.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished the latest season of Dark Matter on Netflix. I liked the premise and the actors. Some episodes were a bit better than others, especially earlier in the series. I thought Android was well played - enjoyed watching that role, especially in this last season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
been running out of shows to watch as of late so I've been giving Animal Kingdom a go....it's meh but I need something to get me through the summer.

Also just started Castle Rock and Sharp Objects, two shows who have some promise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just discovered Alone Together. I like it. :)
Status seems to be everything in Los Angeles, and two millennials from differing backgrounds strike up a platonic male-female friendship as they seek to navigate the streets of L.A. These two best friends, Esther and Benji, try to navigate the vanity of the city while watching each other's backs but also calling each other out for nonsense. Karey Burke, Freeform's executive vice president of programming and development, said, "Our audience will quickly fall in love, as we did with real-life best friends Esther and Benji, who navigate a world of perfect 10s as self-proclaimed 6s."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Cloak and Dagger just had the most satisfying season finale I think I've ever seen. I am totally going to be onboard for season 2.