TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If there isn't a Snoop bobblehead, there should be. I find that strangely mesmerizing...and, odd as it seems, somewhat soothing. I may need a nap.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am very happy about the last episode. Kudos to the writers for resolving the Walter/Florence situation. I appreciated the obvious jealousy on Sylvester's part. I liked the increased dynamic between Walter and Cabe. The writers have redeemed themselves IMO. :)

Roseanne did not disappoint. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do going forward. They've added something for everybody, with humor and without judgment IMHO.

Also caught up on my DVR watching. The Terror definitely has my interest. My only complaint is a petty one - I don't like sub-titles.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sterling K Brown guested on tonight's Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it was as amazing as you'd expect it to be.
He has rapidly become one of my favorite actors. He did an incredible job in the OJ Simpson: American Crime Story, playing Chris Darden better than Darden did originally. ;) His character Randall in Ths Is Us is one of the reasons I love that show. He's just one of those actors whose pride in their craft makes them a joy to watch.

My wife and I started season 2 of Netflix's Santa Clarita Diet last night. It was a delightfully twisted opening to the season. Most zombie fare tends to use the zombie menace as a metaphor for the regressiveness of the human condition, hence the apocalyptic stakes in most every zombie film or television show. But SCD uses the tropes of the zombie subgenre as a way of [humorously] magnifying the everyday struggles of life, of love, of marriage. Imagine Monty Python by way of George Romero. The show is also an excellent showcase of Timothy Olyphant's comedic chops. That guy earned endless goodwill from me for his work in both Deadwood and Justified, and it's nice to see him playing against type so seamlessly in SCD.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Holy crap. More stuff packed into this episode than I thought possible. Shocked and not shocked about Simon; he just about had to end up as a walker. Shocked and not shocked and maybe shocked again about Eugene - still not sure what side of the fence he's going to end up on. Carl's letters? Good grief. How many more of them are there? He needs to just be allowed to be permanently and forever dead. Can't wait for next week.

Last edited:
Just wrapped up all 7 seasons of GOT in about 2 months lol. Now I have to wait a year for season 8...I did not think this through .
Silicon Valley's new season is great so far. Now just waiting on WestWorld Season 2
VF...have you liked TWD? I've been pretty underwhelmed . I'm about 1 1/2 episodes behind

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just wrapped up all 7 seasons of GOT in about 2 months lol. Now I have to wait a year for season 8...I did not think this through .
Silicon Valley's new season is great so far. Now just waiting on WestWorld Season 2
VF...have you liked TWD? I've been pretty underwhelmed . I'm about 1 1/2 episodes behind
I don't think it's been the best season ever necessarily, but I think it's building up quite nicely to an incredible season finale. I'm truly amazed at how they can continue to develop characters the way they do so you care about them while actually knowing very little about them. Catch up on the season and we'll talk. :)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I am intentionally waiting until the series is finished before starting. I read the books, but don't have HBO so I will borrow the DVDs from a friend who is buying them all. When it is all over, that is.

I am intentionally waiting until the series is finished before starting. I read the books, but don't have HBO so I will borrow the DVDs from a friend who is buying them all. When it is all over, that is.
If you know someone with HBO you can use their account to get HBOgo for free. Not sure if it's only through Amazon prime or not. I'd give you my account info, but I'm using my sister in laws lol. But looks like you have it covered with the DVDs. Based on your movie/show taste, you will love it. It's pretty epic

I don't think it's been the best season ever necessarily, but I think it's building up quite nicely to an incredible season finale. I'm truly amazed at how they can continue to develop characters the way they do so you care about them while actually knowing very little about them. Catch up on the season and we'll talk. :)
Will get caught up tonight and let you know. As long as that sassy mouthed Simon gets killed I'll be content

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Since it's been a few months, here's Mr. Slim's updated personal Top 10 shows of the 2017-18 season* (as of April 11, 2018):

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow**
Black Lightning
S.W.A.T.
This is Us**
The Good Place**
Scorpion
The Orville**
grown-ish**
MacGyver

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows
** - season has concluded

I gotta say, it's interesting to see how my opinion on some of these shows have changed from October to now. Grey's Anatomy's 14th season got off to an unexpectedly strong start, but has sort of dragged since the 300th episode, plus I'm not feeling the whole quasi-incestual-but-not-really thing going on between Jackson and Maggie. I presume that the decision to put an end to the on-again/off-again relationship between Avery and Kepner has to do with
Sarah Drew leaving the show... along with Jessica Capshaw.
Speaking of the second part of that,
in hindsight it seems kind of stupid how they made a big storyline out of whether Callie or Arizona got custody of Sophia, to then have her end up choosing to go back to Seattle to be with Arizona, only for them to turn around and write Arizona off, too.

Scorpion has similarly fallen off, primarily because of this whole Walter/Paige/Florence business. And the teaser for the next episode seemed to suggest that my initial guess for how this was going to be resolved might not be too far off the mark... On the other end of the spectrum, Legends of Tomorrow, which started off slow, took a level up, primarily because of Neal McDonough's spectacular scenery-chewing. Also (and I'm taking the word of people I trust who watched the show, since I didn't), they've done a good job of integrating John Constantine into the show, and apparently getting right a lot of the aspects of his character that NBC didn't allow on his own series. Actually, when I think about it, Legends was the only one of the four main Arrowverse shows that has been consistently good after the Earth-X crossover earlier this season. The other shows that have dropped out of my Top Ten have had less to do with any significant decline, and more to do with other shows I liked better starting mid-season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't get Netflix or any of the other streaming services, so I miss some of the things I imagine I would probably like. My current Top 10, in no particular order, are:

The Walking Dead
Scorpion
Young Spencer
This is Us
Roseanne
The Good Doctor
Lethal Weapon
SEAL Team
MacGyver
Instinct

Unless you (meaning S£im) know something about Ari Stidham leaving the cast, I don't see Sylvester walking away but we'll see. I think they'll use it as the cliffhanger tease.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If you know someone with HBO you can use their account to get HBOgo for free. Not sure if it's only through Amazon prime or not. I'd give you my account info, but I'm using my sister in laws lol. But looks like you have it covered with the DVDs. Based on your movie/show taste, you will love it. It's pretty epic
No worries, but thanks for the thought. He's got most of the seasons already and is picking them up as they are released I think. I live in the country, so when I stream video it chews up most of the available bandwidth for the house. I still do it ;), I just try to borrow disks for things like this when convenient.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Admittedly, everybody but Cabe walking out on him was a twist I didn't see coming. But, at least Cabe staying makes sense. The bigger surprise was that they all decided to stay together, working with/for Paige.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm not really sure what's going on with this show: they've essentially written Ducky out, even though they haven't officially confirmed that David McCallum is leaving. Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that Pauley Perrette is leaving the show, and yet they haven't even hinted at a storyline that will bring a natural and/or satisfying conclusion to the Abby character...

... Which makes me think that she's going to get killed off.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am so incredibly glad Mr. S£im was wrong! An NCIS world without Abbie is not one I wanted to keep watching. Now, I can be content with the idea that she might actually appear here and there. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was pleasantly(ish) surprised to be wrong about that, until I learned that
the departure of the Abby Sciuto character seems to confirm the prevalent rumors that Pauley Perrette is leaving the show over a breakdown in the relationship between her and Mark Harmon.

Finally wrapped it up.....just very underwhelmed. I’ll still watch, but I find myself paying less and less attention every time I watch (probably why it took me this long to finish lol). I love a slow burn, but this to me has just gotten boring and the writing sloppy. Maybe I should read the comic books, might change my perspective.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Finally wrapped it up.....just very underwhelmed. I’ll still watch, but I find myself paying less and less attention every time I watch (probably why it took me this long to finish lol). I love a slow burn, but this to me has just gotten boring and the writing sloppy. Maybe I should read the comic books, might change my perspective.
The comic books would definitely change your perspective, since some characters in TWD don't exist in the comics and some plot lines are pretty different.

I think there's going to be a major paradigm shift next season, with the tease about Daryl and his feelings towards Rick. I still love the character dynamics, which is what keeps me coming back.

Right now, Fear of the Walking Dead is more compelling to me than TWD, but I think it's a natural progression. Morgan has crossed over to Fear and his character has some incredible insights.