Temple Traded for Ben McLemore and Deyonte Davis (merged)

Was reading this about trades, so they can be moved in the right circumstance, paired with other salary.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/four-common-misconceptions-about-nba-trades.html

There are a number of rules in the CBA that limit a team’s ability to reacquire a player after trading him. For instance, the Bucks weren’t able to re-sign Greg Monroe after the Suns bought him out last week, since Milwaukee traded Monroe to Phoenix earlier this season. The Celtics currently aren’t able to reacquire Avery Bradley in a trade, since they dealt him to Detroit at the start of the 2017/18 league year.

However, even though the Celtics and Pistons can’t currently acquire Bradley from the Clippers, the veteran guard is eligible to be traded again this week. The CBA only prevents the Clips from aggregating Bradley’s salary with another player’s salary in a trade for two months after acquiring him.

What exactly does that mean? Well, Bradley is currently earning $8,808,989. So if the Clippers want to acquire a player earning $20MM by packaging Bradley with Austin Rivers (whose salary is $11,825,000), they wouldn’t be able to do so, since Bradley’s salary would have to be aggregated with Rivers’ to match that $20MM cap figure. But if the Clips simply want to acquire a player earning $9MM, sending out Bradley on his own would be fine, since his salary isn’t been aggregated with another player’s salary in that scenario.

This doesn’t mean that Bradley has to be the only outgoing piece in any trade involving him. For instance, if the Clippers wanted to trade Bradley and DeAndre Jordan ($22,642,350) for a player earning $25MM, that would be okay. Jordan’s salary on its own is large enough to “match” a player earning $25MM, so Bradley’s salary doesn’t need to be aggregated with Jordan’s, even though it’d be a two-for-one deal.

If only this were the extent of it. We didn't need the Sac Bee to tell us Ben was not the brightest bulb in the shed, but intelligence is not where his problems begin or end. He has issues with toughness, defensive awareness, playing through contact, shooting consistency, using his left hand, creating space, anticipating plays and rebounds, getting lost on back cuts, etc. He has (had) a lot of issues. You could argue his intelligence has affected his ability to address the areas that have held him back. There is allegedly a correlation between IQ and reaction time and I believe this to be true. The smarter you are the more you are able to process information, sort it, order it, process it, discern relevant from irrelevant stimuli, make the correct decisions and take appropriate actions.

The latter issue you raise is one of professionalism and work ethic. My recollection however is the Kings coaches applauded Ben for how hard he worked, it just never translated. The last point when Ben says he didn't know his role, I think this was an inelegant way of saying he didn't know how he fit in the offense. He didn't know if or when or where shots would come from. There was a degree of truth to this with Boogie dominating possessions as much as he did. Ben was never more than the 4th or 5th option on offense. While it is true he did not do anything to deserve a more prominent role, I can somewhat sympathize with a guy who would run and down the floor for whole quarters without the ball coming to him. I have mixed feelings on this and don't want to sound like I am defending Ben, but Boogie could be a ball hog. It is hard to play with a ball hog.

It is conceivable Ben would fit better in an uptempo style getting out on the break with Fox and Bagley. It is easier to envision success for him this way than half court, to the extent he is even capable of being a rotational player getting 15-20 MPG. I am not even saying this is possible. It is the best case scenario if the stars align or some other divine supernatural event bestows the player and team.
Ummmmm....it's "Brightest bulb in the lamp, or sharpest tool in the shed."

Offering an honest assessment of his season is not "disrespect". And neither is excluding him from future plans and letting him know in no uncertain terms. I mean, it all depends how you word it, right ? I am not saying above is what I would say verbatim. Maybe I would I don't know depends on the push back I got from the agent LOL. But this speaks to my main point that those discussions, regardless of how blunt or tactful they may have been precipitated today. Today was likely following through on mutual desire for both parties to move on. There was speculation this is the first step preceding another move. I hope so and I hope we get Capella but I think today happens whether we have another move in the works or not.
I take it you have never managed people. There’s a difference between honest assessment and providing goals to improve ones weaknesses, and trashing an employee out the door. Even if they believed it (which by the way I can assure you they don’t) what purpose would it be to tell him “we are unhappy and dissatisfied with your play”. Maybe we are mincing words here, but your premise is silly.

I am glad you are back. It is sweeter the second time around. I hope you can finally make your sweet looking jumper consistently.

I was ecstatic when the Kings drafted you in 2013. Now is the time to make a major leap ala Steve Nash when he came to Phoenix (wishful thinking,. but a Garret Temple 2.0 would be very fine.
Problem is Nash was very good with the Mavs. Ben has never been any good. Personally, I hope he isn’t on the roster come opening day.

If only this were the extent of it. We didn't need the Sac Bee to tell us Ben was not the brightest bulb in the shed, but intelligence is not where his problems begin or end. He has issues with toughness, defensive awareness, playing through contact, shooting consistency, using his left hand, creating space, anticipating plays and rebounds, getting lost on back cuts, etc. He has (had) a lot of issues. You could argue his intelligence has affected his ability to address the areas that have held him back. There is allegedly a correlation between IQ and reaction time and I believe this to be true. The smarter you are the more you are able to process information, sort it, order it, process it, discern relevant from irrelevant stimuli, make the correct decisions and take appropriate actions.

The latter issue you raise is one of professionalism and work ethic. My recollection however is the Kings coaches applauded Ben for how hard he worked, it just never translated. The last point when Ben says he didn't know his role, I think this was an inelegant way of saying he didn't know how he fit in the offense. He didn't know if or when or where shots would come from. There was a degree of truth to this with Boogie dominating possessions as much as he did. Ben was never more than the 4th or 5th option on offense. While it is true he did not do anything to deserve a more prominent role, I can somewhat sympathize with a guy who would run and down the floor for whole quarters without the ball coming to him. I have mixed feelings on this and don't want to sound like I am defending Ben, but Boogie could be a ball hog. It is hard to play with a ball hog.

It is conceivable Ben would fit better in an uptempo style getting out on the break with Fox and Bagley. It is easier to envision success for him this way than half court, to the extent he is even capable of being a rotational player getting 15-20 MPG. I am not even saying this is possible. It is the best case scenario if the stars align or some other divine supernatural event bestows the player and team.
I agree. All that needs to be understood is that not one SG performed well with Boogie on the team. Not even proven vets.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this move was made to clear up more playing time for the youth and to create a tad bit more cap space....I'd like to hope that they won't toss a max towards Capela but I never doubt Vlade and what he wouldn't do...I'd rather they sway another trade or acquire a first rounder for next season or 2020

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm starting to wonder if we're going to take on Wiggins and his bloated contract.

With both KAT and Jimmy Butler poised to get extensions next summer and Wiggins lack of development coupled with rumors that Wiggins is unhappy with his rile and Butler is unhappy with the lackadaisical play of his young teammates I could see Thibs looking to ship him out for cap relief.

Not a deal I want to see the Kings make but I'm trying to figure out why the Kings made a deal to open up even more space.

Maybe it is just doing Temple a favor but it was his choice to opt in and I would have just rather seen the Kings keep him if that's the case.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Temple wasn’t going to play a big role here this year. Of course you do him a solid. Agents have to see this and figure that the Kings are not quite the crap show as they used to be. Might help with mid level to better types in coming to us in free agency. If you got guys like Vince Carter and Temple endorsing their time in the organization, it’s a step in the right direction. Better than them trashing the organization.

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to take on Wiggins and his bloated contract.

With both KAT and Jimmy Butler poised to get extensions next summer and Wiggins lack of development coupled with rumors that Wiggins is unhappy with his rile and Butler is unhappy with the lackadaisical play of his young teammates I could see Thibs looking to ship him out for cap relief.

Not a deal I want to see the Kings make but I'm trying to figure out why the Kings made a deal to open up even more space.

Maybe it is just doing Temple a favor but it was his choice to opt in and I would have just rather seen the Kings keep him if that's the case.
I can see that happening. I just hope if it does we get additional sweeteners not just the privilege to pay Wiggins.

I am seriously hopeful he can turn things around. He has all the tools to have meaningful minutes in this league. Just because his jumper is similar to Ray Allen does not necessarily mean he should be a volume shooter like Buddy.

Better decision making specially on the defensive end will make him a key part of our rotation. Ben is more skilled and athletic than Garret, imagine if Ben has the same maturity and decision making that Garret has?

Welcome Back B-MAC 23!
You really are an optimistic guy... I have less than 0% hope Ben can be a meaningful player in this league. No way, he's just bad and he had all the opportunities in this world to prove he's worth something. And he failed.
Like others said, Ben's problem is between his ears. Jumping high and having a nice looking shot doesn't make you an NBA player. Ben just doesn't have it. There's no hope here, just a trash player we should cut immediately. I don't want to see him even for a minute in a Kings jersey anymore.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You mean like JT? or Jimmer? or Papa G? Or Willie? Oh wait, not yet (for Willie).
Willie has a place in the NBA, just not as a starting center. He may need to change teams, maybe more than once, in order to get humbled and really contribute to a winning team but with the Kings? I don't see it happening.

Willie has a place in the NBA, just not as a starting center. He may need to change teams, maybe more than once, in order to get humbled and really contribute to a winning team but with the Kings? I don't see it happening.
I feel you're right, if the kings were confident in willie, then they wouldn't keep drafting bigs (like Giles and Bags).
I only see partying and painting (no hard work). He's not strong enough to play against bigger centers. His free throw shot has gotten worse, he thinks hes a primary option on offense, etc.
I don't see it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Why? How many wins do you think the absence of Temple costs the Kings next year?

Last edited by a moderator:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why? How many wins do you think the absence of Temple costs the Kings next year?
In a vacuum trading Temple for a 2nd rounder while reducing salary for this season while not adding any for next season is a net positive.

And my assumption is that Davis will be waived and the cash considerations from Memphis are made to facilitate that.

But until that happens the Kings are team with one roster spot remaining and very much in need of a SF and a backup PG. Temple at least offered the versatility of backing up 1-3. He's an emergency PG and I don't like him there but he's done it. McLemore is strictly a SG and possibly a downgrade from Temple at that spot.

So as things stand today the Kings have gained a 2nd round pick and $1 million in caproom but there are still roster holes for this season that have been exacerbated by this deal.

And honestly for a young team I'd rather have a high IQ, good locker room veteran at the end of the bench than low IQ guys in McLemore and Davis who offer little on the floor and nothing off the floor in terms of helping these kids adjust and develop. In Davis' case it sounds like he may even be a net negative in the locker room.

So hopefully both Ben and Deyonte are waived soon but then the Kings have three spots to fill instead of two.