Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

I don't understand what Ainge is doing. He's messing with the chemistry and identity of that team. Trading Bradley to me is just a big mistake.
I'm a big fan of Bradley and I don't get it either. I think they're trying to do what the Warriors did by adding Durant even though their bench took a hit. The difference is that Boston's starting lineup and bench will take a hit plus Hayward is like 2 tiers below Durant. I don't see this working out the way Ainge thinks it will.

He ****ed up a while back when he could have had a Butler/Hayword combo
If Ainge played his cards right, he would have Hayward, George and Josh Jackson..... that's a better team than the Cavs.

Instead he traded one the best defensive guard in NBA for Morris....meh.

He's managing his salary cap not his championship aspirations.

I didn't realize Bradley is an UFA vs Smart RFA after end of next season, so I am sure that went into his thought process.

But Bradley is just better than Smart .... and I am sure he could have found a taker for Smart.

Another bad move after a bad draft.

Don't worry about us not scoring on Crowder. That was never going to happen.

While I agree that it seems like they have overpaid for these three players, there are two things to consider here:

1. The Heat have a history of trying to remain a competitive team rather than one of those that blows it up and tanks. So it should come as no surprise that they have tried to do the same here by adding two players that did well for them last season and taking a gamble that Olynk can continue his development in Miami.

2. The Heat are likely gambling that the second half of their season when they went 30-11 is a truer reflection of their team than the first half of their season when they went 11-30. Remember no team has ever finished .500 after starting going 11-30. So if they can start this coming season and play like they did in the second half, they'll be a play off team and possible top four seed contender, that's the gamble they've taken.

Now I appreciate that in all likelihood they aren't going to get past the Cavs in the east, but they are at least going to try and make the best of things with Dragic and Whiteside as their main players and support them and compete rather than give up.
4 years of JJ and a player option?

That should get you fired.

I don't understand what Ainge is doing. He's messing with the chemistry and identity of that team. Trading Bradley to me is just a big mistake.
Bradley is a fantastic defender, but on an expiring deal. He probably assumes he can't keep him next year.

With Smart he can work a sign & trade or see what he is offered first before committing money to after this season, Crowder is cheap.

71M for Tim Hardaway Jr. LOL

No way will the Hawks match on that....worst signing of free agency....

Knicks should have kept Phil!!!!
James Johnson is worse, he's all ready 30.

At least Tim is just 25 so there is hope for improvement.

Jrue Holiday's is bad too, but they were in a bind. Bad contracts forced them to pay up. So it's like a double dip of bad loot.

They have to gamble though with Cuz expiring.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19874801/zach-lowe-nba-free-agency-winners-losers

Winner/checks paperwork to be sure: The Kangz!!!
Lots of folks bashed the Kings for paying Hill and Randolph almost $30 million per year combined: Why not play the kids, tank, and use their cap space to snag draft picks in salary dumps!?!?

Look: I get assuming everything the Kings do is dumb. They've earned skepticism. These signings, including Thursday's one-year deal for Vince Carter, are not dumb. You cannot rip the tanktastic Sixers for failing to surround their baby bigs with a veteran point guard who could, you know, set up the offense, and then rip the Kings for signing Hill.

These deals may thread the needle in bringing veteran mentors who won't produce enough wins to derail the tank, or clog Sacto's cap sheet beyond this season. The Kings are still going to be really bad.

It's fair to ask whether the Kings really needed to sign both Randolph and Carter, in addition to Hill. They will now carry only something like $7 million in cap space into the season, not enough to serve as a major salary-dumping ground. If both Koufos and Temple opt in for 2018-19, the Kings will have $90 million on the payroll for that season -- leaving them with only $12 million in space next summer. Considering Sacto is every veteran's leverage play, maybe that isn't so bad, either.

I understand what Ainge is doing - he really needed someone other than IT to be able to get his own shot on the Celtics. They couldn't hope to compete with Cleveland when everybody and their sister knew IT was going to be taking the shots in the 4th quarter. But Ainge did have to pay a big price with the trading of Bradley, so adding Hayward wasn't all good in the end, just partially good.

James Johnson is worse, he's all ready 30.

At least Tim is just 25 so there is hope for improvement.

Jrue Holiday's is bad too, but they were in a bind. Bad contracts forced them to pay up. So it's like a double dip of bad loot.

They have to gamble though with Cuz expiring.
James Johnson got his body right after he left SAC. He can play point forward, has handles to drive and dish and can defend. He turned his career around with the help of Spoelstra and that system. He averaged 13/5/4 on Heat team that tore up the league in the second half. Even though he's 30 he doesn't have a ton of miles on him averaging 20 MPG over his career. I would rather have him at 4/60 than Hardaway 4/71. Hardway is a mediocre defender and 35% on threes on his career, very McLemore-esque!

I do agree that the Pelicans were in a bind because even if they renounced on Holiday they would have only have $12M in cap space, which wasn't going to get them Lowry, Teague or George Hill. They had to overpay or risk losing him and not being able to afford any other of the top free agent PGs.

I understand what Ainge is doing - he really needed someone other than IT to be able to get his own shot on the Celtics..
Umm.....Paul George??!?

I don't care how the media or Ainge wants to spin it. There was suggestion that Pritchard was betrayed by George wanting to leave Indiana without advance notice and as result he wasn't going to accommodate him by sending him to championship caliber team, sending him out West instead so he would not have to face him four times a year, and no matter what Danny offered Pacers GM was not going send George to Boston.... I think this B.S!

Self-interest and self-preservation takes precedent over personal grudge. I want to give credit to GM that he will do what is in the best interest of his himself and his team instead of being vindictive towards a player.

But this is where you needed a savvy GM to be aggressive and frequent contact and amicable relationship to make sure the player you are wanting is not getting stolen from under you! By all accounts this is what happened to Ainge. The trade of George to Thunder to him and every team in the league by shock.

A trade package of Crowder, Bradley and future #1 picks easily trumps Oladipo and Sabonis. I know you cannot prevent another GM from being an idiot, but my understanding is that Ainge was not in contact with the Pacers leading up to this trade, with his ego and stingy trade tactics working against him. If I am a fan of the Celtics, and as a fan of the NBA in general, I am holding Ainge culpable for this botched negotiation.

Ainge had a his dominoes lined up to put together a super team (with Hayward, George, Isaiah, Horford and Josh Jackson), and he blew it.

http://twitter.com/wojespn/status/883386535768453124

Tyreke to Memphis, 1yr/3.3 mil

Poor guys stock is non-existent. Gotta feel for him (as much as you can feel for millionaires playing basketball) when Langston freakin' Galloway can make 7 times your salary.
Remember "The Blueprint" that his people came up with, which included multiple max contracts over his career? I genuinely enjoyed watching Tyreke dominate with his driving ability. He improved some on his jumpshot but it was never deadly and injuries were the difference between 10o mil deals and this. I do feel for the guy.

Umm.....Paul George??!?

I don't care how the media or Ainge wants to spin it. There was suggestion that Pritchard was betrayed by George wanting to leave Indiana without advance notice and as result he wasn't going to accommodate him by sending him to championship caliber team, sending him out West instead so he would not have to face him four times a year, and no matter what Danny offered Pacers GM was not going send George to Boston.... I think this B.S!

Self-interest and self-preservation takes precedent over personal grudge. I want to give credit to GM that he will do what is in the best interest of his himself and his team instead of being vindictive towards a player.

But this is where you needed a savvy GM to be aggressive and frequent contact and amicable relationship to make sure the player you are wanting is not getting stolen from under you! By all accounts this is what happened to Ainge. The trade of George to Thunder to him and every team in the league by shock.

A trade package of Crowder, Bradley and future #1 picks easily trumps Oladipo and Sabonis. I know you cannot prevent another GM from being an idiot, but my understanding is that Ainge was not in contact with the Pacers leading up to this trade, with his ego and stingy trade tactics working against him. If I am a fan of the Celtics, and as a fan of the NBA in general, I am holding Ainge culpable for this botched negotiation.

Ainge had a his dominoes lined up to put together a super team (with Hayward, George, Isaiah, Horford and Josh Jackson), and he blew it.
Not getting one guy who can get his own shot for another guy who can get his own shot doesn't obviate the fact that Ainge needs another guy on his team who can get his own shot. Would Paul George have been preferable? Sure. But Hayward fits the bill also. And longer term, Tatum also fits the need to have more than just IT as the only legit offensive weapon who can get his own shot. A bunch of defensive players plus IT obviously doesn't cut it if you want to win the East, much less the NBA Championship.

Not getting one guy who can get his own shot for another guy who can get his own shot doesn't obviate the fact that Ainge needs another guy on his team who can get his own shot. Would Paul George have been preferable? Sure. But Hayward fits the bill also. And longer term, Tatum also fits the need to have more than just IT as the only legit offensive weapon who can get his own shot. A bunch of defensive players plus IT obviously doesn't cut it if you want to win the East, much less the NBA Championship.
What you are saying his true....but doesn't change my perspective that Ainge blew it. Tatum was a mistake and not nurturing relationship with Pritchard was a mistake. Getting deals get done occur when you have open lines of communication not when you let the rug to be pulled out from under you. If nothing else, I am on the phone with Pritchard every day twice per day! I am saying to him what does it take to get this done? I am not desperate but I am persistent. I am letting him know before you pull the trigger check with me and if I don't hear from you you are going to hear from me. Don't mind me for being a nuisance but let's see if we can make this work for both sides. Let's explore ways to make this a win-win and make the most of less than an ideal situation. I don't think this is what Ainge did. His ego would not allow it and it cost his team.

4 years of JJ and a player option?

That should get you fired.
His stat line from last season:

76 (G) / 5 (GS) / 27.4 (MP) / .479 (FG%) / .340 (3P%) / .548 (2P%) / 4.9 (TRB) / 3.6 (AST) / 1.0 (STL) / 1.1 (BLK) / 12.8 (PTS)

His per 36 minutes:

6.5 (TRB) / 4.8 (AST) / 1.3 (STL) / 1.5 (BLK) / 16.8 (PTS)

If JJ manages to replicate his contributions on court for the Heat over the next 3-4 seasons, then that contract is fair value for a big that does what he can at both ends of the court. He also fits nicely next to Whiteside. I do agree that $60 million over 4 years is a lot for a player that only broke out in his eighth season, but he did show a lot for the Heat last season and I am guessing that their bet is he can at least match that production over the next 3-4 years.

Realistically there is only Pau Gasol available in free agency that could possibly do a better job, but he is 37 years old on the downward trend of his career. He could possibly fit into what Miami do but he is only a year-to-year player at this stage in his career. At least JJ is potentially offering them a few years of good production if he can replicate what he did last season.

Umm.....Paul George??!?

I will say that's a lot to give up for a one year rental of paul george, but since ainge didn't even talk to IND, then I don't know if PG would have signed an extension. PG is a better fit than Hayward IMO. Also, i didnt like the hortford signing. I thought that contract is abysmal. I think Bos should have traded for DMC and then traded for PG. Sure BOS would not have any more appealing draft picks but a line up of DMC and PG with Thomas would be a nice foundation and they would have more salary cap room to make additional moves.

What you are saying his true....but doesn't change my perspective that Ainge blew it. Tatum was a mistake and not nurturing relationship with Pritchard was a mistake. Getting deals get done occur when you have open lines of communication not when you let the rug to be pulled out from under you. If nothing else, I am on the phone with Pritchard every day twice per day! I am saying to him what does it take to get this done? I am not desperate but I am persistent. I am letting him know before you pull the trigger check with me and if I don't hear from you you are going to hear from me. Don't mind me for being a nuisance but let's see if we can make this work for both sides. Let's explore ways to make this a win-win and make the most of less than an ideal situation. I don't think this is what Ainge did. His ego would not allow it and it cost his team.
Blob you have a weird dislike for Tatum. He showed up big time in the SL on a roster full of GLeague with no real PG, but you're still insistent that he'll be a bust. There's one thing to dislike how a player plays, but another to call him a bust because you dislike it. Jayson Tatum will prove you wrong in the NBA. Drafting him was not a mistake. There's a very good argument for Tatum over Jackson. Celtics needed another a co-scorer alongside IT. There's no one on that Celtics squad that can consistently create their own shot. Tatum is a player who can take pressure off of IT, and grind defenses to death. He can score at all 3 levels as a wing. He can shoot the 3 better than Jackson. Jackson is more of a point-forward, and the Celtics don't need that type of player.

I will say that's a lot to give up for a one year rental of paul george, but since ainge didn't even talk to IND, then I don't know if PG would have signed an extension. PG is a better fit than Hayward IMO. Also, i didnt like the hortford signing. I thought that contract is abysmal. I think Bos should have traded for DMC and then traded for PG. Sure BOS would not have any more appealing draft picks but a line up of DMC and PG with Thomas would be a nice foundation and they would have more salary cap room to make additional moves.
This is the (legitimate) criticism of Ainge. He keeps "kicking the can down the road" instead of consolidating the assets and going all in. The risk he was afraid to take was relentless pursuit of George to surpass the Cavs who are vulnerable with GM vacancy and trying to unload Love and neutral to worse moves (Korver, Calderon) to improve their roster. Adding George would be unfortunate for them if it turned into one year rental but if it led to NBA Final whether they win it all or not that would be enough IMHO to lead to George to sign an extension. George would have neutralized LeBron or at least make him work harder than anyone. If he passes on that potential, what the heck is waiting for? If he keeps postponing going all in, then he also keeps postponing failure if it doesn't work out.

Blob you have a weird dislike for Tatum. He showed up big time in the SL on a roster full of GLeague with no real PG, but you're still insistent that he'll be a bust. There's one thing to dislike how a player plays, but another to call him a bust because you dislike it. Jayson Tatum will prove you wrong in the NBA. Drafting him was not a mistake. There's a very good argument for Tatum over Jackson. Celtics needed another a co-scorer alongside IT. There's no one on that Celtics squad that can consistently create their own shot. Tatum is a player who can take pressure off of IT, and grind defenses to death. He can score at all 3 levels as a wing. He can shoot the 3 better than Jackson. Jackson is more of a point-forward, and the Celtics don't need that type of player.
I don't dislike him personally. I don't like his game. I am also not insisting he will be a bust. If he makes his shots he will be okay.