Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
But maybe Bodgan is not officially on the books....and we can go over the cap to sign him???
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Kings have to wait to ink a deal with Bodgan since he's not technically a free agent. We own his rights so I think we could sign him at any time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
These are good players but the Kings just went all in to win a max of 30 games again. They're forever in a "win now" mode that leaves valuable assets on the table in order to fight for the 11th spot in the West. Trying to win now made sense with Cousins on the roster but now you don't have to pander to anyone and can do a proper rebuild. I think the impatience is going to be a mistake. Porter somehow signing would make me feel better about all this but the odds of that are pretty low at the moment. Fingers crossed on that one.
I have to agree with Entity that you're totally off the mark with this comment.

You do not build a successful team by taking all rookies and tossing them to the wolves. You blend a few talented veterans with mentoring skills into the mix to help them. What Vlade has done this off-season is about as far from "win now" as you could possibly get.

These are good players but the Kings just went all in to win a max of 30 games again. They're forever in a "win now" mode that leaves valuable assets on the table in order to fight for the 11th spot in the West. Trying to win now made sense with Cousins on the roster but now you don't have to pander to anyone and can do a proper rebuild. I think the impatience is going to be a mistake. Porter somehow signing would make me feel better about all this but the odds of that are pretty low at the moment. Fingers crossed on that one.
It is not impatience. It is prudence. It's bringing Fox and Skal and rest of the guys along at proper pace. Their development can be accelerated based on performance not undermined because there are no better options. Let's say Skal makes an epic leap. Then maybe he plays 33 MPG by second half of the season. And Z-Bo plays 15 MPG or less. Say on the other hand Skal experiences more growing pains than expected. Then Z-Bo is closer to maybe 25 MPG. This is value of having proven vets. The young guys can be brought along commensurate with performance not force fed minutes before they are ready. Z-Bo still has to prove his value but you get the idea. I like this too because I trust in Joerger to dispense the minutes appropriately.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Kings have to wait to ink a deal with Bodgan since he's not technically a free agent. We own his rights so I think we could sign him at any time.
The speculation was that the Kings would keep Bogdan off the books long enough to have space for Otto (under the cap), then go over the cap to sign Bogdan, though they already have the deal in principle.

You do not build a successful team by taking all rookies and tossing them to the wolves. You blend a few talented veterans with mentoring skills into the mix to help them. What Vlade has done this off-season is about as far from "win now" as you could possibly get.
Temple and KK were already on the roster. We have a competent coaching staff. How many guys with mentoring skills do we actually need?
I get the Hill signing. Good player, fits what we try to do here, because he plays D and can shoot. But the Zbo signing left me totally confused. Joerger knows him and I trust Joerger, but again - how many mentors do you really need, because all the Kings and their fans are talking right now are things like character, culture, mentorship.

Entity

Hall of Famer

You need guys to mentor the youngsters. Guys that have been around and seen a lot. You can't however place all that responsibility squarely on the shoulders of Garrett temple and kosta. These are top notch guys that also fill a need in depth. Randolph has battled against some of the best and can teach all of our bigs a lot. Hill is a good floor general that knows how to get teammates involved and score. Also can teach a lot. Now I'd like Otto because he is there and ready for his prime. I would not be disappointed in Vince Carter or cj miles for the same reasons as zbo and hill

Who posted statistical facts? - you mean like these, dude:

G GS MPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS

Hill
CareerNBA599374173575.211.4.4531.54.1.3803.67.3.4942.73.4.8020.73.34.04.21.20.41.62.714.6

Lawson
CareerNBA551344160885.612.1.4601.13.0.3594.59.2.4933.44.4.7700.82.63.47.41.40.12.62.015.6

I certainly will believe what I want - have a nice day.
Is this supposed to make some sort of sense?
No one agrees with you! No One!

You ask for who posted statistics?
I did!

Here's another one!

Posting Lawson's career statistics mean nothing. He fell off years ago! Last year he showed "SOME FLASHES" of his past self but he is a shell of what he used to be. A SHELL.

I watch every game and his height was frequently a liability. Lawson has speed and passing on Hill. That's it! I would much rather prefer a point guard that can actually hit a wide open shot. Hill can slide over to the 2. If Lawson is so good why hasn't he signed?

You want some statistics on Ty Lawson?
In 2008, 20-year-old Lawson pleaded guiltyto underage drinking and driving
In April 2012 in Arapahoe County, Colorado, Lawson was cited for careless driving,
Lawson was arrested in Denver on January 29, 2013 for avoiding prosecution for these offenses
On August 17, 2013, Lawson and his girlfriend, Ashley Pettiford, were arrested by police in Arapahoe County responding to a domestic violence call.
On January 23, 2015, Lawson was arrested in Denver after driving almost twice the speed limit while under the influence of alcohol.
On July 14, 2015, Lawson was arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of driving under the influence.

There's your statistics!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Temple and KK were already on the roster. We have a competent coaching staff. How many guys with mentoring skills do we actually need?
I get the Hill signing. Good player, fits what we try to do here, because he plays D and can shoot. But the Zbo signing left me totally confused. Joerger knows him and I trust Joerger, but again - how many mentors do you really need, because all the Kings and their fans are talking right now are things like character, culture, mentorship.
How many? More than 2. That's how successful teams are built. Zbo can teach a kind of big man toughness much better than KK. Hill is incredible off the ball and his defense is also pretty danged good. Temple and KK also have their strengths both on and off the court to create a solid foundation of technique, skill and TRUST - something all the really good teams seem to have in abundance.

If you don't agree, fine. I'm not gonna argue. All I know (from a personal viewpoint) is that this is an incredible change of direction and vision for the team I've loved since 1985. I personally haven't felt this good about things since Geoff Petrie started getting our attention back in the day. Vlade is doing things the right way and it's a good time to be a Kings fan.

This is the new norm with ridiculous contracts......I'm not over it either, and I do want to see the young guys on the floor more than these free agents. I think the management is trying to round off their roster more than win-now. Wait to see how Joerger sets up rotations before really judging it. I'm left wondering about Lawson though...at least until he resigns somewhere else.

Solid veteran signings who will not effect the ping pong balls.

These vets can actually still produce and lead by example if needed, solid citizens, we are heading down the right path, just need a defensive wing now.

A small concern is that Joerger tends to ride vets a bit too much so it would have made sense to not give him any choice but to play young guys.

But we would be fielding basically a summer league team in the actual NBA. We would have a hard time winning 10 total games this year without any vets which can destroy a franchise and the confidence of young players. For that reason alone I like these additions IMO theres a big difference between 7 wins and 19-22 wins.

George Hill last year was better in
  1. fg%
  2. 3pt% *Way better
  3. ft%
  4. TRB
  5. Blocks
  6. Fewer TO
  7. Points
  8. PER
  9. Higher Offensive Rating
  10. Lower Defensive Rating
  11. TS%
  12. Offensive Win Shares
  13. Defensive Win Shares
  14. Win Shares/48
  15. Offensive Box +/-
  16. Defensive Box +/-
  17. Box +/-
  18. VORP
Ty Lawson was better in
  1. Assists
  2. Steals

*It's pretty clear 18 statistical categores is better than 2.
http://www.basketball-reference.com...wson&y2=2017&player_id2=lawsoty01&idx=players

Ty Lawson shot LESS THAN 28% from downtown last year.
George Hill shot MORE THAN 40% from downtown last year.

Defenders would just sag off and dare Lawson to shoot.
Career stats joe, career stats....so Lawson had a drop in his 3pt % last season, that's one aspect of their games, so you're cherry-picking one stat from last season - he also shot 50% from the field, outstanding for a guard.....there is not some statistical chasm in the comparison. Lawson was off the bench and Hill was starting and they both were injured. Anyway, I'm done with this. Lawson was the energy plug off the bench for the Kings.....maybe Hill can fill that, hopefully. I'll be a bit annoyed if they start Hill over Fox

I'll repeat - they have similar stats. And Would rate them similarly.
I would say players retire usually around 34/35 unless they are exceptional, so 31 is getting towards the end of career and relatively old in the NBA. Its a good point on his playoff experience.....I'm not particularly against the Hill signing, just wondering on Lawson.
It used to be that most players were in their prime from 27 - 33. They also spent 3 or 4 years in college. The better measurement to look at is games played. Most players start declining at around 1000 games. Hill has played 599 and Lawson has played 551.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd say Hill, Kosta, Temple, and Zach are about right. You need more than a couple of parents when you have 9 kids. You know, the extended family and all...

A small concern is that Joerger tends to ride vets a bit too much so it would have made sense to not give him any choice but to play young guys.

But we would be fielding basically a summer league team in the actual NBA. We would have a hard time winning 10 total games this year without any vets which can destroy a franchise and the confidence of young players. For that reason alone I like these additions IMO theres a big difference between 7 wins and 19-22 wins.
For me that's a BIG concern (riding vets too much). Its a young team, and minutes need to be given to sift. If the young guys don't pan out, so be it, but I think the young players have more talent than 10 wins without veterans, either way playoffs seem unlikely.....

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Which is why we would actually sign him after every other deal is done (and the Porter no longer a target news is likely premature). He's not free to negotiate with other teams so all we have to do is agree on terms and sign him last. The only thing I'm not entirely sure on is whether or not he has a cap hold in the meantime.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Randolph and hill are not win now. Please rethink that thought and don't make anybody explain it to you
I have to agree - they're clearly guys brought in to make the young guys compete for minutes and hopefully mentor them. And at least Z-Bo is a Joerger guy through and through.

I actually like the signings because I am pretty sure neither guy is capable of stealing all the minutes from the young core even if they want to.

I actually think this is the perfect year to take that jump toward winning mentality and win over 30 games. The west is so stacked it'll prob take 50 wins to get into the playoffs. If we somehow end the year around .500 (I know it's unlikely but wishful thinking)we prob keep our pick and have something to build off of. I'm so tired of watching losing basketball and don't want our young guys to accept losing.

I stand by my statement. I would have signed less valuable veterans who have a lesser effect on winning so we can get another top tier talent in next years draft. I think people are underestimating how good Hill actually is. He's instantly our best player by a long shot. Him and ZBo are good enough to drop us in the lottery but not good enough to get us to the playoffs. I think the team with lesser veterans wins 25 games and lands us a top 3 pick. The team with these guys probably wins 30-32 and lands us closer to 10th in the draft. I just think it's a big mistake when the possible franchise player could be on the table for the taking next year. If this was next year and we picked a very talented kid and then signed these guys, I'd be all thumbs up for it. But we're a year too early.

I would have signed Lawson and some other older PF who could mentor the kids while keeping our draft slot.

I actually think this is the perfect year to take that jump toward winning mentality and win over 30 games. The west is so stacked it'll prob take 50 wins to get into the playoffs. If we somehow end the year around .500 (I know it's unlikely but wishful thinking)we prob keep our pick and have something to build off of. I'm so tired of watching losing basketball and don't want our young guys to accept losing.
Remember we still have to deal with the East. There are going to be a lot of bad teams in that conference that push us down the lottery order. Plus this is still going to be losing basketball. It's going to look the same as it has for the last few years.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think there is a really good chance we are picking top 5 next year, even if we land Porter. There's going to be struggles, particularly closing out close games with this crew. There's also going to be some damned exciting last second thrillers as a glimpse towards a hopefully bright future. It is clear that the culture is changing. I also think that with the two signings (plus Bogdan) we have made and Porter being out of our hands, the stench of publicly missing all our FA targets is gone.

The one wildcard in all of this is coaching. I really do think we have a great coach, and that can be the difference from last place and a middle playoff seed. No, we're not there, but I really do think in 2-3 years time and if the culture shifts as I believe it has, we'll be able to fill the holes and get there.

George Hill last year was better in
  1. fg%
  2. 3pt% *Way better
  3. ft%
  4. TRB
  5. Blocks
  6. Fewer TO
  7. Points
  8. PER
  9. Higher Offensive Rating
  10. Lower Defensive Rating
  11. TS%
  12. Offensive Win Shares
  13. Defensive Win Shares
  14. Win Shares/48
  15. Offensive Box +/-
  16. Defensive Box +/-
  17. Box +/-
  18. VORP
Ty Lawson was better in
  1. Assists
  2. Steals

*It's pretty clear 18 statistical categores is better than 2.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=George Hill&player_id1_select=George Hill&y1=2017&player_id1=hillge01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Ty Lawson&player_id2_select=Ty Lawson&y2=2017&player_id2=lawsoty01&idx=players
Look at the actual numbers though - they're comparable. And I just got through telling you the players were in different roles on their respective teams.....Hill was the starter every game. You need to weigh that in.....