Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

But I think we can go over the cap to sign Bogdan... so not certain we're mathematically out of it yet. Sign Porter with avail cap money, then exceed cap to sign Bogdan.
I think you're right or we may be able to use MLE exemption for his salary.
Bog's first year salary (8.5) is eerily close to MLE

If Celtics need to unload players for salary cap concerns, Kings still have cap room to take such player(s) if they so choose. Call me greedy, but I'd still like for the Kings to wangle getting a #1 pick for taking on contract(s) of other teams that need to shed salary.
Marcus Smart is a positive asset with his salary (4.5M) and pending RFA. I wouldn't think they have to dangle an asset as an incentive especially since we are not the only team with space (see Nets and Hawks). Crowder is another asset multiple teams would love to have with or without 1st rounder. What I don't know is whether moving Smart is enough to fit Hayward or they need to do more. I recall seeing somewhere they were about 3M less of max contract space.

Marcus Smart is a positive asset with his salary (4.5M) and pending RFA. I wouldn't think they have to dangle an asset as an incentive especially since we are not the only team with space (see Nets and Hawks). Crowder is another asset multiple teams would love to have with or without 1st rounder. What I don't know is whether moving Smart is enough to fit Hayward or they need to do more. I recall seeing somewhere they were about 3M less of max contract space.
Atl has 30 mil in cap space, but they are going to resign Hardaway Jr.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like a lot of the moves, just would be a tad unsatiating to stick that carrot in our faces and not get it done so to speak (for me)
I like a lot of the moves, just would be a tad unsatiating to stick that carrot in our faces and not get it done so to speak (for me)
Here's the thing.

Porter was given a max offer sheet by the Kings and didn't sign it.

If he wanted to be a King he would have and put the pressure on Washington to match.

The fact that he kept taking meetings after getting a max offer tells me he'd prefer to be elsewhere. No use tying up caproom if it's clear he doesn't want to come to Sacramento.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unfortunately the knuckle-head is actually right (for once)
View attachment 6766
We would be 5.2 mil over.
You know, I used to detest Jason Jones. He's proven his worth, however, in the past year or so. He's been right a lot, especially if you compare him to the real knuckle-head at the Bee.

Now, back to the topic? Yeah, the door to Otto Porter closed...and I really don't care that much. Whatever Vlade's vision is, I'm perfectly content to wait and see what develops. Porter would have been nice, but at some point we need to draw the line on veterans and I think Vlade has built an incredible mix.

Here's the thing.

Porter was given a max offer sheet by the Kings and didn't sign it.

If he wanted to be a King he would have and put the pressure on Washington to match.

The fact that he kept taking meetings after getting a max offer tells me he'd prefer to be elsewhere. No use tying up caproom if it's clear he doesn't want to come to Sacramento.

I would think the offer sheet is a binding agreement unless the Kings pull the offer before Porter signs it.

I'm not worried about Porter, as I said I'm sure the Wizards will match. If a miracle happens, and he wants to join the Kings, I'm pretty confident Valde can trade Kufous to make room for Porter.

These are good players but the Kings just went all in to win a max of 30 games again. They're forever in a "win now" mode that leaves valuable assets on the table in order to fight for the 11th spot in the West. Trying to win now made sense with Cousins on the roster but now you don't have to pander to anyone and can do a proper rebuild. I think the impatience is going to be a mistake. Porter somehow signing would make me feel better about all this but the odds of that are pretty low at the moment. Fingers crossed on that one.

Watched Bonzi Wells last night in Big3 league. He still has game, found our vet SF:p

No lie either! I also saw this Mike Bibby dude. I think he could be the next Steph Curry.

In all seriousness I was watching some of the guys in that and I can't see how some of them aren't still on NBA teams radar.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not worried about Porter, as I said I'm sure the Wizards will match. If a miracle happens, and he wants to join the Kings, I'm pretty confident Valde can trade Kufous to make room for Porter.
I don't think Koufos is going anywhere. Remember, he speaks Papagiannis' language (literally) and is generally considered an excellent mentor for our youngest center.

Vlade had more than one iron in the fire. Porter didn't sign the offer sheet and I suspect it had an expiration date/time. Although I haven't seen it mentioned specifically, several people on Twitter have hinted at it.

Totally O/T, I've stickied a thread at the top of the Kings Rap forum for the Twitter accounts of our players, staff and some media. If people aren't on Twitter, now might be a good time to sign up. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No lie either! I also saw this Mike Bibby dude. I think he could be the next Steph Curry.

In all seriousness I was watching some of the guys in that and I can't see how some of them aren't still on NBA teams radar.
So, inquiring minds need to know. Could this be the year SacTownKid ends his strike? :p

Entity

Hall of Famer
These are good players but the Kings just went all in to win a max of 30 games again. They're forever in a "win now" mode that leaves valuable assets on the table in order to fight for the 11th spot in the West. Trying to win now made sense with Cousins on the roster but now you don't have to pander to anyone and can do a proper rebuild. I think the impatience is going to be a mistake. Porter somehow signing would make me feel better about all this but the odds of that are pretty low at the moment. Fingers crossed on that one.
Randolph and hill are not win now. Please rethink that thought and don't make anybody explain it to you

Dude people have already posted statistical facts. U believe what u want.
Everyine here is literally telling u hill>lawson everyone
Who posted statistical facts? - you mean like these, dude:

G GS MPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS

Hill
CareerNBA599374173575.211.4.4531.54.1.3803.67.3.4942.73.4.8020.73.34.04.21.20.41.62.714.6

Lawson
CareerNBA551344160885.612.1.4601.13.0.3594.59.2.4933.44.4.7700.82.63.47.41.40.12.62.015.6

I certainly will believe what I want - have a nice day.