Free Agency

Do you think this roster is worse than last year's. Because that team had no issue putting points on the board.

They were 3rd in points per game, 7th in FG% and 10th in 3P%. And to my eyes they've added more shooting & ball handling as well as a better starting SG.

But last season the issue wasn't scoring. It was defense and spacing. They shot a good percentage but didn't take a high volume of threes in a league where that has increasingly become a necessary element for team success.

So the Kings added veteran 3&D guys who can guard more than one position and have added youth & potential. Given what they had to work with this was a successful if not earth shattering offseason thus far.

As for OKC I like Payne and Sabonis though I believe Sabonis said he'd play overseas if drafted by the Kings and Payne hasn't quite become what I'd hoped, at least so far. And with Sabonis, unless Koufos is also moved that's too many front court players with Cousins, Koufos, Papagiannis, Cauley-Stein, Tolliver, Labissiere and Sabonis.
3rd in points is actually a bit misleading. The Kings were middle of the pack in offensive efficiency. Tied for 14th to be exact. They were 3rd in points because of pace and Karl implementing early offense and rim runs for Boogie. And the point differential was bottom 1/3rd.... (-2,5 PPG) or 21 out of 30, which reflects that the team was playing catch-up a lot of the time. And one reason they were playing catch up often was because of the inefficiency of their offense.

Bad offense leads to bad defense. They are interrelated. The team stunk on defense (23rd in efficiency) because they were SO bad defending the perimeter and because of the execution issues (primarily turnovers with Boogie and Rondo the main culprits) on the offensive end.

So to suggest that the team is some sort of offensive powerhouse is untrue especially with the hole at SG and scoring void at PF. There is also a dearth of passing and ball-handling on the wings and this does not make for an efficient offense, and one of the reasons the ball was in Rondo's hands so often.

So these moves are suspect because what the team needed to do was add a player who would undeniably become the team's 3 or 4th best player, even their second best players, behind Boogie and Darren. Instead we got a collection of "3 & D" journeyman with average to less than average shooting accuracy and old legs. This team needed a cornerstone, not just role players. Maybe that can be Bledsoe. I just hope we are not done yet.

News:

Shams Charania ‏@ShamsCharania 4m4 minutes ago
Sacramento has waived forwards Caron Butler and Duje Dukan, league sources tell The Vertical.
I thought Butler opted in recently? So maybe we need to create a roster for pending trade?

Last edited:
Or it's a complete hamster wheel team with a massively overpaid Barnes. Bogut staying healthy for a full year with an increased role is dubious. I'm not sure what the Mavs pick situation is but depending on how they do next season some of those parts may be available at the deadline.
23 million a year for Barnes is high- but would you rather have him, a guy that can both play defense and shoot and have some upside, or Afflalo and Tolliver who we spend 20 million on?
Barnes isn't a bad signing and Bogut will be able to play only limited monutes but he is still one of the best defenders in the league, Dallas is a mediocre playoff team waiting to catch a break- and that's not that bad.

23 million a year for Barnes is high- but would you rather have him, a guy that can both play defense and shoot and have some upside, or Afflalo and Tolliver who we spend 20 million on?
Barnes isn't a bad signing and Bogut will be able to play only limited monutes but he is still one of the best defenders in the league, Dallas is a mediocre playoff team waiting to catch a break- and that's not that bad.
Barnes, but that's also a huge 4 year risk that the Mavs are taking. At least with guys like Batum and Horford, I know what I'm paying for. With Barnes, you're paying franchise player money on potential.

Barnes being a bad signing or not will be entirely dependent on performance. They are paying him franchise money so he'll get his chance to show if he is a franchise player. I like him as a player, but Dallas might be a bit disappointed in the end. They probably need to bite the bullet if it looks mediocre out there. They've been unable to land any big names in free agency so in order to find that next Dirk, they'll have to do it the old fashion way.

Barnes, but that's also a huge 4 year risk that the Mavs are taking. At least with guys like Batum and Horford, I know what I'm paying for. With Barnes, you're paying franchise player money on potential.
Risky, but they keep getting turned down my proven big name free agents. I guess taking a flyer on Barnes beats tanking for them because they want to remain competitive in Dirk's final years with them (if of course he signs a new deal). I'm torn on Barnes. He's showed flashes with the Warriors of talent that could see him become a star elsewhere, and that's what the Mavericks have bet on. Time will tell if it's the right decision for them, but putting him on a Mavericks team with a future hall of famer like Dirk Nowitzki could help his development into that potential star. It might do nothing. But it's worth the risk because in a worst case scenario he should be able to at least match Parson's production and role.

uhhh something is going on...we just waived Butler and Dukan.
Probably means they couldn't find a team to take them on I'm guessing. Dukan had a guarantee date I think. They were also over the 15 man limit. I doubt it's for a move of any significance considering the Kings have almost no money to spend. Maybe a min. type of PG.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Duje Dukan hitting the open market will have a wider-ranging effect than Kevin Durant did, bank on it.

I'll miss Caron. I figured he'd stick around as cheap vet leadership. I guess not though...

I'd rather have 1-2 years of Afflalo and Tolliver over Barnes for 4 years at his price while maintaining salary cap flexibility for next year where the FA class is better.

Didn't the Kings have to renounce their MLE to make the signings they did? I think they are within a few million of the cap already, in order to do that I'm pretty sure they have to renounce it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's not about you and me being crazy enough to define "to compete" as championship or bust. It's about theclash4u5 claiming, that we should rebuild, because we can't compete in this league. Now this only makes sense, if you define compete as being better than a fringe playoff team. Given that Cousins has only two seasons left on his deal, this is a valid opinion. Do we have what it takes to build a team, that can go deep into the PO in the next two seasons to convince Cousins to resign?
I really feel like this a little bit of you, and whomever else may feel this way, creating a false dilemma. I think that Cousins wants to see progress. I don't really think that we have to "go deep into the PO in the next two seasons" in order to get Cousins to stay. I think that, if we can just get to the playoffs the next two years, and Divac can show Cousins a concrete plan for how he intends for the team to get further while Cousins is in his prime, that might be good enough. The idea that we have to go from zero to, like, the WCF by 2018, or else we risk losing Cousins for nothing is nonsense, IMO.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
3rd in points is actually a bit misleading. The Kings were middle of the pack in offensive efficiency. Tied for 14th to be exact. They were 3rd in points because of pace and Karl implementing early offense and rim runs for Boogie. And the point differential was bottom 1/3rd.... (-2,5 PPG) or 21 out of 30, which reflects that the team was playing catch-up a lot of the time. And one reason they were playing catch up often was because of the inefficiency of their offense.

Bad offense leads to bad defense. They are interrelated. The team stunk on defense (23rd in efficiency) because they were SO bad defending the perimeter and because of the execution issues (primarily turnovers with Boogie and Rondo the main culprits) on the offensive end.

So to suggest that the team is some sort of offensive powerhouse is untrue especially with the hole at SG and scoring void at PF. There is also a dearth of passing and ball-handling on the wings and this does not make for an efficient offense, and one of the reasons the ball was in Rondo's hands so often.

So these moves are suspect because what the team needed to do was add a player who would undeniably become the team's 3 or 4th best player, even their second best players, behind Boogie and Darren. Instead we got a collection of "3 & D" journeyman with average to less than average shooting accuracy and old legs. This team needed a cornerstone, not just role players. Maybe that can be Bledsoe. I just hope we are not done yet.

News:

I thought Butler opted in recently? So maybe we need to create a roster for pending trade?
My post was somewhat tongue in cheek. The Kings played at a frantic pace last season, scored a bunch of points and had a crappy season. In my mind MUCH more of that was about being Matadors on defense than an inability to get baskets.

What I'm hoping for is a turnaround under Joerger like the Hawks had when Budenholzer arrived. Josh Smith and Devin Harris had left and Atlanta had signed Millsap (who was viewed as a minor coup at the time) and DeMarre Carroll who fans had low expectations of. They also drafted Schroeder.

They regressed a bit that first season but you could see the changes happening and the next season they won 60 games.

Were there many people that looked at

Horford
Millsap
Carroll
Korver
Teague

and thought at the time - that will be a 60 win team in two seasons?

I want to see smart basketball, good ball movement, solid shooting, tough defense and a team that competes each night, stays flexible for the future and has young guys with potential to develop.

Last year's Kings did almost none of those things. So I'm okay with the moves that have been made. None of the free agents are cornerstones or exciting pickups on their own. But my hope is that they are all contributors to a culture change that replaces dysfunction, in-fighting and uninspired play with a winning system, chemistry and a willingness to play hard and compete each night.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
uhhh something is going on...we just waived Butler and Dukan.
Dukan clears a cap hold and that money might be needed to sign Barnes etc

Butler doesn't open up capspace (the Kings still have to pay him) and there's no roster limit right now.

My complete guess? Butler saw the Warriors complete lack of depth and called them to see if they wanted him at the veteran's minimum.

Because unless I'm missing something there's no benefit to the Kings in waiving him now. I think with the numbers crunch this was a move to let Tuff Juice catch on elsewhere.

Dukan clears a cap hold and that money might be needed to sign Barnes etc

Butler doesn't open up capspace (the Kings still have to pay him) and there's no roster limit right now.

My complete guess? Butler saw the Warriors complete lack of depth and called them to see if they wanted him at the veteran's minimum.
We'll that and our 5 wings we just added.