Free Agency

So...the 2016-2017 version of the Kings will not be soft.
Thank you Vlade! You can actually see a team forming here that is made to help your best player be great. I don't see any home runs here, but I do see a foundation where you can upgrade a player here and there over the next few seasons and continue to improve. My favorite part of all the additions is the variance in play we see from night to night should be greatly reduced. The feast or famine type of team we have had in the recent past is finally going away! HURRAH!

the Matt Barnes signing is probably the only FA signing I like...this seems to be the off season of bringing back former players. On another note; Matt Barnes can now say he has played for every NBA California team.

Still need to see a trade or two to make sense of what's going on here. That said, if you let go of Rudy and don't get back another player capable of scoring 20+ PPG that leaves Cousins on an island practically with nothing but role players surrounding him and I don't think Cousins is good enough to put a team of role players on his back alone and make the playoffs, let's not act as if Joerger is Pop or Riley or something...he is a good coach but this looks like a Memphis team from last year, minus the playoff appearance IMO.

Barnes/Temple/Affalo/Tolliver, at least we are signing guys who comes in ready to play in every game. Good signings by Vlade.
The backcourt personality and the bench has gotten a very good upgrade on peskiness, defence, heart and solid 2 way players.

K

KingsFan80

Barnes/Temple/Affalo/Tolliver, at least we are signing guys who comes in ready to play in every game. Good signings by Vlade.
The backcourt personality and the bench has gotten a very good upgrade on peskiness, defence, heart and solid 2 way players.
How many other offers did these four guys have to choose from?

None of those players beside maybe Barnes in small spurts are two way players..not sure what you are seeing.

James Ham ‏@James_Ham
Matt Barnes deal with Kings is for 2 years for $12 million. Second season is a player option.
so all these free agents are basically on one or two year deals, nothing long term, I like that at least. Looking to have cap space for the next summer is the obvious approach here.

Still need to see a trade or two to make sense of what's going on here. That said, if you let go of Rudy and don't get back another player capable of scoring 20+ PPG that leaves Cousins on an island practically with nothing but role players surrounding him and I don't think Cousins is good enough to put a team of role players on his back alone and make the playoffs, let's not act as if Joerger is Pop or Riley or something...he is a good coach but this looks like a Memphis team from last year, minus the playoff appearance IMO.
Baby steps. You have to be semi-respectable if you want a chance to get the big guns to even consider coming to play for you!

K

KingsFan80

long defensive minded pros

Its a culture change. We are finally setting up to play some damn defense.
I hope you are right..I just don't see it. Our PG might be out for a while and we have no back up. It will be a god given miracle if those four guys last a season with no injuries. As far as I can tell none of them had another offer on the table.

James Ham ‏@James_Ham
Matt Barnes deal with Kings is for 2 years for $12 million. Second season is a player option.
We have the cap to pull it off? or does it mean we are making a trade to clear some room?

Based on how the roster looks the plan is probably a Rudy for PG deal, that's the only way the roster will even out, cause right now we have a ton of wings and our only real PG (Temple can play there but can't really run a team) is DC who probably faces suspension.

We have the cap to pull it off? or does it mean we are making a trade to clear some room?

Based on how the roster looks the plan is probably a Rudy for PG deal, that's the only way the roster will even out, cause right now we have a ton of wings and our only real PG (Temple can play there but can't really run a team) is DC who probably faces suspension.
I have no idea, I dont think it is even clear whether it is 12 mil per year or 6 mil per.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you are right..I just don't see it. Our PG might be out for a while and we have no back up. It will be a god given miracle if those four guys last a season with no injuries. As far as I can tell none of them had another offer on the table.
I'm too lazy to find the links but reports were that five teams had interest in Temple and six teams were talking to Barnes. And considering reports had MB's price tag at $8-10 million I'd say $6 million is a good deal for the Kings.

This team will play hard on the defensive end. Rondo, Belinelli & Karl seemed allergic to that end of the floor. And offensively those guys didn't give more than Afflalo, Barnes & Temple anyway.

These are low key signings but I really like what they represent.

Again, Collison/McLemore/Gay/Thompson/Cousins was statistically one of the best starting fives in the league. Even without the trade that I'm expecting to balance the roster and bring in a PG the Kings are in a pretty good position as they'd have a slightly upgraded version of that lineup but with a scrappier bench.

In 2 days, we have suddenly gotten quite a bit older and tougher as a team. There's more defense on this squad than we have had in the last 10 years combined. However.... if Rudy is traded, how the hell do we score when Cuz sits?
We don't. Memphis blueprint from last year, lots of role players scrapping and playing team defense and team ball and hope to win in the process.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Rudy + Ben would even it out better and if the deal was fair, we'd have a damn nice pg. Something is up as the sign posts seem to be pointing somewhat in this direction.

Can't say I'm not a bit bummed but I also have faith in the FO (finally) so won't jump out any windows.