Free Agency

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6m6 minutes ago
Sacramento still has interest in Monta Ellis -- its top free-agent target last summer -- but Indy is said to prefer dealing Rodney Stuckey.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 48s48 seconds ago
Sources maintain Rudy Gay, no matter what happens with Indy, is right there with Greg Monroe in terms of proven players available via trade.

If that top one especially is correct, it is as I suspected -- Afflalo and Ellis being considered a full backcourt rebuild. Also means that if Indiana were to relent on Monta, we'd do it. Hold up is they are trying to dump a roleplayer on us in what would be a big step back talentwise.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If that top one especially is correct, it is as I suspected -- Afflalo and Ellis being considered a full backcourt rebuild. Also means that if Indiana were to relent on Monta, we'd do it. Hold up is they are trying to dump a roleplayer on us in what would be a big step back talentwise.
I'm not a huge fan of trading Gay for Ellis, but trading Gay for Stuckey is nonsense. We won't bite on that one.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Gay is twice the player Ellis is, better pass. Kings have 12 million left I think, there isn't much left now. I'd give it to Rondo
Thing is, we're apparently still planning to talk to Waiters. If we sign Waiters, there's not any money for Rondo (or for Curry, for that matter). So we'd need a PG somewhere...if you can really consider Monta a PG.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
But Joerger says he wants "ball movement" (what coach doesn't), and hence we can't resign Rondo, and instead are in hot pursuit of Monta Ellis and Dion Waiters. :confused:
Vivek has invented a new device. It straps on to the wrist and connects via wi-fi to the SportVU system. If a player holds the ball for more than three seconds, it delivers an electrical shock to the extensors in the forearm causing the player to drop the ball.

Betrayed is a strong word. Plus, if you think about it the Rockets have made the play offs four out of four years with Harden on their roster. He might be a ball hog, but he's a damn talented player who has carried that Rockets team into the play offs and to victories on a regular basis throughout his career in Houston. Add him to a line up and they currently have Beverley / Harden / Ariza / Anderson. All they need to find is a defensively minded center and they will be in a good position to return to the play offs again, especially if they fill out their bench as they seem to do with good veterans.

Compare that to what he would join here and I can see why he would rather go to the Rockets, if he ever considered coming here at all. Imagine if he came here and slotted into this line up:

Rondo / Afflalo / Gay / Anderson / Cousins

Our new head coach would have to work miracles to get that line up to work defensively. Even if we slot in Collison over Rondo, again it doesn't really improve things. Our team is what it is, a flawed roster with limited upside unless Vlade nails a major game changing trade to bring a second star to pair with Cousins. If that doesn't happen, then we'd struggle to make the play offs as an eighth seed. One could argue we are behind at least the Jazz in potential teams to take Dallas' place if they miss the play offs (likely if they don't make any moves in free agency). Potentially the Timberwolves should get better under Thibs, and Denver have a talented young ascending roster capable of surprising people. So in some ways, our future as a potential play off team is fairly murky unless Joerger pulls off some miracles like he did with Memphis last year. And even then, our upside is pretty limited. Whereas Houston are not too far detached from being a top four seed and with a star like Harden, combined with a solid supporting cast, there's always the chance they could win against one of the top four. I can see the appeal from a playing stand point, and that's without considering Texas has no state income tax which should see him take more money home over the course of that deal.
Not sure why you proposing a line-up with Rondo in it when the writing is on the wall. Gay is less than 50/50 to return....and as I stated in my previous post, you WANT a player next to Boogie that can play away from the basket. I think Willie projects as a starter as he develops, but I don't think he's ready to play 30-35 MPG yet, and that's another reason adding an 18-20 PPG guy in Anderson (at better efficiency than Boogie) would have been ideal.

I think we are targeting Monta Ellis to play PG. I don't have a problem with that. His handle is good enough and if he's running the point as starter or back-up it will reduce his shot attempts.

I'm not ruling him out, but his defense has declined since his trade to the Orlando Magic. From that point on he has lived on his past reputation. Now in an ideal world, Joerger gets the best out of him like he has done with other players when he coached Memphis. Like you say, players who buy into what it is being preached can often put in that extra effort which is not always present when they are on teams that they don't buy into. However, I would be concerned if we enter the season with Rondo, Afflalo, Gay, WCS and Cousins as our starting line up purely because of the questionable defense of Rondo, Afflalo and Gay. If Joerger can't work his magic on them, we will struggle unless we out score everyone...

I don't want to sound negative, but I am simply being honest about what type of player and production we can expect from Afflalo at this stage in his career.
For most of the last two years and particularly last year it seemed to me all we needed to do was get a legitimate starting SG to replace Ben and it would almost make us a winning team. This was a long held conviction of mine. So signing Affalo is a big step n the right direction. Ben's deficiencies hurt the team's game as well as the games of Cuz, Rudy, Rndo, and Collison. I see them all getting better with Affalo at the SG position. Now let's build from there. Maybe the coming moves will just be gravy. You're going, Kings!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Monta last year BTW: 33.8min 13.8pts (.427 .309 .786) 3.3reb 4.7ast 1.9stl 0.5blk 2.5TO .504TS% 13.7PER

Waiters last year: 27.6min 9.8pts (.399 .358 .713) 2.6reb 2.0ast 1.0stl 0.2blk 1.5TO ,492TS% 9.4PER

Entity

Hall of Famer
Why would they want gay with Paul George?

But Joerger says he wants "ball movement" (what coach doesn't), and hence we can't resign Rondo, and instead are in hot pursuit of Monta Ellis and Dion Waiters. :confused:
I'll say this. Point-Monta actually had some success last season (I know, because I watched every Point-Monta game for DFS purposes) He was a lot more effective in pretty much every aspect of his offensive game. Still wouldnt be thrilled, but it sure would be something to watch

"It may, in fact, be a new day in Sacramento: I'm quickly corrected on the Monta front, told Kings have no interest. Rodney Stuckey, either." - Sam Amick

Back off from the ledge Kings fans..

In the midst of all this madness, Vlade just signed two guys on reasonable deals that were not rumored. He also passed on Ryan Andersons ridiculous deal. Give this man some credit, he's a lot smarter than some people on here think.