Free Agency

I was never a fan of trading Anderson. Magoofs offered him more money than the Pelicans did, and he still signed them over us. Now, he picks the Rockets over us.

Glad he didn't come here at that price tag.
Agreed, it's a lot of money for a guy that has mainly come off the bench for most of his career. I guess he adds three point shooting and a capable scorer, so it makes sense for the Rockets to add him into their line up. He could even have been a good fit for us in the starting line up, but in a sense I am glad we haven't paid that much money for him. But on the other hand, that is the price these sorts of players are getting paid this year...

dude12

Hall of Famer
It's a spur of the moment thing, no offense taken. :) There's a good chance I'm overreacting to twitter nonsense, but going into this summer I thought we had one chance to come back as a better team next year: keep one or both of Rondo and Gay and upgrade at least one position significantly. I don't see how we'll be competitive if we lose both of them. Afflalo/McLemore is an upgrade over McLemore/Belinelli but it cost us 6 million to do it. Swapping out McLemore for Lee -- eh, you're talking about two similar players on opposite ends of the career arc. This may be the season where they switch places. Those are small lateral moves though -- it's the big picture stuff that I'm just not seeing. Rudy Gay is a building block on this team. You really need to be getting something big back for him and that's not happening in a trade with Indiana (which is probably why no trade has been announced yet). Rondo was the second best player on the team last year. I know a a large number of Kings fans don't want him back at any price, but I see very few obtainable PGs who would actually be considered an upgrade.

Honestly, I'd rather we just bring last year's team back with an influx of rookies and a new coach and see if all that potential we saw last summer was really an illusion or if George Karl killed the team. Because I was re-watching some Kings games from early last season -- November and December -- and we actually looked really good. Granted that was when Ben and Marco were still hitting shots and Casspi was on fire, but maybe we were close to turning the corner? I hate feeling like we're leaving potential on the table.
I agree that if we bring back the same team while swapping out Belli and Afflalo and bringing in rookies with Joerger would be interesting and a probable upgrade with Afflalo, rookies and Joerger.

But, Gay hasn't been trade yet because Vlade's not going to give him away. Still Rudy may not be all in with the team anymore. I think he has good trade potential and Vlade is holding out. For all the talk on trying to play off the Afflalo signing as meh.....defense is not the same......he's a guy who can play. He's solid. He's an upgrade over Ben....a big upgrade. Ben has been the worst starting SG in the NBA.

Romdo hasn't signed anywhere yet. Could be a waiting game on Vlade's part. I don't believe anything leaked out right now as the org has been tight lipped.

In Vlade's short time as GM, we are on a steady progression in all aspects of the organization and roster and coaching staff. We are not going backwards.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I doubt it but will see, he's been living of his image as a defender for years but he's playing bad defense since his 2nd season in Orlando.

It's on a 2 year contract so that's a positive, but it's not a huge improvement to the roster.
It should have a steadying effect. Not going to make you win by himself, but just a steady vet patching a hole for a year or two. We've been actively leaking wins from that position ever since the new regime took over and promptly dumped Reke for Ben.

Decent move. Lee is a much, much better defender as Afflalo has lost almost all aspects of his previous defensive ability, but Afflalo is more offensively inclined. Still a good shooter and a good vet. Lee helps us more the next 2 seasons, but hurts quite a bit during his age 34 and 35 years as he starts to decline.
Isn't Lee also a lot smaller?

It wasn't your money. We needed him next to Cousins. Tough blow. Anderson betrays his hometown to go play with a ball-hog. And I bet the money we offered was equal or greater.
Betrayed is a strong word. Plus, if you think about it the Rockets have made the play offs four out of four years with Harden on their roster. He might be a ball hog, but he's a damn talented player who has carried that Rockets team into the play offs and to victories on a regular basis throughout his career in Houston. Add him to a line up and they currently have Beverley / Harden / Ariza / Anderson. All they need to find is a defensively minded center and they will be in a good position to return to the play offs again, especially if they fill out their bench as they seem to do with good veterans.

Compare that to what he would join here and I can see why he would rather go to the Rockets, if he ever considered coming here at all. Imagine if he came here and slotted into this line up:

Rondo / Afflalo / Gay / Anderson / Cousins

Our new head coach would have to work miracles to get that line up to work defensively. Even if we slot in Collison over Rondo, again it doesn't really improve things. Our team is what it is, a flawed roster with limited upside unless Vlade nails a major game changing trade to bring a second star to pair with Cousins. If that doesn't happen, then we'd struggle to make the play offs as an eighth seed. One could argue we are behind at least the Jazz in potential teams to take Dallas' place if they miss the play offs (likely if they don't make any moves in free agency). Potentially the Timberwolves should get better under Thibs, and Denver have a talented young ascending roster capable of surprising people. So in some ways, our future as a potential play off team is fairly murky unless Joerger pulls off some miracles like he did with Memphis last year. And even then, our upside is pretty limited. Whereas Houston are not too far detached from being a top four seed and with a star like Harden, combined with a solid supporting cast, there's always the chance they could win against one of the top four. I can see the appeal from a playing stand point, and that's without considering Texas has no state income tax which should see him take more money home over the course of that deal.

When people talk about him being too expensive.......****, we could have used him. And no, Casspi or Gay as stretch 4's is not the same. Anderson could have helped us big time.
You know there is something like a salary Cap, right? Even it goes up 105 mil his price is still to much for us to pay. Whether next year, in 2 or in 3 years his contract would hurt us getting better players. We can't afford to spend 20 mil for a guy that is coming of the bench because he is not a good defender, has a injury history and only plays one position. I wanted Anderson as well but not for 20 million and not for 4 years.

Arron Afflalo on a two year deal worth $25 million is probably as good as we are going to get at this point. He is still a capable shooter and should offer us solid production on the offensive end. However, his defense has certainly taken a backward step in recent seasons and he continues to live on his past reputation. I remember reading a stat from last season in which Afflalo allows opponents to shoot a higher conversion rate than their season average. So as a defensive player he is not someone to be relied upon unless he manages to re-find his former defensive prowess. Perhaps Joerger can do that for him. But if he plays for us like he did for the Knicks, he is going to put up solid numbers offensively, but is not going to offer much on the defensive end.
We don't need to be relying on any one player to do anything. Coach Joerger will hopefully have us focus on team defense above all else

We have the pieces to be pretty good on that end of the floor. Players play a lot better defense when they're engaged and interested, so don't count Afflalo out just yet

It should have a steadying effect. Not going to make you win by himself, but just a steady vet patching a hole for a year or two. We've been actively leaking wins from that position ever since the new regime took over and promptly dumped Reke for Ben.
Thing is I don't want the steady Arron Afflalo of the last few years.
If we can somehow get the player he used to be that would be great, over the last few years he wasn't an effective player in terms of production combined with bad defense and most advanced stats just hate him.
So we'l see how he'll play next year but judging by his recent production I think Ben is the slightly better defender and Afflalo is the better offensive player (similar efficiency on higher volume).

He is a stop-gap for me on a short contract, if the right moves would be made around him I'm fine with it but on it's own I don't think it changes the picture for us.

If our plan this off-season is to let Rondo go, trade Rudy Gay, and spend our cap-space on Arron Afflalo and Courtney Lee than we should probably just trade Cousins too while we're at it. We're nowhere near competitive with this roster and we're moving backward.
I mean, any of us can create a crazy scenario like that lol i doubt it's gonna go down like that

Thing is I don't want the steady Arron Afflalo of the last few years.
If we can somehow get the player he used to be that would be great, over the last few years he wasn't an effective player in terms of production combined with bad defense and most advanced stats just hate him.
So we'l see how he'll play next year but judging by his recent production I think Ben is the slightly better defender and Afflalo is the better offensive player (similar efficiency on higher volume).

He is a stop-gap for me on a short contract, if the right moves would be made around him I'm fine with it but on it's own I don't think it changes the picture for us.
A lot of you must have already forgotten what it's like watching Ben play. Afflalo doesn't have to be anything other than steady for us to be successful. Hit your shots, don't let your man decimate you, and provide leadership/toughness. Ben could not provide any of those things at any point in the last 3 years. Just by not being a complete and utter useless spot in the starting lineup, our wins will increase by 3-4 games, possibly more. There have been many games that Ben has cost us over the years, either by not defending his man or not hitting his shots. He hasn't earned **** other than earning the right to be traded. He's terrible. Spare me the story on potential please.

We don't need to be relying on any one player to do anything. Coach Joerger will hopefully have us focus on team defense above all else

We have the pieces to be pretty good on that end of the floor. Players play a lot better defense when they're engaged and interested, so don't count Afflalo out just yet
I'm not ruling him out, but his defense has declined since his trade to the Orlando Magic. From that point on he has lived on his past reputation. Now in an ideal world, Joerger gets the best out of him like he has done with other players when he coached Memphis. Like you say, players who buy into what it is being preached can often put in that extra effort which is not always present when they are on teams that they don't buy into. However, I would be concerned if we enter the season with Rondo, Afflalo, Gay, WCS and Cousins as our starting line up purely because of the questionable defense of Rondo, Afflalo and Gay. If Joerger can't work his magic on them, we will struggle unless we out score everyone...

I don't want to sound negative, but I am simply being honest about what type of player and production we can expect from Afflalo at this stage in his career.

With Ryan Anderson gone I think Casspi is our "Stretch 4" coming of the bench behind Willie. So a defensive back up SF for 16 min a night would make a lot of sense.
A few names to watch:
Matt Barnes
Moe Harkless
Lance Thomas
Alonzo Gee
Garret Temple

A lot of you must have already forgotten what it's like watching Ben play. Afflalo doesn't have to be anything other than steady for us to be successful. Hit your shots, don't let your man decimate you, and provide leadership/toughness. Ben could not provide any of those things at any point in the last 3 years. Just by not being a complete and utter useless spot in the starting lineup, our wins will increase by 3-4 games, possibly more. There have been many games that Ben has cost us over the years, either by not defending his man or not hitting his shots. He hasn't earned **** other than earning the right to be traded. He's terrible. Spare me the story on potential please.
No lol. And at this point, I'm not so sure Afflalo is better than Ben on defense. He's been that bad the past couple years.

Basically this is the good:

Stop-gap contract
Money isn't horrible
Better offensive player than Ben
Vet that could theoretically rebound with a great defensive coach like Joerger.

When people talk about him being too expensive.......****, we could have used him. And no, Casspi or Gay as stretch 4's is not the same. Anderson could have helped us big time.
Isn't Anderson a terrible defender though? lol I wanted him as well, but a lot of members complain about defense and then ask for a guy like Ryan Anderson. 80 million dollars to come off the bench or barely pull down rebounds IF he were to start next to cousins? I just don't know about that.

Cousins needs help on the boards, folks. Even WCS and Gay ain't enough, but hey, one step at a time.

Ben has been bad on both ends of the floor. I wish defense were his only issues

Mental lapses, lack of confidence, and bad decisions pretty much sum up his first three years, although, yes, he has shown flashes of what he can maybe kinda sorta be lol

Scapegoat....

Afflalo is a Bellineli replacement. Not necessarily a solution. It's no guarantee he could even outplay Ben next year. Hope we're still looking.....
Sorry, no. You have Ben confused with someone else. Afflalo comes in as our starting big guard. Whatever he lost on the defensive end with the Knicks will be "found again" by our defensive minded coach.

No lol. And at this point, I'm not so sure Afflalo is better than Ben on defense. He's been that bad the past couple years.

Basically this is the good:

Stop-gap contract
Money isn't horrible
Better offensive player than Ben
Vet that could theoretically rebound with a great defensive coach like Joerger.
I suggest you look at the links I included in a previous post on the last page to see the stats and you will see the improvement we just made to our starting lineup with your own eyes. Granted, it's not earth shattering, but this guy can play. Ben can't. I would like to see your list of the "good things" for Ben as compared to Afflalo. This is what I have:
- Is younger (this isn't even a skill, just happened to be born earlier)
- Is more athletic (but doesn't know how to apply it)

That's it. Ben is done here. We have Afflalo here this year, Bogdan is coming over next year.... he's as good as gone. I have little sympathy for him. He had 3 seasons to prove something, anything, and didn't.

With Ryan Anderson gone I think Casspi is our "Stretch 4" coming of the bench behind Willie. So a defensive back up SF for 16 min a night would make a lot of sense.
A few names to watch:
Matt Barnes
Moe Harkless
Lance Thomas
Alonzo Gee
Garret Temple
Barnes should be cheap, could use him occasionally at the 2 or 4 if you wished. That should be our piggy bank choice if you ask me. We could use some toughness.