PG for the Kings

For the millionth time, no to Tyreke. He's not a PG. He just can't play effectively without having the ball in his hands. Doesn't work with Cousins. Hell, he doesn't work with most any lineup. Anthony Davis was the perfect lob/clean up guy for him and Evans couldn't make that work.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
For the millionth time, no to Tyreke. He's not a PG. He just can't play effectively without having the ball in his hands. Doesn't work with Cousins. Hell, he doesn't work with most any lineup. Anthony Davis was the perfect lob/clean up guy for him and Evans couldn't make that work.
Quite to the contrary, Reke and Davis were a lethal pairing before Gentry arrived and decided to try to un-Reke Reke. That was their duo two years ago, big +/- numbers, Davis having a career year that lit up all kinds of advanced stats.

Am I crazy for thinking Tyreke-Collison back court would be great?

Tyreke has ALWAYS been a PG no matter how much people dislike his playmaking(5.9asts rookie year)? Collison can be our secondary ball handler who can be dished 3s from Evans. Collison does a great job playing off the ball.

Of course, this means we move Gay, but we could ask for Pondexter back. Pondexter is coming off of a year long injury, but he's had a lot of time to heal. He was an elite shooter with the Pelicans in 2015 at 43.3%. He's a low usage 3&D player.

Tyreke+Pondexter for Gay.

Tyreke
Collison
Pondexter
WCS/Anderson
Cousins

With Ryan Anderson off the bench? or Perhaps Willie?

I would still try to trade someone else for Tyreke and keep Rudy. I'm starting to feel like we're just going to get someone like Chalmers and resign Curry.

Quite to the contrary, Reke and Davis were a lethal pairing before Gentry arrived and decided to try to un-Reke Reke. That was their duo two years ago, big +/- numbers, Davis having a career year that lit up all kinds of advanced stats.
I still don't know why they insisted on him playing SF. I know small ball is start to dominate, but I thought people would've learned from his rookie year and his revival year in New Orleans that he was best as a PG? If Reke can stay healthy, I think the Kings should really consider bringing him back.

Give Cousins and Tyreke a bunch of shooters around them. In this case, I would not mind bringing in Ryan Anderson at all.

Bricklayer

Am I crazy for thinking Tyreke-Collison back court would be great?

Tyreke has ALWAYS been a PG no matter how much people dislike his playmaking(5.9asts rookie year)? Collison can be our secondary ball handler who can be dished 3s from Evans. Collison does a great job playing off the ball.

Of course, this means we move Gay, but we could ask for Pondexter back. Pondexter is coming off of a year long injury, but he's had a lot of time to heal. He was an elite shooter with the Pelicans in 2015 at 43.3%. He's a low usage 3&D player.

Tyreke+Pondexter for Gay.

Tyreke
Collison
Pondexter
WCS/Anderson
Cousins

With Ryan Anderson off the bench? or Perhaps Willie?
Its not terrible, but the shooting is always suspect. Can the backcourt generate enough defense? And of course Reke has to stay healthy, and you have to be starting to worry about those knees at this point.

Once you get past bringing back Rondo, the attraction of which goes up or comes down according to what it might cost, these ideaa to pick up established PGs (and linked ones, like Reke, or Rubio) using current assets have a real appeal to them. You settle the PG situation, while simultaneously keeping open the whole cap to go sign an Anderson or Bazemore, while still having money left to nab multiple roleplayers. In this case it costs us Gay, while Ham's near fantasy scenario with Rubio only costs us Kosta and Ben, but the idea is similar. With a weak PG market, trade to solve that problem, and save the FA money for positions with a deeper crop.

reke drew all the defense to him and opened it wide up for davis to clean up. i love reke and his ability to get to the cup and draw fouls. problem is we have a big man that commands just the same amount of attention so we have to choose who we design the offense around :(

Jrue outplayed Reke doing the same thing. I watched Pels games. Just noooooooooooooooo. This forum and its Reke love. -_-

Anyways, Tim Frasier reminds me of IT in a way, but with more of a passing mentality. Should be really cheap pick up.

I don't know if Tyreke would work on the Kings or not, but he IS a PG. He has always been at his best when playing PG with both the Kings and NO. When he was moved to SG and SF, he struggled because he had to change his way of playing.

I believe we should trade for Rubio. I would love to see Bledsoe here, but I just don't see that happening and I am unwilling to part with WCS to get it done. Acquiring Rubio would be cheap and he would provide a younger more defensive version of Rondo. I understand his shooting is an issue but he is 25 and could still improve and we need to target a 3s & D SG anyhow (Lee or Crabbe would work). Regardless we need a PG and we could a lot worse than Rubio.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe we should trade for Rubio. I would love to see Bledsoe here, but I just don't see that happening and I am unwilling to part with WCS to get it done. Acquiring Rubio would be cheap and he would provide a younger more defensive version of Rondo. I understand his shooting is an issue but he is 25 and could still improve and we need to target a 3s & D SG anyhow (Lee or Crabbe would work). Regardless we need a PG and we could a lot worse than Rubio.
Rubio is what he is and his shooting is likely never going to improve significantly. And given that the Kings would have to give up an asset to get him (Koufos? Gay?) I think I'd honestly rather see them resign Rondo. Rubio will make $13.4M and Rondo would likely cost the same or a couple million more without costing an asset.

Rondo is not quite 5 years older and a worse/more disinterested defender but he's also
less injury prone and an even worse shooter/scorer from everywhere but the free throw line.

Of all the PGs tht might be available, I want Bledsoe. I think he fits well with Cousins, they are good friends from Kentucky days and both are in the right age bracket. Bledsoe is a 2 way player and is signed to a reasonable contract for the longer term.

Surround these 2 with shooters and you have a very good team.

If that fails, I would like us to bring back Tyreke. He is an expiring deal and sounds like he won't cost much.

If we are looking for a back up for Collison then I would like us to sign DJ Augustin.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Woj saying Lin worth 12-14 mil. I like him and all it maybe trading for a pg or waiting til a stronger FA class is the way to go
I think a trade is a better option here. If you think waiting for a stronger PG class is the way to go, I don't see it. If Lin is getting somewhere in the 12-14 million range, then the others would be 16-20 and maybe more.

With Lin to NJ and Rose in NY I think it's likely Rondo is back on a reasonable for this market deal. There aren't a ton of other starting pg spots out there and I can't see him playing backup anywhere

Delly rumors starting up, but there is some question as to whether or not he can really run the point. Lebron n Kyrie ran the offense in Cleveland, making Delly into the PG version of Casspi.

Bricklayer

Indeed, my stealth opponent now is the Bulls, because I can't imagine they are happy with their PG position. If they have other plans we could well be in the driver's seat and add Rondo back as another of our what have effectively become value contracts.

just trade Bmac for Tyreke and a 2nd, sign Austin Rivers and try to go hard for Courtney Lee.

Tyreke/Collison/Cousins
Lee/Rivers/Richardson
Gay/Casspi/Butler
WCS/Skal/Moreland?
Cousins/Koufos/Papa

Hopefully vlade surprises us like the draft. All we heard and expected was Baldwin with the 13th pick and he went with a big who if he has a ceiling as low at mozgov he will still be a steal. I'm hoping we all hear about waiters and bam, we get a starting caliber pg

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hopefully vlade surprises us like the draft. All we heard and expected was Baldwin with the 13th pick and he went with a big who if he has a ceiling as low at mozgov he will still be a steal. I'm hoping we all hear about waiters and bam, we get a starting caliber pg
It will probably have to be in trade. After Rondo the pickings get reeeeeeeal slim. There's...Brandon Jennings? So what I'm saying is that we'd better start putting together that trade package for Rubio.

It will probably have to be in trade. After Rondo the pickings get reeeeeeeal slim. There's...Brandon Jennings? So what I'm saying is that we'd better start putting together that trade package for Rubio.
Trade for Rubio, tyreke, steph...almost any point guard from that draft class not named Flynn. Oh wait Jennings was from that year too huh

Rubio, Tyreke look like real possibilities for us to target. Unfortunately, so does Point-Monta.

But agreed that we're going to have to get this done in a trade. Which is fine, because after Conley, there wasn't much to work with anyway. Hope we stay focused on Lee, Anderson and Crabbe

If we keep Rondo I think we should offer a minimum to Dre.

If we completely strike out, Norris Cole may be a decent backup to Collison for defense if the contract is minimal.