Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Already interviewed:

Sam Mitchell
Mike Woodson
Vinny Del Negro
David Blatt
Kevin McHale (this sounds like it's been more phone conversation than an interview)

Slated to be interviewed:

Etorre Messina
Nate McMillan
Patrick Ewing
Jeff Hornacek
Mark Jackson
Elston Turner
Corliss Williamson

Am I missing anyone?
http://www.nabc.com/landing/index

Just start going through the membership list -- we might have missed somebody.

When is Byron Scott coming in?

Well, Bird hasn't made things clearer with his post-PO comments:
"I don't know what's going to happen," Bird said.

He doesn't know when, either. Bird said he will make the decision after meeting by conference call with Pacers owner Herb Simon, but he said no call has been arranged.

"He's busy, so it could be a week or it could be tomorrow," Bird said early Monday evening. "What I don't want to do is leave Frank hanging - there's other jobs out there he could get."

but Sean Marks identified him as his guy and moved quickly to sign him. There's something to be said for knowing who/what you want and going out and getting it.
That sounds so much like what Vivek did with Malone that it is scary. He was that close to making a brilliant decisive move... then he got Weasled!

Easy, perhaps not. But John Calipari sure didn't have huge problems with him and sings his praises quite often. According to things I've read, Calipari had a more difficult time with Anthony Davis than he did with Cuz. And everyone knows that Mike Malone seemed to find easy ground with him and still talks glowingly of him today.

I don't recall any really big issues with Keith Smart or Ty Corbin either. Not saying it was cake, but it certainly wasn't anything close to Karl or Westphal.
I would point out that Karl and Westphal have had problems with players everywhere they have been.

They invited him.
That doesn't really prove anything. The guy is very talented - which team on earth would not want him on roster? But him being the #1/franchise guy who you cater to is a completely different story from playing him with a bunch of stars where he's not even a top 3 option.

Already interviewed:

Sam Mitchell
Mike Woodson
Vinny Del Negro
David Blatt
Kevin McHale (this sounds like it's been more phone conversation than an interview)

Slated to be interviewed:

Etorre Messina
Nate McMillan
Patrick Ewing
Jeff Hornacek
Mark Jackson
Elston Turner
Corliss Williamson

Am I missing anyone?
I'm wondering, wouldn't be Vlade's list of coaches to interview limited, if his intention is to keep Boogie? Or else I could understand him.
After this basically there's no stone left unturned.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not fair. It's different when they have all stars all around him to tell him to calm down and players that are ahead of him in the line up. It's different when is the main personality you have to deal with.
I just wrote a 3 page retort and it got deleted accidently.

The Cliff's Notes version is that when Cousins first tried out for the national team, he was rejected. He asked why and he was told by Jerry Colangelo that he was too immature. He kept at it and is now a member of the team. What does that say about his level of maturity? I would guess he is better at least in the eyes of these people. He's improving. Surprise!! None of the players chose him. The coaching staff recognized the change and chose him.

Now pretend you are reading a couple hundred words more and you will get the idea how much energy I put into it.

Bajaden got ohhs and ahhs for being so damn old. :rolleyes: I'm 3 years younger and I too am burned out on this topic. No more. Nothing I say will change anything including people's opinions. I wish Boogie good luck and I hope the lynch mob lead by that red headed fruit bar from New York take a wrong turn. I just hope that jackass doesn't drive DeMarcus out of town. So far the kool aid drinkers seem to have a lot of numbers but Cousins' strength of character keeps him here. He is under a lot of scrutiny down to the expressions on his face but he's still here and is making no demands.

Last edited:
Cuz needs to learn that communication works both ways. If you have a problem, try knocking on the coaches door and having a conversation with him before cursing him out in front of god and everyone.
You mean like when he went to Westphal behind closed doors like it was said he should do, aired his problems with the coach, and then the coach decided to throw Cuz under the bus in front of god and everyone........ and noone in the front office, or Geoff Petrie, said one word in his defense?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You mean like when he went to Westphal behind closed doors like it was said he should do, aired his problems with the coach, and then the coach decided to throw Cuz under the bus in front of god and everyone........ and noone in the front office, or Geoff Petrie, said one word in his defense?
Still, it works with people who are rational. Westphal has a history of trouble with players. I doubt if it is all caused by the players. :)

K

KingMilz

He ain't coming here. On a Knicks board they posted that he'd be intriguined by the NY job. Just capitalize on this and get Blatt.
Why not? It's us the Knicks and Houston basically and Houston have been strongly linked to JVG. I'd still wait and see even if there is a 1% chance he would. Vogel plays exactly the type of basketball that suits Cousins/WCS and if we get the right pieces around Cousins I would actually be in favour for this season at least in keeping Cuz under those circumstances. I'm not sure your going to get a better coach for Cousins (except for the 9-6 GOAT) and the Kings at this point in time no matter how low the chance is.

I mean If Leicester City can win the EPL at odds of 5000-1 I'm sure we could get Vogel and make the playoffs next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Vogel becomes available, he should be our #1 target by a mile. Whether he considers us is another matter but we simply must ask the question.

He is an excellent coach, good age bracket to be a genuine long term coach for us. I fear that Vogel's offense is not sexy enough for Vivek.

The only problem with Vogel is that his contract is not up until June 30th. From Bird's comments it seems he will make a move before then. However, I'm not comfortable waiting that long to go after one person when that one person is not a guarantee to take the job. If I'm Vlade, I call Bird and request permission to speak to Vogel. If Vogel expresses true interest, I continue the interviews to see who would be plan B and plan C. Once I am cleared to interview Vogel, if he takes it, great. If not, plan B and plan C are in place. However, Vlade cannot just wait until then.

I will say that if Bird does not resign Vogel, Frank has to be REALLY mad that the Minnesota job is gone.

Has Larry Bird been hanging out with the Maloofs lately? Why? Just why?
Well, Vogel gets this list of complaints:
  • his offense is too simple, and team has some droughts of point producing from time to time
  • does not get the most out of his players offensively
  • he is very demanding, always pushing players to give it all, but apparently it results in some players tuning him out and just coasting: looks like both PG and David West, I think, admitted this fact, so his stars don't get full accountability
That's what I remember from the podcast, but despite KingMilz sarcasm it does sound somewhat familiar to complaints about Malone.
P.S. btw apparently Bird came to Vogel before this season and said, that team should average 6 more points, which is quite a ridiculous demand, and actually not that far from early Vivek.

K

KingMilz

Well, Vogel gets this list of complaints:
  • his offense is too simple, and team has some droughts of point producing from time to time
  • does not get the most out of his players offensively
  • he is very demanding, always pushing players to give it all, but apparently it results in some players tuning him out and just coasting: looks like both PG and David West, I think, admitted this fact, so his stars don't get full accountability
That's what I remember from the podcast, but despite KingMilz sarcasm it does sound somewhat familiar to complaints about Malone.
P.S. btw apparently Bird came to Vogel before this season and said, that team should average 6 more points, which is quite a ridiculous demand, and actually not that far from early Vivek.
You can say the exact same thing about Thibs who everyone wanted. I think Vogel did a fine job this year easing Turner into the season and getting tons out of him, making Monta a even more of a passer than he was in Dallas,PG had his best season ever and when he realised playing PG at PF was not working he switched it up went big and for the playoffs switched it up again and went to Solomon Hill at PF.

If it were not for Indiana's bench killing (Lawson/Stuckey)the Pacers they win game 5 and most likely the series. Also look at the careers of Lance/Hibbert since leaving Frank Vogel while he's resurrected the careers of Stuckey and got a team to 38 wins with Donald Sloan starting at PG for a huge chunk of a season while George and Hill for out for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a very difficult time here. I'm really trying to fair, and as objective as possible. On one hand, I was very upset with how Karl was coaching the team. He did some things that I couldn't understand. His interview with Voisin explained some of it, even is I didn't totally agree with him, I at least understood why he did what he did to some extent. However, to paint Karl as a totally inept coach that's incapable of coaching in the NBA is something I can't go along with. To totally blame Karl for everything that happened last season is to be totally close minded.

I wanted Cousins drafted by the Kings when most on this forum didn't want him. Some of you can say differently now, but I remember those I had heated arguments with. I defended him in college, and I defended him once on the Kings. And right now, I have to admit, I'm tired of defending him. He's still my favorite player on the team, but I can't hold him blameless. Vlade shares some of the blame in this as well. Yes, I know that Vlade didn't hire Karl, but he usurped any power that Karl had when he failed to back him in November when Cousins went off in the clubhouse.

From that moment on, Karl had no power on the team. He stood embarrassed in front of the entire team after being undressed by Cousins, and didn't get the backing from Vlade. Now you can say that Karl had it coming, but do you really think that's the way to start the season. Vlade would have better off if he had fired Karl right then and there. If you not going to back your head coach, then you need to change your head coach. When Petrie wouldn't back Westphall, he got rid of him. When your the head coach, your either the boss, or you not. And if your not, you shouldn't be there. So I blame Karl, I blame Vlade, and I blame Cousins. All three contributed to the mess.

As much as I love Cousins as a player, I'm not going to get down on my knee's and worship at his altar. He needs to be treated the same way every other player on the team is treated. He says that's what he wants, so hire someone that will hold him to it. Cuz needs to learn that communication works both ways. If you have a problem, try knocking on the coaches door and having a conversation with him before cursing him out in front of god and everyone. I realize that he gets angry, but so do I, and I've found that screaming and yelling at someone rarely gets the results I want. I'd tell my son or daughter the same thing.

So I think I'm done being a part of this conversation, because frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. I'm tired of the bias on both sides. You know what, I'm 74 years old, maybe I'm just tired period. Maybe the values I grew up with aren't relevant anymore. Maybe I need to learn how to text. Hey, Jon Snow is alive, so all is well with the world...Right?
I totally agree with you on giving the coach total power to coach. Otherwise you can't hold him accountable. However, the coach is not responsible for the roster and roster moves. That is the responsibility of the GM. The GM may ask the coach for his opinion or suggestions, but it is not for the coach to discuss such issues, certainly not in public. I give Vlade the points for not hiring Karl and having to deal with that on the entry. The interview partly gave the impression that Karl, too, retrospectively understood that he stepped over the line and at least partly put Vlade in a very complicated situation. So, yes, you have to give the coach the power and back him up. However, the process should have been the reverse. The GM has the overall view of what kind of basketball he wants the team to play. He selects the roster and the head coach that are most likely to get it done. After that you support the HC to execute the plan.

You can say the exact same thing about Thibs who everyone wanted. I think Vogel did a fine job this year easing Turner into the season and getting tons out of him, making Monta a even more of a passer than he was in Dallas,PG had his best season ever and when he realised playing PG at PF was not working he switched it up went big and for the playoffs switched it up again and went to Solomon Hill at PF.

If it were not for Indiana's bench killing (Lawson/Stuckey)the Pacers they win game 5 and most likely the series. Also look at the careers of Lance/Hibbert since leaving Frank Vogel while he's resurrected the careers of Stuckey and got a team to 38 wins with Donald Sloan starting at PG for a huge chunk of a season while George and Hill for out for a long time.
Even though I don't agree with it, that's a wide-spread belief over there, and more importantly for Vogel that seems to be the thinking of FO. I guess, it's as simple as grass is always greener...Just to further my point, anyone would still fire Malone?

I didn't see this mentioned, but Byron Scott was on the Dan Patrick show on monday and said he would love to interview for the Kings job and he said that even before naming other teams. Immediately called Cousins the best big man in the game.

Bryon is a strict coach who has championship experience as a player and has varying degrees of success as a coach. You will have to earn his respect and when you do, he will respect and stick up for you. He regularly called out Russell and Randle for their immaturity and did not let them off the hook. He had no problems benching Randle and Russell even though Russell is the supposed chosen one for the lakers future until they both started listening and played defense. There can be arguments on both sides as to why Scott would or wouldn't work well with Boogie.

Scott started his coaching career as an assistant with the Kings so there is a connection there. He was obviously successful with the Nets and I think he did well with the Hornets considering the roster. He never had a chance with the Cavs as LeBron left days after he was hired. Regarding the lakers, he took the job being told that the first 2 years will be a transitional period while kobe gets his farewell. He was told by the management that they understand they won't be winning anytime soon. So to fire him after he took the loses on his resume is kind of ridiculous and the media would be calling the team dysfunctional if our Kings did something like this.

Again, I'm not sure how well his hard nosed approach will work with Boogie, but he does keep it real with the players. Which is part of what Cousins wants. Since Vlade is interviewing or interested in basically everyone, he should be given an interview as well.

This feels like free agent search last season. So many names but in reality its probably just a lot of coaches interviewing to put their name out there, feeling out their value for other teams. In the end we will hire the first "big name" that is willing to coach this dumpster fire. Why are we interviewing everyone and their mom while other teams have filled their positions without all the fanfare?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I didn't see this mentioned, but Byron Scott was on the Dan Patrick show on monday and said he would love to interview for the Kings job and he said that even before naming other teams. Immediately called Cousins the best big man in the game.

Bryon is a strict coach who has championship experience as a player and has varying degrees of success as a coach. You will have to earn his respect and when you do, he will respect and stick up for you. He regularly called out Russell and Randle for their immaturity and did not let them off the hook. He had no problems benching Randle and Russell even though Russell is the supposed chosen one for the lakers future until they both started listening and played defense. There can be arguments on both sides as to why Scott would or wouldn't work well with Boogie.

Scott started his coaching career as an assistant with the Kings so there is a connection there. He was obviously successful with the Nets and I think he did well with the Hornets considering the roster. He never had a chance with the Cavs as LeBron left days after he was hired. Regarding the lakers, he took the job being told that the first 2 years will be a transitional period while kobe gets his farewell. He was told by the management that they understand they won't be winning anytime soon. So to fire him after he took the loses on his resume is kind of ridiculous and the media would be calling the team dysfunctional if our Kings did something like this.

Again, I'm not sure how well his hard nosed approach will work with Boogie, but he does keep it real with the players. Which is part of what Cousins wants. Since Vlade is interviewing or interested in basically everyone, he should be given an interview as well.
er...please no. :)

Once in his younger days Scott was moderately well thought of, and his old school understanding of big men would be intriguing, but, BUT....we absolutely desperately need to put together a winner here. Need to go as far as we can to guarantee that the coach doesn't blow us the season, that the coach is ready to win if the roster can. And meanwhile Byron is 7 years removed from his last even 30 win coaching season. He's won 3 (of 9), 19, 21 (of 66), 24, 21 and 17 games in since 2009, and had 5 winning seasons in 15 years as a coach. And yeah, they have been for rebuilding teams. but that's kind of the point. He's almost as far removed from winning basketball as we are. He's like the Sacramento Kings of coaches, and hiring him would be as far from a comfortable "we're going to win now" sensation as we could get.

Well it's one thing to hold players accountable behind closed doors, but I seem to recall Byron calling players out in the media. I don't think that flies with NBA players, in general.