Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I see Patrick Ewing's name mentioned and I shudder with the memory of Bill Russell.
The way I'm looking at it right now (and yes, it may be only me who is this cynical), this thread is really less about who we might get to coach us next season and more about who we are going to be firing this time next year. From that point of view, Patrick Ewing is as good as anybody, right?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The way I'm looking at it right now (and yes, it may be only me who is this cynical), this thread is really less about who we might get to coach us next season and more about who we are going to be firing this time next year. From that point of view, Patrick Ewing is as good as anybody, right?
Given the parameters you have set up. Ewing would be perfect. :)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a somewhat odd take on this that adds up to an agreement that Vlade will interview as many people as he can. Vlade doesn't know what a good coach sounds like when interviewed. If I was he, I would interview certifiably bad coaches to get a feel of the warning signs. I would have him interview many others to learn what to look for. He can have as much time as he needs because we really can't afford to screw up another signing.
Vlade Divac played under Pat Riley, Mike Dunleavy, Randy Pfund, Del Harris, Dave Cowens, Rick Adelman and Rudy Tomjanovich. I'm pretty sure he knows the difference between good coaches and bad coaches. And beyond that I think he'll be able to figure out quickly which guys will work well with him, share a similar vision about basketball etc. And we already know he's leaned on Popovich, Petrie and Adelman as far as team building and selecting a coach. If Morway is brought on board that's another voice that can aid in the search. As I mentioned before, Vlade will be hamstrung by the fact that the Kings job is maybe the least attractive job opening right now and that the big name coaches won't want the gig. But he'll get the coach he wants. And I have a lot more faith in a guy like Vlade making that decision than a GM who never played the game.

The only way the next coach is getting fired at the end of next season is if Ranadive is firing Vlade too. D'Alessandro was forced to work with a coach he didn't hire and whom he didn't see eye to eye with. Same thing with Divac inheriting Karl. This will be Vlade's hire and I don't see any way this next coach would be fired after a season.

I think there's a reason that Vlade hasn't flat out said this offseason that they are building around Cousins and why he's been consistent in saying that he's hiring the next coach for the long term and not based on the current roster/Cousins. He's a million times more tactful than George Karl but from where I sit it sure seems like Vlade is looking to give it one more go with Cousins as the centerpiece. If the team improves, great. If not, I think Cousins is dealt at the deadline next year.

IF that is the game plan it lends even more credence to the notion that the coach Vlade hires will be around for more than a year. If the team wins with Cousins then obviously he stays on. And if the team rebuilds then he gets a pass for at least next year and probably beyond.

Every offseason we talk about it being a critical one for the Kings. But what is truly different this time around is that there's the potential to create a lasting foundation. A stable front office working with a hand-picked coach with the two of them sharing a philosophy and helping to build a positive culture. That hasn't been the case in Sacramento since the Petrie/Adelman era.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Vlade Divac played under Pat Riley, Mike Dunleavy, Randy Pfund, Del Harris, Dave Cowens, Rick Adelman and Rudy Tomjanovich. I'm pretty sure he knows the difference between good coaches and bad coaches. And beyond that I think he'll be able to figure out quickly which guys will work well with him, share a similar vision about basketball etc. And we already know he's leaned on Popovich, Petrie and Adelman as far as team building and selecting a coach. If Morway is brought on board that's another voice that can aid in the search. As I mentioned before, Vlade will be hamstrung by the fact that the Kings job is maybe the least attractive job opening right now and that the big name coaches won't want the gig. But he'll get the coach he wants. And I have a lot more faith in a guy like Vlade making that decision than a GM who never played the game.

The only way the next coach is getting fired at the end of next season is if Ranadive is firing Vlade too. D'Alessandro was forced to work with a coach he didn't hire and whom he didn't see eye to eye with. Same thing with Divac inheriting Karl. This will be Vlade's hire and I don't see any way this next coach would be fired after a season.

I think there's a reason that Vlade hasn't flat out said this offseason that they are building around Cousins and why he's been consistent in saying that he's hiring the next coach for the long term and not based on the current roster/Cousins. He's a million times more tactful than George Karl but from where I sit it sure seems like Vlade is looking to give it one more go with Cousins as the centerpiece. If the team improves, great. If not, I think Cousins is dealt at the deadline next year.

IF that is the game plan it lends even more credence to the notion that the coach Vlade hires will be around for more than a year. If the team wins with Cousins then obviously he stays on. And if the team rebuilds then he gets a pass for at least next year and probably beyond.

Every offseason we talk about it being a critical one for the Kings. But what is truly different this time around is that there's the potential to create a lasting foundation. A stable front office working with a hand-picked coach with the two of them sharing a philosophy and helping to build a positive culture.
I know that he has played under a lot of good coaches. He never has interviewed them for a job and that might be something different.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think you're correct on this, just wanted to point out that was more gallows humor than a serious prediction.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know that he has played under a lot of good coaches. He never has interviewed them for a job and that might be something different.
Well, it isn't as if they are solely going to be considered on the basis of their interview. There's their reputation around the league from players & coaches, their philosophy and (for guys who have been head coaches) their track record.

Sean Marks is a first time GM, is a young guy (he was a year ahead of me at Cal so I'm guessing he's 40) and has presumably never interviewed head coaches before either. And I think he did a great job in sewing up Kenny Atkinson right away.

Maybe it's misplaced but right now I have a lot of faith in Vlade's judgement. Let's see who he picks.

I honestly don't know about this one... I feel like if Vlade brings in someone inexperienced like Ime Udoka or Jay Larranaga, and they decide they don't want to put up with Cousins' antics... I could see things going south very quickly. Cousins is a guy who seems like he wants to be respected, before respecting. If the new HC comes in right away, and tell Cuz he doesn't like his attitude, there's probably going to be clashing.

I could see Vlade easily siding with Cuz in this scenario because he'd have the excuses to.
1) Coach is a rookie
2) Cousins has 2 years left
3) Infatuated with Cousins (just guessing)

I think it would really depend on who the headcoach is. If it's a lame-duck, Vlade will easily fire him. If it's a well-respected coach, Vlade would probably side more with the HC. Can you imagine if JVG came to coach the Kings, but he and Cousins didn't get along? If Vlade fired him, I imagine Cousins' value would be down the drain, and Sacramento would be forced to look at D-League coaches.

This is why there's a lot on Vlade's plate right now. He has the find the right guy for this team moving forward. The next coach we hire needs to be here for at least 5 years. This should be a long-term hire.[/quote]

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly don't know about this one... I feel like if Vlade brings in someone inexperienced like Ime Udoka or Jay Larranaga, and they decide they don't want to put up with Cousins' antics... I could see things going south very quickly. Cousins is a guy who seems like he wants to be respected, before respecting. If the new HC comes in right away, and tell Cuz he doesn't like his attitude, there's probably going to be clashing.

I could see Vlade easily siding with Cuz in this scenario because he'd have the excuses to.
1) Coach is a rookie
2) Cousins has 2 years left
3) Infatuated with Cousins (just guessing)

I think it would really depend on who the headcoach is. If it's a lame-duck, Vlade will easily fire him. If it's a well-respected coach, Vlade would probably side more with the HC. Can you imagine if JVG came to coach the Kings, but he and Cousins didn't get along? If Vlade fired him, I imagine Cousins' value would be down the drain, and Sacramento would be forced to look at D-League coaches.

This is why there's a lot on Vlade's plate right now. He has the find the right guy for this team moving forward. The next coach we hire needs to be here for at least 5 years. This should be a long-term hire.
Well, any coach who accepts the job will know he's going to work with Cousins (assuming DMC isn't traded) and will do his homework on him. It isn't as if it will be a surprise. I think it is likely a candidate would even have some communication with Cousins before accepting the job.

And no coach hired this offseason will be a lameduck coach going into next season. He'll get at least a 3 year contract. And considering this is going to Vlade's hire I'm guessing if things go south with Cousins that Cousins would be traded.

I'm getting more and more convinced that Cousins will not be dealt this summer but would be traded at the deadline if things don't turn around.

The best scenario of course is that Vlade hires a coach that maximizes the talent of the roster - a roster which Vlade improves this offseason - and the team starts winning more games making everybody happy.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well, it isn't as if they are solely going to be considered on the basis of their interview. There's their reputation around the league from players & coaches, their philosophy and (for guys who have been head coaches) their track record.

Sean Marks is a first time GM, is a young guy (he was a year ahead of me at Cal so I'm guessing he's 40) and has presumably never interviewed head coaches before either. And I think he did a great job in sewing up Kenny Atkinson right away.

Maybe it's misplaced but right now I have a lot of faith in Vlade's judgement. Let's see who he picks.
I have faith in Vlade, also. I think he is THE upgrade to the FO that will help us shed years of horrible reputation. I suspect in the end, the person he picks will also be filtered through the minds of Popovich and Adelman. Can't go wrong with that. There actually is no one that pops to my mind who I would rather have in Vlade's position right now.

I'm getting more and more convinced that Cousins will not be dealt this summer but would be traded at the deadline if things don't turn around.
Welcome to the club!

And I agree with the rest of your post, too. If things go south again, I find it very unlikely that it's the coach that goes first. If they are having a hard time finding interested coaches now, think about if they fire someone else in short time, with Cousins as an apparent culprit. No one would come coach here.

Now that I think of it, that should be a selling point for the Kings job! Hey, come here and have ultimate job security, because we are so worried about our rep that we won't fire you no matter what!

There are some highly regarded guys. Kenny Atkinson was one. He was an assistant in Atlanta and just got hired by the Nets and new GM Sean Marks.

Others still out there would be Jay Larranaga from the Celtics, David Fizdale from the Heat, Luke Walton from the Warriors and my favorite Ime Udoka from the Spurs.

I'd love JVG but he's not taking this gig. Kevin McHale is intriguing to me. But if he's not the guy I'm more interested in looking at current assistants and college coaches than I am in guys like Del Negro, Mike Brown or Mark Jackson.

One interesting option might be Brett Brown. I'm wondering if Colangelo doesn't push his current coach out the door in favor of current assistant (and previous Suns head coach under Colangelo) Mike D'Antoni.

If so, Brown would be available and I think he's a very good head coach despite having what must be the lowest winning percentage of any NBA coach in history.
In terms of San Antonio assistants, what about Messina? Isn't he the guy in charge when Pop is gone? Seems like he might have more value than Ime? I know nothing, just inquiring!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is no news to me. I didn't expect Thibs to come here so it's all moot. I can't believe Thibs wants full control of a team, good luck with all that. Options are not limited here, it's just finding the right one and the one that meshes with Vlade's philosophy.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
In terms of San Antonio assistants, what about Messina? Isn't he the guy in charge when Pop is gone? Seems like he might have more value than Ime? I know nothing, just inquiring!
The unknown with Messina for me is his ego. He was very, very successful in Europe and in the NBA he's only known the Spurs which would be a different world than Cousins and the Kings. I wonder if he'd be a good match.

And not that he'd have a limited shelf life but he would be a fairly old first time coach at 56.

My preference for Udoka has to do with his youth, energy, temperament (again, I don't know about Messina but Udoka is a calm presence and good communicator) and his experience playing on the NBA on good and bad teams. I think he'd relate to the players well.

And because I'm not convinced that the Kings won't deal Cousins and rebuild at some point I think it's good to have a guy who can win now or who you'd be comfortable with in a rebuilding scenario.

But based on the guys coming in for preliminary interviews it sure looks like Vlade's preference is for a guy with head coaching experience in the NBA.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to ESPN, the first three interviews will be Mark Jackson, Vinny del Negro, and Sam Mitchell.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...iew-mark-jackson-vinny-del-negro-sam-mitchell
Yeah, and Mike Brown is supposed to come in soon after.

Sounds like Thibs and Brooks have no interest and McHale hasn't decided if he's going to meet with the Kings about their opening.

I hope some more interesting names pop up because right now there are some guys I'm meh on (Mitchell, Del Negro, Hornacek, McMillan) and a few guys I really don't want (Jackson, Brown, Ewing).

I've been beating the Udoka drum but I haven't seen anything that says the Kings are even considering him. It's hard to say how good of a coach Luke Walton is and I don't know enough about Messina or Blatt.

I really hope Vlade gets this right.

Last edited:
I think the NYK's are going to keep Rambis making the coaching market even tighter. Let's say Thibs takes the Minnesota gig then things can really interesting. But if I had to make a prediction I say it's going to be Brooks.

I feel like as Kings fans just when we think we are working with a clean slate and going to make the right decision we instead continue down the road of complete lunacy. It seems like it keeps happening with draft picks, coaches, trades, etc. Now it's happening with this first round of interviews. I feel
Like we are going to end up hiring a guy like Mike Brown or VDN. It's like we just aren't capable of being a competent franchise.

I feel like as Kings fans just when we think we are working with a clean slate and going to make the right decision we instead continue down the road of complete lunacy. It seems like it keeps happening with draft picks, coaches, trades, etc. Now it's happening with this first round of interviews. I feel
Like we are going to end up hiring a guy like Mike Brown or VDN. It's like we just aren't capable of being a competent franchise.
Nah, we'll be fine. The last of the PDA stench is gone, I think Vlade will make the right decision here. Vlade knows basketball

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah, and Mike Brown is supposed to come in soon after.

Sounds like Thibs and Brooks have no interest and McHale hasn't decided if he's going to meet with the Kings about their opening.

I hope some more interesting names pop up because right now there are some guys I'm meh on (Del Negro, Hornacek, McMillan) and a few guys I really don't want (Jackson, Mitchell, Brown, Ewing).

I've been beating the Udoka drum but I haven't seen anything that says the Kings are even considering him. It's hard to say how good of a coach Luke Walton is and I don't know enough about Messina or Blatt.

I really hope Vlade gets this right.
I think who ever Vlade hires, there will be a handful of posters who aren't going to like it and/or will just have to accept who ever comes in and hope Vlade knows what he is doing.

K

KingMilz

Yes he delivered a quote -- it just doesn't say what he claimed it said. As far as paraphrases go, his attempt falls somewhere between facetiousness and straw-man reasoning. Maybe that's close enough for you, but from my point of view misquoting someone and then claiming victory on the basis of a throwaway line attributed to "unnamed sources" is bottom of the barrel provocation at best. And it makes me wonder why I even bother trying to converse with people if they're going to twist words to mean what they want them to mean anyway. If that's how it's going to be then we're not even communicating with each other at all, much less having a meaningful conversation.
It's not about winning/losing I was just surprised that Thibs despite forming a relationship (you form relationship's with people you like/love) would have zero interest in coaching a "HOF Big"/"Best Big in the NBA"/"Most dominant big since Shaq" entering his PRIME along with another guy he formed a relationship with in Rudy Gay in a profession where there is only 30 head coaches. Not to mention his relationship with Rondo as well in Boston, for him to have zero interest (which the sources say) if truly baffling to me.

If Thibs formed a relationship with Cousins/Gay that clearly implies he liked/loved them and they liked him.

I think the NYK's are going to keep Rambis making the coaching market even tighter. Let's say Thibs takes the Minnesota gig then things can really interesting. But if I had to make a prediction I say it's going to be Brooks.
There's rumors posted above...or somewhere... that Brooks isn't interested in the job. He's going for Washington

Perhaps if they were playing in Minnesota he would love to coach them there. Personally I am in the camp that if Thibs decides not to come here that it has more to do with ownership/FO and or stability of the past coaching positions here since RA/Petrie era than a dislike of the talent on the roster.

Not to mention Minnesota does have a promising up and coming roster.