Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

At the end of the day, there are only so many of these jobs available on the planet.
How many of these guys would rather go unemployed than be the savior of this team? That seems not only cowardly but really stupid.
Well Guys like McHale that are getting paid not to Coach for two more years might show a little patience:) But yes I agree with you in the case of most of the coach propects out there.

I'm not sure if someone posted this but an article was written that stated Tom Thibadoe is demanding not just control of coaching and the roster but wants final say on all roster decisions. Yikes! The article states that only Minnesota will grant that request. He is a good coach but that is too steep for me if I am the Kings.

I'm not sure if someone posted this but an article was written that stated Tom Thibadoe is demanding not just control of coaching and the roster but wants final say on all roster decisions. Yikes! The article states that only Minnesota will grant that request. He is a good coach but that is too steep for me if I am the Kings.
I don't think Minnesota should go after Thibbs. Minnesota should go after Scott Brooks. Look at how he developed OKCs roster.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, I've updated the first post to show candidates still available and the ones that are no long options.

On another note, interesting to see that Thibodeau is aggressively going after the T'Wolves job and his goal is to have full control of the franchise. Player personnel decisions, hiring and firing of employees, organizational philosophy etc. I suppose since he was fired from his last job for (at least in part) not getting along with management then the best option for your next job is to make yourself in charge of management. Seems like Mark Jackson should be angling for the same setup.

Anyway, I believe the T'Wolves are the only job available that has a vacancy in both the front office and the bench so it's Minny or bust for that strategy for Thibs. Sounds like he'd be willing to take a coach only job, but his preference is to have full reign over things. Also sounds like the Kings job is not one he'd even consider. Understandable I suppose, though made a bit more painful by the fact that he came and saw the organization up close this last season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Understandable I suppose, though made a bit more painful by the fact that he came and saw the organization up close this last season.
It might have been fortuitous all the way around if Thibs voiced his desire to be the grand poobah while he was visiting with the organization. Much rather have those cards on the table from the beginning than have to go through another case where people on either side or both have hidden agendas.

What I see as almost locks:
Minnesota - Thibs
Wizards - Brooks
Nets - Atkinson*

* - Already hired

Teams likely needing a coach:
Kings
Knicks
Suns
Rockets
Lakers (maybe?)

Coaches available for those five teams:
Blatt*
JVG (maybe)
Fratello (maybe)
Ettore Messina*
McHale (maybe)
Larranga*

*Denotes guys I wouldn't mind being hired.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I see as almost locks:
Minnesota - Thibs
Wizards - Brooks
Nets - Atkinson*

* - Already hired

Teams likely needing a coach:
Kings
Knicks
Suns
Rockets
Lakers (maybe?)

Coaches available for those five teams:
Blatt*
JVG (maybe)
Fratello (maybe)
Ettore Messina*
McHale (maybe)
Larranga*

*Denotes guys I wouldn't mind being hired.
There's also Lionel Hollins, Mark Jackson & Monty Williams among the guys who have been head coaches. And among assistants there's Luke Walton, David Fizdale, and my guy Ime Udoka among others. And any college coaches willing to make the leap - Ollie and Bennett in particular.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on Thibs situation?

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 54m54 minutes ago
Footnote on the Wolves' coaching situation: Sources say Minnesota is the party pitching the coach/team president scenario, NOT Tom Thibodeau

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 52m52 minutes ago
Most important factors to Thibodeau as he considers job opportunities, sources say, are strength of roster and team's commitment to winning
Makes a lot of sense. Thibodeau doesn't strike me as the right fit for a rebuilding team (Brooklyn, Phoenix, Lakers etc) as his strength isn't in player development, it's in maximizing existing talent. The Wolves may be young but they are definitely the most talented team in need of a coach. Especially with Houston looking like the wheels are falling off and with Howard potentially opting out and leaving.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Minnesota is the most desirable coaching job right now because you're getting Wiggins/Towns/LaVine for probably the next 10 years and you've got a high draft pick this year to work with as well. All things being equal, it's difficult to see any coach turning that job down to come here. We have talent too -- Cousins is a superstar right now and Rondo and Gay are star level veterans -- but it's aging and/or mitigated with attitude issues. But the decision is also about personalities and whether the owner/GM/coach can work together every day for the next 5 years or more. I don't know much about the Minnesota front office. They've assembled a nice collection of talent but considering what happened to Thibs in Chicago last year, he's probably going to be extra cautious about entering a new team situation unless he's convinced that the groundwork for productive communication is there. Vlade is a likable guy and we do have a brand new arena to sell people on. I don't think our chances are as bad as ESPN has insinuated. Yes we've churned through coaches recently, but Minnesota hasn't been much better in that respect.

Minnesota is the most desirable coaching job right now because you're getting Wiggins/Towns/LaVine for probably the next 10 years and you've got a high draft pick this year to work with as well. All things being equal, it's difficult to see any coach turning that job down to come here. We have talent too -- Cousins is a superstar right now and Rondo and Gay are star level veterans -- but it's aging and/or mitigated with attitude issues. But the decision is also about personalities and whether the owner/GM/coach can work together every day for the next 5 years or more. I don't know much about the Minnesota front office. They've assembled a nice collection of talent but considering what happened to Thibs in Chicago last year, he's probably going to be extra cautious about entering a new team situation unless he's convinced that the groundwork for productive communication is there. Vlade is a likable guy and we do have a brand new arena to sell people on. I don't think our chances are as bad as ESPN has insinuated. Yes we've churned through coaches recently, but Minnesota hasn't been much better in that respect.
To be honest, I don't think coaches care at all about an arena... I highly doubt FAs do either. It's just one of those things being said to get fans excited.

I think you've over-playing our players a bit. Cousins is a great talent, but he's a big mess to clean up. Not all coaches want to deal with players like Cousins.

Rondo isn't necessarily a sexy piece. In a league dominated by elite scoring guards and 3pt shooting, the Kings won't survive moving forward with a 30yearold Rondo. Rondo is a jackass in his own very right mind too. It's a perimeter league now, and I don't think Rondo gives you success.

I think Gay is the only guy who doesn't have too many flaws as a solid #3 option. He's a talented scorer who's numbers dipped this year due to less opportunities on offense.

Minnesota has finally gotten things back on track. As much as people here don't like to admit it, KAT looks a lot better than Cousins at the moment. Even if you take out LaVine and Wiggins... who would you rather coach? DeMarcus Cousins or Karl-Anthony Towns?

Our team is one of the most dysfunctional franchise in the NBA. The only thing separating us and the Nets is that we actually have our pick this year. At least they Sean Marks, who actually has some-type of FO experience. The Kings got a former player who they can't stop reminiscing over from the 2000s. The Nets even drafted a guard who averages the same RPG as WCS.
This team is dysfunctional. ESPN doesn't have an agenda against us. I used to think this too, until I finally saw that I was in denial from all the BS this team feeds us.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
To be honest, I don't think coaches care at all about an arena... I highly doubt FAs do either. It's just one of those things being said to get fans excited.

I think you've over-playing our players a bit. Cousins is a great talent, but he's a big mess to clean up. Not all coaches want to deal with players like Cousins.

Rondo isn't necessarily a sexy piece. In a league dominated by elite scoring guards and 3pt shooting, the Kings won't survive moving forward with a 30yearold Rondo. Rondo is a jackass in his own very right mind too. It's a perimeter league now, and I don't think Rondo gives you success.

I think Gay is the only guy who doesn't have too many flaws as a solid #3 option. He's a talented scorer who's numbers dipped this year due to less opportunities on offense.

Minnesota has finally gotten things back on track. As much as people here don't like to admit it, KAT looks a lot better than Cousins at the moment. Even if you take out LaVine and Wiggins... who would you rather coach? DeMarcus Cousins or Karl-Anthony Towns?

Our team is one of the most dysfunctional franchise in the NBA. The only thing separating us and the Nets is that we actually have our pick this year. At least they Sean Marks, who actually has some-type of FO experience. The Kings got a former player who they can't stop reminiscing over from the 2000s. The Nets even drafted a guard who averages the same RPG as WCS.
This team is dysfunctional. ESPN doesn't have an agenda against us. I used to think this too, until I finally saw that I was in denial from all the BS this team feeds us.
Going from one of the oldest and most out of date facilities in the league to the newest absolutely makes a difference. I don't think we're selling people on a new arena though as much as we're just no longer hampered by a bad one. It's a quality of life issue. If you're going to work in the same building for years and spend a large chunk of your time there, you want it to be clean and inviting. You want comfortable chairs and warm lighting. Maybe people don't actively think about it, but if it's not there you notice.

I don't want to go deeply into the percieved problems with Rondo and Cousins here in yet another unrelated topic, but I will say this: Thibodeau knows Cousins and Gay through Team USA and he knows Rondo from his time in Boston. He's got a better idea than anyone if he could make it work. Any of them could be gone next year or Vlade could bring them all back. That's something for Vlade to discuss with whoever wants the job. And as much as I like Karl Anthony-Towns, he didn't average 27, 11, and 3 this season or make 70 threes or grab 100 steals for the third time in his career. DeMarcus is without a doubt a bigger star right now than anyone on Minnesota's roster. I don't know how we've arrived at a point in time where Cousins is more underrated in his own fanbase than the rest of the league, but any coach worth his salt would kill for an opportunity to "clean up" that mess.

And it counts for something that Rondo outright led a league dominated by high volume scoring guards in assists, was near the top in steals, and shot a very respectable 36.5% from three this season. That's above average at the position. He was very close to becoming the first PG since hall of famer John Stockton to average 12 assists per game. And he was selected to four straight all-defense teams under Thibodeau's tutelage in Boston. At least some of that sounds appealing to me, jackass or no.

Today's perimeter league is tomorrow's bump and grind league. It's just basketball. A 7 foot monster catching the ball 5 feet from the basket is still the most reliable way to put points on the board and that's what you get with Rondo/Cousins.

Last edited:
Going from one of the oldest and most out of date facilities in the league to the newest absolutely makes a difference. I don't think we're selling people on a new arena though as much as we're just no longer hampered by a bad one. It's a quality of life issue. If you're going to work in the same building for years and spend a large chunk of your time there, you want it to be clean and inviting. You want comfortable chairs and warm lighting. Maybe people don't actively think about it, but if it's not there you notice.

I don't want to go deeply into the percieved problems with Rondo and Cousins here in yet another unrelated topic, but I will say this: Thibodeau knows Cousins and Gay through Team USA and he knows Rondo from his time in Boston. He's got a better idea than anyone if he could make it work. Any of them could be gone next year or Vlade could bring them all back. That's something for Vlade to discuss with whoever wants the job. And as much as I like Karl Anthony-Towns, he didn't average 27, 11, and 3 this season or make 70 threes or grab 100 steals for the third time in his career. DeMarcus is without a doubt a bigger star right now than anyone on Minnesota's roster. I don't know how we've arrived at a point in time where Cousins is more underrated in his own fanbase than the rest of the league, but any coach worth his salt would kill for an opportunity to "clean up" that mess.

And it counts for something that Rondo outright led a league dominated by high volume scoring guards in assists, was near the top in steals, and shot a very respectable 36.5% from three this season. That's above average at the position. He was very close to becoming the first PG since hall of famer John Stockton to average 12 assists per game. And he was selected to four straight all-defense teams under Thibodeau's tutelage in Boston. At least some of that sounds appealing to me, jackass or no.

Today's perimeter league is tomorrow's bump and grind league. It's just basketball. A 7 foot monster catching the ball 5 feet from the basket is still the most reliable way to put points on the board and that's what you get with Rondo/Cousins.
Well if the sources are right, Thibs already made his mind about coaching Cousins, Gay and Rondo. I guess there is a reason he isn't interested, wether it is because he doesn't believe in our roster or doesn't believe in our FO.
And you can actually make a strong case, that thr best way to put up points on the board today is a scoring guard coming of multiple borderline illegal screens with the options to shoot an open 3 or to drive for a floater/layup or to dish for a corner three.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--tom-thibodeau-pursuing-full-team-control-185614502.html

Several teams with openings have interest in Thibodeau as a coach, including Washington and Houston, but those organizations aren’t offering full control, sources said. The Sacramento coaching job is open, but Thibodeau has no interest in the Kings’ organization, sources said
Full control? Get out of here with that crap.

Plenty of other options out there, we don't need another guy on a power trip.

Not to be a debbie-downer, but Thibs ain't coming to Sacramento. I have a better chance of winning the lotto than Thibs coming here.