Votes: 8 12.1%
  • No, even if Cuz plays.

Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

This job gets hard sometimes.

So silver linings....If you're going to lose, at least lose colorfully?

Not so silver linings: losses like this can sap the will and cohesion of a team. If we have lost Cousins again (apparently this season we are only going to get to watch him every other week), it could even trigger a spiral. Don't compete vs. Bucks on the last game of the trip, come home and Anthony-Towns feats on us without Cousins, Warriors smash us down, and we end up at 5-13 and clinging for playoff life again. But brave little chins up everybody, maybe it works out ok. Cuz comes back, and we take it out on the Bucks. You never know. We're actually still on my .500 by Jan. 7 pace. I predicted a spit of the Charlotte/Milwaulkee pair. then we beat Minny, lose to the Warriors, finish the month 7-11, etc. As long as this doesn;t dishearten us. As long as we haven't lost Cuz again.

Ok, the game in snippets:
-- poor start, Rudy irrelevant
-- Hornets packing middle, so Boogie settles and settles some more for jumpers, but starts draining everything pulling us back into the game and chasing Jefferson.
-- Cousins picks up 2nd foul, not enough attention paid -- always a critical moment in Kingsland
-- Karl returns Cousins too quick in the 2nd quarter, he barely lasts 2 minutes before he has his 3rd foul. Uhoh.
-- We were up 5-6 when he left, but wobble, collapse, and barely scrounge out a buzzer beating tie at halftime (one of two Gay buzzer beaters tonight)
-- start of 3rd quarter, obvious attempt to get Rudy going, orchestrated masterfully by Rondo. Rudy explodes, Rondo general, Cuz keeps perking, and we blow the hornets off the floor. Up 22 at one point after being tied at halftime. Then the trouble starts.
-- at some point, on a play I did not see, Cousins starts hobbling and clutching his back or hip. Slows down up and own court, lacking explosion. Eventually gets pulled and heads to the locker room -- but by the way the time we actually increased that lead without him this time.
-- we lose focus and begin to suffer the non-Cuz doldrums down the stretch of the 3rd, the 22 pt lead is down to 17 by the end of the quarter, and we barely managed to hold that.
-- beginning of 4th Cuz returns, but now the Hornets have a new tactic as Cody Zeller is inserted and he initiates the if you touch me I'll flop like a little ***** defense. And its effectie. Cuz gets a foul, starts getting really tentative (after having already had to play passive defense much of the game) on both ends, gets a 2nd foul, and you can see how reluctant and careful he is being about everything. He doesn't drive hard as the Horents are trying to take a charge, every time he posts Zeller Zeller bends like a reed waiting to fall and Cuz backs off. Once the 5th foul is there he can't challenge Kemba blowing by the defense very hard either (Kemba had already repeatedly treid to put fouls on him in the 3rd).
-- we begin our collapse. Nobody on the perimeter can stop anybody, but especially Kemba, who shreds us. With Cousins tentative, and possibly hurt, we start to panic. Gay turns back into a pumpkin. Belinelli misses all his shots. Karl keeping going smaller and smaller thinking that will fix things. We allow 53 Hornets points in the final 17 minutes of game time. Which is grotesque -- that's a 149.6pt per 48 minute scoring pace.
-- in the final minute we fall behind, Karl pulls Cuz entirely. On the final defensive play of regulation, game tied, Karl does not put in ANY of our 7 footers. our two largest players are Casspi and Gay. Walker sees this and drives right to the win for the apparent game winner.
-- in a miracle finish Rondo hits Gay with an out of bounds pass for a semi-oop layup with 0.7 seconds to go to tie it and send it to overtime.
-- Cousins never returns. In OT now its Jeremy Lin's turn to carve up our defense at will.
-- We lose.

Fun stuff huh?

Boxscore

Stats: 42min 28pts (13-21, 2-4, 0-1) 10reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 3TO
Summary: 28-10, but over half of those numbers in one explosive 3rd quarter. Somehow he'll get blamed for this.

Gay ( B ) -- ok, sorry for the delay. Had much to do. Rudy started this one off in quiet and largely ineffective fashion. It was not so much he was forcing up a lot of bad shots as he was simply not even getting any off. But there was an obvious decision made at halftime to get Rudy involved, and Rajon was going to be the getter involver. And it worked in a big way. Gay came exploding out of the halftime, and aside from missing 1 technical FT, he hit our first 4 FGs, and just kept on pouring it on as we as a team did the same. He finished with 16 points in the quarter and until the final minute could not miss. Unfortunately the great run was the bulk of his production in the entire game. He scored 16pts on 7-8 shooting in the 3rd, and 12 points on 6-13 for the rest of the game, 6 in the first half, and 6 in the 4th and OT. But if he'd merely seen the scoring dry up the grade would have ended up higher. Instead he got stuck playing PF and made some really dumb fouls down the stretch without any FGs to alleviate them. He picked his one late moment well, tipping in the miracle typing tip at the regulation buzzer with 0.7 second left as Rondo found him for the alley oop. And then hit an early jumper to start OT, but that was it, he disappeared again. Cousins had already been disappeared, and the game tier to reach OT turned out to have been wasted. So one tremendous run, and a huge tip, surrounded by largely subpar, although not horrendous, mediocrity. --Brick

Stats: 8min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: played surprisingly spotty defense in his brief time on the court, but 8 minutes? Really? When they scored 53 on us in the 4th and OT?

Cauley-Stein ( INC ) -- he played 8 minutes? What is there to say? But to be fair to Karl, they were not a grand 8 minutes. And the surprising thing was the number of defensive coverages he was blowing up op on the perimeter. Of course we never got a chance to see if was going to correct that, since Karl just entirely benched him. Even when the Hornets went with 2 near-7 footers of their own. Even on the very last defensive possession of regulation when Karl inserted 5 guards and SFs, and then watched, shocked, when Kemba Walker sized up thesituation and drove right to the undefended rim for a layup to put the Bucks up 2 with less than a second to go.--Brick

Stats: 31min 30pts (13-21, 2-6, 2-4) 11reb 1ast 1stl 3blk 4TO
Summary: terrifying thing is his AVERAGE games now are 30-11, and yet we may have lost him to another injury.

Cousins ( A ) -- To the extent it is possible to have a low-key 30 point game, that is what Cousins provided. At the beginning of the game, Jefferson was playing well off of Cousins, giving up the jumper. Cousins started the game with two three point attempts, neither of which was very close. He then moved in a few feet and couldn't miss for the rest of the quarter. Once he started hitting his 18 footers, Jefferson moved out and gave Cousins the opening for the upfake and drive game. Unfortunately, foul trouble popped up with a minute left in the game (this is a secondary effect of small ball - Cousins is the only goalie on the floor so he picks up more fouls.) He still managed to score 14 in the quarter on 6 of 8 shooting. The rest of the game was a little more up and down, with the midrange becoming less effective and foul trouble having an effect on defense. He also had a few magic Cousins misadventures that brought his game down from an A+. Midway through the third, during the Rudy show, Cousins tweaked his back or hip, possibly with some help from Cody Zeller who was playing the role of whiny thug tonight. After that, Cousins was done. He still scored a few points on jumpers, but he never really got going inside the paint again. There were numerous possessions late in the game where the Kings had zero presence inside on offense with Cousins not even making a feint at going toward the middle. He ended up sitting out down the closing stretch as the game turned into a smallball chuckfest and Kemba ran roughshod over the team's pitiful defense. --Hadlowe

Stats: 19min 10pts (4-6, 0-2, 2-2) 1reb 1ast 1stl 1blk 2TO
Summary: was a positive contributor, but saddled with even more foul trouble than Cousins

McLemore ( B- ) -- Ben started against the Hornets. Within a minute from the start Ben was on the scoreboard after two made free-throws, but picked up his first offensive foul also before the second minute of the game had passed. Ben guarded alternatively Kemba Walker of Nic Batum. In less than 5 minutes in the game he picked up his second foul and left the floor. Ben came back with 5 minutes left of the 2nd QT. Guarding Kemba Walker appeared difficult and Kemba managed to draw BenMc's 3rd foul and the return to the bench was fast. The missed corner 3-pointer didn't help either. Ben was not too involved in the Kings offense in the 3rd QT, but made a nice layup and a long 2-pointer. Ben left after drawing a foul from Williams with less than 4 min left of the 3rd QT and Kings up with 18 points. Ben came back with 6 minutes on the clock in the 4th, survived a few minutes and was gone. The loss was not because of BenMc and his effort. One of the few SAC players in + in the +/-.
--Kingston

Stats: 46min 14pts (6-12, 1-4, 1-2) 8reb 20ast 4stl 1blk 6TO
Summary: like Cousins, we're growing almost immune to the immense numbers. 20 more assists? Really?

Rondo ( ) -- --Brick

placeholder...

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 29min 7pts (3-11, 0-3, 1-1) 3reb 4ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Collison ( ) -- --Brick

Stats: 38min 17pts (7-17, 2-8, 1-1) 0reb 3ast 2stl 0blk 1TO
Belinelli ( C+ ) -- Marco entered the game early, after BenMc's second foul, in 5 minutes into the game. His first shot was way off (short). A non-factor offensively, he kept his man, Hairston/Lamb, off the scoring board for a while. Second shot, a corner three, was short as well. In the continuation, Lamb easily passed him for two. also later he had problems to stay in front of his guy. Just before the end of the 1st quarter Marco drained a 3-pointer to open his account and in the continuation hit a long 2-pointer. The start of the 2nd QT looked great as well when the corner three dropped. The next 2-pointer dropped as well. Entering again in the 2nd QT after McLemores quick exit, he had hard time to hold Batum. In the beginning of the 4th QT Marco committed an unnecessary offensive foul and could not keep Walker from hitting a critical 3-pointer but fixed it with a lucky corner 3-pointer. Then a great 4 point play with 7 minutes left on the clock. Could not stop Batum after Gay's TO. Great 2-pointer with 7 seconds left. Not one of his best shooting nights, but scored some important points when it counted. However, run out of gas in the OT. --Kingston

Stats: 27min 6pts (2-7, 1-4, 1-1) 5reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Casspi ( ) -- --Brick

Stats: 24min 10pts (4-9, 0-0, 2-4) 7reb 1ast 1stl 3blk 1TO
Koufos ( B- ) -- A decent statline for Kosta. Defensively, he did well enough to spell Cousins, though he couldn't make up for the porous perimeter defense that the Kings' switching scheme invites. He hit a flurry of little floaters in the second quarter, but was part of the collapse in the early fourth as the Kings' smallball, constant switching defense left him stranded guarding shooters on the perimeter while the Hornets' bigs took turns posting up the Kings' point guards. Was inexplicably out of the game for the final defensive possession when the Kings needed (A) rim protection and (B) rebounding to stop a follow-up tip. --Hadlowe

placeholder 2...

Last edited:

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
The offensive foul on cousins giving him his 4th was BS, Cousins trying to Post and Zeller just walks up into Cousin's arm bending backwards trying to embellish contact. Then a Phantom Call on Cousins for his 5th after no foul called for a push in the back on Zeller which leads to Cousins hitting his face on the floor

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Cuz going out in the 3rd wasn't the issue at all. The Kings buffed that lead up another 10 points or so when he went out. The problem started exactly at the 2:42 mark of the 3rd.

The offensive foul on cousins giving him his 4th was BS, Cousins trying to Post and Zeller just walks up into Cousin's arm bending backwards trying to embellish contact. Then a Phantom Call on Cousins for his 5th after no foul called for a push in the back on Zeller which leads to Cousins hitting his face on the floor
5th was legit. Cuz was hugging Zeller as he was backpeddling on defense.

Also on Brick's notes: halftime buzzer beater was a 3 by Rondo, not Gay.

I thought our struggles started in the 3rd quarter, up big, where we had a good 4 consecutive shots or something from 3. No penetration, guys were standing around and guys started settling for 3s.

I have yet to see anything good come out of the Rondo-Collison lineup. Or to be a bit more precise, I've yet to see anythign good come out of any lineup with Collison in it. Looks like a completely different player from last year: worse defense, uglier jumpshot.

Some of Rondo's TOs I can live with. Still not a fan of the full court passes but when a guy is averaging that many assists a game you kinda accept that it's going to come with a number of TOs, particularly for a guy like Rondo who can't shoot (and hence isn't going to be making pure simple passes off of guys closing on him). There was some talk in other threads about our TOs being up due to Karl's system. I disagree. A lot of Omri/Ben/Rudy's TOs come from just being stupid or careless with the ball. You could make the case that the offense affects Cuz and Rondo's TOs more, but every game I see Omri and Ben and Rudy just losing the handle or dribbling it off their feet or something of that sort.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Karl, Karl, Karl......

This isn't about the team needing time to gel.... this is systemic.

Switching defense is gimmicky garbage.

Small ball and pace is retarded for our roster. Doesn't take genius to see that.

He's misusing Rudy. Honestly, I still believe he's misusing Cuz. Cuz effectively hitting 3s and driving on slower bigs speaks more to the Boogie's ridiculous talent than Karl's ridiculous use of said talent.

One also has to wonder.... could Cuz's injuries be related to the pace/what he's asked to do in Karl's trash system? He's a pretty big guy... running around like that can't be great on the lower extremities.

Awful all around.

And to think, I was excited to have George here.... I'm feeling bamboozled! Hoodwinked even!

Bricklayer

Did Cousins have 6? Why didn't he play OT?
I'm guessing it was the injury. Which is why I'm concerned we lost him again. We were 1 minute form closing the game. If he can't go for 1 minute...

Unless Karl benched him because the injury was making it impossible to play like a roadrunner with his head cut off, which is obviously the key to winning.

Entity

Hall of Famer
We were up 22 and only had two shots in the paint from that point forward. We tried to be a perimeter team our fg% plummeted because of it and they chipped away because theirs increased. Cousins got the ball in the low post twice the whole game. The rest was perimeter or a few times facing up from elbow to drive.

When your up by 22 you close out the game by slowing it down and posting up getting to foul line. Instead we did what we did which is George Karl ball and it bit us in the ass.

If we get Cousins back in the paint where he should be at, he won't keep getting injured like this.

Of course he's talented, but driving/slicing to the hoop from the arc is not natural for a 7 footer! He's taking a lot of falls. He's turning his ankles a lot.

Until they stop this idiotic basketball, especially with Cousins, incredibly, we will risk than some extra losses and mad players.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think in an effort to play collison enough min to keep him happy it's really f'n everything up. It has not been successful all year yet every game there it is for like 20 min a game. Collison is not good off the ball and you never want rondo off the ball. So in a sense your offense struggles because then you essentially 3 players out of their position. You get Bellineli at SF and Rudy at PF. It doesn't work. It hasn't worked. Why does it keep happening?? Somebody please answer me that? Or at least prove me wrong I'd be happy if someone showed me where it worked. I'd rather me be the idiot than our head coach

Out of a timeout with the game on the line and the Kings on defense, Karl elects to go with Rondo/Collison/Belinelli/Gay/Casspi. That's all that needs to be said about this coaching situation. The guy has mailed it in. Just cashing a check at this point
Hopefully so; will make it easier to fire Karl if he really does want the check.

Wouldn't surprise me a lot given his health and huge failure of a coaching strategy.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think in an effort to play collison enough min to keep him happy it's really f'n everything up. It has not been successful all year yet every game there it is for like 20 min a game. Collison is not good off the ball and you never want rondo off the ball. So in a sense your offense struggles because then you essentially 3 players out of their position. You get Bellineli at SF and Rudy at PF. It doesn't work. It hasn't worked. Why does it keep happening?? Somebody please answer me that? Or at least prove me wrong I'd be happy if someone showed me where it worked. I'd rather me be the idiot than our head coach
Being in denial tends to mess with a man's ego.

I don't have anything constructive to add to this so I'm just going to pile on.. If we lose to the Bucks, we could be tied with the Lakers with 11 L's. This is fun!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This game was like the answer to the question: Can the Kings win if Cousins is injured for a quarter?

Kemba Walker continues to remind one of the FAB Jimmer trade. I think he's going to remind us of that trade for several years to come.

What a missed opportunity, no team fighting for the bottom playoff spots is playing particularly well right now. A win here gives us momentum going to Milwaukee and a home game vs Wolves to pull close to .500. Instead we are 5-10, Cuz is hurt again, the team is probably a mental wreck right now. Could get really bad, then again we were up 20+ on the road against a decent/good squad and stupid coaching continues to bite us in the butt. At what point is enough enough?

This game was like the answer to the question: Can the Kings win if Cousins is injured for a quarter?

Kemba Walker continues to remind one of the FAB Jimmer trade. I think he's going to remind us of that trade for several years to come.
Petrie could have thrown a dart blindfolded on a draft board with every first rounder in that draft and gotten a better player than Jimmer. Good Lord.

These are the names that went were available from 7 on.

Biyombo
Brandon Knight
Kemba
Klay
Alec Burks
both Morris twins
KHAWAI LEONARD
Vucevic
Shumpert
Tobias Harris
Faried
Montajiuenas
Mirotic
Reggie Jackson
Norris Cole
Cory Joseph
Jimmy Butler

Even some solid second rounders capped off by IT at 60.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Petrie could have thrown a dart blindfolded on a draft board with every first rounder in that draft and gotten a better player than Jimmer. Good Lord.

These are the names that went were available from 7 on.

Biyombo
Brandon Knight
Kemba
Klay
Alec Burks
both Morris twins
KHAWAI LEONARD
Vucevic
Shumpert
Tobias Harris
Faried
Montajiuenas
Mirotic
Reggie Jackson
Norris Cole
Cory Joseph
Jimmy Butler

Even some solid second rounders capped off by IT at 60.
You should of never brought that list up. That is super depressing to think about...wow.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Collison doesn't know what to do with Rondo on the floor. His use cannot be defended when it appears that Ben and Belinelli are finding their game. Heck, they may be better than Collison at this point. Well, maybe. ;)

We have an inherent advantage over every team in the league (bear with me) because we have Koufos who is looking very useful, Cousins and a defensive freak in WCS. We also have Rudy . That's a lot of interior strength and there is no need to ever have less than 2 bigs on the court at once.

Karl apparently sees no need for WCS because Koufos has been a bit of a surprise. It apparently doesn't dawn on him that you can play all three in some kind of rotation. So it seems to me. Why does he pull WCS? It's a huge mystery. Of course he will make rookie mistakes. He also will scare the hell out of those little people who shoot from beyond the arc when they find an active 7 footer out there with them. This may sound outlandish but maybe WCS would have had an effect on Kemba. I kinda doubt it but I would like to see that tried in the future. Put WCS on the hot hand. The only loss is on the offensive end but I have seen WCS shoot and he is a not awful. I think he will develop an offensive game. It is difficult to develop such sitting on the bench.

We hired Karl. At the time I supported it because any more time with Corbin might have left me terminally ill. I still have hopes he will wake up. It only requires parting the marriage of Collison and Rondo and developing a rotation of the three bigs. Let Rondo run the offense. Trust your vets to figure it out to a certain extent. Karl has developed a good perspective about the game. Now he is faced with either adjusting to a smash mouth team or having this be the last coaching gig he gets. I do not want him fired in mid season. I have many reasons.

Rudy had a great game. It's too bad some of you missed it.