Knicks Waive Samuel Dalembert

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Knicks also waived center Samuel Dalembert, a move that will save $3.8 million. In all, the moves to unload Shumpert, Smith and Dalembert will save the team more than $20 million in salary and luxury taxes.
(link)

I was thinking early this season that Waiters for Shumpert is the deal that the Cavs should make, and it looks like they were able to pull it off without giving up anything else of value. Samuel Dalembert was just waived by the Knicks as well. Seems like he might be a nice short-term fix to our backup center problems. That Cousins has played with him before and they played well together is a bonus.

Unless of course we are tanking and we don't want more wins...

I'm not sure if Cuz and Sammy get along....remember hearing how hard they went in practice to the point of hating each other..... although a lot of time has passed so you cant rule it out

From sports perspective... Would be nice. But he is known for his 'shaky' attidute. It could work out, the question is, if its a good idea now, with the atmosphere in the locker room already being an issue.

Cousins has always said that he plays better as a PF and we noticed this when he played next to Sammy...

but then again.. signing Sammy D might lead to wins, and that's not apart of the plan this year.

So, I wont hold my breath.

Cousins has always said that he plays better as a PF and we noticed this when he played next to Sammy...

but then again.. signing Sammy D might lead to wins, and that's not apart of the plan this year.

So, I wont hold my breath.
Cousins may think that, but I don't think it's true. We've seen Cousins play at PF on offense earlier this year where Malone made Cousins come up to the 3pt line and give his guard screens. Cousins played so far away from the basket that everyone including me was questioning why he was anywhere that far. I remember we started our 5-1 start with JT at PF, but we started experimenting with our offense a little bit.

I think Cousins went back to C a few games after that. Cousins playing 10ft away from the basket is great for any team except ours. If we get someone like Sammy D clogging underneath the basket as our C, it'll make Cousins much less effective.

Cousins will also always have to guard Cs. He can guard PFs, but he's not great at it. He was destroyed by Miles Plumlee.. and a few other PFs when he was guarding them.

I mentioned this a day or two ago when the rumor first came up.

As a bench center, he would be great. He can contribute for 15-20 mpg, even getting some offensive touches (certainly part of the reason he was pissed off in NYC). I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank, but I would certainly prefer to run out a bench frontcourt of Landry/Dalembert or Evans/Dalembert over Landry/Evans. Move JT back to fulltime starter and have a solid four big rotation.

I wonder whether he will clear waivers. Lakers could certainly use some height for their squad. Cavs might try to grab him with Varajao out as well.

Knicks are reportedly looking to move Calderon as well. He would increase shooting, ball handling and passing. Obviously not a good defender, but could pair with RayMac easily.

Knicks are reportedly looking to move Calderon as well. He would increase shooting, ball handling and passing. Obviously not a good defender, but could pair with RayMac easily.
I like him, but I don't feel like he's the type of player the FO is looking for. He'd be a huge upgrade over our back up PGs, but he's slow and a bad defender.

I like him, but I don't feel like he's the type of player the FO is looking for. He'd be a huge upgrade over our back up PGs, but he's slow and a bad defender.
Due to the recent events in the Kings world of sports, I have gone from looking for moves that make sense to looking at moves that sort-of-maybe-but-not make sense to prepare myself for the future of Kings fandom.

hrdboild

Staff member
I don't think Dalembert is washed up. I was at the Knicks game and the game changed noticeably whenever he was on the floor. He's not a factor on offense of course, but he's still a better shot blocker than anyone we have on the roster.

Due to the recent events in the Kings world of sports, I have gone from looking for moves that make sense to looking at moves that sort-of-maybe-but-not make sense to prepare myself for the future of Kings fandom.
I don't see any trades that will go down any time soon. There's a lot of teams hesitant to move any pieces right now. I think every team in the NBA is satisfied with their current roster, even Detroit. The sucky teams don't have anything to offer us this year. Boston is full of garbage(plus same fans who were upset at the value they got back for Rondo), Philly's GM won't give up anything on their roster unless it's for future 1st rounders, and the Knicks are sorry.

I wouldn't be opposed to Brandon Jennings though. But I don't know if he's on the market anymore. After Smith was traded, everyone mysteriously became A LOT better including Jennings. Brandon Knight is another player who I wouldn't be opposed to. Still very young, but I doubt he leaves MIL after their successful start this year. I wouldn't mind offering him somewhere along the lines of 8-11mpy.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Calderon was one of the first FA's the FO tried to get. They like him. Whether they could fit him in the salary structure is questionable.

I don't see any trades that will go down any time soon. There's a lot of teams hesitant to move any pieces right now. I think every team in the NBA is satisfied with their current roster, even Detroit. The sucky teams don't have anything to offer us this year. Boston is full of garbage(plus same fans who were upset at the value they got back for Rondo), Philly's GM won't give up anything on their roster unless it's for future 1st rounders, and the Knicks are sorry.

I wouldn't be opposed to Brandon Jennings though. But I don't know if he's on the market anymore. After Smith was traded, everyone mysteriously became A LOT better including Jennings. Brandon Knight is another player who I wouldn't be opposed to. Still very young, but I doubt he leaves MIL after their successful start this year. I wouldn't mind offering him somewhere along the lines of 8-11mpy.
Don't be fooled by the fools gold that is Brandon Jennings. The guy is awful and will never start for a successful team. Yeah he can get hot and put up 30+ on you ina heartbeat.

There's a reason why he ends up shooting sub 40% most years. That's because after that amazing game he puts up 2 or 3 awful games in a row.

Don't be fooled by the fools gold that is Brandon Jennings. The guy is awful and will never start for a successful team. Yeah he can get hot and put up 30+ on you ina heartbeat.

There's a reason why he ends up shooting sub 40% most years. That's because after that amazing game he puts up 2 or 3 awful games in a row.
If we get Jennings, he'd back up Collison.. But I think he's a decent PG that has been on terrible teams. Monta also looked like a terrible checker especially in Miluwake, but on a good Dallas team, he's a very good player.

If Jennings learns to take less shots with more consistency, I see no reason why he can't be a top PG in the NBA

God no.

This board has a weird obsession with Sammy D. Dude flat out is bad and there's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere the past 4 season, despite having the appearance of being able to be a good defensive player. He isn't and hasn't been for a long time.

hrdboild

Staff member
God no.

This board has a weird obsession with Sammy D. Dude flat out is bad and there's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere the past 4 season, despite having the appearance of being able to be a good defensive player. He isn't and hasn't been for a long time.
I don't think keeping tabs on former Kings is a weird obsession. I'm not saying Sam is a potential starter for us nor do I think we should sign him beyond this season. But for the last 47 games of the season, I think we could probably use a better backup C than our current options which are Reggie Evans, Carl Landry, and Ryan Hollins. Dalembert is at least the right size for the position and has a track record of playing solid defense.

Yes he's played on 5 different teams in the past 5 seasons, but he's also been right at the top of the list for Defensive Rating on all 5 of those teams -- tied for best on the team 3 of those years and second just behind Larry Sanders and Marcus Camby, respectively, in the other two. He's also top 10 in the league in block % this year and his current rate of 2.7 blocks per 36 minutes is right at his career average. We're all well aware he's a one-dimensional player. It just happens to be a dimension that we need right now.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't think keeping tabs on former Kings is a weird obsession. I'm not saying Sam is a potential starter for us nor do I think we should sign him beyond this season. But for the last 47 games of the season, I think we could probably use a better backup C than our current options which are Reggie Evans, Carl Landry, and Ryan Hollins. Dalembert is at least the right size for the position and has a track record of playing solid defense.

Yes he's played on 5 different teams in the past 5 seasons, but he's also been right at the top of the list for Defensive Rating on all 5 of those teams -- tied for best on the team 3 of those years and second just behind Larry Sanders and Marcus Camby, respectively, in the other two. He's also top 10 in the league in block % this year and his current rate of 2.7 blocks per 36 minutes is right at his career average. We're all well aware he's a one-dimensional player. It just happens to be a dimension that we need right now.
Thank you. Well put. Your last sentence nails it for us and let is also factor in that his contract would probably be cheap. We won't have and CAN'T have all stars at every position as we couldn't fit them under the salary cap. Constructing a great team involves filling the holes that exist and spending money wisely.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whiteside has been looking pretty good in Miami. It looks like the stint oversea has really help him learning how to play
6 points (on 3-3 including a nice alley oop from Cole) and 4 rebounds in 7 minutes in the first half. In 11 games with the Heat he's averaging about 4.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.55 blocks in 12.6 mpg. Not amazing numbers but honestly I thought Hassan was one of those guys that would never play in the NBA again. Enormous physical gifts but just didn't seem to have the desire or focus to harness them. His college game film showed a kid that was incredibly raw but with potential that every team could use so obviously something happened during draft workouts and/or interviews that caused him to tumble down draft boards.

Unfortunate because I remember thinking when the Kings selected him that if he were to ever put it all together he'd actually be a nice compliment to Boogie.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
6 points (on 3-3 including a nice alley oop from Cole) and 4 rebounds in 7 minutes in the first half. In 11 games with the Heat he's averaging about 4.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.55 blocks in 12.6 mpg. Not amazing numbers but honestly I thought Hassan was one of those guys that would never play in the NBA again. Enormous physical gifts but just didn't seem to have the desire or focus to harness them. His college game film showed a kid that was incredibly raw but with potential that every team could use so obviously something happened during draft workouts and/or interviews that caused him to tumble down draft boards.

Unfortunate because I remember thinking when the Kings selected him that if he were to ever put it all together he'd actually be a nice compliment to Boogie.
Purely by accident, through Twitter, I've traded e-mails with Hassan from time to time, and he's a good guy with a good attitude. As you said, he was blessed with enormous physical abilities, but not much in the way of developed skills. To his credit, he didn't give up and worked hard on his game. It looks like his hard work is starting to pay off. It took Hassan a couple of years to understand where he was, and what he needed to do. I wish him nothing but the best.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Dalembert for the remainder of the season as long as the cost is minor. However, I don't see Dalembert playing next to Cousins, but rather as Cousins backup. Right now we don't have a legitimate backup center. Sorry Ryan!