Ultimate Gift?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
DISCLAIMER: first things first, this is a thread for totally selfish wish fulfillment. If you want to talk about your selfless desires to make the world a better place, go start your own thread. :p

I mean it: forget about any of the 'big ticket' items (world peace, cure for cancer, feed the hungry, etc.), or things that can't physically happen (like bringing a loved one back from the dead), and focus on material possessions: suppose Daddy Warbucks offered to get you anything you want for Christmas, except for straight cash, with a value of up to a million dollars. What would you ask for?

RULES:

1. Whatever it is, you can't exchange it, or sell it. The only exception to the 'can't sell it' rule is real estate, but you'd be required to hold the property for no less than ten years.
  2. You can ask for more than one thing, but whatever dollar differential there is between what you ask for and the million is forfeit: you don't get to 'keep the change.'
  3. All transactions are final; if you think of something else, after the fact, you're ass out.
  4. While asking for straight cash is not allowed, asking, "Hey, Daddy Warbucks, how about paying off my house/student loans/bookie/hospital bills?" is acceptable. Asking him to pay off anyone else's bills, however, is not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Season tickets (4) right behind Vivek's seats for the rest of my life and a purple Cadillac (all expenses paid) with driver to get me there and back.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was about to ask if a million would cover that, but then I realized that 'rest of my life' is not a universal constant. :eek:

Seriously though, seats that close are terrible. Now, seats at half court, about ten rows up, on the other hand...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Came to the realization a year or so ago that the most value commodity I have is time. So if you'll allow it, I'd take an annual month-long all expense paid vacation with my son for the next 25 years.
Depends on your idea of 'all expenses paid.' If you can get twenty-five years worth of month-long vacations out of a million dollars, it's allowed.

Dream house for sure. Not sure where though or what a 'dream house' for me would actually entail.

Besides that, I would def go for VF's choice of Kings courtside season tickets. That or SF Giants season tickets behind home plate for life.

Hmmm. As I type this - I realize that tickets to every single WWE pay-per-view for life would also suffice. :p

I used to have access to center court courtside seats (Lukenbill era, they sat in the four over from us, off center). Face value $30.

Wonder how many seasons for $1million at today's prices.

A vacation home on the coast north of SanFrancisco between point Reyes Station and where Hwy 1 leaves the coast north of Fort Bragg. A million ought to cover it nicely. Such a gift to me would please a lot of people. Throw in a TV hookup that would allow me to watch Kings games live. Oh, and a lifetime subscription to a local clam chowder of choice. That's all. Thanks, Citrus Slim.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That's 40k apiece. I think I'll manage :)
Hey, "all expenses" means different things to different people. Thirty days, where everything's comp'd? That probably doesn't mean the same thing to me that it does to, say, Kanye West. I was just wondering whether you meant all expenses, or ALL expenses?

Hey, "all expenses" means different things to different people. Thirty days, where everything's comp'd? That probably doesn't mean the same thing to me that it does to, say, Kanye West. I was just wondering whether you meant all expenses, or ALL expenses?
Yeah, I'm not Kanye. And I come from pretty decent means, we've just never been flashy and my personal tastes have always been fairly low-brow. Like I said, I reached a point in life where time became my most valuable commodity. And I feel pretty blessed to have reached that conclusion at the relatively young age of 40.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah, I'm not Kanye. And I come from pretty decent means, we've just never been flashy and my personal tastes have always been fairly low-brow. Like I said, I reached a point in life where time became my most valuable commodity. And I feel pretty blessed to have reached that conclusion at the relatively young age of 40.
I ain't mad at cha. I wish I had it like that. Hell, I'd settle for liking my job.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Pay off my house, a couple bills/loans that we have, and do some home improvements. That would take about half. As I couldn't retire on a million or less and I can't take a month off at a time either, 25 years of 1-2-week vacations and two Kings season tix per year would be great. And I don't even really care if I am that close to the floor. I'd be happy with the middle-back of the lower level somewhere sideline. I'm not picky. Like pdx, I also am not a "big spender" on vacations. I really like his idea but need to take care of bills first!

A vacation home on the coast north of SanFrancisco between point Reyes Station and where Hwy 1 leaves the coast north of Fort Bragg. A million ought to cover it nicely. Such a gift to me would please a lot of people. Throw in a TV hookup that would allow me to watch Kings games live. Oh, and a lifetime subscription to a local clam chowder of choice. That's all. Thanks, Citrus Slim.
Real estate is tough to come by over there unless you want to love in Pt Reyes station. Either way its beautiful.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I need a place near Mendocino (I presume that's easier said then done) and need to travel. As I am already retired and my home is paid for, that's a lot of traveling. I have a neat Mercedes I'd like. Maybe a pair ; one for me and one for my wife. I don't need many creature comforts as somewhere along the line I sorted out what was important and what was not. Better set aside some money for college for my new granddaughter, Alice.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd love to have an apartment bought and paid off in Croatia so I always have a place to go and stay if I get sick of being in the states...and I do get sick of being here so I like to venture the world :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I need a place near Mendocino (I presume that's easier said then done) and need to travel. As I am already retired and my home is paid for, that's a lot of traveling. I have a neat Mercedes I'd like. Maybe a pair ; one for me and one for my wife. I don't need many creature comforts as somewhere along the line I sorted out what was important and what was not. Better set aside some money for college for my new granddaughter, Alice.
Congratulations Grandpa. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Going to have to disallow this last part under Rule #4: Can't give the money to somebody else.

This is so Austin Powers... One million dollars? Unfortunately, it wouldn't even pay for the marginal triplex I'm living in in Redwood City. Maybe a good downpayment on a beach house in Santa Cruz. I could probably rent it out until I got a job down there. Yeah, I'm very practical