Josh Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will probably never happen but instead of Smith... Why not reach and go for Drummond? The Pistons are falling apart you never know if you don't try. Drummond would solve many problems here. Good shot blocker good rebounder and good enough to feed in the post when Cousins takes a seat. His averages and minutes are down from last year. If the Pistons don't want him then I would certainly take every opportunity to try and pry him loose.

That brings me to this which sort of puts a heavy damper on that possibility. What do the Pistons want that we can provide? JT obviously but def not Ben seeing as they have Caldwell Pope who isn't very good but still. D-will as an expiring? We have limited players we can send.

K

KingMilz

This will probably never happen but instead of Smith... Why not reach and go for Drummond? The Pistons are falling apart you never know if you don't try. Drummond would solve many problems here. Good shot blocker good rebounder and good enough to feed in the post when Cousins takes a seat. His averages and minutes are down from last year. If the Pistons don't want him then I would certainly take every opportunity to try and pry him loose.

That brings me to this which sort of puts a heavy damper on that possibility. What do the Pistons want that we can provide? JT obviously but def not Ben seeing as they have Caldwell Pope who isn't very good but still. D-will as an expiring? We have limited players we can send.
He's literally worse than Reggie Evans in the post and his shot blocking is not even better than Cousins he's got crap timing and jumps for no reason all the time. He can rebound and dunk and that's his entire skill-set he's got nothing else. I would take a chance on him but no way could you feed that guy in the post unless your trying to lose.

There is also zero chance they give up on him, he's got potential but it's developing really slow atm probably due to playing with Jennings and Smith.

He's literally worse than Reggie Evans in the post and his shot blocking is not even better than Cousins he's got crap timing and jumps for no reason all the time. He can rebound and dunk and that's his entire skill-set he's got nothing else. I would take a chance on him but no way could you feed that guy in the post unless your trying to lose.

There is also zero chance they give up on him, he's got potential but it's developing really slow atm probably due to playing with Jennings and Smith.
I sincerely doubt his post game is worse than Reggie Evan's post game. He may not be brilliant but we don't need him to be. He's young and if Detroit would be willing I would take a chance on him. He has played only on bad teams since entering the league and now plays with two selfish chuckers in Jennings and Smith. He may need a change of scenery. He averaged over 13 points and 13 rebounds a game last season. Idk how you can equate that to Reggie Evan's offense.

K

KingMilz

I sincerely doubt his post game is worse than Reggie Evan's post game. He may not be brilliant but we don't need him to be. He's young and if Detroit would be willing I would take a chance on him. He has played only on bad teams since entering the league and now plays with two selfish chuckers in Jennings and Smith. He may need a change of scenery. He averaged over 13 points and 13 rebounds a game last season. Idk how you can equate that to Reggie Evan's offense.
He airballs hooks on the regular, Reggie if give 30 mins could average 8-10 and 13 boards.

K

KingMilz

He's a career .600 from the field. He's having his worst season ever. The only thing that really worries me is his FT percentage.
He's 60% cause he had Will Bynum throwing him lobs since the start of his career and all his points come on putback dunks/spoon feeds, this season they started posting him up and his FG% plummeted like no other.

He's 60% cause he had Will Bynum throwing him lobs since the start of his career and all his points come on putback dunks/spoon feeds, this season they started posting him up and his FG% plummeted like no other.
I haven't watched a single Pistons game this year so I have no way of knowing if you are correct or not.

I haven't watched a single Pistons game this year so I have no way of knowing if you are correct or not.
I'm in the Detroit area and andremiller07 is right. Think Deandre Jordan when you think of Drummond. He's a high energy player who can catch lobs and rebound like a mofo, but 0 offensive ability. Not as good of a shot blocker as DJ either, and probably not as athletic.

I'm in the Detroit area and andremiller07 is right. Think Deandre Jordan when you think of Drummond. He's a high energy player who can catch lobs and rebound like a mofo, but 0 offensive ability. Not as good of a shot blocker as DJ either, and probably not as athletic.
How was he last year? Was he just getting spoonfed most of the time? He's shooting .400 from the field and that's pretty horrible

How was he last year? Was he just getting spoonfed most of the time? He's shooting .400 from the field and that's pretty horrible
He was spoon fed. Can't create any offense for himself. SVG is trying to recreate his Orlando team with Drummond as the new Dwight, but Drummond is nowhere near where Howard was in Orlando. This explains his lower FG%. It's a lot harder to make hook shots with a defender in your face than catch an open lob and throw it down.

The entire conversation of Drummond to Sac is irrelevant, though. I can't see Detroit parting ways with him. They've seemed to make it clear that their future hinges on the success of Andre Drummond.

Alot has changed regarding this from the start of the season now that we are winning. It is vital that we find the right running mate for boogie inside without disrupting our upswing in performance. A defensive presence is vital. Smith fits the bill somewhat but he does come at a cost and risk. I think the dynamic has changed from 'lets get him and see what happens' to 'lets sit and wait now we're winning,' i dont see many other options league wide that are as do'able as us getting smith and with JT doing ok in his duties as PF i can see us taking a wait and see approach hoping detroit fall apart further and we can get smith for peanuts if we still want him.

How about another guy on the Pistons. Joel Anthony anybody? I know he's really bad on the offensive end, but any shot blocker who young and worthwhile, the Kings probably can't get because they don't have the assets or would have to take on a bad contract in return.

How about another guy on the Pistons. Joel Anthony anybody? I know he's really bad on the offensive end, but any shot blocker who young and worthwhile, the Kings probably can't get because they don't have the assets or would have to take on a bad contract in return.
Anthony would be acceptable as a bench big, but we are trying to find a good starting PF. Joel Anthony is kind of like Evans, in that he is good at shot blocking, but not really good at anything else (decent rebounder), especially on the offensive end. We need a PF who at the very least needs to be respected on the offensive end so that the opposing team can't cheat off of them and go double Cousins. If they double Cousins, then we need that PF to be able to punish them for doing so, and Joel Anthony is not able to do that. Smith is close to ideal, but as everyone has pointed out, is he willing to play team ball? Smith has been throwing up junk with the Pistons that make his later years at Atlanta look passive, although to be fair he has dialed it back this season. Detroit is horrible and if they are willing to play ball, I would go for it.

I would have jumped at Smith two years ago. At this point, no. The athleticism is dwindling and he doesn't have the size or fundamentals to be effective once that goes.

Really, outside of an Ibaka or Taj Gibson, there are no real obvious running mates for Cousins. JT is playing an essential role right now and is part of the chemistry of the starting five.

I would much rather get an actual backup center to hold down the fort on defense while Cousins sits. That is the team's biggest weakness at present.

I would have jumped at Smith two years ago. At this point, no. The athleticism is dwindling and he doesn't have the size or fundamentals to be effective once that goes.

Really, outside of an Ibaka or Taj Gibson, there are no real obvious running mates for Cousins. JT is playing an essential role right now and is part of the chemistry of the starting five.

I would much rather get an actual backup center to hold down the fort on defense while Cousins sits. That is the team's biggest weakness at present.
Well I would add Horford to the list of players which would be close to ideal to pair with Cuz. That said your right about Smith imo simply no reason to gamble on him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It sounds like Detroit feels somewhat of an urgency to unload Smith and the team mentioned as a trading partner is us. He is under performing and is a pain in the rear. He also has a hefty salary. I haven't followed this discussion but I would play hard ball to get him. I would not give up someone I see as part of our future. I think Detroit is that desperate AND if his stats are a sign of what we could expect, he is a risk.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/...-should-strongly-consider-trading-josh-smith/

One article mentioned the Kings but I can't find it at the moment.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What would it take to match his salary?
$13 mil a year for the next 3 years. I wouldn't do it. There is no guarantee he would turn out OK and there is a possibility he would hurt us. We are doing fine right now. We need a rim protector and I think I would wait for one to appear on the market. If I'm going to make a mistake, let the mistake be 7 ft tall. :)

It's a huge bet, because if you trade for him, that's your roster for the next 2 years. There will be only MLE left, and...just noticed Jodie Meeks has MLE-level contract. That's your type of improvement for next couple of years...or Carl Landry. At this point absolutely not worth it. Detroit wants him out? They will have to pay, and heavily at that.

He is shooting horrendously but averaging 4apg and only 1.4 3 pointers. I trust malone will know how to putt him in winning positions. Getting him frees up DMC too, teams can't just leave him alone he can somewhat stretch the floor but more importantly he can cut and finish at the rim with the best of them. Also back to playing PF and being surrounded by defensive players/ coach he can go back to his elite defense days in ATl. This trade will allow JT to be our 3rd big which makes him better and us bigger. I'd do DWill/landry for smith.

K

KingMilz

If he was willing to be a 6th man I would do it, but JSmoove does not seem to be that guy, that is ever willing to do such a thing. In the West we are going to need JT against a lot of teams and he will be starting cause of that.

we have one of the best starting lineups in the nba right now according to http://stats.nba.com/league/lineups/#!/?sort=GP&dir=1&PerMode=Per100Possessions. no need to try to send anyone to the bench.
You are 100% right We need trades that improve the bench that's how raptors took the next level. Our starters are better than there's but they have a bench if we can get one we will be a top 7 team in the west.

Trades like Nik/DWill/ray for mayo/Henson- green/bass
Afflalo/Hickson - T.Young/brewer

These trade build up our bench with vets that can score. Add any of those combos to casspi/landry would make our 2nd unit very good. I would personally try for a Nik/DWill/landry for
Kevin Martin/T.Young giving us lethal scoring off the bench.

You are 100% right We need trades that improve the bench that's how raptors took the next level. Our starters are better than there's but they have a bench if we can get one we will be a top 7 team in the west.

Trades like Nik/DWill/ray for mayo/Henson- green/bass
Afflalo/Hickson - T.Young/brewer

These trade build up our bench with vets that can score. Add any of those combos to casspi/landry would make our 2nd unit very good. I would personally try for a Nik/DWill/landry for
Kevin Martin/T.Young giving us lethal scoring off the bench.
What about a trade like this?
Sessions/DWill for
A. Bargnani/P. Prigioni. Bargs has an ending 11mpy contract, and he's currently injured. Prigioni would give us the great back up PG we need and good 3pt shooting.

What about a trade like this?
Sessions/DWill for
A. Bargnani/P. Prigioni. Bargs has an ending 11mpy contract, and he's currently injured. Prigioni would give us the great back up PG we need and good 3pt shooting.
I love this one.

Sounds REALLY great for us.

(And no, I'm not Italian...:))

Status
Not open for further replies.