• McLemore

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Landry

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • er...um...Gay

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's loyal about Ray getting starts down the stretch last season, played poorly then elevated his play, had some big games, proved he can play at this level on both ends of the floor, then gets replaced by a journeyman backup PG who's played worse than any PG we've had in years?

Wouldn't the loyalty and the lack there of actually apply to Ray?
Well, even though we all think Ray may soon surpass Sessions in terms of ability, Sessions has a body of work of years of quality play. This is an aberration for him. We signed him to play back up, and we're going to give him more than six games to lose his spot. Sessions isn't this bad. He's played much better in other places. That says to me it's more of a mental thing and about fit, both his teammates getting used to him and vice versa. You give a guy like that more than six games. Maybe not a quarter of a season, but more than six games.

Guys need to know that if they hit a bad spell mentally, that they won't immediately lose their spot forever. No one likes to play under those conditions. At a certain point, it will be obvious to everyone that a change is needed. At that point you haven't lost anybody mentally, and you haven't created a fear in other players that a six game slump will pin them to the bench and ruin their careers.

Sessions will accept his demotion with no hidden resentment only after a reasonable period of giving him a chance. I doubt when they signed him they said "we'd like to pay you to just sit at the end of the bench in case of injury". And that's effectively what might happen if Ray passes him in the rotation. You just don't treat a vet like that. You show him some loyalty, and if it's clear to everybody that Ray is better for the team, a good man will acquiesce.

Last edited:
That was a hard worked W, but a W nevertheless. I think one of the great lessons of this W was for the team that you fight to the buzzer. Many teams with less character would have let it go, but the Kings just refused to go down. Love it. Rudy had a bad night and he knows it. That happens in basketball and there's nothing to be worried about. He'll come back. My roses this time go to Ben McLemore. He's had an uphill ride so far, but he just keep coming back. As I said, by the end the regular season he'll be great.

Well, even though we all think Ray may soon surpass Sessions in terms of ability, Sessions has a body of work of years quality play. This is an aberration for him. We signed him to play back up, and we're going to give him more than six games to lose his spot. Sessions isn't this bad. He's played much better in other places. That says to me it's more of a mental thing and about fit, both his teammates getting used to him and vice versa. You give a guy like that more than six games. Maybe not a quarter of a season, but more than six games.

Guys need to know that if they hit a bad spell mentally, that they won't immediately lose their spot forever. No one likes to play under those conditions. At a certain point, it will be obvious to everyone that a change is needed. At that point you haven't lost anybody mentally, and you haven't created a fear in other players that a six game slump will pin them to the bench and ruin their careers.
kind of unrelated but hornachek has been unhappy with IT and didnt really take too long to bench IT (or significantly reduce his role). IT has a body of work in this league and leads the team in scoring but hornachek quickly noticed his play hurting the team and yanked him. Although you make a great point on how it looks to the other players if he gets pulled early it also effects the other guys when they see a coach showing hesitation towards benching a guy who is obviously holding the team back with his play.

Maybe ramon shouldnt be benched completely and forgotten yet but in my opinion at this point Ray should definately be getting some of the backup PG minutes.

I think props should be given to the Coach for keeping Ben in the game at a time where the entire league would have wanted to pull him and put in stauskus or casspi. Ballsy move by Malone and the kid delivered. The last 2 games may be the foundation of confidence he needs. Last game he was not shooting well but the team made a point to keep feeding him from time as if to say it will come...keep ur head up and keep shooting. We got ur back.

Last year I am sure IT was a huge part of his confidence issues. He didnt want this kid to develop and take his shots so he consistently froze him out of the offense. I wouldnt be surprised if he was deriding him in the locker room either. With the new attitude amongst the team, I think ur seeing a band of brothers mentality,where they have each others' backs instead of a wolfpack mentality like last year where it seemed like mclemore was the omega. Great leadership from coach, cuz, and gay with solid veteran presence from landry and collison and even omri. Everyone is buying inro the system and its looking great.

Beautifully stated and sums up a number of points I've been trying to make. So obviously I agree. :)

Watching sportscenter just now,

20 minutes discussing the Cavs game

30 seconds discussing the Kings 2 OT game :/ im so sick of LeDouche and his lame Cavs team
Well when we have a a player who has four MVP awards, two rings, etc, etc, and two other star/superstar level talents, then don't complain when they're spending 20 minutes talking about us. #PersecutionComplex

Notes:

-Sessions needs to stop playing like a scrub
I agree.

I am one of those who believe Sessions is a very good player and I actually believe he is good enough to be starting at times for our team. But the way he is playing I don't think he buys into what the team is trying to accomplish. I think he thinks we are still a team consisting of scrub players and that he does not need to upped his level of play. It seems like for him it is a waste of time to give his utmost effort to hustle, defend, take very good care of the ball, and be a very good facilitator, because this team is not going to go that far anyways.

To Mr. Sessions:
When you got signed, almost every fan thought you were a good signing. You better lit a light under your butt boy and give your all-out effort for this team every single game. Honestly, it is true that you are playing like a scrub right now because when everyone was at 3rd level of play (and on WIN mode) you were still coasting at the 1st level. You better play your a** out the moment you first step on the court, otherwise you'll see yourself sooner at the end of the bench pouting/cheering with DWill.

Last edited:
kind of unrelated but hornachek has been unhappy with IT and didnt really take too long to bench IT (or significantly reduce his role). IT has a body of work in this league and leads the team in scoring but hornachek quickly noticed his play hurting the team and yanked him. Although you make a great point on how it looks to the other players if he gets pulled early it also effects the other guys when they see a coach showing hesitation towards benching a guy who is obviously holding the team back with his play.

Maybe ramon shouldnt be benched completely and forgotten yet but in my opinion at this point Ray should definately be getting some of the backup PG minutes.
I completely agree, and it requires a fine touch and intimate knowledge and feel for the situation that none of us can possibly have. All of our previous coaches, except for Adelman, I think weren't quite sophisticated enough to play that tune. As I stated before, I'm kind of rooting for Ray Mac, but I don't want to lose Sessions as a player, and I want him to have the opportunity to play his way into form, if possible.

I agree.

I am one of those who believe Sessions is a very good player and I actually believe he is good enough to be starting at times for our team. But the way he is playing I don't think he buys into what the team is trying to accomplish. I think he thinks we are still a team consisting of scrub players and that he does not need to upped his level of play. It seems like for him it is a waste of time to give his utmost effort to hustle, defend, take very good care of the ball, and be a very good facilitator, because this team is not going to go that far anyways.

To Mr. Sessions:
When you got signed, almost every fan thought you were a good signing. You better lit a light under your butt boy and give your all-out effort for this team every single game. Honestly, it is true that you are playing like a scrub right now because when everyone is at 3rd level of play (and on WIN mode) you are still coasting at the 1st level. You better play your a** out or you'll see yourself sooner at the end of the bench pouting/cheering with DWill.
I really don't see it being a lack of effort.

Wow. Just wow. But what's up with Jerry? I could swear that he kept saying BledSAW and DERRICK Collison. And every single person who made a shot was "shooting with confidence." Either his dentures were loose, or he's had a stroke. Would love to see if Katie can do the color...

I really don't see it being a lack of effort.
What is it then, bad spell mentally?

Well, he is supposedly to be a steadying veteran. He better hurry-up solving whatever it is that is bugging him, because one of these games he is going to costs us a BIG loss that might turn this team in about-face. That is what I am worried about. One big loss and the team might revert back to it's old losing ways. He might be contagious too if you know what I mean.

What is it then, bad spell mentally?

Well, he is supposedly to be a steadying veteran. He better hurry-up solving whatever it is that is bugging him, because one of these games he is going to costs us a BIG loss that might turn this team in about-face. That is what I am worried about. One big loss and the team might revert back to it's old losing ways. He might be contagious too if you know what I mean.
You might be a tad paranoid.

What we're building cannot be turned around about face by one guy flubbing in a crucial moment.

I think you might be missing my point. Good teams have each other's backs. They pick each other up. They root for their teammates and they don't turn on them if they make mistakes. If his effort was ever in question, he'd never have earned the backup spot to begin with. Have you no faith in Malone at all?

And I don't know what it is. Players have slumps. There also may be an adjustment period. My point is that we can't know that exactly.

I guess I just come at it mostly from my experience of playing sports. I always played on teams where teammates supported each other. I had good coaches that created that kind of environment. So I think I may have an inkling of what Malone might be trying to create. Boogie seems to be on board with that too. If it's any other way, chemistry goes down the tubes fast. That's what I would be afraid of. If maintaining team chemistry costs you a game here and there, it will save you more than that always. See tonight's example in Benny Mac, who literally saved the game for us with a clutch three. If coach hadn't shown faith in him or even pulled him, we lose this game. Don't just only look at the risks.

Last edited:
You might be a tad paranoid.

What we're building cannot be turned around about face by one guy flubbing in a crucial moment.

I think you might be missing my point. Good teams have each other's backs. They pick each other up. They root for their teammates and they don't turn on them if they make mistakes. If his effort was ever in question, he'd never have earned the backup spot to begin with. Have you no faith in Malone at all?

And I don't know what it is. Players have slumps. There also may be an adjustment period. My point is that we can't know that exactly.

I guess I just come at it mostly from my experience of playing sports. I always played on teams where teammates supported each other. I had good coaches that created that kind of environment. So I think I may have an inkling of what Malone might be trying to create. Boogie seems to be on board with that too. If it's any other way, chemistry goes down the tubes fast. That's what I would be afraid of. If maintaining team chemistry costs you a game here and there, it will save you more than that always. See tonight's example in Benny Mac, who literally saved the game for us with a clutch three. If coach hadn't shown faith in him or even pulled him, we lose this game. Don't just only look at the risks.
I agree we're a good team and good teams have each other's back. But we are not that veteran "good team" like say the Spurs who can lose 1-2 games in a row and come back inspired into playing as a good team. If I am not mistaken, this is the first time this team and their coach had ever experienced being this good.

One costly loss followed by another can derail this very good start.

And at the expense of backing-up one to two players who are clearly not ready to step up their game?

I agree we're a good team and good teams have each other's back. But we are not that veteran "good team" like say the Spurs who can lose 1-2 games in a row and come back inspired into playing as a good team. If I am not mistaken, this is the first time this team and their coach had ever experienced being this good.

One costly loss followed by another can derail this very good start.

And at the expense of backing-up one to two players who are clearly not ready to step up their game?
I guess I just see it differently. I see the way to being the type of team that isn't so shaky that a two or three game slide ruins the whole season or destroys all good habits is to have players and coaches that support each other through slumps. We can argue about the right time to pull a guy going through a bad stretch (and there is one, for sure), but it's the principle that I'm emphasizing here.

We're not just riding momentum here. We're building something solid. At some point, you have to learn how to take a few knocks.

What's loyal about Ray getting starts down the stretch last season, played poorly then elevated his play, had some big games, proved he can play at this level on both ends of the floor, then gets replaced by a journeyman backup PG who's played worse than any PG we've had in years?

Wouldn't the loyalty and the lack there of actually apply to Ray?
The good thing for Sessions is that there are 76 games for him to turn it around. He has a track record in this league, so it's way too early to give up on him now.

Obviously the FO wanted a backup plan in case Ray fizzled or didn't want to rush him out there. Don't you think it would have been imprudent to have no backup to Ray if everything he did last year was a mirage? Also, signing Sessions gave the team another player who can break down the defense through penetration, something Ray can't do.

We're not just riding momentum here. We're building something solid. At some point, you have to learn how to take a few knocks.
Very good point.

I guess I am just not ready to take that few knocks this early for the sake of team building. I also believe we have to keep winning at all costs and maintain that momentum we've built, so we can solidify our winning identity as early as possible.

Off topic, but I actually read a quote this week from Flip Saunders saying they lost the WCF that year to LA because of that very dance.
IIRC, they lost in the WCF to one of the biggest rook jobs ever by refs (rivalling ours in 2002, and the Dwayne Wade Finals in 2006).

yeah, have to keep that celebration a bit muted though -- he just lost his grandfather and had just got back from the funeral. Didn't really appear into this the way you might think.
Marcus Thornton was never quite the same after he lost his grandma too, I believe. =/

Sports and competitiveness and drama should never supercede respect for one's family.

The game was still crazy though. I had a feeling the key to the Suns beating us would involve playing to their strengths without IT on the floor. We got scorched for most of this game.

It was amazing that we won. I was wondering where the movement was on offence most of the game. Cousins looked tired and one time he left the team 5 on 4 while he took his time getting back down the floor. Every time the Kings would get close, they would be down by 7 or 8 in a hurry. But wow, they clamped down on D in the 4th quarter when it counted. Then Cousins fouled out on what I thought where 3 questionable calls in a row on him. I thought that we where done really. But we win in double overtime. The Kings NEVER win in OT. What a TEAM effort all the way. I'm proud to be a Kings fan! Really well earned road win!

I'm actually pretty happy that our team has not been perfect so far. Sessions is struggling, Ben and Nick are not shooting well, they still can't play good D for the whole 48 mins and so on. It shows we have room for improvement, and that we are not getting these wins just because they are playing out of their minds. To me, these wins look like solid wins, and the Kings are playing a style of basketball that can be mantained. Jump shooting teams depend too much on their percentages, and I'm glad the Kings look like a tough team that beats everybody inside.