Josh Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Of note, after saying they weren't going to do it anymore, today Josh Smith started at SF for them again. Oy vey.
If they really want a tweener who can start at SF and isn't already on Monroe's bad side...I think we can do that for them. A one-year deal, even. They can have Landry to boot for some added bench scoring.

They won't want Landry it will be JT/Ben/DWill expiring. I'm pretty sure malone can get smith to stop the 3s and if he buys into the motion offense we got 2 bigs who a very good passers.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I would be strongly against including Ben in a trade for Josh Smith. JSmoove is an undesirable contract right now without a clearly defined role on his current team. Of course we'll have to send Detroit something they can use but that's expiring contracts and a serviceable veteran not a young talent barely into his second season. They'll ask of course, but we can steer that conversation in a different direction. McCallum or Sessions possibly if they need a sweetener. It's a tough situation for Detroit, if Smith continues to tank his value there aren't a lot of possible destinations out there. I think they'll flinch first.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would definitely agree with that. I'm not against trading McLemore but absolutely no reason to throw him in for Smith. The approach for Josh Smith should be the same as for Rudy Gay. If the Kings think they could get significantly more production out of him in their system then they wait until Detroit is ready to have a fire sale on him. Because Sacramento will likely never attract top tier free agents he's the type of reclamation project that the Kings can and maybe should gamble on - an overpaid vet who would benefit from a change of scenery and different role that caters more to his strengths and covers more of his weaknesses. But Smith only really represents good value if he can be acquired without giving up anything of value beyond an ending contract(s) and/or players not in the team's long term future.

This was my same thinking about Larry Sanders. If you are simply giving Milwaukee a way to move a toxic player/contract then you look at it. If they are asking for real assets in return then you say no thanks.

Derrick Williams and Carl Landry for Smith works under the CBA. I'd absolutely do that deal. But I don't see any reason to give Detroit any other assets for a guy that may cost them the player they really want and need to keep in Monroe. Besides, even with Meeks going down, the Pistons have Caldwell-Pope as the young SG they want to groom.

I really don't want Smith unless it's the 2010 Josh Smith. I feel like if we brought in Smith, Malone would want him to take the 3s because it would space out the floor for Cuz. If we did acquire Smith, I wouldn't want him to play any further than 14ft from the basket. He's a great PF, but seeing him take jumpshots and 3s will make me screech

hrdboild

Staff member
I really don't want Smith unless it's the 2010 Josh Smith. I feel like if we brought in Smith, Malone would want him to take the 3s because it would space out the floor for Cuz. If we did acquire Smith, I wouldn't want him to play any further than 14ft from the basket. He's a great PF, but seeing him take jumpshots and 3s will make me screech
If our advanced stats gurus can't figure out that Josh Smith shouldn't be shooting threes then they're completely worthless. In principle though, I would agree with this. If Smith comes in and continues chucking we're going to be worse as a team, not better. It's PF or nothing for him.

Believe it or not, taking 3's as a stretch 4 is completely different than taking them as a SF and most importantly it has completely different effects on opposing defenses.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Since we aren't and shouldn't throw in Ben to attain Smith, what are the odds that Ray gets thrown in there now with him playing 3rd PG? or do they plan to groom him as well behind Sessions and Collison because both of them aren't on long term deals and hope Ray becomes a contributor down the road...

You guys are taking his contract to much. With the cap going up it won't be that big of a deal. Smith has averaged 3apg that great passing at PF if Malone got Gay to change his game he can get smith to stop the 3s

hrdboild

Staff member
Believe it or not, taking 3's as a stretch 4 is completely different than taking them as a SF and most importantly it has completely different effects on opposing defenses.
I think this is a valid point. But it could also be said that taking and missing 3's in large volume hurts your team regardless of which position you're playing on the floor.

K

KingMilz

After watching J-Smoove this preseason he continues to take long range shots and I just don't think him and Gay on the team team will ever be a good thing, neither is ever going to change there game and it will just be back to low IQ basketball all over again. I like what Smith (@PF not SF) can do on the floor more than Gay but yeah unless we are swapping the two and we are getting rid of Carl Landry in the deal no thanks. Maybe get a three way deal going with the Bucks as well and try snare Middleton as well that would be sweet but very unlikely.

Detroit is looking like crap so far. Keep your eye on this, I think talks will heat up soon.
I HOPE NOT. Part of the reason why they're looking like crap is because of Josh Smith. Do not want.. do not want.. do not want.. especially if he's continuing to play like this. nooooo

This is similar to the Rudy situation in Toronto, though.
Not really. Smith cannot be changed.. he's always been known for chucking. If we put Gay, Cuz, and Smith together, they'll combine for 95% of our shots. I don't want Smith here.. Faried said that Smith shot his team out of the game.. everyone has been saying for the LONGEST time that Smith shoots too damn much.. he took it personal this time.. and responded very stupidly.

This team is completely different than Detroit. Here there is a good possibility Smith can be used much the same way he was in his best years in Atlanta. There are two Josh Smiths, just like there are two Rudy Gays and which one you get depends entirely on how you use them. Offensively Cousins and Horford are more similar than Horford and Drummond so that right there is a big part of it. Now is the part where you offer JT and Williams and let Detroit know this is their last chance to put themselves out of their misery.

This team is completely different than Detroit. Here there is a good possibility Smith can be used much the same way he was in his best years in Atlanta. There are two Josh Smiths, just like there are two Rudy Gays and which one you get depends entirely on how you use them. Offensively Cousins and Horford are more similar than Horford and Drummond so that right there is a big part of it. Now is the part where you offer JT and Williams and let Detroit know this is their last chance to put themselves out of their misery.
No way man.......... Even if we put Smith at PF, he'll still be chucking 3s. I just don't see how he can help this team with his iso plays and inefficient scoring. We do need defense, but are we willing to go down steep for Smith? I think I'd rather see how our roster plays out for the half season before deciding on Josh Smith

Just be patient guys Hibbert will be available soon guaranteed. McGee should be available too but they won't want Ben they have plenty SG. Maybe DWill/JT/ray but either way our defense will sky rocket with either guy next to Boogie whose protecting the rim quiete well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Just be patient guys Hibbert will be available soon guaranteed. McGee should be available too but they won't want Ben they have plenty SG. Maybe DWill/JT/ray but either way our defense will sky rocket with either guy next to Boogie whose protecting the rim quiete well.
McGee blocks shots but isn't actually all that "good" at defense.

No way man.......... Even if we put Smith at PF, he'll still be chucking 3s. I just don't see how he can help this team with his iso plays and inefficient scoring. We do need defense, but are we willing to go down steep for Smith? I think I'd rather see how our roster plays out for the half season before deciding on Josh Smith
You have to realize that if you can get somebody like Smith for what the Kings would be realistically giving up you have to at least think about it. The only bad thing is if the Kings were wanting cap space but if they expect to re-sign Gay there won't be any space anyway. Smith wouldn't be throwing up 3's all game if he were here. He's averaging a whopping 2.5 so far this year. That's not going to kill your team and you have to remember what he's replacing. There is no way he isn't an upgrade and potentially a Rudy Gay type of upgrade over Jason Thompson. Here he'd probably go from that 19 shots a game back down his career area of 12-13. If this team were relying on cap space moving forward it would be one thing but I think it would be a gamble worth taking.

You have to realize that if you can get somebody like Smith for what the Kings would be realistically giving up you have to at least think about it. The only bad thing is if the Kings were wanting cap space but if they expect to re-sign Gay there won't be any space anyway. Smith wouldn't be throwing up 3's all game if he were here. He's averaging a whopping 2.5 so far this year. That's not going to kill your team and you have to remember what he's replacing. There is no way he isn't an upgrade and potentially a Rudy Gay type of upgrade over Jason Thompson. Here he'd probably go from that 19 shots a game back down his career area of 12-13. If this team were relying on cap space moving forward it would be one thing but I think it would be a gamble worth taking.
You're right the absolute only way we should get him if it's for JT/dbust/ray. There not tuching Ben.

I've changed my mind I want Smith here these first 3 games have given me confidence. If Smith can go back to his ATl playing days we could make the playoffs if we keep up the defense and sharing. I believe DMC/Gay can have an impact on him cause those are players he can respect. He would be the 3rd option here he would recive less attention from the defense and would get between 12-15 shots. Malone can keep him to shoot from 15-21ft and post up like he does Gay. Smith would also get time with our 2nd unite making us better if we could get smith in here by mid-December we can make a push for the 8 seed.

K

KingMilz

I
I've changed my mind I want Smith here these first 3 games have given me confidence. If Smith can go back to his ATl playing days we could make the playoffs if we keep up the defense and sharing. I believe DMC/Gay can have an impact on him cause those are players he can respect. He would be the 3rd option here he would recive less attention from the defense and would get between 12-15 shots. Malone can keep him to shoot from 15-21ft and post up like he does Gay. Smith would also get time with our 2nd unite making us better if we could get smith in here by mid-December we can make a push for the 8 seed.
I have watched two of Detroit's games and he's still chucking those mid range/long two's non stop, I mean Kennath Faried even said in the post game interview that the Nuggets game plan was to let Smith shoot cause he sucks at it

Asked in a video for the team website about the keys to Denver's 89-79 victory against Detroit on opening night, Faried explained, "Josh Smith. We let him keep shooting, and he ended up with 25, but he still kept shooting. He shot them out of the game."
Not a good sign

I

I have watched two of Detroit's games and he's still chucking those mid range/long two's non stop, I mean Kennath Faried even said in the post game interview that the Nuggets game plan was to let Smith shoot cause he sucks at it

Not a good sign
Ya that's the scary thing but I'm banking on Malone who earned cousins trust and the leadership of cousins/gay to put him in place. I mean if we can get him for JT/DWill/Ray you're talking about a 17-7-3 with good defense for that package. Imagine how much better our top 2 guys get with a PD that has to be respected.

K

KingMilz

Ya that's the scary thing but I'm banking on Malone who earned cousins trust and the leadership of cousins/gay to put him in place. I mean if we can get him for JT/DWill/Ray you're talking about a 17-7-3 with good defense for that package. Imagine how much better our top 2 guys get with a PD that has to be respected.
There are rumors DJ Augsinte is about to take the starting PG spot from Jennings (Jennings is not happy about this) so Detroit will probably be looking to move both him and Smith in the near future, it's a interesting one. If it was Landry/Dwill/Ray it's a no brainer, but I don't know JT has impressed so far and we need a back up C/big PF.

its all about buying into the system. Id expect a honeymoon period but the key would be Demarcus, Rudy and Malone sitting him down and breaking down the offense as well as the defensive structures. If that is weak who knows how it'll turn out. The key is we have to be somewhat heavy handed and get him to buy into the system. Its vital we get it downpact ourselves prior to making any moves. Hard to sell a player on a system when yours still buying into it yourself.

We embrace now, get the wins and build confidence and good habits then make a trade like this to push us into the playoffs. Thats how this goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.