Will Kings Retire Peja's Jersey?

Have read all the thread, still don't have a problem with retiring Peja's number. Obviously he's not a no brainer, and he's a debatable choice, but he's one of the franchise's best players and played in the best team we ever had. I don't think Peja really cheapens the honour, to be honest. He wasn't a bad defender either, despite the stereotype. At least not with regards to man defense.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
IMHO, a player needs to be HOF worthy to get his number retired. And I don't think that being inducted into the Hall should be an automatic jersey retirement either. Although I can understand why this franchise would do so.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
IMHO, a player needs to be HOF worthy to get his number retired. And I don't think that being inducted into the Hall should be an automatic jersey retirement either. Although I can understand why this franchise would do so.
That's pretty tough for the Kings. My criteria for retiring a number is that it be a player we don't want to forget but there needs to be a compelling reason. Peja doesn't fit that criteria for me, personally. For example, Vlade might not be retired on a team that usually has great players (Lakers, for example) but Vlade was the glue that held our best team together both on the floor and in the locker room.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They could just as easily have a ring of honor for players that are somewhere in the middle. In which case 6 or 7 guys from the glory years would all get theirs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You and I are polar opposites in this regard. I don't think it should have anything to do with the Hall of Fame. It's our team and I think those players that have made the most impact on the team and the fans should be the ones acknowledged.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
So when does Bibby get his jersey retired?

If we're going to hang Peja's jersey in the rafters, the argument for Bibby isn't that tough to make if Peja level players are getting their number retired. Both were vital pieces to that squad. Webber was the foundation and Vlade/Bibby/Peja were all about equally important behind him, Vlade more for his presence.

I loved both Peja and Bibby, however don't believe either should have their jersey retired. Seems like a gimmick to me in an attempt to drum up excitement.

So when does Bibby get his jersey retired?

If we're going to hang Peja's jersey in the rafters, the argument for Bibby isn't that tough to make if Peja level players are getting their number retired. Both were vital pieces to that squad. Webber was the foundation and Vlade/Bibby/Peja were all about equally important behind him, Vlade more for his presence.

I loved both Peja and Bibby, however don't believe either should have their jersey retired. Seems like a gimmick to me in an attempt to drum up excitement.
I'm guessing since Bibby hasn't officially "retired" from the NBA, can't go about retiring his number yet.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I've changed my mind; I think I would lose sleep over this. I usually roll my eyes when guys like Bricklayer go on one of their "laughingstock of the league" benders but, honestly... I don't want my team to be the one that has three numbers retired from a squad that didn't even get to the Finals.

Stojakovic wasn't the guy who held the team together (Divac), he wasn't the guy who was the workhorse for three quarters (Webber) or even the guy who carried the team down the stretch (Bibby). He was a good player but, let's be real: Divac made that guy.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If we wanted an excuse to trot out the old guys again, couldn't we just, I dunno, "retire" Rick Adelman's "jersey" instead?

Honoring the best coach in Sacramento-era history might be less divisive than retiring the jersey of our second/third option on offense during the glory years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've changed my mind; I think I would lose sleep over this. I usually roll my eyes when guys like Bricklayer go on one of their "laughingstock of the league" benders but, honestly... I don't want my team to be the one that has three numbers retired from a squad that didn't even get to the Finals.

Stojakovic wasn't the guy who held the team together (Divac), he wasn't the guy who was the workhorse for three quarters (Webber) or even the guy who carried the team down the stretch (Bibby). He was a good player but, let's be real: Divac made that guy.
Why? What real difference does it make?

I'm not even arguing specifically about Peja in this instance. I'm more arguing about the whole "He didn't deserve it" as though there is something cast in stone about when a franchise can retire a number.

If the new regime chooses to honor a player by retiring his jersey and holding a special celebration, does it really matter in the large scheme of things? We're already the "laughingstock" of the NBA because we hung up our Pacific Division championship banner...

Almost without exception, the players on the squad that we all cherish were summarily dismissed, traded away and only shown recognition when it was good for the Maloofs to do so. Remember, they wouldn't even allow the cameras to show the reception Rick Adelman received on his first return to Arco.

Should Peja's jersey be retired? Maybe. Will it provide the renewed fanbase an opportunity to once again show their appreciation for everything those guys gave to us? Oh, hell yes if the previous two celebrations are any indication. One thing we know for sure is Vivek will do it up right.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Why? What real difference does it make?
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make any difference. And, since I don't work for the ball club, neither does anything else the Kings do or don't do. But, I choose not to let "what difference does it make?" serve as the determining criteria for whether or not something bothers me.

If that was the bar, I wouldn't be bothered by much of anything, and surely you know me better than that, by now... :p

They could just as easily have a ring of honor for players that are somewhere in the middle. In which case 6 or 7 guys from the glory years would all get theirs.
I love this idea. engrave the names somewhere... carve busts...make a special wing in the new arena to honor the special Kings. ... but to hang from the rafters is something different. Once you hang it up, you can't take it down. Don't do it for #16.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I love this idea. engrave the names somewhere... carve busts...make a special wing in the new arena to honor the special Kings. ... but to hang from the rafters is something different. Once you hang it up, you can't take it down. Don't do it for #16.
Post a large Sports Illustrated picture of the team and hang it on the wall inside the arena.

J

jdbraver

Well 95% of you wanted to draft John Wallace...so if 75% of you approve of Peja this time I'm ok with it.

hm. i think i would have preferred to see a championship banner hanging in the rafters before the kings decided to retire yet another jersey number. they already have ten of 'em up there (including the "6th man" jersey, representing the fans). that's not to say that peja stojakovic isn't deserving of such an honor; if it were my decision, i probably wouldn't retire his number, but a fair enough argument can certainly be made to the contrary...

i think i'm just put off by what could be thought of as an increasing amount of... gimmicks? that may be a more harsh descriptor than i would like. "distractions," perhaps? the kings are doing an unbelievable job in the PR/marketing department, but the product on the court remains the biggest question mark, with few realistic pathways remaining to improve it. i guess i just don't like feeling as if the new regime is throwing legacy bones in the fans direction to keep us happy while the losses continue to pile up. then again, perhaps i'm just being cynical. my spirits may brighten as we get closer to the start of the regular season (and the start of cooler weather)...

Hey look, we're a rinky-dink organization that has had some sunshiney moments and is truely going somewhere...somewhere where success is both attained and sustainable. Were it not for that team with Peja, we might never have the ambitions we now have, and we might not believe that greatness is even possible for the Sacramento Kings. We know it is, because we've seen it. If, on the journey we're taking, those taking us there want to celebrate the parts of our Kings story that remind us of these things, then I am all for it. Retire that jersey. Hang it high and proud. And if we run out of room, well hell...we'll just build a bigger arena. ;)

Honestly, I would have only retired Webber's number (No Vlade, no Peja), but I personally hold the honor of retiring one's number at a very high level. Apparently, Sacramento doesn't have that same line of thinking.

And that's not a knock on Vlade or Peja.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Peja's accomplishments (besides his rippling muscles):

1. Franchise leader in three-pointers
2. Second all-time in scoring
3. All-time leader in games played

And on a personal note, his shot from outside took my breath away. It was that beautiful.